News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

I don’t like the dead ending proposal for Animation Courtyard. The park flow needs to be released over there.

Yeah, if the option of Monsters Inc going into AC is literally to just use the courtyard (and have the coaster replace Launch Bay) then that's a terrible option too. In fact, worse than Muppets. When I talk something going into "Animation Courtyard", I mean tearing down the entire old Animation building (Launch Bay + offices) and building on current backstage space and connecting it to RNR for guests. Anything going into that area but not doing that stuff - or even worse, cutting off the connection to be able to use backstage - is a big fail.

Sectorkeeper71

Yes. Absolutely. Just like Pirates or Tiki or Spaceship Earth.

This is the same deeply silly “new beats old” logic that has utterly ruined EPCOT and done significant damage to Magic Kingdom.
Sure but all legacy rides have gotten refreshed and touched up over time (for better and worse). How much of that can be done with the muppet film? It’s incredibly dated because it was shot almost 40 years ago. Do I still enjoy it? Sure. But it shows its age

JohnD

A few things here.

• I was told by two different sources on Friday that the Monster's Inc Coaster was going to Muppets Courtyard. One said it may also be extending to Star Tours as well.
  • Some have speculated that they may not know exactly where this is going, I think they do and I think it's Muppets. I hope I'm wrong. It's also possible that something else is earmarked for Animation Courtyard
  • I put this in the TRON category. Not for intensity or anything, but because it's not really what the park needs but I'd consider it a welcome addition. The same was true of MK, it didn't need TRON, but it's not a bad addition. That being said, I sincerely hope there are plans for the Muppets if they're being evicted.
  • I have heard from multiple people that this is going to be a low capacity attraction. If it's that Vekoma coaster, it most certainly will be low capacity. I feared that this was something like Pteranadon Flyers but I don't think it's that bad.
According to Blog Mickey, the water tower is above Pizzerizos, putting the coaster again, in one of the concepts, over Mama Melrose and extending into the parking lot and NOT toward ST.

"In this first piece of concept art below, we can see clear identifying marks for the Muppet Courtyard theory. A water tower over Sulley’s shoulder unmistakably matches the current water tower above the PizzeRizzo restaurant, placing the Monsters Inc. building somewhere in the vicinity of the current Mama Melrose restaurant. The shuttered Studio 1 building would be located roughly where the lush park area is currently seen, placing MuppetVision 3D where the corner market is on the right side of the concept below."

The Leader of the Club

Yeah that’s the 2026 project. The current rumored timeline for them is
2025 - EU
2026 - Rockit replacement
2027 - EU expansion 1 (Luigi’s Mansion)
2028 - Zelda in IOA
2029 - EU expansion 2 (Potter or Monsters)
2030 - Pokemon in USF’s current Springfield location
As someone who doesn’t care about Nintendo at all…this doesn't excite me at all. That’s the danger of only building IP lands.
Sure but all legacy rides have gotten refreshed and touched up over time (for better and worse). How much of that can be done with the muppet film? It’s incredibly dated because it was shot almost 40 years ago. Do I still enjoy it? Sure. But it shows its age
Literally, if they just reanimate Waldo and restore the footage every decade or so, it can last as long as any other WDW attraction

MKeeler

But is Muppet Vision an attraction that can run unaltered for 50 years?
I would counter that it’s not one that has to run 50 years unaltered necessarily, but unaltered doesn’t need to mean replaced. Theater attractions should be the easiest to add alternate or seasonal program. Why has there never been a Muppet Christmas Carol 3D show added to the theater for the holiday season? With that being in some generations the highest rated Christmas movie, that theater would be swamped at that time. It doesn’t have to be the movie, but can reference it and use songs from it to present a condensed version. Then programming can return to MuppetVision 3D. It extends the life of this attraction, keeping valuable capacity for a fraction of the cost, while something like Monstropolis can go where it truly adds capacity and value to a park that desperately needs it.

Disney Analyst

I fundamentally disagree. Age does not mean something is bad.

I mean, yes and no. Sometimes age does mean something is bad, if society has grown from a concept, or if it's become too normalized.

I think part of the issue Muppets is facing, 3D / 4D theatre attractions are such a normal concept these days, I can go to my movie theatre and experience one, the "gimmick" isn't unique or special anymore. Add in an IP that is frankly, well... dying ...

Of course, this attraction does take it up several notches with Animatronics etc, so it is still unique in that way, but the real question is what is the actual expiry date for this attraction, where it will legit just be a relic barely anyone goes to? 20-30 years from now? I love the Muppets, but this attraction does not scream timeless to me, not in the same way Mansion or Pirates does.

I am sure Disney is thinking long game here, when it comes to this area. I think the fate of Muppets is sealed, and it's just a matter of when.

JohnD

There's an elephant in the room.

If you keep Grand Avenue as-is and put Monsters Inc. in the Animation Courtyard, you push the Zootopia land to another park.
You forgot there is still Animation Courtyard. And debate is about whether Monster, Inc. would go into either. Which would leave Zootopia, maybe, for the other location.

KDM31091

Maybe I'm biased, but to me Muppets is perhaps dated, but in a charming, nostalgic way, and still draws people. It's not like I have ever been sitting in the theater alone watching it, not even close. Usually at least half full or more.

Not everything has to be flashy, fancy and new. It's fine as is, it's not broken, why fix it? Why rip it out to put in another thrill ride? Muppets is something the whole family can enjoy. HS already is short on things like that, especially if you do not want to wait for an hour or more in the hot sun (Slinky Dog Dash).

Thanks phoenicians

There's an elephant in the room.

If you keep Grand Avenue as-is and put Monsters Inc. in the Animation Courtyard, you push the Zootopia land to another park.
Not necessarily. They could easily use Grande Ave for zootopia. There's also the whole Echo Lake and Indy stunt show area that could theoretically be used. If they really wanted a big plot of land for whatever theme they decide on, they could even stretch from Indy to Grand Ave and re-theme Star Tours. I think even if Grand Ave survives for now I'm not sure it means it won't go (somewhat) soon after

doctornick

Honestly, I enjoy the Muppets film, but it doesn't have the sort of "untouchable" status to me that other things do. Would I mind it remaining as a tribute to Henson? Sure, that's cool. But I don't feel it is sacrosanct and cannot be removed, especially if the Muppets have some other presence in the parks.

I too feel it is kinda dated and I actually find Waldo kind of annoying. Most of the rest of the show is good including the stuff in the theater itself. I lament the potential loss because I think as a continuous available high capacity show, it feels a big need for DHS. But if they replaced it with a similar caliber show, I'd be fine.

I actually will miss ITTBAB more than MuppetVision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom