News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

RSoxNo1

According to Blog Mickey, the water tower is above Pizzerizos, putting the coaster again, in one of the concepts, over Mama Melrose and extending into the parking lot and NOT toward ST.

"In this first piece of concept art below, we can see clear identifying marks for the Muppet Courtyard theory. A water tower over Sulley’s shoulder unmistakably matches the current water tower above the PizzeRizzo restaurant, placing the Monsters Inc. building somewhere in the vicinity of the current Mama Melrose restaurant. The shuttered Studio 1 building would be located roughly where the lush park area is currently seen, placing MuppetVision 3D where the corner market is on the right side of the concept below."
I don't think it's unreasonable to re-work Cypress Drive and expand beyond the existing boarder of the park? Does anyone have a recent photo of that area? Google Maps is from like 5 years ago.

Disney Analyst

Maybe I'm biased, but to me Muppets is perhaps dated, but in a charming, nostalgic way, and still draws people. It's not like I have ever been sitting in the theater alone watching it, not even close. Usually at least half full or more.

Not everything has to be flashy, fancy and new. It's fine as is, it's not broken, why fix it? Why rip it out to put in another thrill ride? Muppets is something the whole family can enjoy. HS already is short on things like that, especially if you do not want to wait for an hour or more in the hot sun (Slinky Dog Dash).

Here's a question to ponder. If DHS is finally filled with a decent capacity of attractions, does Muppets become less attended?

I always thought part of the higher popularity out east was simply due to DHS being so under built and grossly lacking in things to do, people are kinda just forced to do it.

Meanwhile out west, where between two parks there is SOOO much to do, Muppets could only survive ... 13 years? Is the audience that different, or is Muppets helped by the problem that is DHS?

Sectorkeeper71

Honestly, I enjoy the Muppets film, but it doesn't have the sort of "untouchable" status to me that other things do. Would I mind it remaining as a tribute to Henson? Sure, that's cool. But I don't feel it is sacrosanct and cannot be removed, especially if the Muppets have some other presence in the parks.

I too feel it is kinda dated and I actually find Waldo kind of annoying. Most of the rest of the show is good including the stuff in the theater itself. I lament the potential loss because I think as a continuous available high capacity show, it feels a big need for DHS. But if they replaced it with a similar caliber show, I'd be fine.

I actually will miss ITTBAB more than MuppetVision.
I love the in theater things and that’s really groundbreaking especially for when it debuted.

I’d be disappointed for it to go away entirely but I wish they’d plus it up and as someone else suggested maybe add seasonal shows. A lot of potential here, but the only thing we’re likely to get is it being cut from the parks entirely

doctornick

Here's a question to ponder. If DHS is finally filled with a decent capacity of attractions, does Muppets become less attended?

I always thought part of the higher popularity out east was simply due to DHS being so under built and grossly lacking in things to do, people are kinda just forced to do it.

Meanwhile out west, where between two parks there is SOOO much to do, Muppets could only survive ... 13 years? Is the audience that different, or is Muppets helped by the problem that is DHS?

While the feature of how much there is to do might play a role, audiences are much different. a lot of shows last a lot longer at WDW than at DLR - witness also the Frozen Singalong and CBJ and so on. A big part of that IMHO is the ratio of first time/infrequent visitors compared to regulars at the resorts.

Sectorkeeper71

Let's say it does go to animation courtyard is there enough room to make a significant land back there without tearing down RnR and Mermaid?
RnR is pretty far off to the side compared to AC, I don’t see that affected at all.

Mermaid would depend if they plan on redoing the whole courtyard over or making the animation building the entrance to the land and building out into backstage. You could probably also reroute the entrance/exit to the mermaid show to keep it from being in the new land

jason976

This is a great point. I enjoy the show but I believe you are onto something here. Most of the time when I go sit down to watch, it’s because I’m waiting on something else to do or I’m hot.

JohnD

I don't think it's unreasonable to re-work Cypress Drive and expand beyond the existing boarder of the park? Does anyone have a recent photo of that area? Google Maps is from like 5 years ago.
The areas under debate.
E59Ji2yXIAcp0HT -_.png

Sectorkeeper71

It also has to do with capacity of attractions that all ages can do.

There’s so few things young kids can do at the park. If you add more rides without height requirements/shows, then maybe it isn’t as popular

Casper Gutman

I mean, yes and no. Sometimes age does mean something is bad, if society has grown from a concept, or if it's become too normalized.

I think part of the issue Muppets is facing, 3D / 4D theatre attractions are such a normal concept these days, I can go to my movie theatre and experience one, the "gimmick" isn't unique or special anymore. Add in an IP that is frankly, well... dying ...

Of course, this attraction does take it up several notches with Animatronics etc, so it is still unique in that way, but the real question is what is the actual expiry date for this attraction, where it will legit just be a relic barely anyone goes to? 20-30 years from now? I love the Muppets, but this attraction does not scream timeless to me, not in the same way Mansion or Pirates does.

I am sure Disney is thinking long game here, when it comes to this area. I think the fate of Muppets is sealed, and it's just a matter of when.
You write all this in an era where every single ride Disney AND Universal builds is screen-based in a society in which everybody has multiple screens in their homes and their hands. It’s an old, meaningless argument - out-dated even.

What makes an attraction “timeless” isn’t the tech, it’s the artistry of the aesthetics, the writing, the concept. We’ve now got a bunch of people in this thread buying into the execs “new is inherently superior to old” despite three decades or so of unbroken experience that disproves the idea.

Sectorkeeper71

That is very true.
And come to think of it, they’ve slashed so much from the park that fits that bill without replacing it

GMR, animation academy, lights motors action stunt show, backlot tour and the HISTK playground right off the top of my head. Even something like the citizens of Hollywood is stuff for people to occupy people that has no wait or height limit.

I’m pretty sure everything that’s come in since then has some kinda height restriction. Runaway railway, millennium falcon, and the swirling saucers I think all have some minimum height requirement

Casper Gutman

Honestly, I enjoy the Muppets film, but it doesn't have the sort of "untouchable" status to me that other things do. Would I mind it remaining as a tribute to Henson? Sure, that's cool. But I don't feel it is sacrosanct and cannot be removed, especially if the Muppets have some other presence in the parks.

I too feel it is kinda dated and I actually find Waldo kind of annoying. Most of the rest of the show is good including the stuff in the theater itself. I lament the potential loss because I think as a continuous available high capacity show, it feels a big need for DHS. But if they replaced it with a similar caliber show, I'd be fine.

I actually will miss ITTBAB more than MuppetVision.
When was the last time Disney World produced a “similar caliber show”? When was the last time they even got close?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom