News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Leader of the Club

I legitimately just can’t fathom Disney thinking they could announce MuppetVision’s closure the day before Frank Oz becomes a Disney Legend. Or choosing to play Rainbow Connection when the panel ended. Like, how much salt can you rub in the wound Josh?

That would be like having Phylicia Rashad announce that everyone in the Honda center would receive a copy of Tom Sawyer.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Been following the back and forth on this, this is my entirely headcanon likely false conspiracy to make sense of this whole thing.

Monsters was set to replace Muppetvision and that area of the park. They had concept art ready for D23 to confirm it. They was greenlit as late as July 17th this year, that's why you started to see a random article about making it a "historical site" (though it can't be with its age), that journalist got the tip they might be removing this. Internally some are fighting for it to stay and there's a campaign from them.

They knew removing would get heavy backlash, it is now with no confirmation. Muppet fans are very passionate and this is a realic of Jim's final works. Where I get into full conspiracy is I believe the rumors they want to replace HOP with Muppets, as that's a massive lightning rod headache for them and Muppets is something they still want around. That would soften the blow if announced the same time at D23. What threw a wrench is the unprecedented election withdraw late July. To not get too into politics if they closed HOP right before we get the first female president it would be a very bad look and they figured that out in a few days. So they have to keep HOP at least until after election, but that would also mean announcing Muppetvision leaving without a replacement which would be insane meltdown levels. So Monsters is just announced without a specific location as they aren't sure yet on final plans where to put Monsters or if HOP is shutting down soon or in 4 years.

There seems to be a last minute push internally to move Monsters to AC and spare Muppets. There's definite connections they are making with journalists and influences to push a final online campaign to save it, and also why you hear so many conflicting stories on what's being replaced. How that ends up is anyone's guess, many ways it could between multiple ride's fates
This is so interesting read. I love the way you respond to my post with logic so I appreciate as how the inner workings is.

When I picture Monster's Inc, I picture it down somewhere East of Toy Story Land. Whether it takes over Animation Courtyard, I would be okay with that. The only thing that I love is the Walt Disney film and could someone tell me if they are considering guttering that or is that an important spot being kept and Voyage of The Little Mermaid show is going to be beside it. I think we are talking about behind it where Launch Bay is and current Disney Junior meet and greets! Would it extend more behind and maybe North West is possible.

Now replacing Muppets for Monster's Land I can see why the streets may be similar but when discussing the difference in scenarios with Cars taking on Frontierland vs this it's very hysterical because for one park they are saying that the land isn't bringing them money and people aren't going really Tom Sawyer Island and ROA meanwhile for Hollywood Studios they aren't saying the defunct wasteful side of Launch Bay and more areas to the North East is a missing part of the Park to fill it and therefore there isn't bringing money when Muppets is a working Exclusive Land from a Beloved Property even with parts of it not open it's working and people flock and love it for what it is. So I guess they view Muppets Courtyard the exact same way as Frontierland TSI and ROA but the other North East side of Hollywood Studios isn't underutilized matter.

Fox&Hound

The real baffling part of Muppets Courtyard is the closed gift shop - anyone with basic retail knowledge could turn that into a gold mine.

A muppet meet and greet is another missed opportunity although puppeteers do get slightly more $ than costumed characters.
They used to have Kermit and Piggy as costumed characters back in the day. It was awesome!

Thanks phoenicians

Has it been confirmed if Commissary lane would impacted if this goes to Muppets Courtyard? Muppets Courtyard itself is only roughly 2.5 acres, so if Star Tours and Commissary lane are untouched then I'm assuming they're planning to eat some of the parking area. Baseline, Sci-Fi and the commissary do seem like things they'd consider retheming in line with "new DHS" though. For reference, I'm just estimating Monsters will need around 6 acres.

CaptinEO

You’re not wrong but somehow I still don’t care 😂😂

Seriously…I think he’s a cool character that was made annoying by the current version of the ride that has overstayed its welcome. Here’s hoping for a positive change that keeps him in the fold.
I haven't been on the original version and I'd imagine most epcot visitors also haven't. The merchandise thats so popular of figment to this day doesn't make sense to me.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Yeah that’s the 2026 project. The current rumored timeline for them is
2025 - EU
2026 - Rockit replacement
2027 - EU expansion 1 (Luigi’s Mansion)
2028 - Zelda in IOA
2029 - EU expansion 2 (Potter or Monsters)
2030 - Pokemon in USF’s current Springfield location
Depending on how much USF attendance craters due to EU, it's entirely possible from speculation over on the IU forums that Pokemon could be fast tracked ahead of the 2030 debut. There have also been rumblings that Simpsons is closing earlier at USH before 2028.

TimeDuck

Depending on how much USF attendance craters due to EU, it's entirely possible from speculation over on the IU forums that Pokemon could be fast tracked ahead of the 2030 debut. There have also been rumblings that Simpsons is closing earlier at USH before 2028.
Not to continue off-topic but they would be absolutely insane not to immediately fast track Pokemon at both USF and USH immediately after opening EU.

The only reason people will be visiting USF after 2025 is if that's the only way to get into EU.

We bought a one day park hopper on our last trip and literally only ended up using it to ride Hogwarts Express at the end of the night before going home.

IMDREW

Wouldn't placing this in AC gridlock their expansion possibilities? As I understand it, this concept was not planned for any large land, but just the ride and adjacent dining/shop. If they were to place it in AC, they would have to expand it a lot to make good use of the land OR plop that gravity building right in the middle of the expansion plot, canceling any other expansion possibilities over there.

DarkMetroid567

Not to continue off-topic but they would be absolutely insane not to immediately fast track Pokemon at both USF and USH immediately after opening EU.

The only reason people will be visiting USF after 2025 is if that's the only way to get into EU.

We bought a one day park hopper on our last trip and literally only ended up using it to ride Hogwarts Express at the end of the night before going home.
It might be a cash flow thing. Universal is both losing a ton of money (Peacock, movie flops, lower park attendance) and probably spending an astronomical amount on Epic. Perhaps Pokemon plans are beyond what they’ll have available.

JKick95

It might be a cash flow thing. Universal is both losing a ton of money (Peacock, movie flops, lower park attendance) and probably spending an astronomical amount on Epic. Perhaps Pokemon plans are beyond what they’ll have available.
Do they plan to build a new attraction for Pokémon or is it just a new version of the current Simpsons ride?

doctornick

Wouldn't placing this in AC gridlock their expansion possibilities? As I understand it, this concept was not planned for any large land, but just the ride and adjacent dining/shop. If they were to place it in AC, they would have to expand it a lot to make good use of the land OR plop that gravity building right in the middle of the expansion plot, canceling any other expansion possibilities over there.
That’s where I’m at a but here. Ignoring Muppets for a moment, I feel like either option sounds terrible based on placement. Any new attraction at DHS needs to go on undeveloped land and expand the park and allow for further expansion.

If you are putting the door coaster in Muppets, it should retain the theater and the ride should be built in what is currently backstage by removing Mana Melrose and pushing back the loop road.

If you are build next to animation courtyard, you should be retaining Mermaid and Disney Jr and starting the new land where Launch Bay is and building the bulk of the land where the backstage buildings are and connecting the area to RNR (and leaving other space for more expansion).

If I understand correctly, the idea of going to AC is to plop the door coaster on the Launch Bay footprint which would totally cut off future expansions to the backstage between there and TSL. That’s just so idiotic and shortsighted. It’s worse than losing Muppets because it’s messing up the entire future of the park (which is already a mess).

LSLS

The more I think about this, the more it seems to me the biggest botch here is the phasing. Monsters is a miniland, so that's why they feel the need to use it in the Muppets area with it being much smaller. BUT, that's a really hard sell with all that dead space on the other side of the park. Had they decided to make a major addition to AC first, and THEN announce Muppets closing, I think it would be slightly better received (still a lot of anger from people like me, but others I think would accept it better). I think their real options were either make Monsters a much larger land to fill AC, or have Zootopia ready to go first (or whatever else is going there). I would argue Monsters being larger would make the most sense as again, you could at least start trying to put together some sort of a themed area with a Pixar area going, but theming seems to be way down the list of priorities anyways. Instead, they went with the worst option, which is leave the dead space while eliminating attractions and places to eat.

Brer Panther

Just lurking along here and some comments have made me curious if perhaps Pete Docter/Pixar might ever consider a movie based on Figment? Interested to hear some of more knowledgeable fan's thoughts?
Based on the cameos he's made in Inside Out and Toy Story 4, plus the dragon mascot in Onward resembling him, there are clearly some Figment fans at PIXAR. Maybe they HAVE considered it.
I think parks fans overestimate the popularity of Muppets today. Disney has tried repeatedly to get the Muppets to be popular again in today's day and age and my sense is that it hasn't really worked (maybe the 2011 movie was one exception as it had a decent box office return).
Maybe if Muppets Most Wanted hadn't been so bad...

mhochman

My ongoing dream is a Great Muppet Ride, where you start on something like a Muppet Treasure Island version of Pirates, and Crazy Harry fires a cannon and blows up the wrong part, sending your boat through Muppet versions of other Disney rides. The Fozzy Bear Jamboree, The Enchanted Chicken Coop, American Sings with Sam Eagle, etc.etc. All ending with a great it’s a small world finale room with the Muppets singing Rainbow Connection. You cannot tell me that would not be an endlessly popular ride, with tremendous repeatability for people to catch all the jokes.
This sounds amazing. I assume there's a Pigs in Space room that goes after Rise?

mhochman

The real baffling part of Muppets Courtyard is the closed gift shop - anyone with basic retail knowledge could turn that into a gold mine.

A muppet meet and greet is another missed opportunity although puppeteers do get slightly more $ than costumed characters.
When it was a muppets store I used to spend at least a half hour in there (and a decent amount of $$).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom