Monthly Payment AP for WDW, US AP to be announced next week? (now confirmed)

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
This was just posted on MousePlanet:

Sources at Walt Disney World tell MousePlanet that the monthly payment plan first offered to Disneyland Annual Passholders in late 2008 will be extended to Walt Disney World Passholders later this year. The official announcement is expected sometime next week, when Disney is also expected to debut a new Annual Passport that will be valid at both the Florida and California Resorts.

Few details are available about the Walt Disney World monthly payment option, which is not expected to launch until sometime this summer. The Disneyland version, currently restricted to Southern California residents only, requires customers to make a deposit equal to the cost of a one-day, one-park ticket. The remaining monthly payments are then automatically charged to a credit card placed on file at the time the passport is purchased. The Walt Disney World version is expected to be open to all Florida residents, and will require a deposit and credit card payments similar to the Disneyland pass. Non-residents are not expected to be eligible for this option.

The resort is reportedly launching this plan as another attempt to grow their Annual Passholder base. Disneyland saw sales of Annual Passes skyrocket after launching the monthly payment plan, and Walt Disney World is hoping that the financing option will help boost sales of their pricier passes. If the two plans are similar, a Florida resident would be able to "upgrade" their $79 one-day, one-park ticket (expected to go to $83 this August if current patterns hold) to a seasonal annual passport with payments of about $15 per month. After deposit, payments for the Florida resident Premium AP would be just under $40 per month - still a big chunk, but much easier on the budget than shelling out $489 (current price) at one time. Note that all prices listed do not include tax.

We haven't yet heard if the monthly-payment option will be offered for the combined Walt Disney World / Disneyland Resort annual passport. While it would seem to make sense, the logistics involved with launching the new pass may leave that option for later implementation.

Let us know in the comments below what you think of this option!

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=641

Exprcoofto

Too bad the rumor says it would only be for FL residents. I wish this was for everyone. I'm sure they'd see an even larger increase in APs.

hpyhnt 1000

There is no logical reason for NOT implementing a monthly payment plan. The sooner this is done the better because its about time. :)

nemofinder22

Too bad the rumor says it would only be for FL residents. I wish this was for everyone. I'm sure they'd see an even larger increase in APs.

In CA the monthly payments are only for So Cal residents only, so at least its rumored for all of FL, not half:)

Otherwise a good move IMO

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Mouse Planet has been on quite the roll today. First the EO news for EP, and now this. Would definitely make renewing my APs a lot easier.

jt04

Guaranteed this would payoff for WDW beyond their greatest expectations. But there going to need more attractions, shows, eateries, employees etc. Win-win-win-win.

Figment1986

In CA the monthly payments are only for So Cal residents only, so at least its rumored for all of FL, not half:)

Otherwise a good move IMO

in FLA WDW is central... in CA DL is Southern... it's like a day trip for many northern CA people to get down to DL... yet people in FLA can get there in half a day pending which interstate or turnpike they use :lookaroun

that and population wise, CA is bigger than FLA :shrug:

kcnole

That would be fantastic. Especially if all those Floridians who just shelled out 100 bucks for the 4 day pass could use that as an upgrade towards the AP on the monthly plan. I don't know if that's an option or not, but it would help a lot.

nibblesandbits

Really would like to see this be offered to anyone who wants to buy an AP. So many AP holders don't live in Florida and I think it would be a benefit not just for those out of staters, but for Disney as well. I can just see the $$$$ rolling in then.

MKCP 1985

So for all we WDW folk read about Disneyland AP holders being whiny and entitled locals - - > at least someone with the ability to make a decision thinks more WDW Florida resident APs would benefit the bottom line. :lol:

Congrats, Florida residents! :king:

CDavid

I wish they would offer this for people living outside of Florida.

So do I, and actually, it would even make sense. Disneyland mostly just needs to get warm bodies in the gate, but WDW needs people to come stay in the resorts too. An annual pass payment plan could help entice visitors from more distant locations to make more trips to central Florida (most Florida residents won't need a room for the night; Those guests that do will probably stay longer and spend more money.)

If you are going to limit the pass geographically, I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere, but there are plenty of people in southern Georgia closer to WDW than many points in Florida.

WDW1974

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. People pay for other items monthly, I suppose.

But another part of me (we'll call it the fiscally conservative part) says if you can't afford it all at once then you probably can't really afford it at all. Still, Disney is just doing what their competitors are.

But now, after Miceage, it's nice to see Mouseplanet talk about the USA AP ... too bad none of them ever credit the Spirit who first mentioned the pass. Good thing he's not a publicity !

need2go2wdw

I would love love love to see this and since I am a new FL resident, I will luckily be able to take advantage. That said, I am wondering if they are restricting it to FL residents because they are afraid they will see package sales decrease since most people who come from out of state stay for a length of time where a lot of FL residents come for a day or weekend more often, not purchasing package deals anyway. I could see their logic thinking if an out-of-stater has an annual pass, they won't buy a package deal, meaning no dining plan attached and so on possibly making them lose money that would have been made if they needed park tickets attached to their vacation...I don't know, just a thought :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom