More booze at Disneyland

*George

"The kind of people who want to drink at Disneyland are not people who should be at Disneyland." - Walt Disney

Last time I checked, Walt hasn't been the proprietor of Disneyland for close to six decades.
I'm skeptical of quotes attributed to Walt, much like those memes that float around with quotes from Abe Lincoln about his iPhone.

We need to remember that Disney controls the narrative of Walt very tightly, and that what we know about him (from them) is only what they want us to know.

Consumer

Last time I checked, Walt hasn't been the proprietor of Disneyland for close to six decades.
Good point, the WDC is doing a better job at running the parks than Walt Disney ever did. That guy had it all wrong and we shouldn't listen to his words.
I'm skeptical of quotes attributed to Walt, much like those memes that float around with quotes from Abe Lincoln about his iPhone.

We need to remember that Disney controls the narrative of Walt very tightly, and that what we know about him (from them) is only what they want us to know.
"Believe this Consumer guy, he knows what's up." - Walt Disney talking to Abraham Lincoln

Here's the actual quote:

“No liquor, no beer, nothing. Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don’t want and I feel they don’t need it. I feel when I go down to the park I don’t need a drink. I work around that place all day and I don’t have one. After I come out of a heavy day at the studio sometimes I want a drink to relax.”

Point all just being Walt knew alcohol would attract losers and didn't want them in the park, hence why Club 33 was the only place that served alcohol as it was the only part of the park where losers were outright forbidden from entering.

*George

Candidly, digging up an old Walt quote from more than half a century ago does little to further the argument without actively discussing the societal differences in alcohol perception and consumption that's evolved within those sixty-something years.
I suppose we can find a "Walt quote" to justify anything, such as, "Disneyland will never be finished," that it will continue to evolve, or some such. He might not have liked the idea of a pay-one-price park admission either, but I'm sure there's something we can find and take out of context to prove or disprove that. But Judge Judy would cry "hearsay" in a New York minute.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Point all just being Walt knew alcohol would attract losers and didn't want them in the park, hence why Club 33 was the only place that served alcohol as it was the only part of the park where losers were outright forbidden from entering.
Ah yes, so drinking is only for losers unless you're a rich corporate sponsor with deep pockets to help fund Disneyland and then its ok drink all you want.

If Disneyland is a dry park, then it should have been dry everywhere including Club 33. If its good enough for the rich elite then its good enough for the masses.

Consumer

Ah yes, so drinking is only for losers unless you're a rich corporate sponsor with deep pockets to help fund Disneyland and then its ok drink all you want.

If Disneyland is a dry park, then it should have been dry everywhere including Club 33. If its good enough for the rich elite then its good enough for the masses.
Yes. I love rich people. They're better than the rest of us.

Consumer

Or how about this, if you don't like alcohol at Disneyland, then don't drink while you're at Disneyland. It being offered is in no way infringing on your day in the Parks, not that you really go at this point anyways.
As stated, it's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's the losers the alcohol attracts. I don't think there's anything wrong with chicken, but if you leave it out you're gonna get flies. Put the chicken in the fridge and leave the alcohol outside the Resort.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As stated, it's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's the losers the alcohol attracts. I don't think there's anything wrong with chicken, but if you leave it out you're gonna get flies. Put the chicken in the fridge and leave the alcohol outside the Resort.
Hate to break it to you, but a couple things....

1. Those "losers" as you call them are already in the Parks, not having alcohol in Disneyland itself isn't going to keep them out.
2. Alcohol has been served on Resort premises for something like 20+ years now, and technically was inside Disneyland in 1957 when you could drink at Holidayland. And continued even after that land closed when you could hop on the Monorail, grab a drink at any one of the hotel bars and hop back on the Monorail and re-enter the Park.

I'm honestly surprised its taken this long for Disney start serving in the rest of Disneyland.

Consumer

Hate to break it to you, but a couple things....

1. Those "losers" as you call them are already in the Parks, not having alcohol in Disneyland itself isn't going to keep them out.
I'm well aware they're in the parks. I'd like to discourage them from being there as much as possible.
2. Alcohol has been served on Resort premises for something like 20+ years now, and technically was inside Disneyland in 1957 when you could drink at Holidayland. And continued even after that land closed when you could hop on the Monorail, grab a drink at any one of the hotel bars and hop back on the Monorail and re-enter the Park.

I'm honestly surprised its taken this long for Disney start serving in the rest of Disneyland.
Do you think I'm happy about that?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm well aware they're in the parks. I'd like to discourage them from being there as much as possible.

Do you think I'm happy about that?
The fact that Disneyland had alcohol even in the early days for the public makes any Walt era quote about no alcohol moot. He went against his own stance when it was financially beneficial for him.

So doesn't matter if you're happy about it or not, Disney is following in the tradition of Walt himself.

Californian Elitist

What a great day today. Cheers, losers!🥂

IMG_4643.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom