My next trip will be my last for a while…

JoeCamel

Sure, but that doesn't actually answer my question.

I enjoy my visits to WDW, but I'd enjoy WDW even more if the Disney hotels came with Express Pass for WDW.
It's a difference of scale, Universal has fewer rooms per park capacity then Disney does if Disney gave everybody express pass the express line would look like the lightning line

DarthVader

Sith Lord
A theme has developed on these boards, and yes, I'm part of it. There is a segment of members here who are Disney fans but are now disappointed and disillusioned with recent events. There is also segment of members here steadfastly defending Disney, which is fine, everyone's opinion matters.

We're still seeing crazy crowds at Disney, but I attribute that to it being the 50th, and the fact that you have to preplan a year in advance. I think people who would have considered disney in 2023 are thinking of alternatives. Will Disney be crowded next year? I would estimate they'll be busy but I do believe we will see a downward trend simply because they're pricing the experience out of reach of the middle class.

I'm not saying Disney is doomed, but for many of us, we think its either not worth it, or we cannot justify the expensive.

Food for thought, I live in Boston, and my now cancelled Feb 2022 vacation was on track to be about 12, to 14,000 dollars (in a moderate resort). I was able to book a Hawaiian vacation for less money for this Aug. That is shocking!!! I'm staying in Hawaii for 10 days, the Disney vacation was 8 days. I'm flying to two islands, and the flight cost from Boston to Hawaii (non-stop) is cheaper then what I was being charged from Boston to Orlando (I know this isn't Disney's fault). Personally I was in sticker shock with Disney, I had a major issue spending 12,000 to 14,000 dollars for what amounts to be a series of amusement parks. I love disney, and the experience but being middle class, needing to save up several years for a vacation. I just couldn't justify it.

I'm not knocking anyone who does go, its your money, and time, but I'd rather be on a beach in Maui, then waiting in line 2+ hour line for Rise of the Resistance, only to find it broke down again

Last edited:

Padre

I’m a Disney fan. I’ve been to WDW more than 30 times. I’m a shareholder. I’m the guy friends turn to when they plan trips.

But I’m pretty much done with Disney for a while.

I’m old enough to remember when IP wasn’t smeared across EPCOT. When on-property hotels were both specially themed places and affordable for a family of four. When Extra Magic Hours were, you know, actual hours. When Disney didn’t charge you to park at their hotels. When they picked you up and dropped you off at the airport, and the price of that service was baked into the cost of your stay. When you didn’t have to pay for FastPass. When you got MagicBands. When tickets for special events didn’t run you hundreds of dollars. When you’d never see a burned out light bulb on the facades of the Main Street USA shops, and when the insides of those shops were filled with unique items (like the magic shop). When all of the boutiques inside the EPCOT pavilions had unique and cool items from the countries they represented.

I remember a time when you could immerse yourself in the bubble and forget about the world that went on outside that bubble. It seemed that Disney corporate leadership worked hard to create and maintain that bubble, too.

But those days are long gone, and probably won’t return.

I get that the parks have to adapt to modern guest sensibilities. I get Disney is a moneymaking business.

But what I don’t get is how or why Disney has sucked the magic out of what used to be a special place.

Gone is the importance of the guest experience. Here is the new Disney, a woke corporation that will add their intellectual property to anything and everything, who will burst the bubble of fantasy with the preachiness, posturing, and lecturing of every other modern corporation, and who will charge you hundreds and thousands of dollars for the privilege.

Like sports leagues did to their games, Disney is ruining their products by letting their new corporate ideology permeate the way they operate their parks. Just as I watched a pro football game to escape from the crushing weight of the news, I would go to Disney to enter that bubble of fantasy. But as far as I can tell, that bubble burst and has been replaced by a greedy, unimaginative corporate landscape.

I’m scheduled to next visit Disney World in December. It’s going to be my last trip for a while. I’m showing my dissatisfaction with their woke-profiteering-first, improved-guest-experience-last attitude by taking my dollars elsewhere. If friends weren’t traveling a great distance to meet us there, I’d have already cancelled the trip.

Disney World used to be a magical place. It’s not anymore. It’s a mashup of politically correct profiteering coated with a veneer of intellectual property. And I can’t - and won’t - support it anymore.
You are spot on, and could not possibly be stated any better than you did. We, too, are a long-time Disney family, we have been about 70 times from 1990 to today. We are DVC members, and our kids are annual passholders. I'm about done, as well, with the woke culture, the burned-out lightbulbs, the pricing of ordinary families out, etc., etc. I weep at was once our family's go-to for escape and fun.

JusticeDisney

I’m a Disney fan. I’ve been to WDW more than 30 times. I’m a shareholder. I’m the guy friends turn to when they plan trips.

I’m old enough to remember when IP wasn’t smeared across EPCOT. When on-property hotels were both specially themed places and affordable for a family of four. When Extra Magic Hours were, you know, actual hours. When Disney didn’t charge you to park at their hotels. When they picked you up and dropped you off at the airport, and the price of that service was baked into the cost of your stay. When you didn’t have to pay for FastPass. When you got MagicBands. When tickets for special events didn’t run you hundreds of dollars. When you’d never see a burned out light bulb on the facades of the Main Street USA shops, and when the insides of those shops were filled with unique items (like the magic shop). When all of the boutiques inside the EPCOT pavilions had unique and cool items from the countries they represented.

I remember a time when you could immerse yourself in the bubble and forget about the world that went on outside that bubble. It seemed that Disney corporate leadership worked hard to create and maintain that bubble, too.

I get that the parks have to adapt to modern guest sensibilities. I get Disney is a moneymaking business.

But what I don’t get is how or why Disney has sucked the magic out of what used to be a special place.

Gone is the importance of the guest experience. Here is the new Disney, a woke corporation that will add their intellectual property to anything and everything, who will burst the bubble of fantasy with the preachiness, posturing, and lecturing of every other modern corporation, and who will charge you hundreds and thousands of dollars for the privilege.

Like sports leagues did to their games, Disney is ruining their products by letting their new corporate ideology permeate the way they operate their parks. Just as I watched a pro football game to escape from the crushing weight of the news, I would go to Disney to enter that bubble of fantasy. But as far as I can tell, that bubble burst and has been replaced by a greedy, unimaginative corporate landscape.

I’m scheduled to next visit Disney World in December. It’s going to be my last trip for a while. I’m showing my dissatisfaction with their woke-profiteering-first, improved-guest-experience-last attitude by taking my dollars elsewhere. If friends weren’t traveling a great distance to meet us there, I’d have already cancelled the trip.

Disney World used to be a magical place. It’s not anymore. It’s a mashup of politically correct profiteering coated with a veneer of intellectual property. And I can’t - and won’t - support it anymore.
👋🏻

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Jumpersmom

I couldn’t agree with you more or have said it any better, it’s always been a place to feel like a kid again and escape the real world.

Ayla

A theme has developed on these boards, and yes, I'm part of it. There is a segment of members here who are Disney fans but are now disappointed and disillusioned with recent events. There is also segment of members here steadfastly defending Disney, which is fine, everyone's opinion matters.

We're still seeing crazy crowds at Disney, but I attribute that to it being the 50th, and the fact that you have to preplan a year in advance. I think people who would have considered disney in 2023 are thinking of alternatives. Will Disney be crowded next year? I would estimate they'll be busy but I do believe we will see a downward trend simply because they're pricing the experience out of reach of the middle class.

I'm not saying Disney is doomed, but for many of us, we think its either not worth it, or we cannot justify the expensive.

Food for thought, I live in Boston, and my now cancelled Feb 2022 vacation was on track to be about 12, to 14,000 dollars (in a moderate resort). I was able to book a Hawaiian vacation for less money for this Aug. That is shocking!!! I'm staying in Hawaii for 10 days, the Disney vacation was 8 days. I'm flying to two islands, and the flight cost from Boston to Hawaii (non-stop) is cheaper then what I was being charged from Boston to Orlando (I know this isn't Disney's fault). Personally I was in sticker shock with Disney, I had a major issue spending 12,000 to 14,000 dollars for what amounts to be a series of amusement parks. I love disney, and the experience but being middle class, needing to save up several years for a vacation. I just couldn't justify it.

I'm not knocking anyone who does go, its your money, and time, but I'd rather be on a beach in Maui, then waiting in line 2+ hour line for Rise of the Resistance, only to find it broke down again
We just came back from Maui and had a great time. Enjoy!

Mindy55

The Disney parks and TWDC are invincible. Period. The pandemic has proved this.
While you believe that, it is possible to succumb to a hostile take over, it is possible to shut down or close parts of a business, it’s also possible for longtime companies to fall apart. It happens ALL the time. Disney (including the parks) at one time, was bought out (it’s more complex than that but to keep it simple) by Travelers Insurance Co.
so no, no company is invincible - who is funding/ fueling them may become an increasing concern though.

Imhere

If I felt like that, I honestly believe I wouldn't be near anything Disney, especially a Disney message board.

sinead

The title of this forum is WDW PARKS GENERAL DISCUSSION.
I joined & come to this forum expecting DISCUSSION & I expect I may disagree with some views.
I expect my views to be respected as everyone else's should be.

As a guest for 50yrs, annual visitor, APs, constant guest while living in FLA, DVC owner & shareholder for decades, I have opinions & I'm entitled to them. If I comment that hotel theming has been reduced & too homogenized for my taste or every store now resembles a mall store, someone can disagree, but telling folks they're wrong or it's not true is unacceptable. Trying to shut people down is unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

World_Showcase_Lover007

The title of this forum is WDW PARKS GENERAL DISCUSSION.
I joined & come to this forum expecting DISCUSSION & I expect I may disagree with some views.
I expect my views to be respected as everyone else's should be.

As a guest for 50yrs, annual visitor, APs, constant guest while living in FLA, DVC owner & shareholder for decades, I have opinions & I'm entitled to them. If I comment that hotel theming has been reduced & too homogenized for my taste or every store now resembles a mall store, someone can disagree, but telling folks they're wrong or it's not true is unacceptable. Trying to shut people down is unacceptable.
Exactly. Discourse and skepticism are healthy. What do people expect? For everyone to be pixie dusters? Never gonna happen. I know some ppl on here that would applaud and celebrate if Disney put a pile of manure on the sidewalk in Frontierland. There would be oooo’s and ahhh’s about authenticity and foresight. Well that ain’t me.

Most of us critics love Disney. In fact, we love it so much that we dare wish it to be great. Because great it is not currently. There is a stark difference disliking the brand, and disliking the management & it’s decision making.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Most of us critics love Disney.
I think much of the sheer disappointment and emotion, is because we do love disney, some of our most cherished memories are being at WDW, and when we see something that provided such fond memories, go in a direction that means vacations will not only be un-magical but overly expensive and at times drudgery - we speak out.

MagicRat

Well then after reading the last page, there should be a section of this fan page to be called WDW Parks General Opinions because what is being defended is an opinion and not something that this group wants to allowed to be an opened discussion. The OP of this thread was grandstanding, which happens on message boards as much as trolls. This thread and many others like it occur too frequently, they even pop up simultaneously.

I come on here to learn something I may not know about the parks that I too have visited for 40 years. Too often I come on here and see how upset they are with the state of Disney. I am not on too many message boards but that seems to be a common theme, costs too much and things aren’t as good as they once were.

If one needs to start listing their credentials; 40 years plus park goer, three DVC contracts, shareholder and at the time premium AP. There are plenty who have more and plenty who have less and it shouldn’t matter.

Disney has always been expensive and is constantly evolving. Some things you will like and some things you won’t, some like some things and some like others. What is going on is not bad or good and whatever it is will change again. Perhaps it’s not the parks that people are not really upset with and need to take a look in the mirror. Discuss you opinions how you want but do not be upset when the other side discusses them back.

Editor516

Original Poster
I think much of the sheer disappointment and emotion, is because we do love disney, some of our most cherished memories are being at WDW, and when we see something that provided such fond memories, go in a direction that means vacations will not only be un-magical but overly expensive and at times drudgery - we speak out.
This. Exactly this. I cannot tell you how many of my family’s stories involve something that happened at Disney World, or getting there, or returning from there. To see it change from what it was to what it is and what it seems like it will be is heartbreaking.

I need to clear up something - my main complaints are these:

1. While Disney was always a company interested in making money, “back in the day” there was or at least seemed to be a big focus on providing a great guest experience. To me, it seems like providing a great guest experience has been pushed aside for the focus on making a ton of money. I think long-time WDW visitors know what I mean. And even if you pay a lot of money for something (like an after-hours party), you’re likely to have a “good” guest experience but not a “great” experience because the value isn’t there as it once was.

2. Dovetailing into that: Disney as a company no longer seeks to improve the park guest experience but focuses on being a “woke” corporation. Rather than spend profits on things that will foster a positive guest experience, Disney is now choosing to spend profits on increased political lobbying efforts and corporate visibility efforts. I suppose Disney has the money to walk and chew gum at the same time, but from what I’ve seen, they do not.

And yes, Disney has for a long time pushed an agenda. But there is a major difference between building a solar farm on property or asking hotel guests to reuse towels to save water and using corporate profits to lobby for or against things like legislation changing voting laws. Disney is making a conscious choice to dive into deep political and social issues, allocating money (that could be spend on the park guest experience) to do so, and alienating a broad range of its customer base (and many employees, if recent news reports are to be believed).

I guess I hold out hope that I will see things improve on “my next trip” and change my decision that it will be my last. But the possibility of that happening … well, I’m better off wishing on a star.

Editor516

Original Poster
I come on here to learn something I may not know about the parks that I too have visited for 40 years. Too often I come on here and see how upset they are with the state of Disney.
The title of the thread was very clear. If you knew it would upset you, you should have read something else. It’s like tasting milk, finding it’s sour, and having another sip. Why do it? There are thousands of threads to read. Pick a different one that does not offend your sensibilities.

Discuss you opinions how you want but do not be upset when the other side discusses them back.
Since I made the original post the other day, I’ve been called a whiny (by someone else) grandstanding martyr (by you). That is not discussing them back. It’s name-calling. You can disagree with what I say but don’t question my motives or my right to express my opinions.

OneofThree

You can disagree with what I say but don’t question my motives or my right to express my opinions.
Exactly. Unless the substance of a post somehow violates TOS or commonly observed etiquette, I can't see where all other things being equal, all opinions shouldn't be welcome. There are plenty of opinions I don't agree with, some I may find irritating at times. It's my choice to click or not, read or not, and/or contribute or not.

Well then after reading the last page, there should be a section of this fan page to be called WDW Parks General Opinions because what is being defended is an opinion and not something that this group wants to allowed to be an opened discussion. The OP of this thread was grandstanding, which happens on message boards as much as trolls. This thread and many others like it occur too frequently, they even pop up simultaneously.

I come on here to learn something I may not know about the parks that I too have visited for 40 years. Too often I come on here and see how upset they are with the state of Disney. I am not on too many message boards but that seems to be a common theme, costs too much and things aren’t as good as they once were.

If one needs to start listing their credentials; 40 years plus park goer, three DVC contracts, shareholder and at the time premium AP. There are plenty who have more and plenty who have less and it shouldn’t matter.

Disney has always been expensive and is constantly evolving. Some things you will like and some things you won’t, some like some things and some like others. What is going on is not bad or good and whatever it is will change again. Perhaps it’s not the parks that people are not really upset with and need to take a look in the mirror. Discuss you opinions how you want but do not be upset when the other side discusses them back.

So is it simply opinion counter to your own which should be elimated, or all opinions?

Christina M

your post is spot on. I too am DVC and we would go 2 times a year. we cancelled our 2020 vacation in sept. because of the mask mandate, outdoors more than indoors. we were excited last year because they removed the outdoor and indoor then before our trip implemented the indoor. I noticed the change in the shops, how they became very commercialized. the park has become a hotbed for people taking offense over things and Disney becoming too PC. it was a great feeling of being immersed into the magic while there. cast members were wonderful in keeping that alive. now the corporate greed in higher prices for everything have dampened my spending. I refuse to use Genie, like we don't spend enough on AP 's. the cost of meals are higher and quality and quantity are lower.. when people like me or yourself say this, we are trashed, well don't go, stay home. that is not the point we are making. we went to Prime Time Cafe in HS and the food servers were not interacting with the diners. that was a let down. thanks to covid the entire park system has changed, and not in a good way. I get they want to make money. I get that they are extremely short staffed. but when we go we want to experience full on Disney, not half baked crap. in closing, I am grateful that this coming trip in May and Sept will be mask free. fingers crossed that they don't bring it back indoors. I hope people like you and me are going to get our "magic experiences" back. take care

Pirate Magic

I agree with a lot of the comments that have been posted. We been Going down to Disney for 20 years and yes we some really great memories and some not so great ones. But from what I have seen about Disney ( this is my opinion) they are sneaky they get Guest used to something like DME telling Guests it is a free service and then they took it away. We used it once didn’t like it and continued paying for a car service. And then remember before the pandemic they would give Guest a gift card for declining housekeeping service. Now I don’t want any housekeeping even if and when it comes back, we don’t need it. How many Guest declined the service for that gift card I bet you a lot. We didn’t, but after not being able to go down to Disney in 2020 my attitude changed about Disney. It was the first time I changed things around by force do to the pandemic. I bought breakfast food and water delivered to the room we went to a different Disney hotel and because there was no fast pass available and you had make park pass I didn’t have high hopes for that trip. But you what it was the first time in all these years we all had a great time. I guess me telling my family do not expect much because I didn’t have any high hopes for the trip it turned out well. Now this is a new hurdle Genie + I have already told them I am not going to pay all that money to go on rides that we have been going on for years free (not that I think it was free with the cost of tickets). Life I feel is what we make it I don’t like paying all this money to go down to Disney but my family looks forward to it. Again going down in September this year I have no high hopes I am hoping for the best. I do feel that the pandemic has had a rippling affect on everyone even businesses. All of us feel it every day even going to the supermarket, everyone is trying to make up for what we have lost. But I refuse Disney to take my magic away, I will make my own even if I am sitting on a bench at anyone of the Disney parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom