News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brer Panther

regarding Harryhausens, I wonder if some of the unique/exotic offerings from the Starliner will be introduced here as "monster" cuisine rather than "alien"?
I really hope, whenever somebody enters Harryhausen's, everyone already inside is required to shout "GET A PAPER BAG!" like in the movie. Otherwise, what's the point?
No way this replaces Muppets…Launch Bay is RIGHT THERE
I wouldn't be surprised if they consider Launch Bay sacred.

lentesta

Premium Member

Here's a view of both areas:

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 8.23.56 AM.png

Using the Muppets area:
  • Pros: There's already "city facade", plumbing, retail, and restaurants that can be adapted. I'm leaning towards the Monstropolis buildings fitting in better with the architecture of Galaxy's Edge than Sunset Boulevard.
  • Cons: You'd lose capacity from Muppets. It's constrained on 3 sides, limiting expansion.
Using the Launch Bay area and behind:
  • Pros: It's a larger area (I didn't think it was). More room for expansion.
  • Cons: You'd have to relocate parking and executive offices, and then build plumbing, restaurants, retail, and the rides.
I would not be surprised to hear - at some point in the future - the announcement of the closing of a bunch of existing attractions to make room for what we heard at D23.

doctornick

Here's a view of both areas:

View attachment 808559

Using the Muppets area:
  • Pros: There's already "city facade", plumbing, retail, and restaurants that can be adapted. I'm leaning towards the Monstropolis buildings fitting in better with the architecture of Galaxy's Edge than Sunset Boulevard.
  • Cons: You'd lose capacity from Muppets. It's constrained on 3 sides, limiting expansion.
Using the Launch Bay area and behind:
  • Pros: It's a larger area (I didn't think it was). More room for expansion.
  • Cons: You'd have to relocate parking and executive offices, and then build plumbing, restaurants, retail, and the rides.
I would not be surprised to hear - at some point in the future - the announcement of the closing of a bunch of existing attractions to make room for what we heard at D23.

If the powers that be ever shut down Muppets to build in that area, it would be professional malpractice to not involve the parking south of it. The parking south of DHS (and southeast next to the stunt show) is really the only viable direction to expand the footprint of the park. and DHS is the one WDW park that is constrained and needs plans to expand for future benefit.

I actually think the design of GE already was problematic by not considering the potential to expand south, but at least with Grand Avenue and Echo Lake there are still opportunities to "get to" that potential space - doing anything that prevents use of that land would be ridiculous. If there is a concern for the amount parking, an easy solution IMHO is to build a satellite lot on the other side of World Drive (where land is deemed "suitable to build") with an elevated walkway over the street.

Also, if you shut down Muppets and the food in the area, you not only lose the attraction capacity but two important restaurants for the park to function.

Regarding the Launch Bay area, which is going to have to be used to expand guest areas of the park at some point (so why not now?). That's the area that makes far more sense is is pretty much underutilized - and also would enable a connection to RNR area to help with guest flow. also...

1. Why not include the office space from the old animation Building as well? Would add to the available land and those services can be easily relocated to other sites. For that matter, why not the parking deck off of Stage Ln?

2. There is the cast cafeteria next to Disney Jr which can be repurposed to an "on stage" dining facility for Monstropolis.

ERED

With IJ going into AK now, is there any chance they would replace the stunt show? That would allow more expansion if they do take SWLB and MV3D. (For the record, I want this to take over AC and the backside of Sunset Blvd)

doctornick

With IJ going into AK now, is there any chance they would replace the stunt show? That would allow more expansion if they do take SWLB and MV3D. (For the record, I want this to take over AC and the backside of Sunset Blvd)

I would imagine they will eventually replace the stunt show but IJ in DAK is 3 years away and then they tend to be slow to change things anyway and have no problem operating the same IP in different parks.

If you remove the stunt show - and admittedly some backstage buildings that would need to be replaced - you can build into the parking lot and physically expand the park's footprint.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Muppets seems safe.....

From the official Disney Blog:

Monsters, Inc. Land – It’s laughter they’re after when a new space dedicated to Sulley, Mike, and all the other scarers jokesters arrive at Hollywood Studios.

(Note, bad hyperlink in their latest post...)

I don't think that means a totally new area. I highly doubt this will be totally greenfield development, it will replace something.

Spash007

I want to be wrong here - but if it were to be a new space, I feel like they would not limit themselves to a courtyard? If it were to go behind Sunset for example, that would end up being a street

LSLS

I think I'm really in on the idea they are only looking for replacements. I think the one thing that may save Muppets and Star Tours is that AC definitely has a good number of cast as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom