News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you!

Wait times are also a function of staffing and ride vehicles. One of the reasons why we started counting guests exiting a ride back in 2017 was that we suspected crowds and wait times were mismatched.

Just as one example, Space Mountain was running at under 1,200 riders/hour from 11 a.m. on Wednesday, 15 February 2017. The posted wait times for that hour ranged from 60 to 80 minutes. No downtime was observed.

Space Mountain seems to average around 1,600 guests per hour, so this was a 25% cut in capacity.

The highest hourly capacity we've ever measured at Space is 1,827, on 28 March 2018 starting at 11:45 a.m. Or, more than 50% more that that day in 2017.
I never doubt data science and that is what you do…but there is a lot of fan misconception on crowds in the current genie world

For example: today Disney parks released their after house announcement on face book and the reactions were “thank god, the parks are MOBBED”

Now those could be bots from TWDC…

Or more likely Orlandites who eat dust flakes for breakfast.

So do I believe a 100% PR Crafted financial report where they said “attendance is softening and we expect that to continue into 2025”?

(Not to mention my own eyes and experience)

Or some ex CPs living in BVL?

Tough call

Last edited:

The Leader of the Club

I have no doubt that they would do something like this. TWDC under Iger and his IP mandate has proven that anything not attached to one of its non-park media properties is at their mercy. I’ve said this multiple times, nothing at these parks is safe if it isn’t based on a movie or TV show. These parks will look very, very different in 10-15 years…
That’s not true. Things that are at “Iger’s Mercy” are things that aren’t performing well. Rivers of America, Dinoland, Universe of Energy, Great Movie Ride, Maelstrom…none of these were popular when they were announced to be going away. Splash is the exception and there are a whole host of other reasons why THAT happened.

On that note, original IPs still get investment. The Country Bears got a brand new show. Haunted Mansion gets updates every few years. Pirates is getting a lounge with the return of Peg-Leg Pete. Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth are regularly seeing old effects return.

There is no way that anyone at TWDC would think about removing something that sells as much merch as Figment unless the replacement could pick up that slack in some way. I love the Muppets, but they aren’t making Figment money. It’s more likely that Muppets become secondary festival mascots.

Disstevefan1

That’s not true. Things that are at “Iger’s Mercy” are things that aren’t performing well. Rivers of America, Dinoland, Universe of Energy, Great Movie Ride, Maelstrom…none of these were popular when they were announced to be going away. Splash is the exception and there are a whole host of other reasons why THAT happened.

On that note, original IPs still get investment. The Country Bears got a brand new show. Haunted Mansion gets updates every few years. Pirates is getting a lounge with the return of Peg-Leg Pete. Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth are regularly seeing old effects return.

There is no way that anyone at TWDC would think about removing something that sells as much merch as Figment unless the replacement could pick up that slack in some way. I love the Muppets, but they aren’t making Figment money. It’s more likely that Muppets become secondary festival mascots.
IgerHire.jpg

Marc Davis Fan

I believe a main issue with IPs (in non-IP lands) is that they make the parks as a whole less immersive.

A transportive land with one well-integrated IP (e.g., DL’s Adventureland) works great, but if every store, eatery, and attraction there were tied to an IP, it would no longer feel like you’re transported to another time/place, it would remind you that you’re in a theme park in ways that make the holistic experience much less powerful.

So in the short run, it’s “what guests want,” but in the long term, what made people fall in love with Disney parks is being chipped away at.

While Universal continues to get better, its parks as a whole don’t have the emotional power that the Disney parks had (and sometimes still have) when in their best form.

For Disney, one solution (for lands that are not themselves IP-based) might be if the e-tickets that aim to draw people to the park have IPs (and are well-integrated like IJA at DL), while the supporting attractions and surrounding environment remain IP-free. This would allow Disney to get most of the benefits of the IP appeal while retaining most of the emotional appeal that’s so important for the longer term.

DisneyRoy

I never doubt data science and that is what you do…but there is a lot of fan misconception on crowds in the current genie world

For example: today Disney parks released their after house announcement on face book and the reactions were “thank god, the parks are MOBBED”

Now those count be bots from TWDC…

Or more likely Orlandites who eat dust flakes for breakfast.

So do I believe a 100% PR Crafted financial report where they said “attendance is softening and we expect that to continue into 2025”?

(Not to mention my own eyes and experience)

Or some ex CPs living in BVL?

Tough call
I've been wondering this lately. Maybe it is a fast pass effect. More people are buying and using fast passes meaning less guests are in line. And more guests are in the walkways making it seem busier? Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws here.

Tha Realest

What if the announcement is that Muppet*Vision is closing to make way for Monstropolis, but the Muppets are taking over the Imagination pavilion and pushing Figment to be nothing more than a Festival host?
I don’t think the fans would respond well to losing Jim Henson’s last creation and replacing it with the folks that gave us Imagination 2.0, 3.0, and an overall disastrous stewardship of the Muppets property.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I believe a main issue with IPs (in non-IP lands) is that they make the parks as a whole less immersive.

A transportive land with one well-integrated IP (e.g., DL’s Adventureland) works great, but if every store, eatery, and attraction there were tied to an IP, it would no longer feel like you’re transported to another time/place, it would remind you that you’re in a theme park in ways that make the holistic experience much less powerful.

So in the short run, it’s “what guests want,” but in the long term, what made people fall in love with Disney parks is being chipped away at.

While Universal continues to get better, its parks as a whole don’t have the emotional power that the Disney parks had (and sometimes still have) when in their best form.

For Disney, one solution (for lands that are not themselves IP-based) might be if the e-tickets that aim to draw people to the park have IPs (and are well-integrated like IJA at DL), while the supporting attractions and surrounding environment remain IP-free. This would allow Disney to get most of the benefits of the IP appeal while retaining most of the emotional appeal that’s so important for the longer term.
I think this is right. I first experienced Disney as an adult, at Animal Kingdom. I immediately fell in love, thanks in large part to how immersive everything was. If the park had just been a collection of movie mini lands and single IP rides, I may well have dismissed the whole thing as a more elaborate Six Flags.

Surferboy567

There is a figment movie coming?????!!!????
There have been hints, rumors and little droplets of *maybe* about this. Disney has not in any official capacity confirmed a Figment film, I wouldn't hold my breath. He is a merchandise driver and has a cult following, but he can't drive a feature film to the theaters. Maybe a D+ special?
A little old story but this is what we know. Rogen I think has made a few comments since though I could be wrong on that.

Moth

There have been hints, rumors and little droplets of *maybe* about this. Disney has not in any official capacity confirmed a Figment film, I wouldn't hold my breath. He is a merchandise driver and has a cult following, but he can't drive a feature film to the theaters. Maybe a D+ special?
If SEA and Swiss Robinson recently got canned, don't hold your breath here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom