Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Next Big Thing

The thing that intrigues me the most is do they make - I presume 'Rat clone' is Calamity Kitchen - is do they use LPS or just an omnimover...

...but overall it feels like they don't know whether they want to make the back part of the Studios - Fantasyland MK II with Pixar characters ... damn it I want them to expand the park ... from the tiny parcel of the land they straddled themselves with trying to get the park open before USO.
Considering Sea World is opening a trackless ride in the spring, I wouldn't be surprised that WDI would want to. The question is if TDO will allow it...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The thing that intrigues me the most is do they make - I presume 'Rat clone' is Calamity Kitchen - is do they use LPS or just an omnimover...

...but overall it feels like they don't know whether they want to make the back part of the Studios - Fantasyland MK II with Pixar characters ... damn it I want them to expand the park ... from the tiny parcel of the land they straddled themselves with trying to get the park open before USO.

I've long felt this is the logical thing to do since it is a very hard park to visit if your family includes teeny ones that aren't big enough for thrill rides and don't have the attention spans for shows or the GMR/Backlot tour. This is graphically shown by the TSMM rush every day.

doctornick

I've long felt this is the logical thing to do since it is a very hard park to visit if your family includes teeny ones that aren't big enough for thrill rides and don't have the attention spans for shows or the GMR/Backlot tour. This is graphically shown by the TSMM rush every day.

Well, the animation courtyard stuff works well for young kids, but point most certainly taken. In fact, while I like the sounds of this plan, I am a bit concerned that 2 of the 3 rides (RSR and the door coaster) will almost certainly have a ride restriction and be unavailable for younger children -- I'd like to see an all ages option added as well (something like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree or maybe Flik's Fliers)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well, the animation courtyard stuff works well for young kids, but point most certainly taken. In fact, while I like the sounds of this plan, I am a bit concerned that 2 of the 3 rides (RSR and the door coaster) will almost certainly have a ride restriction and be unavailable for younger children -- I'd like to see an all ages option added as well (something like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree or maybe Flik's Fliers)

Agreed. I've also fantasized (really I'm that pathetic of a Disney nerd) about Remy's French restaurant (whatever it's called) snaking in and out of the attractions with little windows so that you can see into various rides (old school Disney) whilst dining. Also, some kids from USC won a ride design contest with an UP themed ride. I wonder if it would be possible to build and add to Pixar Place.

aladdin2007

RSR
MI coaster
Rat clone
Flo's. diner
Merry Christmas, this is the latest as of 3pm today posted as soon as I could due to travel

It just feels unlikely tho that TDO would go for all 3 attractions, RSR, Coaster, and a dark ride. If they are so keen on value engineering this and wittling it down to nothing, then something is bound to be cut. Unless Lasseter breaks through TDO's firm no can do jungle? And I hope he does..Is Burbank putting some new pressure on TDO?

MerlinTheGoat

It just feels unlikely tho that TDO would go for all 3 attractions, RSR, Coaster, and a dark ride. If they are so keen on value engineering this and wittling it down to nothing, then something is bound to be cut. Unless Lasseter breaks through TDO's firm no can do jungle? And I hope he does..Is Burbank putting some new pressure on TDO?
Lee has stated that the Orlando team will be changing within the next few months. He also mentioned that this new leadership may mean far better days at WDW in regards to maintenance and investment.

It's impossible to ignore how well Carsland has done in the west. Perhaps this success (and WDW's drop in attendance in stark comparison) will provide inspiration to do better things at WDW.

Though it's also entirely possible to value engineer all of those projects and make them shells of what was or could have been. We shall see what happens.

disney fan 13

Lee has stated that the Orlando team will be changing within the next few months. He also mentioned that this new leadership may mean far better days at WDW in regards to maintenance and investment.

It's impossible to ignore how well Carsland has done in the west. Perhaps this success (and WDW's drop in attendance in stark comparison) will provide inspiration to do better things at WDW.

Though it's also entirely possible to value engineer all of those projects and make them shells of what was or could have been. We shall see what happens.

Sadly, even when new management comes in, construction on any of this wouldn't start until late 2013, so if they are going for a three year construction cycle, we may not see these expansions until late 2016/2017.Which stinks because nothing besides the mine train is under construction now, so nothing exempt new entertainment will fill the gap. (Though i'm excited for the long awaited turnaround of WDW!)

doctornick

If it's just RSR coming in, then I think it can be argued that they "value engineered" from a full Cars Land to just that.

That's my concern. I hope the attractions are as plussed as could be. I'd much rather see a full RSR with rockwork and all than have a full Cars Land, but a lesser RSR.

If they are trimming down on Cars Land to just RSR and Flo's, I hope they still allot some space for Cars M&G. Having Lightening and Mater be animated and interact with guests is a big improvement over the current photo op at DHS with Cars.

Where would the ratatouille ride go in dhs?

If they are only doing RSR/Flo's instead of a full Cars Land, then there should be plenty of room for another ride. Plus, they could always expand the footprint of the park and bring some backstage areas into guest used ones if necessary for more room.

doctornick

I need to add Rat anywhere in the US is just rumour.

Seems like a cool ride though, so I do hope it's on the table for somewhere in WDW. I don't know how well it would fit into France in Epcot, but if that's the only option for a new ride in that park, I'm game. I do think it would fit in well in Pixar Place in DHS and there is certainly a need for more family rides there.

PhotoDave219

I need to add Rat anywhere in the US is just rumour.

Know what disturbs me? This company's unwillingness to spend a buck. I've heard of so many things that were "greenlit" only to have the plug pulled at the last minute.

That rumored "Night Kingdom"? Paperwork was signed, money allotted, everything was greenlit. Hell, they even started Flamingo Crossing. Stuff doesn't happen because as long as the number of guests stays solid or grows, theres no reason to change things, not from the corporate culture that permiates Disney these days.

menamechris

Know what disturbs me? This company's unwillingness to spend a buck. I've heard of so many things that were "greenlit" only to have the plug pulled at the last minute.

That rumored "Night Kingdom"? Paperwork was signed, money allotted, everything was greenlit. Hell, they even started Flamingo Crossing. Stuff doesn't happen because as long as the number of guests stays solid or grows, theres no reason to change things, not from the corporate culture that permiates Disney these days.

This. As exciting as a Pixar expansion sounds, and how much I would love to see all of these additions, I strongly doubt we will see it. Even now, the motivation does not seem to be there. We have heard the Carsland rumors for probably over 6 months now....Monsters, Inc. for years...they simply do not want to spend the money. I have said it once, and I will say it again, I truly think these rumors are being fed from the top to try to keep fan interest - not because they will actually ever be built.

SirLink

Most kids should have attention spans that last longer than 20 minutes, though that is a bad thing...

But it seems so disconnected the plan - and I hope to god we get more than this in the makeover plan...otherwise it seems a little lackluster.

Turtle

RSR
MI coaster
Rat clone
Flo's. diner
Merry Christmas, this is the latest as of 3pm today posted as soon as I could due to travel
i can spend a day in there.

I hope they could add some cool monsters university campus with a quick-service cafe (gross beef sandwiches, chili cheese flies, hot sludge sundaes) a book-store, and a golf-cart tour of the university and you're stuck in the midst of a prank war (part of the new film) using Roger Rabbit ride spinner technology), but i think i'm pushing it too far lol.

aladdin2007

This. As exciting as a Pixar expansion sounds, and how much I would love to see all of these additions, I strongly doubt we will see it. Even now, the motivation does not seem to be there. We have heard the Carsland rumors for probably over 6 months now....Monsters, Inc. for years...they simply do not want to spend the money. I have said it once, and I will say it again, I truly think these rumors are being fed from the top to try to keep fan interest - not because they will actually ever be built.

I agree, though I do think we will get RSR over anything else, eventually, after six years of construction of course. :confused:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm very cynical about this happening as well, but M. rudolf's post sounds like he was in a meeting where this was discussed. I have no reason to disbelieve him. What led to the go-ahead being given for FLE or EE for that matter? It would be great if that kind of thing was replicated more often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom