My Feelings on Holiday Crowds as a Cast Member

maxairmike

First, if you read my entire post, you would have also read "...I can speak from experience when I say that I can directly relate with the CMs' frustrations." So, since I have "lived it," as you say, I will offer my opinions here, which are shared by many.

Second, your apparently emotional reaction to my post is reminiscent of the kind of reactions from CMs in the parks that are outright inappropriate from a CM (and is contributing to the decline in quality of customer service). This is especially common among CP CMs who - albeit are usually very well intentioned - simply haven't lived long enough to develop the skills (or emotional maturity) required to deal with the complex guest interactions.

Third, some guests are generally rude, and other guests outright cross the line (and I mean legally cross the line, not just in my subjective opinion). So, when I "lived it," and guests crossed the line, they were trespassed from property.

Our jobs are our jobs. For most of us, there will always be aspects of our jobs that we don't like, or simply can't stand. No one here is defending the guest who yelled out at a short CM, or disagreeing with you that the guest was "in the wrong" or otherwise behaved inappropriately. But that's what happens when a business opens its doors to thousands of people from all corners of the earth.

Thus, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Otherwise you could end up on YouTube with the words "Disney" and "fail" in the title, which is not something Disney will be happy about. :brick:

BTM's point was very valid, and nothing is black or white. As someone who has worked in other parks for several years (leadership included), there is nowhere else I'd rather be than working the midways of a park. I love it, and can "take the heat," as you like to say. I am far from an infallible human being, and have had my share of snaps at rude or inconsiderate guests, though. Does that mean I should "get out of the kitchen?" Hardly, it's just human. Heck, I get fellow employees snapping at me via email in my current office job. I know we expect the CMs to never show a shred of negative emotion, but that is - in all honesty - a rather ridiculous expectation (especially when you consider the statistics).

You can only hold it in so long. Just because the point was reached at an inopportune time does not mean the person should "get out of the kitchen."

Clever Name

First, if you read my entire post, you would have also read "...I can speak from experience when I say that I can directly relate with the CMs' frustrations." So, since I have "lived it," as you say, I will offer my opinions here, which are shared by many.

Second, your apparently emotional reaction to my post is reminiscent of the kind of reactions from CMs in the parks that are outright inappropriate from a CM (and is contributing to the decline in quality of customer service). This is especially common among CP CMs who - albeit are usually very well intentioned - simply haven't lived long enough to develop the skills (or emotional maturity) required to deal with the complex guest interactions.

Third, some guests are generally rude, and other guests outright cross the line (and I mean legally cross the line, not just in my subjective opinion). So, when I "lived it," and guests crossed the line, they were trespassed from property.

Our jobs are our jobs. For most of us, there will always be aspects of our jobs that we don't like, or simply can't stand. No one here is defending the guest who yelled out at a short CM, or disagreeing with you that the guest was "in the wrong" or otherwise behaved inappropriately. But that's what happens when a business opens its doors to thousands of people from all corners of the earth.

Otherwise you could end up on YouTube with the words "Disney" and "fail" in the title, which is not something Disney will be happy about. :brick:

Well said. Most of the guests are well behaved. That small percentage of people that don't know (or care) about the rules is the reason why CM's are hired in the first place. If everyone was nice, WDW would need far fewer CM's. The "bad actors" are really just a form of job insurance for CM's. :wave:

Tink ッ

One of my friends posted yesterday on facebook that a guest went up to him and said "How do you feel knowing that you are stuck here working while your family is opening presents and eating a nice meal without you? Suck to be you!" I was shocked at how heartless that guest was. Yes we know we are away from our families. Yes we know you are with your family and we are working. Don't rub it in.

Oh guests can be a lot more rude than that! A friend of mine who worked in the Norwegian ride had a guest come up to her and say: "You know what? You are the ugliest person I have ever seen!" And then just walked away again.

A bit more on topic: I don't agree that a good CM is a person who never reacts is a negative way. It all depends and on bad days, even the best of us can fall apart. Working in WDW for me was very varied and I've had the best days ever in a job there and the worst days there. If you're exhausted for example, it's a lot harder to deal with difficult situations and you might end up saying something you shouldn't. Or sometimes it might be someone new dealing with a new situation for the first time. For example the second time I worked as an International CM, on my first week back, I had a guest coming up to me in the Norwegian restaurant who was very upset and kept rambling about how the server hadn't given them the bill yet and that she needed to leave the restaurant. And as she was leaving while she was saying this I panicked and blurted out "but you can't leave without paying". This made her even more furious, because she would never do that, and her family was still in the restaurant (I didn't know this at first, but could've guessed if I had more time to gather my thoughts). I sure didn't mean to be rude, I just panicked when she was leaving. She got so upset that she spoke to my manager, and luckily he was able to defuse the situation and I think he handled it perfectly with both me and the guest :)

I must admit though, that even if I've worked at several places with the worst guests/customers you can find. It's an experience I've learned from and I really appreciate that. I've learned to better do my job, and I've learned to be a better person because of it (because I know I never want to treat people the same way).

Timekeeper

You can only hold it in so long. Just because the point was reached at an inopportune time does not mean the person should "get out of the kitchen."

I can't help but wonder if Walt himself would train his CMs to honestly believe that "you can only hold it in so long" ... :cry:

The truth of the matter is, if the "point is reached at an inopportune time," then yes, the person should "get out of the kitchen." Because guess what, in any job setting, if that "point was reached" at the President or CEO, instead of a guest, then that employee would probably be asked to leave the kitchen. End of story.

If a behavior (or attitude) is not okay to demonstrate to the VIPs of a company, then it surely is not okay to demonstrate to that company's guests and customers.

Lest we not forget, CMs are always "on stage." They don't have to "hold it in" forever; just while "on stage." And if the guest's behavior is actually outrageous, then there are resources that may be used to have them arrested.

Those who believe that Walt's standard was too high are probably the ones contributing to the decline in customer service that we have all noticed in the parks. :cry:

fillerup

Didn't take long for this thread (like most any other) to turn into a peeing contest.

Peace on Earth, etc etc etc......

joanna71985

See this one?

tumblr_luw9hlOTCV1r5lifho1_400.jpg

Yesterday, a CM was screamed at by a guest for letting in a Make a Wish family without (and I quote) "confirming whether or not they are actually dying."

I post this not to complain, but to wonder "aloud" about there actually being people like that out there.

Yes there are, unfortuantely. I've had guests get upset with me when Make-A-Wish families stop by the line

One of my friends posted yesterday on facebook that a guest went up to him and said "How do you feel knowing that you are stuck here working while your family is opening presents and eating a nice meal without you? Suck to be you!" I was shocked at how heartless that guest was. Yes we know we are away from our families. Yes we know you are with your family and we are working. Don't rub it in.

I know who you're talking about (he's my good friend).

bullsforthewin

I have lived it too and i take exception your jab at the CPs...i was a CP and i did a great job and whenever i had a rude guest i would handle it how anyone in the industry would, talk down to them in a way that makes them feel stupid but is not blatent....that is the trick and a smile helps. If you smile at a rude or ignorant guest and more of less make fun of them they will not understand that you are making fun of them.

bullsforthewin

I can't help but wonder if Walt himself would train his CMs to honestly believe that "you can only hold it in so long" ... :cry:

The truth of the matter is, if the "point is reached at an inopportune time," then yes, the person should "get out of the kitchen." Because guess what, in any job setting, if that "point was reached" at the President or CEO, instead of a guest, then that employee would probably be asked to leave the kitchen. End of story.

If a behavior (or attitude) is not okay to demonstrate to the VIPs of a company, then it surely is not okay to demonstrate to that company's guests and customers.

Lest we not forget, CMs are always "on stage." They don't have to "hold it in" forever; just while "on stage." And if the guest's behavior is actually outrageous, then there are resources that may be used to have them arrested.

Those who believe that Walt's standard was too high are probably the ones contributing to the decline in customer service that we have all noticed in the parks. :cry:

I dont mean to be rude but you are the reason why guests act so bad...you are the type of castmember who does not speak up to a rude guest and makes them think they can act like a jerk to everyone. If a guest talked down to me or a fellow CM i would be level headed and call him out for it and still stay in character. Too bad CMs like you make guests think that they are allowed to be d-bags

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I dont mean to be rude but you are the reason why guests act so bad...you are the type of castmember who does not speak up to a rude guest and makes them think they can act like a jerk to everyone. If a guest talked down to me or a fellow CM i would be level headed and call him out for it and still stay in character. Too bad CMs like you make guests think that they are allowed to be d-bags

For you trying NOT to be rude, that was Kind of a rude statement for one who JUST today joined this forum.

zooey

Walt's standards were high, yes, but a CM shouldn't turn into a strange, perpetually happy automaton. I'd rather see a human side to the CM in a tough situation (within reason and Disney-friendly still) than a blank nodder enabling a rude or surly guest.

bullsforthewin

For you trying NOT to be rude, that was Kind of a rude statement for one who JUST today joined this forum.

Sorry if you think that the date of you joining means that your point is less valid. But what i said was the truth. One time i calmly called a guest out for being rude, which is easier to do when you work at the resorts since you staying is character is not as well defined, and after he apologized he told me he thought he did nothing wrong since another CM said nothing to him when he yelled at him for no reason

bullsforthewin

Walt's standards were high, yes, but a CM shouldn't turn into a strange, perpetually happy automaton. I'd rather see a human side to the CM in a tough situation (within reason and Disney-friendly still) than a blank nodder enabling a rude or surly guest.

If this was facebook i would "like" your comment. I work in the hospitality field and if people thought more like you then the world would be a much better place

Mansion Butler

Didn't take long for this thread (like most any other) to turn into a peeing contest.

Peace on Earth, etc etc etc......
I don't understand how it became an argument about whether or not CMs should snap on stage. That was never a part of the original post or any of the early replies.

WDW1974

Remember folks, this is directed at the 5% of guests who deserve it, not you.

Five percent of guests??!?!

I think you're being very kind.

In my decades of experience enjoying the MAGIC of WDW, I've found that about one of every 3-4 park guests would likely immediately combust into a ball of flames :fork: if boorishness, crashness and stupidity caused spontaneous combustion. :xmas:

WDW1974

OK, this looks like a fun little ______-peeing contest ... I'd rather empty my bladder elsewhere.

Merry Christmas ... Happy Hanukkah ... and a great 2012 to all!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Oh guests can be a lot more rude than that! A friend of mine who worked in the Norwegian ride had a guest come up to her and say: "You know what? You are the ugliest person I have ever seen!" And then just walked away again.
IMPOSSIBLE!!! The people at the Norway pavilion are some of the most attractive people in the world!

Timekeeper

I have lived it too and i take exception your jab at the CPs...i was a CP and i did a great job and whenever i had a rude guest i would handle it how anyone in the industry would, talk down to them in a way that makes them feel stupid but is not blatent....that is the trick and a smile helps. If you smile at a rude or ignorant guest and more of less make fun of them they will not understand that you are making fun of them.

It's not a "jab" at all. It's an observation that has been discussed in other threads on this forum with which others have agreed. The fact of the matter is, CPs are traditionally going to be much younger, and thus have fewer "life experiences" that will assist in dealing with highly stressful situations. As I mentioned in my post above, I have no doubt that the majority of CPs are well-intentioned. But, as a person with CP experience yourself, you probably knew of fellow CPs with priorities different from your own. Life experience and maturity cannot be taught in a classroom or traditions lecture. By way of analogy, any "new" member of any profession, be it medicine, law, the armed forces, whatever, will simply not have the "walking around knowledge" and experience as their more experienced colleagues. Does that fact constitute taking a "jab" at the rookies? Of course not. But it is an undeniable variable that plays a role in the end result. Are there older CMs that demonstrate bad attitudes? Of course. But as many of us on this board have already acknowledged, Disney's quest for cheap labor (via the CP program in particular) has lead to a noticeable decline in customer service. It has nothing to do with how well-intentioned people are.

To the contrary. If a guest crosses the line with me, they end up in handcuffs. If a guest is generally rude, I can either take them aside to remind them as to the "code of conduct," or just smile at the thought of them just letting everyone else around them know how much of a "d-bag" they are. But CM "retaliation" is not appropriate. Some CMs think that two wrongs make a right (such as "If a guest talked down to me or a fellow CM i would be level headed and call him out for it and still stay in character"). "Call him out for it and still stay in character?" Other CMs know better.

There's a difference between a "human side" and an "inappropriate side." Remember, CMs are agents acting on behalf of the Mouse. I never suggested a "perpetually happy automaton." If a guest is "rude or surly," there are ways to deal with that guest that do not include a "smile and nod" or retaliating with smart-aleck remarks. The more mature CM understands that lowering themselves to the rude-guest's level is not the appropriate response. Here's an example: if a guest doesn't take their seat in a theater, is the more appropriate response for the CM to show their frustration over the loudspeaker for the entire theater to hear, or approach the guests and handle their non-rule-following-behavior appropriately? Let's face it, the guest could have a legitimate problem (such as hearing impairment) that is not immediately noticeable from a distance. Making a quick assumption that the guest is simply being intentionally rude is a rookie move. Imagine the overwhelming embarrassment that the CM would feel in the even that they guessed wrong.

I don't understand how it became an argument about whether or not CMs should snap on stage. That was never a part of the original post or any of the early replies.

The OP included the comment, "Wanting to literally cuss someone out and another guest jumps in and goes "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING?!"" Also, the OP noted that the "rage" illustrations were courtesy of "Rage Cast Member."

So, if a CM feels this internal "rage" (that's literally the word that was used) and actually desires to curse at guests, then that emotion will either (i) be at least somewhat observable by guests, or (ii) the CM will let it show in their guest interaction, whether it is by "snapping" or by simply lowering their quality of customer service. This "rage" is a response to rude guests, or what I referred to as "heat in the kitchen." The degree to which a CM lets this heat "get to them" is largely dependent on experience and maturity. My guess is that the CMs that are most likely to "snap" are the ones that can't leave their "rage" behind when they go home; and instead feel the need to blow off some steam by blogging about it.

On that note, I suppose it's better that the CMs release their "rage" online instead of at guests in the parks. At least it's a step in the right direction. The subsequent steps involve controlling the degree to which they allow themselves to be "enraged." But that's a skillset that's usually developed over time.

No one expects CMs to be perfect. And no one expects CMs to ignore mistreatment. CMs are humans who voluntarily decided to take on certain responsibilities at a place where there are certain expectations. If those responsibilities and expectations are too much for them to handle, then they are better suited for employment elsewhere. I'm sure that most of us have had an interaction with a customer service representative with some company and thought to ourselves, "Wow, if they hate working with customers so much, then why do they work in that role?" That's not a thought that Disney wants its guests leaving with.

The key point here is whether CMs handle stressful situations in the same manner that they would if they knew that Walt was watching the interaction. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it sure as heck ought to be better than the rest.

Chef Mickey

The straight up abuse Disney cast members put up with is honestly shameful. As a frequent guest, I always go out of my way to express my gratitude for the job 99% of CMs do in very difficult situations. Guests at Disney are some of the worst I've seen and many feel like they are owed something. When things aren't going well for a guest (Crowds, kids can't see, parade cancelled, fireworks delayed, etc), many take it out on the CMs.

These people do not get paid well at all and to see how much effort CMs put in compared to others who make the same small hourly wage is just incredible. Go anywhere else in the "real world" where people make the same money and you can barely get help. Go to any department store, Six Flags, restaurant, etc.

Disney doesn't do everything right, but they do hire VERY good people and have great management to keep CMs motivated (because it certainly isn't the money). If nothing else, employees generally seem to like their job and are proud to work at Disney.

Kudos to all CMs and Disney for doing a splendid job.

P.S. to Cast Members: I help where I can (telling fellow guests off if needed and giving them the bad news if something they think Disney should be doing just isn't true).

I even saw a CM after a parade emptying the trash cans get visibly down when someone just threw their coke at the trash can and missed. He had to clean it up and I cheered him up. The stuff people do because they don't have to clean it up is really just amazing. Sometimes:

i-dont-want-to-live-farnsworth.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom