Muppets Mini-Land / Muppets Courtyard Additions & Refurbishments

EPCOTCenterLover

I shouldn't be able to see anything from Fantasyland in Liberty Square- it breaks immersion. That's why the MK is built on top of a tunnel system, because Walt didn't like seeing a Frontierland Cowboy in Tomorrowland. This is not just a theme park where we throw some rides together and call it a day. They aren't complaining you can see the HM from Liberty Square. They're complaining that you can see a European (fantasy/annimation accented) tower from the Haunted Mansion and Frontierland.

I love the total immersion thing as well. You should really go to DLP. Each land is so well separated from the others that each one feels like an individual theme park. Frontierland and Adventureland in particular excel in this area.

Last edited:

tl77

Sesame Street never was anything to do with Henson, he just made the characters for the Childrens Television Workshop.

See http://henson.com/sesamestreet.php
They didn't just create the characters though, Jim Henson, Frank Oz and others, preformed the characters for a few decades, and the current performers, like Eric Jacboson do both Muppets and Sesame Street characters, he in particular now does all Frank Oz's characters.

But I'm pretty sure the Sesame characters are off limits in the Disney parks because the rights belong to the Sesame Place park which owned by operated by SeaWorld Entertainment

lilclerk

I thiiink Disney only owns The Muppets you would think of from The Muppet Show, like Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, etc. and Bear in the Big Blue House, and in a twist, they got rights to Labyrinth in the Lucas deal. Not sure about Dinosaurs, they may not own the characters, but still have the rights to distribution of the show.

They don't own things like Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Storyteller, movies like The Dark Crystal and so on. Those are still owned by The Jim Henson Company (except Sesame Street, which was sold to Sesame Workshop in 2001, I believe.)

FigmentJedi

I thiiink Disney only owns The Muppets you would think of from The Muppet Show, like Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, etc. and Bear in the Big Blue House, and in a twist, they got rights to Labyrinth in the Lucas deal. Not sure about Dinosaurs, they may not own the characters, but still have the rights to distribution of the show.
Nope, Labyrinth is still at Henson.

Cmdr_Crimson

Not sure about Dinosaurs, they may not own the characters, but still have the rights to distribution of the show.
Jim Henson's Dinosaurs are owned by Disney. Shame they could use them as M&G characters for AK's Dinoland since they had them out at Disney*MGM...
latest

Jon81uk

They didn't just create the characters though, Jim Henson, Frank Oz and others, preformed the characters for a few decades, and the current performers, like Eric Jacboson do both Muppets and Sesame Street characters, he in particular now does all Frank Oz's characters.

But I'm pretty sure the Sesame characters are off limits in the Disney parks because the rights belong to the Sesame Place park which owned by operated by SeaWorld Entertainment

Yep there are three groups of Henson characters.
Sesame Street characters created (and originally performed) by Henson but always owned by Sesame workshop.
Muppets created by Henson and sold to Disney (and Big Blue Bear sold to Disney).
Other characters including Fraggle Rock are still owned by the Henson company.

And you are right in that the Sesame Workshop characters are licensed to the SeaWorld group.

tl77

Sesame Street characters created (and originally performed) by Henson but always owned by Sesame workshop.
Muppets created by Henson and sold to Disney (and Big Blue Bear sold to Disney).

And you are right in that the Sesame Workshop characters are licensed to the SeaWorld group.

They've had other Henson related characters in the parks over the years like the Dinosaurs which some one posted above here, and the creature effects for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films in the late 80's early 90's were done by the Henson company, shortly after which they started showing up in the MGM/DHS park... these things don't need to be owned by Disney to appear in the park like Aerosmith and Twilight Zone (although they both may be on the way out)

I just think it's kind of odd that Disney cancelled the new Muppets TV show, then decided to build the a themed area in DHS and have them come to Liberty Square... but Fraggle Rock is now making a come back on TV... it so goes against Disney's new agenda of corporate synergy

FigmentJedi

Sesame Street was more of a co-ownership situation. Sesame Workshop didn't get full custody until the late 90s. In fact, it was one of the factors that lead the initial Disney deal to collapse because Eisner was looking at the Sesame characters with dollar signs in his eyes, but Jim/the Henson family after his death were insistent that they be the only thing Disney wouldn't get in the sale.

Jon81uk

They've had other Henson related characters in the parks over the years like the Dinosaurs which some one posted above here, and the creature effects for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films in the late 80's early 90's were done by the Henson company, shortly after which they started showing up in the MGM/DHS park... these things don't need to be owned by Disney to appear in the park like Aerosmith and Twilight Zone (although they both may be on the way out)

I just think it's kind of odd that Disney cancelled the new Muppets TV show, then decided to build the a themed area in DHS and have them come to Liberty Square... but Fraggle Rock is now making a come back on TV... it so goes against Disney's new agenda of corporate synergy

Disney didn't buy the rights to the Muppets until the early 2000s so in the 90s all the Henson characters were under a similar license.

ScottKC

I had a hard time getting past Piggy and Kermit being broken up and him dating another pig on the new TV series, It is the number 1 factor why I just couldn't get into it. I was more forgiving of it in the Muppets film because they seemed to get back together by the end(and the movies are "standalone" tales with the muppets "cast" as characters. But it was harder having to live with that convention on a week to week basis, it just put a cloud over the show for me. So I ended up giving up on the show. Not saying everyone had or should have had the same feelings though. Still love the characters and are excited to see them have a greater presence in the parks.

Herbie

I had a hard time getting past Piggy and Kermit being broken up and him dating another pig on the new TV series, It is the number 1 factor why I just couldn't get into it. I was more forgiving of it in the Muppets film because they seemed to get back together by the end(and the movies are "standalone" tales with the muppets "cast" as characters. But it was harder having to live with that convention on a week to week basis, it just put a cloud over the show for me. So I ended up giving up on the show. Not saying everyone had or should have had the same feelings though. Still love the characters and are excited to see them have a greater presence in the parks.

Every time I hear about the show's supposed faults, it just draws my attention and makes me want to actually watch it... The Office format, the celeb cameos, the cheesy dramatic dilemmas such as their breakup. Sounds great.

NearTheEars

The baby from Dinosaurs was sitting in a window on Streets of America the last few years during the Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom