Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

djkidkaz

I think for Disney to attempt to stop people from leaving their property, they need to add alot of attractions to the parks, instead of one huge E-Ticket. If they add one E-Ticket, the guests will ride it and be off to Uni to see Potter. I think what they are doing by re-imagining old attractions and adding in a bunch of C and D ticket attractions will force people to spread out there time more and choose to stay on property to see all that is new. THink about how Disney can promote this:

Come see all the new additions to your favorites at the Magic Kingdom! They can also promote the newer C and D tickets at Studios ( Idol, TSMM, Monsters Inc Coaster? ) and Epcot ( Kim Possible ), and then add one E-Ticket to Animal Kingdom ( Journey? ) with a nightime show to make it a full day park and you've started eating in to time from people leaving to go check out other things like Potter. And we still have quite some time, so who knows what else is planned for that time frame.

Underdog

He was at one time.
Key word being "was".

Now, it's all Uni's as far as being used as a ride.
Stuff like the angler fish doesn't count.

Semi-Off topic: Since the Kuka arms are 'off-limits', has WDI given up on the concepts they wanted to use it for? Are there 'alternative' products they can use? Are they 're-imaginging' their vision for the incredibles attraction?

Personally, I'm glad to see Universal step up their game. Competition is good. I do think anything Universal does, WDI can do better.

Lee

Adventurer
Semi-Off topic: Since the Kuka arms are 'off-limits', has WDI given up on the concepts they wanted to use it for? Are there 'alternative' products they can use? Are they 're-imaginging' their vision for the incredibles attraction?
I think that Incredibles concept is gathering dust on the shelf at this point.
If they want to use a similar ride system, they are free to R&D theyselves one. Nothing stopping that, they just can't buy Kuka arms and stick them on a track.

GothMickey

If they want to use a similar ride system, they are free to R&D theyselves one. Nothing stopping that, they just can't buy Kuka arms and stick them on a track.

So, they can develope the same exact technology, just not purchase Kuka's? Wouldn't there be patents and trademarks on them?

Lee

Adventurer
Last I heard Sinbad was staying and while it is a fun show, you would think they would want to go ahead and expand Potter there. Seems odd to me if they don't.
I was just told that it looks like Sinbad will be staying for now, but will morph into a Potter themed show down the road. Not sure what that means...maybe the Potter boundary will be moveable to include it when the time comes?

So, they can develope the same exact technology, just not purchase Kuka's? Wouldn't there be patents and trademarks on them?
Naturally, they couldn't do a direct copy.
But they could create a system that performs similarly, while not infringing on the patents.

Underdog

So, reading what you 'didn't' say - there is another 'incredibles' concept that's being bounced around? ;-)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
That little coaster is the old Flying Unicorn. It will remain and be rethemed as the Flying Hippogriff or.

Yeah, Potter will extend from roughly where Mythos is all the way around to Jurassic Park.
This is roughly it. (I'm not sure how much (or all) of Sinbad is going to be used, so I went ahead and included it.)
pottersite.JPG
This is what i figured.

From this drawing, I see that DD queue will be rethemed as you said earlier. I might just have to go check all this out.

bork

My question is, what kind of staying power will Harry Potter have? The last book will be 3 years old by the time the new land opens and the final movie will come out the year after the new land opens. Will Harry Potter remain relevant after that with no more movies or books?

I can see why Disney wouldn't be worried until there is proof. They tried adding a new park and new attractions, but that didn't really keep people on property or have them extend their stays. It was the financial incentives that finally got people to stay on property. Free transportation from the airport to make it difficult to leave, make it almost free to add extra days to tickets, dining plans, etc.

I know that did it for my family. We had always visited Universal until last year. If we want to go to Universal, we have to get a car, then spend a few hundred on Universal tickets. Instead we save those hundreds of dollars and spend a few bucks for extra days on our Disney tickets.

Universal needs a pretty compelling reason to get people to leave Disney. Harry Potter won't do it for us, but maybe it will for others. We'll see.

GothMickey

My question is, what kind of staying power will Harry Potter have? The last book will be 3 years old by the time the new land opens and the final movie will come out the year after the new land opens. Will Harry Potter remain relevant after that with no more movies or books?

I can see why Disney wouldn't be worried until there is proof. They tried adding a new park and new attractions, but that didn't really keep people on property or have them extend their stays. It was the financial incentives that finally got people to stay on property. Free transportation from the airport to make it difficult to leave, make it almost free to add extra days to tickets, dining plans, etc.

I know that did it for my family. We had always visited Universal until last year. If we want to go to Universal, we have to get a car, then spend a few hundred on Universal tickets. Instead we save those hundreds of dollars and spend a few bucks for extra days on our Disney tickets.

Universal needs a pretty compelling reason to get people to leave Disney. Harry Potter won't do it for us, but maybe it will for others. We'll see.

Harry Potter is a good start. Half the people will visit because they are HP fans. The other half will visit because they love an awesome thrill ride. I am not a huge HP fan, in fact, I never ready any of the books, and I am looking forward to this new land and attraction.

Lee

Adventurer
Other than Monster's Inc, and a new addition to Animal Kingdom, what can you tell us is a possiblilty in the pipeline without violating any NDA?
Nothing really that we haven't mentioned around here.
Mermaid at MK, possible Fantasyland makeover.
New JII at Epcot, whatever that was for Japan.
Star Tours 2 and replacement for Backlot Tour at DHS.

Far as I know, that stuff is what is most close to greenlight, unless I am forgetting something....

GothMickey

Far as I know, that stuff is what is most close to greenlight, unless I am forgetting something....

All good updates, but nothing on the scope of Harry Potter. I haven't read what the Backlot Tour replacement is to be though. I assume Radiator Springs?

Underdog

Not that's anywhere near being considered. Put it out of mind for now.

Will do - thanks!

What 'properties' are being looked at for the 'next' project? Excluding the things we 'know' about like the LM ride for the 'MK' and the future JTTCTE installation (maybe? ), is the decision making process to first choose the type of ride or the brand, theme, property, and how to implement their story?

Thanks for the answers already....
(long time lurker.... ;-))

Oberon81

The new addition to Animal Kingdom? Maybe... possibly... hopefully?

All good updates, but nothing on the scope of Harry Potter. I haven't read what the Backlot Tour replacement is to be though. I assume Radiator Springs?

I heard about Backlot tour saying that it will probably be getting closed down for radiator springs. I know lots of people like cars like myself, but the main attraction is just like the end part of test track.
Besides Backlot tour i believe just got rehab done so what is the point of putting money into something if they will be getting rid of the attraction?

Underdog

Look at Star Wars & the effect that it still has on it's fans (not trying to same HP is or will receive the same adoration that SW has). SW Weekends gives those who might not really consider a visit to DHS or Disney a reason to go. I've been and while I have found ways to enjoy myself, I always thought that having a more 'immersive' area, like what is planned for HP in IOA, even better. Now, imagine if for SW weekends, there was an entire themed 'location' in DHS with multiple rides themed for Star Wars?

IP weekends will give a nice bump to IOA's attendance - they're going to have, from the 'insiders' details, a well-themed area with multiple rides & shopping. Even if the rides don't quite match the level they're going for, they should see increased attendance for a few years minimum. Hopefully, they'll do re-work foot traffic as I wouldn't want to have to cut through there during a convention/festival/event.

I can understand the love for Disney (& angst with HP since they're not under the Disney 'umbrella') but Universal will do well from this. Hopefully, they'll do so well (quality wise), the mouse's response will be in kind.

GothMickey

I heard about Backlot tour saying that it will probably be getting closed down for radiator springs. I know lots of people like cars like myself, but the main attraction is just like the end part of test track.
Besides Backlot tour i believe just got rehab done so what is the point of putting money into something if they will be getting rid of the attraction?

Not just that but, I have heard rumors that Lights! Motors! Action may be rethemed to a Cars show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom