Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

tirian

Yes count on it! Gringott's will be an amazing ride. The ride system itself will break new ground and the show elements will be a wonder to behold. There will be plenty of envirnmental effects, 3-D sets and next generation projection effects. It will be better than FJ in my opnion. I haven't even gotten into the Express train attraction either.

Off topic: I was blown away by the quality of Forbidden Journey. It's the only atmosphere at Universal worth the price of admission; I would've paid $50 just to get into WWoHP. I can't wait to see what you guys pull off with the expansion! Bravo!

invader

Shorter track length than Mummy.
Well, dang. I can't get my head around this. People claiming it's going to have lots of show scenes, but it's going to be shorter than Mummy?! That has to be a pretty intense ride. I wonder if you'll zoom through it or if you'll go BTMRR speed.

Lee

Adventurer
Well, dang. I can't get my head around this. People claiming it's going to have lots of show scenes, but it's going to be shorter than Mummy?! That has to be a pretty intense ride. I wonder if you'll zoom through it or if you'll go BTMRR speed.
Probably slower thn BTMRR.
FWIW, I posted a rough track layout over in the Uni forum, SS44 thread.

Tim_4

Hopefully you're right and WDW does finally respond at some point. It is great for the guest to have something like this, but Disney really does need to get moving. Not only are more and more of their fan base beginning to realize the the way things are currently run, but they are being made to look like fools right now.The opportunity is there, they need to take it and head out to the battlefield.
You realize that Disney is basically printing money right now right?

bubbles1812

Not as much as they could be...
Precisely! The more they allow Uni to encroach, the more money they lose. They could have even a record year next year in terms of profits but it still could be more if they didn't allow their competition to creep up. I've said it before and I'll say it again...for every person choosing to spend a day away from Disney when they used to spend all their time at Disney...that's money lost. If you choose to spend a day at Universal over Disney, that's one admission ticket that you didn't buy from Disney. You eat a meal at Universal, that's one meal you didn't buy at Disney. Even if you buy only one soda...that's one soda you didn't buy at Disney. Times that times few million and the dollars start adding up... And as evidenced by % growth attendance at Universal, as well as the increasing market share they've captured, well those sodas really might be starting to add up! Let's just hope Disney decides they would like to recapture that money though thus far, it doesn't look exactly promising.

lazyboy97o

It is not even just the basics of a day that are going to Universal instead of Disney (and even the difference between adding a day to your Magic My Way tickets versus a day at Universal can be significant) but far too many people for Disney's liking end up spending more on extras (merchandise, more food) at Universal than at Disney. Money people "tell" Disney Research they do not have to spend because times are tight. Many are still being frugal at Disney while spending like there is no tomorrow at Universal.

menamechris

I don't see Disney being too worried until their attendance starts falling. When will that be? Will it happen? I don't know. But I would think a value resort on Universal property will have thousands of families vacationing differently in the next few years. Now more than ever, there are days worth of activities and experiences outside Disney's gates. Once people do a couple years of splitting their vacations between the Disney resort and Universal resort, they will never go back to strictly Disney. And Disney counts on this type of family tourist.

Quite frankly, Disney needs to get out of the price game business where they try to trick and entice guests with scams and deals. If they would get back to creating innovative and exciting attractions and experiences, people will come and they will stay. No discounts needed. But Disney now spends all of that creative energy to manipulating the numbers on the spreadsheets and practically falsifying their own research data.

And with Universal now working overtime to become a more family friendly and detail oriented resort, a very strong brand is being created for a new generation of children and families. Why the powers that be at Disney don't understand this is beyond me...

lazyboy97o

Quite frankly, Disney needs to get out of the price game business where they try to trick and entice guests with scams and deals. If they would get back to creating innovative and exciting attractions and experiences, people will come and they will stay. No discounts needed. But Disney now spends all of that creative energy to manipulating the numbers on the spreadsheets and practically falsifying their own research data.
Will they? Just take a peek in the Planning forum and there are a lot of people who plan around and swear by the various discounts that are routinely offered.

menamechris

Will they? Just take a peek in the Planning forum and there are a lot of people who plan around and swear by the various discounts that are routinely offered.

No argument there. Unfortunately, it has devalued the entire product as a whole. With these discount parlor tricks they pull on guests, management is systematically making Disney the "discount resort". I don't think Universal has done that yet - and they may not need to with the way they are upping their game.

lazyboy97o

No argument there. Unfortunately, it has devalued the entire product as a whole. With these discount parlor tricks they pull on guests, management is systematically making Disney the "discount resort". I don't think Universal has done that yet - and they may not need to with the way they are upping their game.
I do not follow Universal quite as closely as I do Disney, but I do know they offer various Annual Passholder and Florida Resident discounts on hotel stays throughout the year. I really should take advantage one of these days.

Next Big Thing

You realize that Disney is basically printing money right now right?
I don't care if they are printing money. If they are printing money, then why can't they spare some of it to build an extra attraction every now and then? They could be doing so much more and offering amazing experiences not only like Universal currently is, but like Disney used to themselves. If you're fine with Disney sitting back and just building DVC's and Restaurants, then that's you. WDW has enough of all of that right now. They need new attractions to give people reason to keep coming back to those DVC's and restaurants. IMO, they aren't doing nearly enough right now.

fredrickr

TDO doesn't like spending money... or take much by way of risks. *shrug* :(
It's not that TDO doesn't want to spend the money, you have to remember that Disney is a publicly traded company and therefore is beholden to their stockholders. As fans of WDW we often forget that Disney's first responsibility is to keep the stockholder happy, the consumer is secondary. And its not the individual investor that Disney or any publicly traded corporation must keep happy, its the institutional investors that are really calling the shots. Those investors want the greatest ROI that they can get so that Granny can get a good rate of return on her mutual fund. Monies spent on park expansion may pay off in the long term, But institutional investors (and many most large individual investors) are only interested in this quarter and the next, not 3 or more cycles later. Investment in long term projects (like Carsland) simply divert money from dividends.

menamechris

It's not that TDO doesn't want to spend the money, you have to remember that Disney is a publicly traded company and therefore is beholden to their stockholders. As fans of WDW we often forget that Disney's first responsibility is to keep the stockholder happy, the consumer is secondary. And its not the individual investor that Disney or any publicly traded corporation must keep happy, its the institutional investors that are really calling the shots. Those investors want the greatest ROI that they can get so that Granny can get a good rate of return on her mutual fund. Monies spent on park expansion may pay off in the long term, But institutional investors (and many most large individual investors) are only interested in this quarter and the next, not 3 or more cycles later. Investment in long term projects (like Carsland) simply divert money from dividends.

And what about those multi-million dollar bonuses the executives give each other? No one is buying into more of the Disney brand because the executives make more in bonuses each year than I will see in a lifetime. No one seems to mind the obscene amount of cash that is funneled to Imagineers to they can have fun in the R&D stage of hundreds of projects that will never happen. Or the incredible amount of money that the studio has lost over the years from sickeningly obvious dud films. Are investors really that concerned with ALL of those hundreds of millions of dollars (at least) lost? And then can't toss a few million to get some quality attractions/experiences in DHS?

lazyboy97o

Comcast is a publicly traded company as well. So is the Blackstone Group, owners of Merlin Entertainment and SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. Disneyland Resort is owned by the same publicly traded company as Walt Disney World.

bubbles1812

I was going to reply to this but I see menamechris and lazyboy have already done it for me... :)

I will say, I fully understand that they are like that. But that doesn't mean it's a good policy. Why do you think this country is such a mess? No one looks long term until it's too late. It's pathetic. And Wall Street is a fraud. I do understand what you are saying. I really do. But at a certain point, you have to invest if you want to keep your company going.

Universal seems to be doing quite fine being owned by the publicly traded Comcast... funny how they don't seem to mind spending money at their parks even while having to answer to their institutional investors. And it paid off pretty dramatically fast for Comcast/Universal (I believe HP world made back it's cost in what, 8 weeks or so? That's not even a quarter)...so maybe that's something Disney should try to emulate rather than continuing to sit on their fat lard butts...just sayin'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom