Monsters Inc Laugh Floor Concept Art

Magicot

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this attraction fits just fine in the current incarnation of tomorrowland. I'll go over it again. First you have to realize that we don't have the pre-1994 version of tomorrowland anymore, the version that was about a more accurate portrayal of fictional tomorrow. What the 94 refurb brought is is better portrayed as science fiction land. Here's how the attraction fits.

Tomorrowland of today is themed as a complete city of the future as seen through the sci fi filter of yesterday. The TTA is the mass transport system of this city. Space Mountain can be seen as the airport of the future utilizing space instead of the skies. SGE is the prison/military holding cell where prisoners from all across the galaxy are transported to and from military/prison holding areas. You've got a large monument in the center to the federation of planets, and every city needs its entertainment district and that's where the monsters inc characters have setup shop.

The monsters have always been a part of earth but lying on a different plane of existence where they use doors to interact within the human plane of existence capturing children's screams to power their city. After discovering that laughter does a better job, they decide what better way to capture energy than to create a comedy club and place it inside the human plane of existence. In the sci fi future this wouldn't be such a shock to mankind to discover, I mean we've already got aliens being transported around and alien barbershops so what extra fear do monsters elicit.

In this version of tomorrowland, the only things really out of place are the racetrack and CoP although if you want to stretch it, CoP could be seen as an interactive museum of history.
I dunno, as an optimist, I think I'm gunna have to agree with kcnole. I don't really feel that it's necessary to get all aggrivated about an attraction that hasn't opened, and that I have no control over it being built. As long as TLFCC has some tie into Tomorrowland, I'll be happy. I think that even though the Indy Speedway brings in the crowds, it still really needs some improvements. Can you imagine it being transformed into a flying car attraction where the ride vehicles were suspended above ground? That would truly be incredible!

artvandelay

Ok the par cans are to light the stage floor and for ambieance not for actual people. Maybe a source four 50 degree to light a cm doing a intro for the show but thats about it. Those par cans are most likely to light set pieces. Plus you wouldnt use a par can to light a person the beam is not that good for spotting. In this case you would use a S4 with either a 26, 36, or 50 degree barrel depending on the height of the instrument.

Par Cans might be used to light the audience. You're correct about not lighting a single person with a Par, but Pars are good for lighting large amounts of people in the audience. Also, Pars are good backlights.

I hope they're using S4 Pars and not old style Par 64's. S4 Pars use a lower watt bulb and save energy.

dxwwf3

The pic actually doesn't look to bad to me. I'm still not excited about this attraction AT ALL, but that's only because Turtle Talk doesn't do anything for me. At least it will be better than a meet and greet.

wdwishes2005

I think it looks like a great concept and attraction, but in ENTIRELY the wrong location. Both the connection (i.e. lack thereof that is becoming more and more aparent) to TL and the proximity to SGE say that to me. I think this would have been a spectacular replacement for Sounds Dangerous.
I agree... TL isn't the place for it....

lnsemsf

Will we be allowed to bring outside drink in, or do we have to buy 2 drinks per person per show once we get inside?

SpaceMountainUK

I just recieved a 2007 brochure for Florida in the post and there are details of the up and coming attractions for WDW...For Monster Inc the description is as follows

'At the ever popular Magic Kingdom park, watch out for a novel encounter with those funny characters from the film 'Monsters Inc' as one-eyed comedian Mike Wazowski introduces you to the interactive fun of The Laugh Floor Comedy Club. Unlike anything Disney has done before, this promises to be a unique and zany show in a 400-seat theatre in the Tomorrowland area, giving the audience a chance to match wits with Mike and friends'

This doesnt sound like another Turtle Talk style show so who knows what the imagineers have come up with? My thoughts are prehaps each seat will have some sort of way to interact with what is happening on screen?? Who knows! But I cant wait to find out!

kcnole

I have a feeling there's more to this attraction that hasn't been revealed. I'm fully expecting some sort of AA to be involved somehow, to have the villain from the film try to ruin things and for this to become more than just a comedy show. You know the formula for these things. Start out as something normal, then something goes wrong and all heck breaks loose for a while until things are brought back with a humorous finish.

CaptainMichael

This situation can hardly be compared to Stitches Great Escape.

SGE:
Replaced a still running attraction. Instead of plussing what was there, Disney dumbed down AE with a terrible story and lackluster animation.

TLF:
Revitalizes an all but abandoned building used occasionally for Meet and Greets and photos for special events. Disney completely overhauls the failed circlevision concept, uses new technology, and uses a popular franchise...and people complain about a piece of concept art and thin details about a BRAND NEW attraction. Then, they complain about it fitting in a land where children can ride go-carts (Speedway), guests can take a trip through the past (CoP), and watch a pep-rally in the present (HSM)...I don't get it!

wannab@dis

First of all that picture looks retarded and I have some doubts that it is actual concept art for the attraction. Its not even about the picture though, its about everything that has been revealed about the attraction from disney so far. All the descriptions and promo art evoke memories of when Stitch's great escape was about to open.
The only similarities with SGE is the possible signage and that makes perfect sense. Many cities have ordinances that require signage to be similar and many times exactly the same for all establishments along the main city streets. By having the signage for The Laughing Floor similar to SGE, they are actually working the theme of "City of Tomorrow." So many people criticize overall theming as being lost, be then fail to actually see it when it's put in front of them. ;)

I go to WDW to enjoy the few good things it has left
Well... I pity you then.

and to check out the new stuff (Everest and Soarin are good additions at least). Its more for nostalgia reasons for anything else now. I remember when I used to go to WDW in the early 90s..when Epcot still had a unified theme and there was more original content in the parks as opposed to the overwhelming amount of tie-in's to pixar films. I have fealing things are changing at Disney but its going to take some time for John Lasseter & co. to restore the company to its former glory.
That unified theme almost KILLED Epcot and they are now finally getting things back to where guests are more satisfied with the park. Let's hope it continues! Personally, I can do without the "former glory" if it means a better success for the park and it will be around for me to take my grandkids. :wave:

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
The only similarities with SGE is the possible signage and that makes perfect sense. Many cities have ordinances that require signage to be similar and many times exactly the same for all establishments along the main city streets. By having the signage for The Laughing Floor similar to SGE, they are actually working the theme of "City of Tomorrow." So many people criticize overall theming as being lost, be then fail to actually see it when it's put in front of them. ;)

Hrrm...we shall see

wannab@dis said:
That unified theme almost KILLED Epcot

Totally false. Stagnation almost killed epcot. You have to change and freshen things up...however you also must do it in the proper manner. Retooling the imagination pavillion into an inferior product or sticking tie-ins like ellen degeneris therefore tearing apart the theme of epcot are not the answer.

The retooling of The Land pavillion is an example of a change for the better. The rumored freshening up of Spaceship Earth and restoration and retooling of Imagination are also steps in the right direction if approved.

wannab@dis

Hrrm...we shall see

Yes, we will. And I'll be enjoying it!

Totally false. Stagnation almost killed epcot. You have to change and freshen things up...however you also must do it in the proper manner. Retooling the imagination pavillion into an inferior product or sticking tie-ins like ellen degeneris therefore tearing apart the theme of epcot are not the answer.

The retooling of The Land pavillion is an example of a change for the better. The rumored freshening up of Spaceship Earth and restoration and retooling of Imagination are also steps in the right direction if approved.
But anything other than the originals are decreed failure by a select few. Without the introduction of Ellen, UoE would be yet another dead attraction. You (and others) say you want "change and freshen things up" but then you do nothing but complain when it happens.

A unified theme means nothing in an empty park. ;)

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
Yes, we will. And I'll be enjoying it!

How do you know that you will enjoy it??? Im critized for saying that I think the attraction will suck and yet here you are saying with certainty that you will enjoy it? I smell a hipocrite

But anything other than the originals are decreed failure by a select few.

Not really. Most people like myself enjoy Soarin over food rocks...which is not the original. I personally do NOT call anything other than the original a failure. I deal with these things on a case to case basis.

Without the introduction of Ellen, UoE would be yet another dead attraction.

So your telling me there was no way to improve UOE or replace it with a superior attraction without involving the random inclusion of Ellen??? I find this hard to belive. If they didnt have any other ideas for UOE than ellen maybe it was time for it to become a dead attraction and move on to other things.

You (and others) say you want "change and freshen things up" but then you do nothing but complain when it happens

Like I said, its a case to case basis. Me and others say we would like the Haunted Mansion get updated. But if that means shortning the ride, replacing scenes with Eddie Murphy and making the ride a spoof of itself thats a bad change and we will complain long and hard about it.

nibblesandbits

I've seen people state that same idea again and again, and I think its just WAY too much of a stretch. It just-I don't konw, it just doesn't work for me. And might I remind people that Monsters Inc takes place in the PRESENT judgeing by Boo's room style. Definately not in the future.

I think you're thinking too hard about this. From the descriptions that everyone is talking about, I think it will fit in fine with Tomorrowland. Remember, it is the future that never was...well...I think monsters can be the future that never was. And while I don't think it fits 100% and true, it could have possibly been a great attraction for the Studios, I think that with all that's been explained to us...and remember, no one has been on the attraction yet, so we don't have much to go on, that the attraction will more or less be a fit for Tomorrowland.

I go to WDW to enjoy the few good things it has left and to check out the new stuff (Everest and Soarin are good additions at least). Its more for nostalgia reasons for anything else now. I remember when I used to go to WDW in the early 90s..when Epcot still had a unified theme and there was more original content in the parks as opposed to the overwhelming amount of tie-in's to pixar films. I have fealing things are changing at Disney but its going to take some time for John Lasseter & co. to restore the company to its former glory.

Plain and simple, Walt Disney World was not created for you. It was created for the masses. And while it is great to still be able to experience the nostalgic rides that we remember from our childhood...we have to be open to some change. We have to know that not everything from our childhood can translate to this generations kids. They need things that are more interactive. They are the generation who says...what's in this for me? So...Walt Disney World is going to have to grow with that knowledge.

And I see your point with being disappointed in the character tie ins...but guess what? Walt did them too. So it's not just something that this generation of the company is doing...instead it is something that the company has been doing since they built the theme parks.

And truthfully, the reason that Disney keeps using Pixar characters is two-fold...1. the youth of today can relate to them...the youth of today knows who these characters are. 2. The last REALLY GOOD movie Disney released without the help of Pixar was The Lion King. Now...let me think back...oh right...The Lion King was released in 1994...so that would mean Disney hasn't had a hit cartoon movie by themselves in over 10 years. However, Pixar has had hit after hit, after hit over the last 10 years. So let's think...make an attraction about Mulan...or make an attraction about Monster's Inc...it's a no brainer...you make a Monster's Inc attraction.

But I wanted to do my own little research...Let's see here...if I look at the Disney website under the what's new section...and I count up all the new attractions that have been put in the theme parks over the past few years...there are 7 attractions listed that have been added in the last I'd say 6 years or so that are not based on characters. Now let's count up the character attractions...it looks like there are 8 attractions based on characters in the past 6 years. That seems to me like a pretty even trade. If we add Monster's Inc...that will take it up to 9 and if we add the new Nemo attraction at AK...that would make it 10. But still...it's not like it's a hugely obnoxious amount of character rides being built when you compare it to non-character rides.

Would I like more attractions based on original concepts? Sure. But I know that having attractions featuring characters are also important...because having these attractions around is therefore going to help the sales of merchandise...which therefore helps the Disney corporation. And let's all remember that famous quote: Walt Disney World is in this game to make money. That is what a corporation does to keep afloat.

kcnole

that's the best piece of advice I've seen on this board. Too many people get hypersensitive about issues, make unfounded decisions about an attraction, and broadcast them as fact long before there's anything to really go on. Yes, this attraction might bomb like Stitch, but it also might be a wonderful addition, then there's the chance it'll just be a solid addition but nothing major. We don't know yet and to throw out that it's going to be wonderful or it's the next incarnation of Stitch are far too pre-mature.

wannab@dis

How do you know that you will enjoy it??? Im critized for saying that I think the attraction will suck and yet here you are saying with certainty that you will enjoy it? I smell a hipocrite
It's called optimism. You should give it a try -- you'll be happier. :wave:

Not really. Most people like myself enjoy Soarin over food rocks...which is not the original. I personally do NOT call anything other than the original a failure. I deal with these things on a case to case basis.
I have to keep reminding myself that you are new... while most of the your posts is just like some of the posters that's been around. Soarin was hated by many of the purists when it was being built. They were very upset that Food Rocks was being replaced and considered it the end of Epcot. They decreed the update of The Land a failure and a loss of theme. Now look... one of, if not the most popular pavilion. All this whining about The Laughing Floor sounds very similar.

So your telling me there was no way to improve UOE or replace it with a superior attraction without involving the random inclusion of Ellen??? I find this hard to belive. If they didnt have any other ideas for UOE than ellen maybe it was time for it to become a dead attraction and move on to other things.
There may have been other ideas, but Ellen was chosen. It made a huge difference in the pavilion and it's still fairly popular. What really bothers me about the purists' outlook is it seems they would rather have failure than a departure from what THEY want. Self-centered, maybe?

Like I said, its a case to case basis. Me and others say we would like the Haunted Mansion get updated. But if that means shortning the ride, replacing scenes with Eddie Murphy and making the ride a spoof of itself thats a bad change and we will complain long and hard about it.

You're really stretching things with this example. :rolleyes: Many said the same for PotC... now look. Very good reviews. While you may think it's a bad change up front, you really never know until things are done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom