My Magic + details ...

MOXOMUMD

It does not, Last trip I saw so many tweens buried in their iDevices, Definitely NOT making memories here, Look I design wireless systems for a living I have a vested interest in having as many people use wireless as possible but I like to put tech away while on vacation so I can spend time with family
My niece spent part of a trip reading a book she had downloaded while waiting in line for anything. Although I applauded her for reading, after the third day I made her lock it in the room safe each morning.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It does not, Last trip I saw so many tweens buried in their iDevices, Definitely NOT making memories here, Look I design wireless systems for a living I have a vested interest in having as many people use wireless as possible but I like to put tech away while on vacation so I can spend time with family
Agree completely.
I am a Producer and my cellphone, jetpack and laptop are practically grafted to my hands but when I am on vacation, the cell stays in the room. Not everyone wants to stare at a touch screen ... some of us actually like to unplug and slow our lives down while at Disney.

See my signature.

I have seen WAY too many people walk straight into someone else of a telephone pole on the sidewalk because they cannot stay in the real world long enough to know what is going on around them.

LostPrincessKarleigh

I only take my iPhone to the parks to check wait times from across the park and to take pics. :p but I agree about taking your nose out of your devices to enjoy being at Disney!
My youngest cousin was 7 1/2 years old on his last trip. He was wheeled around all the parks in a stroller while he played his Nintendo and my aunt would only make him put it down while he was on the rides. Thankfully, on day three of our trip it "went missing" and he had to take in the parades, shows, and all that was around him. ;)

wogwog

I keep hearing rumors that if the testing resorts go good that all resorts will be magic band ready at the end of October? Any truth to this???

No worry about the testing reports going good. They will go where Disney wants them to go. Disney is buying good reports with give away goodies to test subjects. Be sure you demand some before your last day. Disney also owns shredders.

So say friends working at various resorts and Guest Relations off the job and off property.

AdventureHasAName

As someone who thinks FastPass has had a negative effect on the parks experience ... I'm liking this whole FastPass+ thing because I think it's going to basically eliminate FastPass altogether. The vast majority of visitors are not going to book their fastpasses out ahead of time. Others will book FP for the wrong park on the wrong day (and not get to use them). And still others will book FP for an attraction that happens to be a walk-on during their window.

Sure, other aspects of FP+ are bad (the dining reservations and the FP+Only options), but they are bad concepts in and of themselves, it's not FP+ that's making them any worse.

All-in-all, this is a "win" for those of us who long for a return to pre-FP WDW, imho. Stand-by waits all over the parks are gonna drop like a stone.

One caveat ... the end game (could be a decade-or-more out) is the purchase of additional fastpasses and the further stratification of the guest experience. If you're a family that scraped by for years to afford the one Disney vacation, you will be screwed (and not even realize it). If you're wealthy and go a couple times a year ... or stay for two weeks at the Polynesian ... you're gonna be able to pony-up the cash and bypass lines all day and night. Or maybe if you stay at the Deluxe Resorts you get unlimited fastpasses, the Moderates get three, and the Values get one (and the schmuck staying at Howard Johnsons gets to watch people walk right past him all day). And that's a real shame. But that's where this thing is headed ultimately.

Last edited:

asianway

No worry about the testing reports going good. They will go where Disney wants them to go. Disney is buying good reports with give away goodies to test subjects. Be sure you demand some before your last day. Disney also owns shredders.

So say friends working at various resorts and Guest Relations off the job and off property.
FY2013 ends in 4 weeks - need to get it online so bonus checks can be collected...ready or not.

Weather_Lady

I understand the desire of some to return to the more relaxed pre-FP days, but make no mistake: The elimination of traditional Fastpass in exchange for Fastpass+ is NOT going to reduce overall wait for standby guests! Fastpass+ has not increased ride capacity. All it is going to do is spread out the waits more evenly across attractions, and make it more difficult for anyone to visit a headliner more than once.

With regard to the headliners, we have no reason to believe that the same number of Fastpasses won't be available for any given day as are distributed now for traditional Fastpass -- in fact, the flexibility of choosing a time may make Fastpass+ even more popular than the original Fastpass. If they're not all reserved for a given attraction on a given day, it is possible that the standby wait might decrease a little bit, but that's the best case scenario, and an unlikely one. Most days, the same number of people will be going through the Fastpass line as before. Meanwhile, the standby lines for most OTHER attractions are going to increase, because many of them will now have a fastpass line for the first time, which will slow down the standby line and create an artificially high demand for attractions that used to be walk-ons. In other words, you may now get to wait for Big Thunder Mountain for 35 minutes instead of 45, but you'll be squandering that saved time waiting in longer lines for the Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress or the Tiki Room.

At best, standby-only guests will now wait longer (because there will be Fastpass lines at more attractions slowing them down) and Fastpass+ users will break even (waiting less for 3 attractions, but waiting more for the others). Those who used to make good use of Fastpass will fare much worse than before, since they've lost the ability for multiple fastpasses and/or multiple headliners that they had under the old system.

Last edited:

KingStefan

One caveat ... the end game (could be a decade-or-more out) is the purchase of additional fastpasses and the further stratification of the guest experience. If you're a family that scraped by for years to afford the one Disney vacation, you will be screwed (and not even realize it). If you're wealthy and go a couple times a year ... or stay for two weeks at the Polynesian ... you're gonna be able to pony-up the cash and bypass lines all day and night. Or maybe if you stay at the Deluxe Resorts you get unlimited fastpasses, the Moderates get three, and the Values get one (and the schmuck staying at Howard Johnsons gets to watch people walk right past him all day). And that's a real shame. But that's where this thing is headed ultimately.

As understand it, it's already like this at DLP. Sure there are differences (fewer FP rides, for example), but still. How's it working out there?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand the desire of some to return to the more relaxed pre-FP days, but make no mistake: The elimination of traditional Fastpass in exchange for Fastpass+ is NOT going to reduce overall wait for standby guests! Fastpass+ has not increased ride capacity.

Nor did adding FP in the first place change ride capacity... yet there is a perception that FP changed waits right?

We hit this before... what standby waits are will be based on demand... not # of people in the standby line. Demand tends to exceed capacity for the headline attractions. For these, there will always be a wait. How much of a wait is self-regulating by people's tolerance for waiting in line. The net result is if people WANT to ride, they will be willing to wait longer. The consequence is really 'If less people get a FP for a ride - what is their true tolerance for waiting for that ride'. That will dictate the minimum wait. With FP, tolerance is low.. if I can't get a FP.. that tolerance may increase.

Just like the wait for 'new' attractions is higher.. more people are willing to wait longer.

AdventureHasAName

Nor did adding FP in the first place change ride capacity... yet there is a perception that FP changed waits right?

We hit this before... what standby waits are will be based on demand... not # of people in the standby line. Demand tends to exceed capacity for the headline attractions. For these, there will always be a wait. How much of a wait is self-regulating by people's tolerance for waiting in line. The net result is if people WANT to ride, they will be willing to wait longer. The consequence is really 'If less people get a FP for a ride - what is their true tolerance for waiting for that ride'. That will dictate the minimum wait. With FP, tolerance is low.. if I can't get a FP.. that tolerance may increase.

Just like the wait for 'new' attractions is higher.. more people are willing to wait longer.

Watch what happens ... attractions like Toy Story Mania and Peter Pan and Soarin will return to tolerable stand-by waits (well, TSM and Soarin for the first time), show-based attractions like Country Bears, Tiki Room and the Carousel of Progress will see increased attendance (without increasing waits), as will perennial walk-ons like the Peoplemover. Meanwhile, all the other attractions will see reductions in stand-by waits because the people who would have been standing in Pirates stand-by line with a Splash Mountain fastpass in hand will now be standing in the Splash stand-by instead.

Further, it will thin the park out at night because people won't be wandering around waiting out their last FastPass for Peter Pan that can't used until 11PM.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Watch what happens ... attractions like Toy Story Mania and Peter Pan and Soarin will return to tolerable stand-by waits (well, TSM and Soarin for the first time), show-based attractions like Country Bears, Tiki Room and the Carousel of Progress will see increased attendance (without increasing waits), as will perennial walk-ons like the Peoplemover. Meanwhile, all the other attractions will see reductions in stand-by waits because the people who would have been standing in Pirates stand-by line with a Splash Mountain fastpass in hand will now be standing in the Splash stand-by instead.

Further, it will thin the park out at night because people won't be wandering around waiting out their last FastPass for Peter Pan that can't used until 11PM.

Or more likely the TSMM line will be 4 hours instead of the current 2...

stevehousse

I honestly don't see that happening. With the new system everyone will be aware of FP instead of the smaller percentage that use them now. And spreading out the times throughout the day will really help that ride...

AdventureHasAName

There's no evidence to suggest that. There is plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite:

1. Similar rides (like Peter Pan) with similar lines and waits had far less congestion prior to FastPass, and
2. TSM in DCA (with no FastPass) has hardly any line - ditto Peter Pan at Disneyland.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
There's no evidence to suggest that. There is plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite:

1. Similar rides (like Peter Pan) with similar lines and waits had far less congestion prior to FastPass, and
2. TSM in DCA (with no FastPass) has hardly any line - ditto Peter Pan at Disneyland.

As someone who visits the Disneyland Resort frequently, Toy Story Midway Mania and Peter Pan have substantial wait times. Not nearly as long as the wait times in WDW but not exactly "short". DCA has more substantial attractions to pull guests from TSMM. Perhaps WDW can put together some "crowd soaking" attractions to solve that issue.

Conversely, Star Tours in California has waits for standby and Florida's attraction can be a walk on. I actually did this attraction, on both coasts, in the same day, last year.

*1023*

stevehousse

The only reason TSMM in DHS has the crazy long line that it does is because its the only ride in the park that small children can go on!

I really hope that they can add another ride or 2 in there that is kid friendly when DHS gets its expansion! One in the new Star Wars land and hopefully another in place of little mermaid show!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom