News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

aladdin2007

I wish they’d close PhillarMagic and somehow fit a classic fantasyland style dark ride in that space. Make up for them closing Snow White for a meet and greet.
I wish they would just ditch the meetngreet and get a classic dark ride back in there,,,but I think those days are gone they dont have any desire to do a classic busbar dark ride ever again most likely. sadly. encanto at ak? maybe but we dont know its format exactly yet and that will be larger anyway.

Disney Analyst

I don't know, didn't Universal's pivot with Epic Universe kind of disprove this? They intentionally went away from heavily relying on screens, and I assume that means they had data showing that guests were getting sick of them and/or didn't like them as much as other options.

I also wonder if that was part of killing the Coco flight simulator in favor of a boat ride.

I think Universal's issue was that of balance. When almost ALL the new rides in USF were screen based, that is where the issue lies. Especially when some of them are just really not good.

They have Minion Mayhem, Minion Blast, Transformers, Gringotts, Jimmy Fallon, Fast and the Furious, and Simpson's, all in one park. And they replaced practical attractions to do two of those.

No one really takes much issue with Forbidden Journey, or Spider-Man. Again, not all "screenz rides" are create equal. Projection effects, or screens used for immersive moments in an attraction are not the issue.

wildphantom

Minion Mayhem sucks without the 3D (bring back Hanna Barbera) and that new Villaincon shooter is awful. It’s actually amazing how for such a massive IP that the Despicable Me attractions are so mediocre in Uni.

Anyways, Simpsons - it will be really weird if Disney do eventually incorporate the property in any meaningful way to the Disney Parks. I love Simpsons as much as anybody, but don’t feel like there’s much they could do that would make it seem like I hadn’t already experienced a version of it that did the job at their arch enemy’s playground.

Zootopia would make more sense.

UNCgolf

I think Universal's issue was that of balance. When almost ALL the new rides in USF were screen based, that is where the issue lies. Especially when some of them are just really not good.

They have Minion Mayhem, Minion Blast, Transformers, Gringotts, Jimmy Fallon, Fast and the Furious, and Simpson's, all in one park. And they replaced practical attractions to do two of those.

No one really takes much issue with Forbidden Journey, or Spider-Man. Again, not all "screenz rides" are create equal. Projection effects, or screens used for immersive moments in an attraction are not the issue.

I don't know if I'd put Forbidden Journey in that category, although the screen based broom flight simulator parts of the attraction kind of suck and drag the rest of the attraction down. Spider-Man is also a blend, although I think it's more screen-based than FJ.

But yes, I have no problem with screens being off and on for parts of an attraction. But when they're the vast majority of the attraction (or the entire attraction), I think they tend to wear out their welcome more quickly compared to something like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Even a ride like Flight of Passage, which is excellent, doesn't have the same long-term appeal to me as other attractions because it mainly boils down to watching a movie. I'm already at a point where FOP doesn't feel worth waiting in any kind of longer line to ride and I really like it.

Regardless, I agree that a big part of the problem for Universal was that they were almost solely building heavily or solely screen attractions for a while.

jason976

He is the epitome of overdone enthusiastic annoying cartoon characters though!
You’re not wrong but somehow I still don’t care 😂😂

Seriously…I think he’s a cool character that was made annoying by the current version of the ride that has overstayed its welcome. Here’s hoping for a positive change that keeps him in the fold.

Fox&Hound

I just dont understand even a hint of a Simpsons rumor. They are no longer relevant, most younger kids would recognize them but they arent valued by them, and Universal already brought them to life. Why would DIS want these sloppy seconds? Yes, they want to use their FOX acquisition, but I think that is much more about streaming than anything else. Why would they want their Simpsons land compared to what Universal did years before(and lets face it, it will be better than whatever DIS would do with them)? Not to mention they just are wrong for the parks. If they ever bring them to the parks in a real way I will know they have truly lost their way.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I firmly believe that if they were to make a real Muppet variety Show reboot, featuring modern celebrities, it would be a success and reassert them as a cultural presence. But Disney tries literally everything else first.
There was Studio DC on Disney Channel in 2005 and Muppets Now in 2020. Both skit/variety shows full of celebrities. We can talk quality (they definitely were not the Muppets at their best imo), but they did do two different variety shows featuring modern celebrities.

Plus, 2 sitcoms aimed at older audiences while still accessible to kids. And 2 theatrical movies that were well received by critics and fans. And a young kids cartoon that got great reviews. Plus 2 well received and well advertised holiday specials. And 3 different pop up shows in theme parks. Plus, had them host Destination D23. And had them host part of food and wine last year. That's not even mentioning Earth to Ned which was a Muppet talk show in all but name. Or Muppets appearing in video games like Speedstorm and Mirrorverse or card games like Lorcana. Or cameos in other popular shows like when Kermit was in Amphibia. All of that was within the last 20 years and most within the last 10.

Again, quality can be debated on these but most of them were pretty well received by fans and usually critics too. There's a lot we can discuss about Disney's treatment of the Muppets. But Disney has definitely been trying and trying nearly every form of media or style of show for years including variety shows. The Muppets just have not resonated in a big way for whatever reason. They've remained more niche no matter what Disney has done.

Which is why as sad as it makes me, I'm not shocked MuppetVision is on the chopping block in the next 5 years. I just hope they find another home for the Muppets even if its something smaller, preserve the film on streaming or DVD, and make whatever replaces it worth it. If it's Monsters here, then whatever does replace AC better be worth it

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Muppets Now wasn't a variety show. For one thing, it had no variety. It was a collection of painfully unfunny videos originally intended for YouTube.
I suppose its debatable if it counts as a variety show or just a sketch comedy show, but there is a central host and a variety of sketches/performances. But the fact that it sucks doesn't really make it a different kind of show. It just makes it a bad show

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This was made worse by so many of the rides using the "frantic chase" storyline. I love Universal, but it did get a little repetitive.

Sectorkeeper71

With Cars going to New Frontierland (at the moment) What happens to Race Academy at DHS? And If Monsters takes over Muppets might I suggest a compromise? LMRA/Sunset showcase bldg.
I would imagine the racing academy would close sooner than later if the new cars stuff does happen. That theater is in such a weird corner of the park that I almost feel like anything put there is gonna pull “meh” crowds, whether quality or not

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom