My Magic + details ...

Bolna

I'm all in for the Bubble! Not seeing billboards and tee shirt shops is a good part of the appeal for being in WDW for me.

The point is that there are options that are located inside the bubble, but are not owned by Disney. See @WDW1974's post about the Hilton and Waldorf at Bonnet Creek and the the Swan and Dolphin. Nobody staying there is seeing more billboards and tee shirt shops than someone staying at the Boardwalk or Pop Century.

dadddio

I have opted to not use contractions as a favor to a friend, but I have also opted to not go after your 3-4 emotional, sharply worded retorts to my post.

But this really deserves a response, a common sense one at that. No pixie dust included.

You overlooked my qualifier of the word 'most' in explaining the guest expectation whether staying at a WDW resort or any hotel. There are many reasons why guests opt to stay on property at Disney owned and operated lodgings.

It is their choice, it is their money.

I would ask, however, that you review the below scenario for a visit to WDW starting on 8/27 and ending on 8/30.

You could stay at the CBR in a standard view room for $170 plus tax. Or, you could consider staying at the Waldorf Astoria, just behind the CBR's tree line, for $171 per night (best available non-suite).

OK, you say that just isn't Disney enough? Fair enough, I can do better. Let's move over to the EPCOT resort area. I can put you in a room at the WDW Dolphin for $129 a night or, if you prefer, you can have the Swan for $139 a night.

Contrast that with Disney's lowest available rate at the Beach Club for these nights -- $360. For a hotel that's on the same transport network, the same perks including EMH and DME, and one thing that Disney will not offer you because it can't (or it refuses to) the loyalty perks of Starwood.

And, now, if you really want to be adventurous you can stay at the Ritz Carlton for $219 a night (the lowest available rate at the Grand Flo for these nights is $480).

As @englanddg explained, he has his reasons for booking on property. But he does so as an informed consumer who knows that he is paying far more for a less than product. That is his choice and I'm not questioning or criticizing that choice. Most folks, however, are buying into the Disney vacation without the savvy or knowledge of what is out there.

To me, the above example is sobering. To you?
Not really. Like most of your posts, you bathe everything heavily in your own bias and assume that anyone with a differing opinion is stupid. Meanwhile, you fail to back up your points. Whatever.

Here you claim the skill to know why 'most' people disagree with you. You have no real clue why people book WDW resorts, but you toss around non-Disney hotel prices as if that means anything. It doesn't, really.

People stay at WDW resorts because they believe that it is worth it to do so. To claim that 'most' people make this decision out of ignorance is just another example of your pretending to know things that you clearly do not.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Not really. Like most of your posts, you bathe everything heavily in your own bias and assume that anyone with a differing opinion is stupid. Meanwhile, you fail to back up your points. Whatever.

Here you claim the skill to know why 'most' people disagree with you. You have no real clue why people book WDW resorts, but you toss around non-Disney hotel prices as if that means anything. It doesn't, really.

People stay at WDW resurts because they believe that it is worth it to do so. To claim that 'most' people make this decision out of ignorance is just another example of your pretending to know things that you clearly do not.

I have no clue about many things, but some things life experience allows me to take a guess at, and in a discussion about cost and value the price of alternatives does seem relevant to me. But then I have no loyalty to any corporation.

ChrisM

Disney charges what they do simply because they can.

While I'm in general agreement with almost all of the sentiments expressed in these threads regarding the DDP, MM+, the inflated costs of lodging, etc, I unfortunately fit into a demographic in which I end up finding value/utility in all of these things.

To wit:

I have two young children who love the Magic Kingdom. I value my time and convenience above any particular dollar amount. So I happily shell out the extortionate rates for a cash reservation at BLT. It's a much shabbier property than it has any right to be at the rates being charged, but given the easy access to the MK and the superb room layout it's a no-brainer. I'll admit to chafing at the dinged walls, stained furniture, brutal bedroom lighting, and the family of Heehaws with their decade old mugs cramming their filthy, rotund selves into the one elevator bank everyone uses to get to the bridge to the Contemporary, but being able to take a quiet stroll over to the MK while they take the long way around in the monorail more than makes up for it.

Along those same lines, getting a room discount on a 2 bedroom at BLT is effectively impossible - and because I want room service and daily housecleaning (and have no desire to incur any risk via a points rental) as I would expect at even a mediocre resort - literally the only "discount" available to me is the free DDP. While I loathe what the DDP has done to dining resort-wide, and am embarrassed by the gigantic receipt stack that is forced upon you when handling the bill at the restaurants, it would be foolish for me to not at least use the credits freely offered to me.

And when it comes to FP+, I want to hate it. But given how I tour with young children (and often grandparents in tow), the prospect of scheduling top priority attractions well ahead of time is strangely compelling. Not having to run around the park grabbing FPs would be a big relief and allow me to spend more time with my family and tour at a more leisurely (albeit structured) pace.

I'm neither a rube nor uninformed. Yet Disney is going to make a mint off of me. Damnation.

YankeeMouse

Of course they have gift shops and billboards on the outside but they are not placed row after row and store after store. There is acres and miles of green space all around. Bubble all the way at WDW.

WDWFanDave

On the contrary, it matters very much because Disney's resorts do not exist in a vacuum. There are many lodging options in the Orlando market which are in competition for the same theme park guests.

Regardless, many people actually are not booking these Disney resort rooms at these inflated prices - they're instead booking at a discount rate or as part of a discounted package (like free dining). If the rooms were so clearly not overpriced, Disney should certainly be able to fill the rooms at rack rate, with no need to discount. But they can't. Rooms are instead being filled at rates closer to what the market is actually willing to pay.

If Disney wants to fill its resort rooms at the price levels they are asking, they need to provide value for the money. That means resorts with more amenities which reflect what you might expect of a hotel in a similar environment and price point, and more critically, theme parks which aren't stale and offer new and expanded experiences guests are anxious to explore.

I haven't read far enough beyond this to see if anyone's replied, but I will nonetheless:

Priced out a 5 night stay at POR in one of the 'Tiana' rooms; 5 day base tickets (no park hopping, no water parks), and 'Free' DDP. Just over $2k.

In my mind, here's how it breaks out:

5 day base tickets, and although I'm sure you could probably get a slight discount somewhere, I will go with the published rates for these from the WDW site: 2 adults, 1 child, $903

That leaves $1097 for room and dining

Since POR is a moderate, and pretty nicely done (certainly not extravagant, but along the lines of a fancy Hampton Inn, in my opinion), I'd expect to pay about $120 per night for the room; x 5 nights, that's $600

That leaves $497 for the dining portion. If prices were more realistic in the parks, I'd expect that character/sit-down dining should run about $25 per adult per meal, $20 per kid per meal; quick service/counter service about $15 per adult per meal and $5 per kid per meal; snacks about $5 per person each. So, add it all up, and you get $600 for food, at what I'd consider to be reasonable 'theme park' prices for food.

Package deal comes in at about $100 less than that for that period of time. Either take that off the room rate or the tickets, doesn't really matter.

All in all, it's easy to bash Disney for the rates they appear to be charging, and I'd argue a whole bunch are actually paying, but they do tend to back down to more palatable 'market' type rates with the specials they continue to offer.

Would it be nicer if they would just drop the bull and make things easier...sure, but look what happened recently to JCPenney when they decided to take that approach...consumers, by and large, are now accustomed to acting upon these deals because Disney (and any other company that has relied upon them to drive business) put them into play.

Anyway, I'll get back to reading now...just my two cents worth.

:)

bugsbunny

There is no value in Disney...ever. Their business is to make a profit and in this case, a huge one. Anyway you slice it, they are making huge amounts of money. And when you compare those prices to what it would cost to stay off property, you can see they are really raking it in. Whenever I think they have reached saturation point, I'm aghast to see that hotel and park tickets have gone up...again. $150/night to stay at Pop Century by the pool?? ITS A MOTEL! AoA is $315/night during that same period (2nd week of Oct). For a 1 1/2 motel rooms. I can't believe anyone thinks this is even remotely price worthy.

I can rent a house where 1 of the 5 bathrooms is bigger than the entire room at Pop and pay somewhere between Pop and POR in price. And in some cases, the house is closer to the parks than the hotels. The first time I was apprehensive about staying off property, but now that I've done, I can't see ever going back to staying at a WDW hotel.

It just seems the days of going to WDW on a budget or simply not breaking the bank are looooong gone. And if they were actually sinking this money into the parks, that would somewhat seem reasonable. But they aren't. Instead we get RFID bracelets and soda fountains that encourage $9 worth of soda to be drank per day per individual.

asianway

Disney charges what they do simply because they can.

While I'm in general agreement with almost all of the sentiments expressed in these threads regarding the DDP, MM+, the inflated costs of lodging, etc, I unfortunately fit into a demographic in which I end up finding value/utility in all of these things.

To wit:

I have two young children who love the Magic Kingdom. I value my time and convenience above any particular dollar amount. So I happily shell out the extortionate rates for a cash reservation at BLT. It's a much shabbier property than it has any right to be at the rates being charged, but given the easy access to the MK and the superb room layout it's a no-brainer. I'll admit to chafing at the dinged walls, stained furniture, brutal bedroom lighting, and the family of Heehaws with their decade old mugs cramming their filthy, rotund selves into the one elevator bank everyone uses to get to the bridge to the Contemporary, but being able to take a quiet stroll over to the MK while they take the long way around in the monorail more than makes up for it.

Along those same lines, getting a room discount on a 2 bedroom at BLT is effectively impossible - and because I want room service and daily housecleaning (and have no desire to incur any risk via a points rental) as I would expect at even a mediocre resort - literally the only "discount" available to me is the free DDP. While I loathe what the DDP has done to dining resort-wide, and am embarrassed by the gigantic receipt stack that is forced upon you when handling the bill at the restaurants, it would be foolish for me to not at least use the credits freely offered to me.

And when it comes to FP+, I want to hate it. But given how I tour with young children (and often grandparents in tow), the prospect of scheduling top priority attractions well ahead of time is strangely compelling. Not having to run around the park grabbing FPs would be a big relief and allow me to spend more time with my family and tour at a more leisurely (albeit structured) pace.

I'm neither a rube nor uninformed. Yet Disney is going to make a mint off of me. Damnation.
Why wouldnt you own at BLT and then spring for the daily housekeeping fee? I think youd be way ahead of the game. Im pretty sure anyone can get room service, owner or renter, no? Just a suggestion, I can see your point of view, but there is a cheaper alternative.

devoy1701

I haven't read far enough beyond this to see if anyone's replied, but I will nonetheless:

Priced out a 5 night stay at POR in one of the 'Tiana' rooms; 5 day base tickets (no park hopping, no water parks), and 'Free' DDP. Just over $2k.

In my mind, here's how it breaks out:

5 day base tickets, and although I'm sure you could probably get a slight discount somewhere, I will go with the published rates for these from the WDW site: 2 adults, 1 child, $903

That leaves $1097 for room and dining

Since POR is a moderate, and pretty nicely done (certainly not extravagant, but along the lines of a fancy Hampton Inn, in my opinion), I'd expect to pay about $120 per night for the room; x 5 nights, that's $600

That leaves $497 for the dining portion. If prices were more realistic in the parks, I'd expect that character/sit-down dining should run about $25 per adult per meal, $20 per kid per meal; quick service/counter service about $15 per adult per meal and $5 per kid per meal; snacks about $5 per person each. So, add it all up, and you get $600 for food, at what I'd consider to be reasonable 'theme park' prices for food.

Package deal comes in at about $100 less than that for that period of time. Either take that off the room rate or the tickets, doesn't really matter.

All in all, it's easy to bash Disney for the rates they appear to be charging, and I'd argue a whole bunch are actually paying, but they do tend to back down to more palatable 'market' type rates with the specials they continue to offer.

Would it be nicer if they would just drop the bull and make things easier...sure, but look what happened recently to JCPenney when they decided to take that approach...consumers, by and large, are now accustomed to acting upon these deals because Disney (and any other company that has relied upon them to drive business) put them into play.

Anyway, I'll get back to reading now...just my two cents worth.

:)

Your prices are a bit off. Your Port Orleans room is going to run you $140-$180 nowadays...You'd be luck to get a room for $120 considering passholder rates are about $125. Your sitdown meal, you're looking $30-$35 per adult considering that entrees are $15 and up, Drinks are $5, and tax a tip.

dadddio

I have no clue about many things, but some things life experience allows me to take a guess at, and in a discussion about cost and value the price of alternatives does seem relevant to me. But then I have no loyalty to any corporation.
If it were two items who's only difference is price, I would agree. That's not the case in this discussion, however. People who choose to pay more for a WDW resort do so because they believe that the expense is worth it.

ChrisM

Why wouldnt you own at BLT and then spring for the daily housekeeping fee? I think youd be way ahead of the game. Im pretty sure anyone can get room service, owner or renter, no? Just a suggestion, I can see your point of view, but there is a cheaper alternative.

I would never in a thousand lifetimes buy into DVC...or any timeshare program, for that matter.

WDWFanDave

Your prices are a bit off. Your Port Orleans room is going to run you $140-$180 nowadays...You'd be luck to get a room for $120 considering passholder rates are about $125. Your sitdown meal, you're looking $30-$35 per adult considering that entrees are $15 and up, Drinks are $5, and tax a tip.

Agreed...I was going more with what I felt they were worth and what was closer to the 'market' for the area.

If I were to add up everything at the full-on Disney rates, it would make it appear that we would be getting one heck of an amazing deal. Reality is that I feel like the rate that I saw was fair for what we expect to receive.

:D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If it were two items who's only difference is price, I would agree. That's not the case in this discussion, however. People who choose to pay more for a WDW resort do so because they believe that the expense is worth it.

Is that not exactly the same sort of supposition you criticise others for making?
Perhaps worth it is the wrong terminology. As for knowing what others are thinking I try to accept that what they post on sites like Trip Advisor may just be their own opinions at that time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
P.S. Out of my altruistic nature, I often give sets of fast passes for attractions to the unsuspecting father and son or daughter and mother. I am sure many here do this when they are just "done for the day". I am more than a little saddened that this practice of mine will be eliminated under the new system. At least, I can still do it at Disneyland.

This was one of my favorite things to do because when family too tired to enjoy parks why stay longer, Even did it with a 'magic' fastpass to a father and daughter as it was last day we were exhausted.

Disney just seem h--- bent on removing all magic from the Parks and Resorts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom