My next trip will be my last for a while…

Club Cooloholic

Not that I need to defend my position but to provide added context. I will explain that this trip was not my idea. Friends from Europe want to visit the Florida theme parks and asked me to go since I am so familiar with them. We are doing Disney World and Universal.

Since they’re flying a quarter of the way around the globe, I figure that if they want to go to Disney World, we will go to Disney World. I’m not comfortable canceling their trip or dampening their enthusiasm because of my stand.

While I have been going long enough to lament the changes, this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them.
If they have any empathic sensibilities they will know you're not happy, so why put them through that. I get some of your complaints but jeez what does woke have to do with parking fees, it's about making money. And none of the changes they have made to rides over the years really makes or breaks my experience one way or the other, but if it makes for a more comfortable experience for others what do I care?
I miss things like Horizons and bands playing at resorts, not a "wench" being auctioned off on a boat ride.

Last edited:

Married5Times

30 minutes every day is more than one hour once a week, so thank you Disney for your expansion of this program!

hey! listen up........
you can only be in one place at one time: you don't get to enjoy 30 minutes at all 4 parks each day unless you're walking around WDW like a cloned-out Fred Flintstone from a 1964 episode.

so your response is disingenuous at best.

Club Cooloholic

I meant that, nowadays, it seems as if Disney is much more concerned with making political and cultural decisions than in improving the guest experience, producing a good product, etc. Recent stories indicate Disney wants to get more politically involved and politically active - not just in Florida and California but nationwide.

Meanwhile, this year, the Disney board of directors recommended shareholders vote against an initiative that would increase accountability for Disney’s corporate lobbying efforts, for example. So Disney will spend more and more money on political efforts and not be accountable to their own shareholders.

But… rather than go into all that detail and more in my original post, I just said “woke.”
You think Disney is lobbying on humanitarian issues? LOL. Here I thought it was about tax incentives and extending copywrites. Disney refuses to disclose where their lobby dollars go but towards LGBT or other marginalized groups...nope highly doubt it. Feel better? Now you can go enjoy yourself.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
hey! listen up........
you can only be in one place at one time: you don't get to enjoy 30 minutes at all 4 parks each day unless you're walking around WDW like a cloned-out Fred Flintstone from a 1964 episode.

so your response is disingenuous at best.
Nobody was going to the EMH park every single day under the old model. In fact, it was much more common for people to avoid the EMH parks because they would be disproportionately crowded after the initial 60 minutes were up.

Yeah, for the one guy who would go to morning EMH every single day at whatever park offered it, he'd be losing some park time.

Regardless, my comment was more regarding Disney's motivations. Including this on a list of things that they've eliminated or cut to save money at the expense of the guest experience is incorrect. This is increased cost to Disney intended as an enhancement to the guest experience. You can agree or disagree with whether they've been successful in that, but to frame it as a reduction or cut is just wrong on the facts.

Married5Times

If you drive and park, you shouldn't care that they cut DME. If you relied on DME, you shouldn't care that they charge you to park.

are you really saying that?

I guess you are.

so I shouldn't be miffed that Jungle Cruise has a 2 hour wait because I'm CURRENTLY waiting in a 2 hour line at Space Mountain. As if after I ride SM I will never walk across the hub and go ride JC. Hint: some people were doing both(using a car on property and then on another trip using the Express)

OneofThree

No you don't.

Every hotel that existed when you were a kid still exists now.

They either never were, or still are, depending on how you define "affordable."

30 minutes every day is more than one hour once a week, so thank you Disney for your expansion of this program!

Seems silly to complain about both of these in parallel. If you drive and park, you shouldn't care that they cut DME. If you relied on DME, you shouldn't care that they charge you to park. But yes, these are objectively cuts/price increases and I understand your frustration.

Genie+ isn't FastPass, and when we had FastPass, everyone kvetched and complained that they missed the good old days of standby only.

Those are a relatively new invention. If you want to talk about great the "good old days" were, then you're talking paper tickets.

When was that?

Viewing the past through rose-colored glasses here.

Do they not now? Norway has been neutered, for sure, but what else?

This sounds like a "you" problem. I have no problem doing just that.

Please cite examples of Disney's "woke" posturing in Walt Disney World. I share your political sensibilities, and Disney can be extremely heavy handed in their public statements, ESPN, and their media properties. But I just don't see it penetrating the parks like you're describing, at least not any worse than it's always been. Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable and Ellen's Energy Adventure were scolding guests about global warming since 1996.
What is the value of parsing the OP? Yeah, I understand. It gets old when threads abound that bash WDW in its current iteration. But it's clear to see that taken as a whole, some of these posts are more substantive than rants. I've absolutely loved WDW from my first visit in 1984. My next visit is in 2 weeks. I can, without doubt, say that the experience has changed dramatically. I dearly miss all of the things which were, and are now not. Likewise, I'm often put off by developments and programs which are in no way consistent with the business model or spirit of the property almost 40 years ago. This is honestly not even the same animal anymore, even within the walls of the Magic Kingdom.
That said (and for me personally), there's still quite a bit I enjoy about visiting, much of which involves experiencing these with my kids while I quietly reminisce. I'm thankful that the place still exists, understanding that the form it took when I was kid isn't feasible today. Make no mistake however, it's a different "World". Recognizing the extent of that, I can't begrudge someone for sharing those thoughts, particularly when WDW holds such a special place within so many of us.

erstwo

Meanwhile, this year, the Disney board of directors recommended shareholders vote against an initiative that would increase accountability for Disney’s corporate lobbying efforts, for example. So Disney will spend more and more money on political efforts and not be accountable to their own shareholders.
Untrue. The Shareholders elect the Board. Therefore, the Board is always accountable to the Shareholders.
Unless I missed something.....

Editor516

Original Poster
Untrue. The Shareholders elect the Board. Therefore, the Board is always accountable to the Shareholders.
Unless I missed something.....
This is untrue. The board is accountable to a majority of the shareholders, not just “the shareholders.”

BASS

Yeah, it’s a real head-scratcher why someone would take to a forum in which people explain how and why they became and remain a fan of something to also explain why they are no longer a fan of that same thing.
Disney is a hobby of sorts (or a vacation, depending on how you want to look at it). Regardless, if the hobby or vacation doesn't bring you much enjoyment any longer, then quit it and find something that does. But whining on a Disney message board because it doesn't fit your political views is, well, whiny.

Editor516

Original Poster
Disney is a hobby of sorts (or a vacation, depending on how you want to look at it). Regardless, if the hobby or vacation doesn't bring you much enjoyment any longer, then quit it and find something that does. But whining on a Disney message board because it doesn't fit your political views is, well, whiny.
You’re right! People who don’t agree with the direction of the parks and Disney corporate should just shut up and stay quiet!

I guess I should apologize for voicing a different opinion, which is now called whining.

Club Cooloholic

You’re right! People who don’t agree with the direction of the parks and Disney corporate should just shut up and stay quiet!

I guess I should apologize for voicing a different opinion, which is now called whining.
Well you really are showing everyone and especially Disney...going one more time. Maybe you will just drink water and not smile?

M&M fan

We just recently sold our DVC properties and won't be going back for a while, if ever again. It's not the same anymore. Fed up is the mood for a lot of Disney fans all across the globe, from what I've been reading and hearing. I really think the company is in trouble and not because of COVID, either. It was already headed this way if something didn't give and it didn't, so...Universal in Florida will be benefiting from this. I actually believe Disney World and Disneyland will fold in the next 30 years or so. It would be a miracle if it's still around.

Wendy Pleakley

We just recently sold our DVC properties and won't be going back for a while, if ever again. It's not the same anymore. Fed up is the mood for a lot of Disney fans all across the globe, from what I've been reading and hearing. I really think the company is in trouble and not because of COVID, either. It was already headed this way if something didn't give and it didn't, so...Universal in Florida will be benefiting from this. I actually believe Disney World and Disneyland will fold in the next 30 years or so. It would be a miracle if it's still around.

You really think that two of the most popular tourist destinations on the planet, that have been open since 1955 and 1971 respectively, are going to go out of business?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom