News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Prince-1

Since we're on the subject of the puppets' voices...how come Miss Piggy is voiced by a man? And Janice the hippie girl? Why aren't women doing those voices? The Muppets seem to be an all-boys club when it comes to their performers. Pretty sexist and misogynist if you ask me. After all, it's expected now that a black person must voice a black cartoon character, and so on. So why isn't Miss Piggy being voiced by a female now? And Janice? Surely there are female puppeteers out there who could handle it? Wow. Sexist indeed. I'm only half-kidding here. I think it's a good question.

Based on your previous posts I would say you are not kidding at all.

celluloid

That’s a bit of recency bias, but we’re on a fairly typical turnaround to major park installation on these franchises.

Monsters Inc is actually 22 years old, Indy 43. When it was installed in Disneyland it was only 14.

Not to mention the mixed bags of Villains is probably going to skew fairly old.
It is a bit different then just recency bias. Now things only get approved if something is rushed/shoehorned in for sales or because the timeliness of the next installment release. All amped because no in park IPs anymore.

Magenta Panther

Shall we recast Bart Simpson's voice actor while we're at it?
Yes, yes, that's true, most (if not all) cartoon voices for little boys are performed by women (like Tara Strong for Timmy Turner), because adult males have a much harder time doing it. But Marge Simpson is voiced by a woman, Lisa Simpson is voiced by a woman, so The Simpsons is not an all-boys club for cartoon voices. The puppets have only 2 female characters of note, yet both are performed by men. Worse, the pig's voice sounds like exactly like it is, a man half-strangling himself in an effort to talk in a high pitch. And it's damn annoying to listen to. Maybe the puppet handlers should consider being a little less sexist and hire some women to portray their few female characters. Maybe if the pig's voice stopped sounding like nails on a blackboard, it'd broaden the puppets' appeal, what there's left of it. Although that appeal has faded so badly, changing voices probably wouldn't help much at this point...

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, yes, that's true, most (if not all) cartoon voices for little boys are performed by women (like Tara Strong for Timmy Turner), because adult males have a much harder time doing it. But Marge Simpson is voiced by a woman, Lisa Simpson is voiced by a woman, so The Simpsons is not an all-boys club for cartoon voices. The puppets have only 2 female characters of note, yet both are performed by men. Worse, the pig's voice sounds like exactly like it is, a man half-strangling himself in an effort to talk in a high pitch. And it's damn annoying to listen to. Maybe the puppet handlers should consider being a little less sexist and hire some women to portray their few female characters. Maybe if the pig's voice stopped sounding like nails on a blackboard, it'd broaden the puppets' appeal, what there's left of it. Although that appeal has faded so badly, changing voices probably wouldn't help much at this point...
You think the puppet handlers are sexist? Where did you get that idea?

GenChi

Tom Corless continues to be absolutely sure that this is going in Animation Courtyard.

If it is Disney needs to stop dragging and just announce it to quell the discomfort they caused the last month 1/2 not saying anything or deciding between this and demolishing Muppets

People are going mad, we're descending into talking about the gender of voices for puppets, it's not looking great

Mr. Sullivan

because the timeliness of the next installment release. All amped because no in park IPs anymore.
I’ll give you the merch consideration but this specific thing seems rather irrelevant to most of these announcements as nothing they’re adding has an imminent new installment into their respective franchises.

celluloid

I’ll give you the merch consideration but this specific thing seems rather irrelevant to most of these announcements as nothing they’re adding has an imminent new installment into their respective franchises.
They sure do or had very recent developments. For example, a Monsters INC film.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Fran Brill of Sesame Street fame performed Janice in the original pilot for The Muppet Show. Then, in the first season, Eren Ozker performed Janice - Richard Hunt took over in Season 2.
And why wasn't Fran Brill allowed to continue voicing the puppet?

Imagine if all of Disney's female characters were voiced by men. I imagine the public would have something to say about that. But the puppets get away with it because most people don't care that much about them, I guess. All I can say is that when the pig puppet shows up on my TV for some commercial or ad or something, I'd feel less inclined to hurl the remote at the screen if she didn't sound like she was straining to pass a massive intestinal blockage. An actual female voice might be another matter. That's all.

But again, just messin'.

James Alucobond

And why wasn't Fran Brill allowed to continue voicing the puppet?

Imagine if all of Disney's female characters were voiced by men. I imagine the public would have something to say about that. But the puppets get away with it because most people don't care that much about them, I guess. All I can say is that when the pig puppet shows up on my TV for some commercial or ad or something, I'd feel less inclined to hurl the remote at the screen if she didn't sound like she was straining to pass a massive intestinal blockage. An actual female voice might be another matter. That's all.

But again, just messin'.
Not that any sort of balanced accounting is necessary, but I’m sure the few female characters out there voiced by men are more than offset by the number of adult women providing the voices for male children in many animated programs and games.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom