Mystery Project at Epcot

Rob562

I agree with Soarin, I sent a note that they should have 5-6 continuous loops of different places across the world, Amazon, Alps, outback Serengeti, denali this way you never know which loop you will see. Similar to what they did for Star Wars.

Unfortunately, until they can figure out a way to go digital on Soarin', there isn't really an easy way to physically do this with the current setup. Attraction film projectors use a bin-loop system. This means that the film is essentially one continuous loop housed in one (or more) giant cabinets with the film looping back and forth around tons of pulleys. So the longer the film, the longer the film stock, and the larger the cabinets you need to hold it all. (Even more-so for the IMAX projector that is a faster frame rate than normal)

If you want to rotate through three different ride films, you need to triple the current bin-loop cabinet space they have up in the mezzanine. I'm not sure if there's physically any room for them to do so.

So until they can do a digital projection (which has been discussed many times about the problems associated with doing this) to eliminate the physical film, they're stuck with one film. (Of course that doesn't preclude two new films, one in each theater, and allowing Guests to choose their destination at the split point)

-Rob

Alektronic

Unfortunately, until they can figure out a way to go digital on Soarin', there isn't really an easy way to physically do this with the current setup. Attraction film projectors use a bin-loop system. This means that the film is essentially one continuous loop housed in one (or more) giant cabinets with the film looping back and forth around tons of pulleys. So the longer the film, the longer the film stock, and the larger the cabinets you need to hold it all. (Even more-so for the IMAX projector that is a faster frame rate than normal)

If you want to rotate through three different ride films, you need to triple the current bin-loop cabinet space they have up in the mezzanine. I'm not sure if there's physically any room for them to do so.

So until they can do a digital projection (which has been discussed many times about the problems associated with doing this) to eliminate the physical film, they're stuck with one film. (Of course that doesn't preclude two new films, one in each theater, and allowing Guests to choose their destination at the split point)

-Rob

There has been talk about converting to digital because the Soarin' attraction going in at Shanghai will be digital, so maybe if that works out well then they will install it in Epcot.

jmorri26

-Rob
I was confused til I reread your response but if their system is still film based, that's the problem here and desperatly in need of an update. That's a pretty old, slowly becoming extinct, technology. I've worked on 2 projection rides for other parks and both were digital through and through. In the end a drive was delivered, loaded on the projector and the ride was up and running. If my experiences were anything like Soarin, I'd think it would take little to update it short of a new projector which, new projectors for these type of rides usually are the hold up- they cost more that most of the ride to update. I haven't seen people talk about the disadvantages of a digital projector, so I'm not sure what those are though, but that seems the way everyone is going, so they should too.
I've heard a few people walk off Soarin confused that "That didn't look like the Magic Kingdom" at the end. The relevance of it being "over California" is lost at WDW.

CDavid

-Rob

Just thinking out loud, but would it be practical to physically change out the (single) film in the cabinets overnight? Multiple - maybe random - films, but only changed out once a day or week or whatever. Yes, digital would be much better and solve these issues, and if it is going to Shanghai, there is at least hope.

Many WDW shows seem ideal for a "multiple presentation" concept (imagine Energy with the original films, Ellen, and all-new production(s) all rotated at different times of day). The real obstacle is the cost of producing multiple shows in the first place. It's not unreasonable by any means, but we know Disney is never going to go for it.

Sue_Vongello

BS as far as I know.
I've never seen a Phineas or a Ferb but....no thanks.

Agreed. I think, while I like them, they have a shelf life ... I want something different in Imagination.

Now if they wanted to burn Captain EO and do a PF film ... I might be good with that, because they could change the film fairly easy ... oh ... wait ... Disney's track record of changing films ... oh ... crap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom