News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney Analyst

You write all this in an era where every single ride Disney AND Universal builds is screen-based in a society in which everybody has multiple screens in their homes and their hands. It’s an old, meaningless argument - out-dated even.

What makes an attraction “timeless” isn’t the tech, it’s the artistry of the aesthetics, the writing, the concept. We’ve now got a bunch of people in this thread buying into the execs “new is inherently superior to old” despite three decades or so of unbroken experience that disproves the idea.

I wondered if someone would argue this, but I firmly believe a screen based attraction, in a moving ride vehicle, or even a simulator, are still so fundamentally different than anything most people can experience on the regular, it goes without saying. I think they will have greater longevity.

But of course, ANY attraction can be timeless, regardless of the IP or the mechanism at play. I just think the nature of the Muppet attraction, the medium, does not help keep it around forever.

But I also believe most of these screen based attractions will need to be seriously upgraded or fully replaced after 30-50 years. There is a reason we really only count a few attractions as timeless.

James Alucobond

Here's a question to ponder. If DHS is finally filled with a decent capacity of attractions, does Muppets become less attended?

I always thought part of the higher popularity out east was simply due to DHS being so under built and grossly lacking in things to do, people are kinda just forced to do it.

Meanwhile out west, where between two parks there is SOOO much to do, Muppets could only survive ... 13 years? Is the audience that different, or is Muppets helped by the problem that is DHS?
It’s not like Monsters will add significant capacity, though. The discussion of removing capacity of the sort offered by MuppetVision should 100% be kicked down the road when you have a completely useless fork right in the front of the park like you do with Animation Courtyard. If they want to save the Monsters, Inc. plans for later because they think Grand Avenue is the ideal place for that, then fine. But Animation Courtyard should be developed first regardless of content.

BrianLo

Yes. Absolutely. Just like Pirates or Tiki or Spaceship Earth.

This is the same deeply silly “new beats old” logic that has utterly ruined EPCOT and done significant damage to Magic Kingdom.

We simply won’t see eye to eye on this one. But I really feel like the screen media attractions have a shelf life. Even if that means it’s remastered with a new whatever the 3D character is named. It certainly doesn’t mean new IS inherently better, but there comes a time when we need new. I really for example feel like China needs a new film, but perhaps that’s unfair since it’s so much more visibly dated.

I unfortunately think my position is more representative of the general public. This doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate loving nostalgia. I’d point to the new Adventure treehouse at Disneyland as how to thread the needle correctly.

CaptinEO

Honestly, I enjoy the Muppets film, but it doesn't have the sort of "untouchable" status to me that other things do. Would I mind it remaining as a tribute to Henson? Sure, that's cool. But I don't feel it is sacrosanct and cannot be removed, especially if the Muppets have some other presence in the parks.

I too feel it is kinda dated and I actually find Waldo kind of annoying. Most of the rest of the show is good including the stuff in the theater itself. I lament the potential loss because I think as a continuous available high capacity show, it feels a big need for DHS. But if they replaced it with a similar caliber show, I'd be fine.

I actually will miss ITTBAB more than MuppetVision.
I agree with this take 100%.

I'm surprised how many people put this show on a pedestal. It's a decent show
but nothing timeless.

Waldo and Figment are the most annoying characters Disney has ever made.

Sneaky

We simply won’t see eye to eye on this one. But I really feel like the screen media attractions have a shelf life. Even if that means it’s remastered with a new whatever the 3D character is named. It certainly doesn’t mean new IS inherently better, but there comes a time when we need new. I really for example feel like China needs a new film, but perhaps that’s unfair since it’s so much more visibly dated.

I unfortunately think my position is more representative of the general public. This doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate loving nostalgia. I’d point to the new Adventure treehouse at Disneyland as how to thread the needle correctly.
I am a man of two minds on this. I do think 3D films themselves are Inherently going to be dated. But muppetvision is so well written, so much more than a 3D film effects wise. I’d be more open to it if the muppets were to get a ground up ride, but there is no realistic path to that, and who knows how well written it would be with modern muppets. I wish great muppet movie ride got built, because that could’ve been something truly timeless.

ToTBellHop

They won’t have much room for a show but imagine this except it’s Sully:
1723583247219.gif

1723583298818.gif

Sneaky

I am a man of two minds on this. I do think 3D films themselves are Inherently going to be dated. But muppetvision is so well written, so much more than a 3D film effects wise. I’d be more open to it if the muppets were to get a ground up ride, but there is no realistic path to that, and who knows how well written it would be with modern muppets. I wish great muppet movie ride got built, because that could’ve been something truly timeless.
And no, HOP muppets still wouldn’t solve it. Muppets need a physical thing like an actual ride. No way they get it.

MKeeler

What burns me about even the potential that the Muppet area is an option for Monstropolis, is that everything outlined in red below should be considered for expansion before anything is replaced. I realize I have Mermaid and One Man’s Dream in that area, but those are most easily moved. Everything else (minus any chiller or absolute park necessity infrastructure that I’m not certain of), should be more than enough to cover Monstropolis and Zootopia, side by side and completely filling out that side of the park. If Simpsons has to go somewhere then, put it in Echo Lake and Indy, completing the transformation from a behind the scenes park to a park of various film worlds. Then there’s everything, Monstropolis, Zootopia, Springfield, and Muppets. I’m just tired of all the taking when what’s needed is multiple, multiple additions.

IMG_0019.jpeg

doctornick

It’s not like Monsters will add significant capacity, though. The discussion of removing capacity of the sort offered by MuppetVision should 100% be kicked down the road when you have a completely useless fork right in the front of the park like you do with Animation Courtyard. If they want to save the Monsters, Inc. plans for later because they think Grand Avenue is the ideal place for that, then fine. But Animation Courtyard should be developed first regardless of content.

I tend to agree. I will however say that if the Monsters concept at Grand Ave involves replacing MV with a Monsters show and having the door coaster, it is less of an issue going there although it would still suck after MV closes and this would open.

chriswacy

I understand it's not as simple as moving the film, since there are animatronics & in-theater effects, but they have so many theaters showing filler (Mickey Shorts, Disney/Pixar Short Film Festival), surely MuppetVision would be a better fit for those spaces, and probably cheaper than moving Muppets to HoP.

Sneaky

Like, a muppet dark ride inspired by muppet vision and the original muppet studios concepts could be SO GOOD. hell, make it interactive like ride and go seek to bring people in. The muppets have so much more potential than just shows that have an eventual shelf life. But no way Disney green lights it.

Erdago

Waldo and Figment are the most annoying characters Disney has ever made.
Disney didn’t make Waldo; the character was created for The Jim Henson Hour in 1989, but was only ever in that show and Muppet Vision 3D.

Due to the character’s sheer obscurity outside of Muppet Vision, it’s abnormal design compared to the rest of the franchise, and the show giving it a clear birth and death in the context of Muppet Vision, it’s very easy to inadvertently think the character was created for the attraction (I certainly did for a very long time).

doctornick

What burns me about even the potential that the Muppet area is an option for Monstropolis, is that everything outlined in red below should be considered for expansion before anything is replaced. I realize I have Mermaid and One Man’s Dream in that area, but those are most easily moved. Everything else (minus any chiller or absolute park necessity infrastructure that I’m not certain of), should be more than enough to cover Monstropolis and Zootopia, side by side and completely filling out that side of the park. If Simpsons has to go somewhere then, put it in Echo Lake and Indy, completing the transformation from a behind the scenes park to a park of various film worlds. Then there’s everything, Monstropolis, Zootopia, Springfield, and Muppets. I’m just tired of all the taking when what’s needed is multiple, multiple additions.

View attachment 809137

I would leave One Mans Dream and Mermaid - you can just have the existing Animation Courtyard remain and be the pathway to new land(s) - but otherwise I'd agree. If I were in charge, I would not remove a single existing guest facing thing except (1) Launch Bay and then later (2) Stunt Show and build on all the backstage stuff first. Once all those acres are developed, then okay you can look at MuppetVision or Star Tours or whatever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom