More families of autistic kids sue Disney parks

SCB502

If these families win the lawsuit we should all claim that our children have autism so we get to go to the front of the line also. When everyone goes to the front it would defeat the purpose of this lawsuit.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
If these families win the lawsuit we should all claim that our children have autism so we get to go to the front of the line also. When everyone goes to the front it would defeat the purpose of this lawsuit.

This has been suggested. I am sure I fall somewhere along the Aspergers spectrum (FOTL please...). Since claiming a disability can not be contested, they will effectively be creating a worse problem than existed before. The will be hoisted on their own Petard so to speak. My guess is that they are not thinking of this outcome. As I have mentioned, there may be many participants in these lawsuits that are there for the money.

Put another way. I think the pursuit of these lawsuits will harm and hinder the very people they are purporting to help. They will create a longer wait ultimately for everyone with a legitimate disability and create a new way to "game" the system for those who don't. If there really was a lack of accommodation issue, don't you think the DOJ would be touting their dogged pursuit of a giant corporation?

*1023*

Tuvalu

Premium Member
if you don't like the Disney system and your kids cannot handle lines, you don't have to go to WDW for your vacation.
This times 1,000!! People seem to forget that Disney is a private corporation, and as such there is no public "right" to vacation there. Disney has the right to run its parks however it chooses...in this case, Disney is being very fair in accommodating everyone.

arko

This times 1,000!! People seem to forget that Disney is a private corporation, and as such there is no public "right" to vacation there. Disney has the right to run its parks however it chooses...in this case, Disney is being very fair in accommodating everyone.

actually no, Disney has to follow the law which is the crux of this case. the families are suing because they believe that Disney is not following the law in regards to them. Our opinion or Disney being a private company has no bearing on this or the other case, both of which will be decided by a judge

Bairstow

People also seem to forget that as a place of public accommodation, Disney is required to comply with the ADA.
It doesn't matter whether they're a private corporation or not.

You're right that Disney has the the right to run its parks however it chooses... but since it has chosen to open its parks to the general public for commerce, these parks are places of public accommodation subject to the ADA.
You don't get to hide from the Constitution and the laws of the United States just because you're not a government entity.

ParentsOf4

actually no, Disney has to follow the law which is the crux of this case. the families are suing because they believe that Disney is not following the law in regards to them.
This misconception seems to come up all the time. Not only are private companies required to comply with ADA, but the law explicitly identifies amusement parks as needing to comply.

Goofyernmost

People also seem to forget that as a place of public accommodation, Disney is required to comply with the ADA.

You're right that Disney has the the right to run its parks however it chooses... but since it has chosen to open its parks to the general public for commerce, these parks are places of public accommodation subject to the ADA.
You don't get to hide from the Constitution and the laws of the United States just because you're not a government entity.
And therein lies the rub... Disney is not only complying with ADA guidelines it is exceeding them. ADA says equal access. In that matter of a building that means that a ramp must be created as a supplement to stairs. That equalizes the right to access. With a theme park no one else has front of the line access unless they are the first ones there. However, that need is covered by issuing a "come back at" pass that indeed does put them in the front of the line. Not a necessary accommodation and one that certainly isn't including everyone under equal access, it just helps to control abuse and accommodate those that have unusual problems.

I hope that there is a reasonable number of people that realize that because I feel that we are slowly getting to the point where the government is shackling the businesses in any effort to achieve organized control of crowds. I am surprised that counter class action suits haven't been filed at this point as the businesses get fed up with being the targets for everyone's individual problems.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
actually no, Disney has to follow the law which is the crux of this case. the families are suing because they believe that Disney is not following the law in regards to them. Our opinion or Disney being a private company has no bearing on this or the other case, both of which will be decided by a judge

I didn't mean to imply that Disney is above the law and should not follow ADA requirements. I agree it should and believe that Disney's current policy is fair and non-discriminatory (though yes, it is up to a judge to decide). My beef is with people who think a Disney vacation is an entitlement, and believe their needs supersede the needs of everyone else. Or that their "rights" to a perfect vacation should trump rules and policies. If you can't abide by the rules (for whatever reason) then perhaps you should not vacation at Disney. That's all.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

My beef is with people who think a Disney vacation is an entitlement, and believe their needs supersede the needs of everyone else. Or that their "rights" to a perfect vacation should trump rules and policies. If you can't abide by the rules (for whatever reason) then perhaps you should not vacation at Disney. That's all.

I don't think ANYONE disagrees with that sentiment. :D

Bairstow

And therein lies the rub... Disney is not only complying with ADA guidelines it is exceeding them.

Well, that's the argument.
Since neither the state nor federal laws spell out what constitutes "reasonable accommodation" for children with autism in a theme park , and no court with controlling authority has ruled on the question, there's room to argue whether what Disney is doing is or is not in compliance with the law.

Disney6166

This is really absurd. It's not like they are forcing these families to stand in the blistering sun for hours waiting for an attraction. They are saying "here, come back in 30 minutes, and we'll let you right on. In the meantime, feel free to have a snack, use the restroom, enjoy an air conditioned store, or even ride another attraction that has no line."
You could not have said it anymore eloquently.

Disney6166

I feel bad for these families with a family member with this disability, but it seems they want to come to the parks ride every E-ticket ride in 3 hours not have to wait for anything. I believe Disney has given them a great system to work within with having to return to the ride. I have seen plenty of families use it very successfully. These 58 families seem to want extreme accommodations so they can enjoy the parks for themselves at the expense of the family member who has this disability.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom