My next trip will be my last for a while…

BrianLo

I do suspect that sometimes people just have too unhealthy of a relationship with Walt Disney World. Even though Disney actively encourages it, visiting twice a year and spending all your vacation time at Disney isn't going to lead to a positive outlook during any period of time, long-term.

There are legitimate grips. The parks ARE more expensive and continue to outpace inflation.

The Pandemic has lead to some wholesale set backs, but most of it is still coming back online. Systems issues like MDE and Genie+ aside.

But I just can't follow that Walt Disney World is materially worse today than it was a decade ago. It really isn't. There are aspects and legitimate gripes, but take a step back.

Most of the best restaurants on property are new in the last decade. Disney Spring is significantly improved. As are Animal Kingdom and DHS (when the pandemic related entertainment finally comes back). There's even new on property transport system. Almost every park has had fairly major operational and guest flow improvements. Sure Epcot has problem and Magic Kingdom still hasn't dealt with capacity, but these were true 10 years ago too.

I think nostalgia and over-visitation are more the core issues. WDW is wonderful if you leave it alone as a 3-5 year treat. For some the addiction is either All or abstinence.

Goofyernmost

I do suspect that sometimes people just have too unhealthy of a relationship with Walt Disney World. Even though Disney actively encourages it, visiting twice a year and spending all your vacation time at Disney isn't going to lead to a positive outlook during any period of time, long-term.

There are legitimate grips. The parks ARE more expensive and continue to outpace inflation.

The Pandemic has lead to some wholesale set backs, but most of it is still coming back online. Systems issues like MDE and Genie+ aside.

But I just can't follow that Walt Disney World is materially worse today than it was a decade ago. It really isn't. There are aspects and legitimate gripes, but take a step back.

Most of the best restaurants on property are new in the last decade. Disney Spring is significantly improved. As are Animal Kingdom and DHS (when the pandemic related entertainment finally comes back). There's even new on property transport system. Almost every park has had fairly major operational and guest flow improvements. Sure Epcot has problem and Magic Kingdom still hasn't dealt with capacity, but these were true 10 years ago too.

I think nostalgia and over-visitation are more the core issues. WDW is wonderful if you leave it alone as a 3-5 year treat. For some the addiction is either All or abstinence.
Well, that is the issue. Not much has changed over the last 10 year in terms of product. However that hasn't stopped them from making massive increases in prices and effort required to just visit a theme park. In fact, that product is considerably less over the last two increases and now with Genie+ it has rocketed to the sky which is what all the complaining is about.

BrianLo

Well, that is the issue. Not much has changed over the last 10 year in terms of product. However that hasn't stopped them from making massive increases in prices and effort required to just visit a theme park. In fact, that product is considerably less over the last two increases and now with Genie+ it has rocketed to the sky which is what all the complaining is about.

I guess I’m comparing it to the decade that directly proceeded it. The last decade includes an overhaul to 3/4 parks and even technically captures New Fantasyland. Plus Disney Springs.

Maybe the future seems pretty dull or bleak? 2017-19 was a particularly strong run.

Goofyernmost

I guess I’m comparing it to the decade that directly proceeded it. The last decade includes an overhaul to 3/4 parks and even technically captures New Fantasyland. Plus Disney Springs.

Maybe the future seems pretty dull or bleak? 2017-19 was a particularly strong run.
Sure but for me Disney Springs is mostly a shopping center with some over priced eating establishments. It is insignificant to me as I hate shopping or paying $50 for a stalk of celery. Just previous to the Pandemic they built some spectacular new things, but I probably will never get to see them unless they stop the Premium charges over and above admission tickets just to see a theme park ride. Facing facts, WDW is no longer a destination for me after 39 years and 46 visits.

Lilofan

Sure but for me Disney Springs is mostly a shopping center with some over priced eating establishments. It is insignificant to me as I hate shopping or paying $50 for a stalk of celery. Just previous to the Pandemic they built some spectacular new things, but I probably will never get to see them unless they stop the Premium charges over and above admission tickets just to see a theme park ride. Facing facts, WDW is no longer a destination for me after 39 years and 46 visits.
One aspect of Disney Springs that is free ( for now ) is using the parking garage.

Occasional Guest

In the last 15 years, we have probably spent 10 weeks of our vacation time at Disney. We returned Saturday from a Spring Break trip and we made the decision that we won't be going back for a long time. While these items are anecdotal and based only on my memory of the parks, it is my perception of the direction of the parks. My opinion is that Disney has stopped trying to be the Worlds Best Parks and is now only concerned with separating guests from every dollar possible. While I understand that a corporations first duty is to enhance shareholder value, the decisions seem to be short sighted in maintaining the customer base Disney has typically had.

• Weeds growing on top of the Millennium Falcon.
• More trash littering Main Street and other parks than I remember.
• From the first day to the second day, the parade at Magic Kingdom was missing floats and dancers.
• "Room Service" every other day included only towel replacement. This seems pretty unacceptable given the premium price to stay on site.
• In uniform cast members in the wrong lands of the park.
• Frequent issues with the Skyliner causing a late night hike to the front of EPCOT to wait for a bus.
• Harmonious is in my opinion, not a good show. There is no feeling and is just fireworks timed to music. I could go to Kings Island and get the same experience.
• Not sure why the 30 minute early entrance is such a big deal when half of MK is closed for it and getting a bus there on time seems to be a hit or miss gamble.

Last edited:

Roy G. Dis

There are labor challenges everywhere. There are supply chain problems everywhere. Nothing in Spring 2022 will resemble Spring 2019. Don't let your egos write checks your Disney loving fandom can't cash, Mavericks.

Willmark

I've asked this question for the last 5 years and no one seems to know. If the cons are winning who are all these people packing the parks?? Heck, a number of people in these forums go back.

When exactly is this mass exodus supposed to happen. I'm serious, you really think the supposedly "cons" are winning??
Every year for the last 10 years I've heard HERE about how whatever current gripe is going to be the comeuppance for Disney and every year the parks get more and more packed. So in all seriousness how in the heck are the cons remotely "winning".
Nothing scientific but I suspect a lot of the surge lately is:
* the pandemic subsiding
* lots of “extra money” that people might have received which is now over.
* putting it on a credit card.

Points 2 and 3, especially 2 has the potential for fueling crowds we are seeing now.

Likely this is peak due to a variety of factors. I have a feeling that this time next year there could be a very different story due to inflation alone; it ain’t over and I’ll be highly surprised if it subsides by next spring. And inflation is just the tip of the iceberg as it were.

Willmark

Thank you. Interesting.
So everyone has to follow their own values and I've learned not to get up in an uproar over what companies "might" do. The last movie my baby neices and grands saw was Encanto. Lol they were more worried about why we didn't have a "magical" casita than anything else.
My experience has been that sometimes kids are a lot smarter than adults.
Thank you though for the link. Happy vacationing
Really it’s nothing more than the lastest dust up in the culture war, it won’t be the last.

As to your thought.? Same boat here. People aren’t going to view everything the same. Seems to me if people would start from that premise society would be a lot smoother.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom