My next trip will be my last for a while…

SteveAZee

Those of us who criticize Disney are long time fans (my case 40Yrs) and have seen the decline of Disney from what it once was. We voice our complaints hoping Disney will hear and change. If that's whining so be it
I think there's also the desire to sway people here who don't see the problems as clearly as us old-timers do in the hope/belief that "more the merrier/madder" and it's more likely to get people not to go, or perhaps go less often.

I've had this sort of discussion with my brother, who doesn't vote. He feels that one vote doesn't matter. For me, the point is that each person gets to express their preferences and the more that do it, the more likely it is that the government and politicians will reflect the majority. Expressing concerns here spreads to others on the board, and then people on the board talk to friends, neighbors, family, and there's a ripple effect if what's said seems valid and true and worthwhile.

I would feel bad if someone was going to sink $10,000 in a family vacation at WDW without at least letting them know what they're in for. That's a lot of money to waste having a miserable time.

eliza61nyc

You’re right! People who don’t agree with the direction of the parks and Disney corporate should just shut up and stay quiet!

I guess I should apologize for voicing a different opinion, which is now called whining.
I think it's called whining when it becomes "ad nauseum". We have some posters that have never ever said anything nice I wonder when they actually liked wdw. That's all the every post is some form or fashion if how horrible the place is now.
It may just be me but hanging out at "fan site" when your no longer a fan seems to be a glutton for punishment. It's now actually a long running joke for this forum, lol see the spoof on this thread or the jokes about how it must be a day that ends in a "y" to hear someone complaining.

I do remember a while back when a suggestion was made that perhaps there should be sort of a sub forum for people who wanted to relive the glory days of wdw.

I also think it has to do a lot with how much of a factor Disney played in your life. For some Disney is darn near family so it feels like a "betrayal" to them, it's very emotional

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

We just recently sold our DVC properties and won't be going back for a while, if ever again. It's not the same anymore. Fed up is the mood for a lot of Disney fans all across the globe, from what I've been reading and hearing. I really think the company is in trouble and not because of COVID, either. It was already headed this way if something didn't give and it didn't, so...Universal in Florida will be benefiting from this. I actually believe Disney World and Disneyland will fold in the next 30 years or so. It would be a miracle if it's still around.
Real question.. did you sell your DVC for more money than you bought it at? Was it hard to find a buyer?

SteveAZee

I think it's called whining when it becomes "ad nauseum". We have some posters that have never ever said anything nice I wonder when they actually liked wdw. That's all the every post is some form or fashion if how horrible the place is now.
It may just be me but hanging out at "fan site" when your no longer a fan seems to be a glutton for punishment. It's now actually a long running joke for this forum, lol see the spoof on this thread or the jokes about how it must be a day that ends in a "y" to hear someone complaining.

I do remember a while back when a suggestion was made that perhaps there should be sort of a sub forum for people who wanted to relive the glory days of wdw.

I also think it has to do a lot with how much of a factor Disney played in your life. For some Disney is darn near family so it feels like a "betrayal" to them, it's very emotional
I think there's value to sharing (and hearing about) the 'why' of what made WDW magical for them, whenever that was.

LOL, conversely, I'd also be fascinated by anyone whose first trip to Disney was in 2021 and explain what was magical to them. Maybe we'd learn something.

eliza61nyc

I think there's value to sharing (and hearing about) the 'why' of what made WDW magical for them, whenever that was.

LOL, conversely, I'd also be fascinated by anyone whose first trip to Disney was in 2021 and explain what was magical to them. Maybe we'd learn something.
I have a lot of young parents and new parents that absolutely live wdw. I know two that brought into dvc because they plan on visiting for a while. You hit the nail on the head, it's hard to really understand some thing like a theme park, way back in the past. It's like when folks recommended watching those old ride videos (I forgot the member who has all these old ride videos) none of then made me say "wow Disney was so much better" . I didn't experience Mr. Toads wild ride so I have no reference.

Folks here complain about genie plus, My young boss said and I quote "I'll pay any amount of money to never stand in line with my 3 kids ". She never experienced free fast passes or no fps so that's not a hot button issue.
Every thing is relative

Andrew_Animatronic

It’s funny, my partner has never been to the parks while I’m in love with them, but we’ve been planning to go sometime soon. It feels weird knowing that first timers like her will never experience the classic WDW (old Epcot, MGM, etc.)

Goofyernmost

The Disney parks and TWDC are invincible. Period. The pandemic has proved this.
And that would be something one can thank Iger for. He diversified the overall company so that they were able to "get through" the loss of the parks revenue for that long. There was a time and I'm pretty sure doesn't go back any further then Eisner that Disney would have been in a very volatile spot had the Pandemic happened then. He might not have been involved with the parks as much as we liked, but what he was involved with made the company, as a whole, much more bullet proof.

BASS

Precisely. It's like a bad relationship. If it's not working out, leave. But hanging around and complaining about it while you stay in the relationship isn't going to make it better.

At the end of the day, Disney is supposed to be fun. No one "needs" it. If it doesn't bring you enjoyment any further, find another hobby. But hanging around a fan forum posting about how awful--and to quote someone earlier "miserable"--it is belies the lamentations about how crappy Disney is now and how you've had enough.

Editor516

Original Poster
Precisely. It's like a bad relationship. If it's not working out, leave. But hanging around and complaining about it while you stay in the relationship isn't going to make it better.

At the end of the day, Disney is supposed to be fun. No one "needs" it. If it doesn't bring you enjoyment any further, find another hobby. But hanging around a fan forum posting about how awful--and to quote someone earlier "miserable"--it is belies the lamentations about how crappy Disney is now and how you've had enough.
What about clicking on a thread that you know you’re going to dislike yet doing it anyway? What about reading the subject line, clicking on it, then posting how much you dislike these types of threads? Find another hobby.

If you not only don’t agree with the topic but also are going to actively complain about it, then skip the thread. There are lots more happy-sunshine posts to read in this forum. There are even humorous posts mocking these types of threads. Perhaps you should stick to reading those and others that better align with your (Disney) worldview.

Goofyernmost

I see it this way. We may be complaining about things in a non-living theme park and how it is being run based on actual things we experienced over the years. We are here because we love or loved WDW. You seem to just be here to complain about us. We remain because we want to make clear why we have gotten angry and trying to explain the way things once were and the disappointment of about how Disney abandoned some of it's most ardent customers. We are trying to get the message across that we feel that in spite of what seems like they are doing everything right, those of us around for 40 years know better and now instead of caring about the customer they only care about profits. We have the same right to express concern over something that was a large part of our lives for decades and feel that we remember when it was a real joy not a contest to see who can afford to spend the most money.

MickeyLuv'r

Was the title of this thread unclear?

Pot meet kettle?

MickeyLuv'r

Folks here complain about genie plus, My young boss said and I quote "I'll pay any amount of money to never stand in line with my 3 kids ". She never experienced free fast passes or no fps so that's not a hot button issue.
Every thing is relative
That is the VIP tour, not G+.

I personally like Universal's Express Pass. It very much = we don't stand in (long) line(s). It is super easy to use.

Prior to the rollout of Genie+, I was open to the possibility of paid Fast Passes, but G+ doesn't make it any easier or faster to tour WDW.

We pay for G+, AND we STILL spend most of the day waiting in very long lines.

Did your first-time WDW boss come back from WDW saying, "Wow! G+ was easy to use! I used it all day, and didn't wait in any lines?"

eliza61nyc

That is the VIP tour, not G+.

I personally like Universal's Express Pass. It very much = we don't stand in (long) line(s). It is super easy to use.

Prior to the rollout of Genie+, I was open to the possibility of paid Fast Passes, but G+ doesn't make it any easier or faster to tour WDW.

We pay for G+, AND we STILL spend most of the day waiting in very long lines.

Did your first-time WDW boss come back from WDW saying, "Wow! G+ was easy to use! I used it all day, and didn't wait in any lines?"
She said they had a fabulous time and are returning late September. She didn't mention any issues with genie plus. She did mention they weren't able to do the bippidy Bobbitt boutique.

It maybe also that her girls are young so they might not be trying to do the big rides.
They are going back in September.

My neighbor with two small kids are purchasing into dvc (resale) so I'm assuming they also had a good time

MickeyLuv'r

She said they had a fabulous time and are returning late September. She didn't mention any issues with genie plus. She did mention they weren't able to do the bippidy Bobbitt boutique.

It maybe also that her girls are young so they might not be trying to do the big rides.
They are going back in September.

My neighbor with two small kids are purchasing into dvc (resale) so I'm assuming they also had a good time
Sure, but that doesn't actually answer my question.

I enjoy my visits to WDW, but I'd enjoy WDW even more if the Disney hotels came with Express Pass for WDW.

eliza61nyc

Sure, but that doesn't actually answer my question.

I enjoy my visits to WDW, but I'd enjoy WDW even more if the Disney hotels came with Express Pass for WDW.
Sorry, I didn't ask here about genie plus and she did not comment on it so I have no way to conclusively answer that.

So no she did not return saying how easy genie plus was to use but neither did she come home complaining that it was difficult or expensive. Again I making a supposition on what she said and the fact that shes going back that they didnt have too much of an issue.
But then again I don't come back from my trips with that type of statement. I came back from Iceland and I didn't sat "wow the waterfalls were easy to climb".

I'd enjoy my trips to Disney if a lot of things were in place some Disney controls but others they do not. I'm a realistic type of planner. I decide based on what they currently offer.
I will specifically ask what she thought of Genie plus when I see her again

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom