My Magic + details ...

Lee

Adventurer
I know it's not the inside diet that @WDW1974 posted, but I did speak at length with a Cast Member in they My Magic + booth yesterday. They were not allowed to appear in on camera interviews.
http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/2013/08/10/d23-expo-august-9-2013-my-magic-and-fastpass
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread...

This part right here:
  • When asked about availability of same day Fastpass for high demand attractions, it was established that this is a concern. However, it was also explained that the system as currently set up is a first come, first serve system.
  • At this time, there will be no Fastpasses held back for same day availability.
Is what makes it a permanent fail, at least to me. I really hate MM+ more with every new bit of info. Horrible.

Buried20KLeague

I know it's not the inside diet that @WDW1974 posted, but I did speak at length with a Cast Member in they My Magic + booth yesterday. They were not allowed to appear in on camera interviews.
http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/2013/08/10/d23-expo-august-9-2013-my-magic-and-fastpass

So as I suggested... Those testing the system are getting preferential treatment, and not working with the rules as they will be applied.

Surprise, surprise.

This is gonna be a fun train wreck to watch. It really will be.

Animaniac93-98

These two points contradict each other:

"For guests getting same day Fastpasses, they will have access to book Fastpasses for later in the day, not just the next available Fastpass"

"At this time, there will be no Fastpasses held back for same day availability."

My guess is that those testing can't get same day ones, but in the future they will be.

Lee

Adventurer

"For guests getting same day Fastpasses, they will have access to book Fastpasses for later in the day, not just the next available Fastpass"

"At this time, there will be no Fastpasses held back for same day availability."

My guess is that those testing can't get same day ones, but in the future they will be.
I don't think that's what he is saying.
As I am understanding it, you will be able to get same day ones....just so long as they weren't all taken by the advance bookers.

It's what I feared from the beginning. If I just show up for a day, there is a good possibility that all the FP for, say, Splash Mountain will be gone before the day even starts due to people booking them all days in advance.

I'm not happy about this at all. One of the only bright spots was the possibility that a percentage of FP would be un-bookable in advance in order that the day guests would have a chance at getting them day of. It now appears that this won't be the case. It's become "Book them weeks early or run the risk of not getting one at all." It's the ADR nightmare all over again, only worse.

rudyjr13

I don't think that's what he is saying.
As I am understanding it, you will be able to get same day ones....just so long as they weren't all taken by the advance bookers.

It's what I feared from the beginning. If I just show up for a day, there is a good possibility that all the FP for, say, Splash Mountain will be gone before the day even starts due to people booking them all days in advance.

I'm not happy about this at all. One of the only bright spots was the possibility that a percentage of FP would be un-bookable in advance in order that the day guests would have a chance at getting them day of. It now appears that this won't be the case. It's become "Book them weeks early or run the risk of not getting one at all." It's the ADR nightmare all over again, only worse.

So if I want to take my 2 daughters (2 and 4) on Dumbo next year AND I have no idea when I'll be at Dumbo, I'll be forced to go to standby and the playground?

Lee

Adventurer
So if I want to take my 2 daughters (2 and 4) on Dumbo next year AND I have no idea when I'll be at Dumbo, I'll be forced to go to standby and the playground?
Yep...that's pretty much the case.
Unless you either book your FP times in advance or you get lucky and there are some left (at reasonable times) on the day you are there.

rudyjr13

Yep...that's pretty much the case.
Unless you either book your FP times in advance or you get lucky and there are some left (at reasonable times) on the day you are there.

Definitely annoyed with that. Just can't plan that far in advanced. Plus the 4 year old had a melt down last Nov when it was time to leave the playground...

Rob562

Not to mention that all cast costumes are now RFID chipped- so go figure...

-em

Meh. RFID is the costumes just makes it easier to check in/out the costumes. Rather than having to fish for the barcode sewn into the costume like they used to, they can just wave the article of clothing near the reader and check it in/out.

-Rob

flynnibus

Premium Member
Meh. RFID is the costumes just makes it easier to check in/out the costumes. Rather than having to fish for the barcode sewn into the costume like they used to, they can just wave the article of clothing near the reader and check it in/out.

-Rob

That's kind if the point - just because RFID is present, it doesn't mean nefarious things

KingStefan

It's funny - I just realized that as I'm reading this thread and contributing, my dd15 is reading 1984 for HS English summer assignment! Ha! No message here, just thought it was a funny coincidence!

dadddio

:rolleyes:

I know you're a massive defender of TDO, but come on.

I'm gonna have to start calling you jt. Got any pointless and way off base predictions you feel like tossing out there? Might as well go whole hog.
That was a serious question.

The post that you responded to was about how FP+ would work when it was operational (and frankly didn't include any new information). Your post was about how FP+ testers were getting preferential treatment over current FP system users and that the testers weren't limited to the rules that will be in place when it goes live. I simply asked you how you got to your post from his post. I merely wanted you to expound on your post so that we all would understand your point better.

It should be noted that testers certainly are getting preferential treatment since they are able to get FP+ FPs and use the current system. Also, since this is a test, it's not surprising that everything isn't working as it would when FP+ goes live. For instance, as I understand it, FP+ testers have full use of the current FP system, whereas once FP+ goes live, they will apparently not be able to pull same-day FPs until they begins to use their prereserved FPs, per the T&C.

dadddio

Testers can get same day ones. They just do so using the current FP system.

I think that what the previous poster meant is that once FP+ goes live, users will be able to select the time of their same day FPs just the same as they do for their prereserved ones instead of having to take the next available time slot via the current FP system.

Last edited:

dadddio

Maybe. It all depends on how many FPs they make available for Dumbo and how many people choose to prereserve those FPs.

stalkingmickey

So if I get 3 FP they have to be all at the same park and once i pick my 3 lets say at MK I will not be able to cancel a MK fp ride for a DHS FP ride on the same day? this does not go well with hopper passes that they charge a lot of extra money for!!!

DisneyCane

So if I get 3 FP they have to be all at the same park and once i pick my 3 lets say at MK I will not be able to cancel a MK fp ride for a DHS FP ride on the same day? this does not go well with hopper passes that they charge a lot of extra money for!!!

I would assume (and we know what that does) that the one park limitation is due to them trying to get the system working properly first and that eventually there will be an ability to do multiple parks in the same day. I don't know if the overall limit would be the same or if you'd get 3 in each park. I would think that they will have to allow multiple park FP in the same day or they will kill the park hopper business. Unless that is what they are trying to do and they want people to go to one park a day instead of park hopping to two in one day and having a day at Universal or Sea World.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a note with some new info that I receieved. I wanted to put it here, but my part in any discussion will be up on Spirited News, Obervations & Thoughts IV starting on or about page 175.

Here's some information (weird somewhat troubling stuff) related to NGE that has just come into my possession and the source has allowed me to share with just a few slight omissions and edits of mine that in no way change the substance of the material. Here it is ...

<<<

A lot of resources have been directed at overcoming line-of-sight deficiencies or occlusions to gather data within structures. A focus on where in a given store, or structure, a “target” (guest) dwells or hovers appears to be especially important as well as precise geolocation for any “down time” which I understand to mean time not on NGE’s scheduling.

Quasistatic magnetic field technology and investigation is referenced to reduce interference from indoor settings and problems relating to multipath propagation.

While I will stay away from specific surveillance technologies deployed, Disney has specified that its program will include the ability to “radically impact” tracking in part by marrying vision systems with depth sensors. “Characterizing” the image of each individual within a given setting to provide seamless monitoring from outdoor to indoor environs and back is heavily referenced.

The need to target and capture park guest characteristics with a specific focus on guest mobility…in part by “exploiting” the WiFi networking infrastructure “time-of-flight measurements…or precise localization” is incorporated in the NGE project.

There now exists an entire 'division' focused exclusively on data mining and artificial intelligence as well as advancing or adapting materials for both.

New types of biometric identification are cited, some are remarkable if achievable given their stealth nature. Meaning, you will have no notion that you are being ‘scanned and detected’ by this technology. As I've yet to receive confirmation this is actually operational, and it goes into the whole facial recognition discussion, I would rather leave it there for now.

With regard to what some individuals have revisited – the removal of the gates to Pleasure Island and what that signaled, as we have discussed, Walt Disney World now has no gates at its four main gates. The idea at PI was to increase traffic, to encourage the seamless flow from one end of Downtown Disney to the other. Not really a comparison here.

Unless, that is, you see each person passing through that ‘point of entry’ as a data point. And your desire is to measure that flow of data with remarkable precision.

It should also be mentioned that Disney addresses the aim/goal/mandate of NGE to include the forced “migration” of guests from “desirable areas and attractions” to “less popular ” locales.

Moreover, there is a referencing to “limitations on actual resources” that appears to indicate Disney is greatly motivated to strictly govern your experience which could include your exclusion if TWDC determines its limited resources at WDW could be better served by not providing you access. For example, a childless couple in the 45+ demo could be determined to be unworthy or ‘a drain’ on resources when contrasted with the potential of a young family with several additional revenue streams and new data lines for mining.

Known contractors in the sector like Lumidigm and Safran's L-1 Identity Solutions appear to not have the capabilities Disney is requiring for NGE. IQT, through its partners and alliances, is doing work that overlaps if not mirrors many elements NGE.

While I still cannot say if TWDC is both a developer and client, it seems unlikely Disney is riding solo on this given the scope of the technology and the many references to WDW being "the venue" for what are termed 'field experiments' with the same. Also, unlike previous moves, this is not merely a technology upgrade.

Many people might remember that at the last one of those, with the biometric reader installation, Disney used those words. They are not being used today. And, back then, when security concerns were raised, the very company doing the installation, based on the Lumidigm product, said all it would take is selecting an already existing option to capture all of the data that was raising these concerns.

Not very reassuring. Especially as we learn more about the level, the detail of scrutiny our every move seems to warrant.

Disney said it wasn't back then. Capturing the data, that is. Now, Disney is saying you (the guests) are "opting in" by wanting to experience their product at WDW. In a model whereby that guest really has no choice but to accept the aim/goal/mandate of NGE.>>>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom