News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sneaky

The fond memories I had of River Country and Discovery Island (before the brain eating amoeba ate away the section of my brain where those memories were stores...)
I miss illumiNations and while it wasn’t the greatest, I had fond memories of electric umbrella, and the sorely missed fountain of nations. Also miss the houses of Mickey and firends. I know it’s a cannon event. I hate the fact that it’s my turn now.

BasiltheBatLord

I think parks fans overestimate the popularity of Muppets today. Disney has tried repeatedly to get the Muppets to be popular again in today's day and age and my sense is that it hasn't really worked (maybe the 2011 movie was one exception as it had a decent box office return).

MV3D is a cult favorite among parks fans, I love it as much as the next person and wold hate to see it pushed to Yesterland, especially since modern Disney is incapable of creating a show that matches MV's creativity. But it wouldn't really surprise me to see it go. It's been operating for over 30 years which is an awfully long time for a film attraction.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I hate we never got a follow-up to Roger Rabbit. I wonder how a sequel would fare today assuming all the rights holders could agree to finally do one.

I feel like the Rescue Rangers movie was the spiritual successor (and closest we'll ever get) to a Roger Rabbit sequel (and I thoroughly enjoyed it)! As for a true sequel, without Bob Hoskins... I just don't know...

BrianLo

I don't know, didn't Universal's pivot with Epic Universe kind of disprove this? They intentionally went away from heavily relying on screens, and I assume that means they had data showing that guests were getting sick of them and/or didn't like them as much as other options.

I also wonder if that was part of killing the Coco flight simulator in favor of a boat ride.

There’s certainly a better balance, but Epic will still be screen heavy compared to the slate of 6 attractions coming to WDW, oddly enough. Fortunately, none are simulators across the board. Well, I have no idea about the one Villains attraction, so we can table that I guess and call it 5.

I know you disagreed that you didn’t feel WDW and especially MK needs simulators at all, but they certainly have given themselves even more leeway to do one now without ruining the balance of the park.

Sneaky

This was my exact experience two days ago. It still brings people joy. It gives kids something to do in an adult-skewed park that adults can enjoy too, with or without kids. Isn’t that the entire point of these parks?
The last time I went, I had a full house, and got to see the entire preshow. People were laughing along at a bunch of the jokes, and a bunch of kids and adults enjoyed it. I also wanted to go to pizzerizzo for some reason, and decided to take pictures of everything and suck it all in. Good on me I guess

Sneaky

Keeping tabs on Muppetvision moving rumors behind the scenes, be it to Disney+ or other park locations.

I've heard nothing serious about it yet.
hopefully the backlash makes them consider if they have their heats set on it leaving grand avenue. Hope for the best. Expect the worst. The idea of this going to imagination makes me chuckle, because it’d be funny for imagination to basically turn into the “Disney fan cult classic” pavilion

erasure fan1

I think parks fans overestimate the popularity of Muppets today. Disney has tried repeatedly to get the Muppets to be popular again in today's day and age and my sense is that it hasn't really worked
Have you seen their attempts? It hasn't caught on because most of it has been meh to bad. As you say Muppets 2011 was a good return for them. It did well, people enjoyed it, it won an Oscar for best song. But then a bunch of questionable choices and the Muppets 2 takes 3 steps back. The next few projects were not great at all.

So after a string of bad they releases, we get muppets mayhem. It's very well received by the fans and critic's. It won some awards, spawned a #1 album so of course they cancel it. It was the closest to original Henson Muppets they've come. Every time they give the ip a good new starting point, they take a dump on it. It's absolutely no wonder why people are down on it.

Oz has said Disney has never come to him for help with them. Who knows them better than him? No one. Last I looked, the Muppet web shorts did great. The bohemian rhapsody had almost 200mil views. Now don't get wrong. The Muppets will never be a major anchor for Disney. But they have a place, they have a following, and they can sell merch if done the proper way.

Tha Realest

I feel like the Rescue Rangers movie was the spiritual successor (and closest we'll ever get) to a Roger Rabbit sequel (and I thoroughly enjoyed it)! As for a true sequel, without Bob Hoskins... I just don't know...
Agree with all that. Hoskins gave one of the greatest performances of all time in that role. Best chance they had was back in the streaming gold rush days where every pitch got greenlit. Would’ve loved to have seen Josh Gad play a relative of Hoskins character and they’re teaming up to solve a mystery in post WWII LA.

GenChi

Been following the back and forth on this, this is my entirely headcanon likely false conspiracy to make sense of this whole thing.

Monsters was set to replace Muppetvision and that area of the park. They had concept art ready for D23 to confirm it. They was greenlit as late as July 17th this year, that's why you started to see a random article about making it a "historical site" (though it can't be with its age), that journalist got the tip they might be removing this. Internally some are fighting for it to stay and there's a campaign from them.

They knew removing would get heavy backlash, it is now with no confirmation. Muppet fans are very passionate and this is a realic of Jim's final works. Where I get into full conspiracy is I believe the rumors they want to replace HOP with Muppets, as that's a massive lightning rod headache for them and Muppets is something they still want around. That would soften the blow if announced the same time at D23. What threw a wrench is the unprecedented election withdraw late July. To not get too into politics if they closed HOP right before we get the first female president it would be a very bad look and they figured that out in a few days. So they have to keep HOP at least until after election, but that would also mean announcing Muppetvision leaving without a replacement which would be insane meltdown levels. So Monsters is just announced without a specific location as they aren't sure yet on final plans where to put Monsters or if HOP is shutting down soon or in 4 years.

There seems to be a last minute push internally to move Monsters to AC and spare Muppets. There's definite connections they are making with journalists and influences to push a final online campaign to save it, and also why you hear so many conflicting stories on what's being replaced. How that ends up is anyone's guess, many ways it could between multiple ride's fates

TrainsOfDisney

Imagineering also “owns” muppets as an IP - and they are extremely passionate fans themselves.

Not that the higher ups truly care - but if they plan on using AC and muppets areas for the future either way - do AC first and keep muppets open until after another new area opens - that’s just the best for guests in Disneys smallest park.

I could multiple reasons they are trying to fight for the AC location - not sure what the real issue is to be honest.

Could Bluey be coming to the Disney Junior soundstage at Animation Courtyard?

I could see a scenario where this is the plan, they had the meet n greet on the convention floor. Decided not to announce it, because if fans found out that Bluey is coming to the courtyard, then fans would also realize that Monsters is taking over the Muppet area.

The Leader of the Club

I could see a scenario where this is the plan, they had the meet n greet on the convention floor. Decided not to announce it, because if fans found out that Bluey is coming to the courtyard, then fans would also realize that Monsters is taking over the Muppet area.
I think if they’d worked out a Bluey deal they would have announced it for the DCA Junior show at least.

Moth

Legality issues along with Disney passing on theme parks rights and it not being offered since reportedly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom