Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Brian Noble

that park it HORRIBLE with story. The rides ARE fun, but story?
Not the individual attractions, but the overall execution of the park. They use the quarry wall to excellent effect in a variety of ways. Several sections have pretty decently-executed environments. Is it at the Disney level? Of course not. That wasn't the claim. The claim was that the park is closer to a mid-point between theme-heavy and thrill-heavy than most. Don't read anything more into it than that.

BigThunderMatt

Look at Soarin' (Over California): crazy waits in Epcot, much more manageable waits in DCA. Both have Fastpass.

I don't think Soarin' is the best example. Epcot contains a small amount of attractions that could be considered to be on the same 'scale' as Soarin'. Whereas at DCA, there are many other rides that fit that bill so the crowds are dispersed better.

When you have fewer attractions to eat up guest flow, all other things being equal, Epcot's is always going to be busier simply because it has less competition for guest attention.

Cosmic Commando

The same ride can be more or less popular on the opposite coast. Different guest tastes, location, and competition from other attractions affect wait times. I'm sure there are some other variables, too. Whether a ride has Fastpass or not is only a part. Look at Soarin' (Over California): crazy waits in Epcot, much more manageable waits in DCA. Both have Fastpass.

I don't think Soarin' is the best example. Epcot contains a small amount of attractions that could be considered to be on the same 'scale' as Soarin'. Whereas at DCA, there are many other rides that fit that bill so the crowds are dispersed better.

When you have fewer attractions to eat up guest flow, all other things being equal, Epcot's is always going to be busier simply because it has less competition for guest attention.

My post was really a rebuttal to people who think we should remove Fastpass from TSMM and the waits would be like they are at DCA. My point was that it's not that simple, for reasons like you mention about Soarin'.

RSoxNo1

The same ride can be more or less popular on the opposite coast. Different guest tastes, location, and competition from other attractions affect wait times. I'm sure there are some other variables, too. Whether a ride has Fastpass or not is only a part. Look at Soarin' (Over California): crazy waits in Epcot, much more manageable waits in DCA. Both have Fastpass.

While it has a height requirement, Soarin' is a low capacity high demand family friendly attraction. We took my 4 year old nephew on the ride without incident and it has mass appeal. It's similar to TSMM (except with a height requirement) in that respect.

If you look at the needs of the parks, the only park that really needs a thrill ride is the Magic Kingdom - all of the other parks need family friendly attractions.

flavious27

Disney has said a "few surprises"will be announced at D23. Will Disney finally answer the rumors of the Pixar place Expansion?? HWS needs this!! Pixar Place is the smallest "land" in any WDW park.And since MI 2 is coming out don't you think this could be announced.

Doubtful, permits would have been leaked by now. Also pixar place really isn't a land, it is just toy story mania.

SeaCastle

Doubtful, permits would have been leaked by now. Also pixar place really isn't a land, it is just toy story mania.

I don't believe any permits were leaked until after the FLE was announced.

Whereas if the coaster was greenlit, it would be evident by permis, then a significant shuffling/re-construction of backstage infrastructure.

fosse76

Or what if they got rid of standby and made it a fastpass only attraction? Sure you wouldnt be able to ride it whenever you want, but you can't do that anyway! So why not? Atleast this way the fastpasses would last until the evening. I wonder if TDO has even considered this.

Because THEN the line for Guest Relations would be longer than the current line for TSMM. :)

RSoxNo1

If you were to make TSMM a Fastpass only attraction they would still probably run out by 3-4 PM each day.

The way I see it, there are 3 ways to make the Fastpasses last longer in the day, and they will all be marginal increases at best.

• Increase Capacity for the ride - Logistically I don't know if this is possible but here are some thoughts: Add more load/unload areas, have the transitions between games be slower with actual ride elements to keep them interesting. By slowing the vehicles down between games you can have vehicles in between sections while others are playing games, thus increasing capacity.
  • Refurbish The Great Movie Ride and add Fastpass - If this can be brought back up to E-Ticket level, an increased demand could validate the use of Fastpass. Adding another Family Friendly Fastpass attraction could provide some help to the TSMM Fastpass distribution
  • Add another Family Friendly ride - same explanation as above.

I would also like to see them move the TSMM Fastpass queue so that it's in between the Restroom and Narnia for that first 30 minutes after park opening. That seems to be a very easy fix. You can set up temporary queues using the temporary stantions used during parades.

NewfieFan

While it has a height requirement, Soarin' is a low capacity high demand family friendly attraction. We took my 4 year old nephew on the ride without incident and it has mass appeal. It's similar to TSMM (except with a height requirement) in that respect.

If you look at the needs of the parks, the only park that really needs a thrill ride is the Magic Kingdom - all of the other parks need family friendly attractions.

This is very true!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you were to make TSMM a Fastpass only attraction they would still probably run out by 3-4 PM each day.

The way I see it, there are 3 ways to make the Fastpasses last longer in the day, and they will all be marginal increases at best.

Other ways include...

-changing the ratio between FP and SB capacity, in effect allowing the distribution of more FPs
-instead of giving out all FPs 'first come, first serve', add 'batches' to the distribution logic. Make it so FP windows become available in blocks throughout the day... so a 8pm FP isn't actually possible to distribute until 4pm that day, etc. This means FPs are 'out' periodically through the day, but not for the entire day. A new batch of FPs would be available at 1pm, 4pm, etc.

RSoxNo1

Other ways include...

-changing the ratio between FP and SB capacity, in effect allowing the distribution of more FPs
-instead of giving out all FPs 'first come, first serve', add 'batches' to the distribution logic. Make it so FP windows become available in blocks throughout the day... so a 8pm FP isn't actually possible to distribute until 4pm that day, etc. This means FPs are 'out' periodically through the day, but not for the entire day. A new batch of FPs would be available at 1pm, 4pm, etc.

These would also work, but I was trying to come up with ideas that wouldn't change the fastpass system for one "problem" attraction.

The issue has been exaggerated due to the air gates at load and unload. This has dropped capacity for the attraction, that's really the biggest issue.

NoChesterHester

These would also work, but I was trying to come up with ideas that wouldn't change the fastpass system for one "problem" attraction.

The issue has been exaggerated due to the air gates at load and unload. This has dropped capacity for the attraction, that's really the biggest issue.

Add more attractions at the Studios... the only realistic way to lessen the problem. Oh wait... did I say "realistic." Darn. I won't hold my breath on adding another attraction.

They need something else at DHS - A Monster's Inc coaster would be genius if they did it right! They have the space - and the demand - plus it would help with the wait times for Toy Story Mania!

There's been talk of a Monsters Inc coaster happening for a long time now! Announce it's happening and build it already! lol!

Fractal514

Wanna fix the Toy Story fast pass problem? Don't add more, eliminate it all together. The problem right now is that early guests ride the ride AND take fastpasses, then head back and get a second one.

Eliminate fastpass for the ride. Yes it would make it a longer queue for some, but I think it would make it smoother and easier for the vast majority.

Fastpass works best on popular attractions that AREN'T superstars.

menamechris

Wanna fix the Toy Story fast pass problem? Don't add more, eliminate it all together. The problem right now is that early guests ride the ride AND take fastpasses, then head back and get a second one.

Eliminate fastpass for the ride. Yes it would make it a longer queue for some, but I think it would make it smoother and easier for the vast majority.

Fastpass works best on popular attractions that AREN'T superstars.

Very true. and also take into account that it probably wouldnt be quite such a superstar if there were other things for people to do to fill the day. Unless you are really dedicated to do every single attraction and show...HS is just a hard park to fill a day with.. So I can see the temptation for some to want to ride it a couple times.

Hercules11

Other ways include...

I feel like both of these would cause more problems than they would fix. If you change the ratio to add more FP, all you'll be doing is increasing the average FP wait time which would totally invalidate the point of the FP. If you periodically cut off FP distribution throughout the day you would just have huge lines forming all day for the FP to reopen. Both of these options would result in increasing the number of upset/confused guests.

IMO, there are a few things that "might" help. One would be if the attraction would hold firm on both the FP start and end times. Right now guests can come back any time after the start time and get in. This allows everyone to come back at the same time if they wish clogging up the FP line and causing the regular line to come nearly to a stop. If they could enforce that 1 hour window they could redistribute the FP tickets to give out fewer FP during the busy times of day and more during the slower times. It would also help if they could do a better job of preventing people from abusing the guest assistance cards. It seems as if half the guests coming in through the FP line are using them.

Ultimately though, the only thing that is going to fix the problem is to have more FP worthy attractions in the park so that everyone isn't fighting over the same, limited FP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom