News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Some of the possible reasons they haven’t announced it yet:

1. Disney hasn’t made up their mind.
2. Even though the project has been green-lit, proposal(s) are pending budget and operations approval
3. They don’t want to break our hearts yet
4. They will tie the Muppets closure with a future Muppets project
5. They don’t know what they are doing

Ice Gator

Another reason could be that they picked Animation Courtyard but they have not told the workers there yet where their offices will be relocated to, possibly they don’t even know yet for sure. It would be common courtesy to tell the workers first even if is earlier the same day of an announcement.
Wasn’t there an employee on Twitter who let it slip that he was relocated out of those offices a few months ago? Obviously that wouldn’t signify much but considering he was responding to the Monsters Inc discussion, I think it’s safe to say that they’ve been planning on retiring that building.

Honestly I’m not worried for Muppets in the slightest- after seeing the most recent concept and the model at D23, I can’t think of any way to fit Monsters into that space. It’d be foolish to remove both Muppets and potentially Star Tours for one attraction- Animation Courtyard/Launch Bay has that grand open space in front of it and I feel like Disney Junior could easily be turned into the restaurant/rest of Monsters land.

It’d also potentially provide a direct link to Toy Story Land and Lightning McQueen Racing Academy- all the Pixar properties on that side of the park.

lazyboy97o

2. Even though the project has been green-lit, proposal(s) are pending budget and operations approval
Doing Number 1 would be incredibly irresponsible because it impacts things like budget and operations, which should be known and reviewed as part of Number 2, getting the green light.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Sure it’s easier to close Muppets logistically but that involves closing 2 restaurants and one of the few attractions in the park without a height restriction that is relatively cheap to maintain and operate. Not to mention it’s on lightning lane, kinda useless reservation but it’s still there to pad the capacity available. Reducing capacity (even if it’s only temporary for a year or 3) in a park that desperately needs more seems like a bad business decision. I’m not saying Disney won’t do it, but if one of the main reasons why ends up being some people don’t feel like moving their office that just doesn’t add up.
In terms of revenue generation from merch and food/bev, the muppets area underperforms. That’s all the reason the bean counters need. If anything they’re likely operating at a loss.

Less capacity means more LL sales.

They don’t think about the guest experience.

James Alucobond

Sure it’s easier to close Muppets logistically but that involves closing 2 restaurants and one of the few attractions in the park without a height restriction that is relatively cheap to maintain and operate.
On the restaurant front, one assumes Monsters will have at least one. If they do a QS Harryhausen's and kill Mama Melrose's for attraction space, they could always offset that by finally opening the promised TS restaurant in Galaxy's Edge.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the restaurant front, one assumes Monsters will have at least one. If they do a QS Harryhausen's and kill Mama Melrose's for attraction space, they could always offset that by finally opening the promised TS restaurant in Galaxy's Edge.
Yeah, that seems like a logical plan if Monsters goes to MC. Likely a QS plus the door coaster and some shopping with a meet and greet area.

My comment was more on the temporary basis of the lost revenue from closing 2 restaurants for 3-4 years vs the one time cost to relocate some office workers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would expect a Harryhausens restaurant to be a table service. Especially if it replaces Mama Melrose
Would they keep Mama Melrose instead of PizzaRizzo? In the concept art that looks like Grand Ave and Muppets area the location of the restaurant doesn’t seem to fit either but I can’t see them knocking down both and rebuilding.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I highly doubt there ever was a timeline for an interim announcement nor will there be one.

Y'all can keep asking for one, or asking when there will be one, or guessing when there will be one. And this thread will be nothing but speculation about when a possible announcement of where Monstropolis will go in DHS.

But this thread will not provide answers until someone really in the know -- and not a clerk at World of Disney -- says so.

And that won't happen until Disney makes a definite commitment to one or the other. Which has no timeline.

doctornick

Would they keep Mama Melrose instead of PizzaRizzo? In the concept art that looks like Grand Ave and Muppets area the location of the restaurant doesn’t seem to fit either but I can’t see them knocking down both and rebuilding.
If it goes in that area, I would assume that Pizzarizzo is converted to a Monsters themed QS and Mana Melrose is torn down but a replacement TS of Harryhausens is build to replace it.

But hopefully that area just remains untouched by this and Monsters Inc goes in AC.

Disstevefan1

So I’ve unfortunately have read a lot of your posts.

My question is simple. Why do you waste your time here for a company you clearly hate. It’s almost like your goal is to spoil everyone’s enthusiasm. Maybe it’s time to move on. You don’t add to a conversation. You spin everything into the sky is falling.

I get not being a pixie duster but you are the exact opposite, like a harbinger of doom.
Thanks for your interest in my posts (and it me personally?).

I am glad someone reads my posts anyway.

Hate is a strong word and is the incorrect word. I am a HUGE Disney fan. My family has spent FAR TOO MUCH money on all things Disney and continues to.

Every wall, shelf, flat surface in my home has some sort of Disney. My guest bathroom is Haunted Mansion themed, my main bathroom is Pirates of the Caribbean themed. My office is wall to wall Disney stuff. I could go on.

Its funny on my last visit to EPCOT, I had to have a cool EPCOT Magic Band Plus!! I saw a very cool one with a EPCOT logo on the face of it and grabbed it and $42 dollars later I was the owner of my Magic Band +. When I got home I realized it was a Harmonious band, LOL. I still like it.

I am a huge Disney fan and my passion is why I have strong opinions when I do not like something. If I did not care about WDW, nothing TWDC did or did not do would not bother me.

At the same time, when I like something, I say it too.

I was so happy they ADDED TRON to MK!!!!!!! It was a dream come true for me as WDW is my home resort and I knew I would never go to China! There are folks who think adding TRON was a mistake?? I don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

I am still mad at how Disney destroyed the people mover at DLR and its not my park and I will never visit it.

Horizons was my favorite attraction and I am sad its gone, but I truly like Mission Space and there are many haters of Mission Space, again I don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

If you read my posts, you know I miss the Osborne lights 😭 I would have paid the price of a hard ticket event to see that every year.

I loved the ride system Universe of Energy had (and I would have kept it) , but Guardians looks great but I have not been on it yet.

I enjoyed Maelstrom and I ALWAYS WATCHED the movie at the end, but I like Frozen too.

I think right now, my gripe is even though WDW has the "Blessing of size" Disney feels the need to "destroy and replace" at the same time DLR is EXPANDING!!!!!

Folks who think the "destroy and replace" Disney is doing at WDW instead of EXPANDING is OK, I just don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

Thanks for listening.

Ripken10

Some of the possible reasons they haven’t announced it yet:

3. They don’t want to break our hearts yet
4. They will tie the Muppets closure with a future Muppets project
Still believe what some insiders hinted at:
4a - hop issues of changing due to a potential movement result has put their plans in slow motion for the time being

And I still believe the plan they they want monsters as a mini land which fits better in one spot over the other because it gives them more options for future. Putting it in animation area I believe will NOT increase the budget of the area (unless they make cuts to one of the other projects) and therefore could hurt future expansion potential. Furthermore, all this may be doing is pushing the end date by a few years for muppetvision. I enjoy muppetvision, but would prefer the vision where they look to the future rather than a vision where they save an attraction from retirement by only a few years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If it goes in that area, I would assume that Pizzarizzo is converted to a Monsters themed QS and Mana Melrose is torn down but a replacement TS of Harryhausens is build to replace it.

But hopefully that area just remains untouched by this and Monsters Inc goes in AC.
My thought was they would need the mama melrose space but could keep PizzaRizzo since it’s “off to the side” and next to the large bathroom area. They might share a kitchen, not sure on that. They could convert to a TS but I was thinking it stays QS and just has the Harryhausens theme added. Then the doors coaster and retail space plus courtyard cover where Muppetvision, large store and Mama Melrose are now. Maybe they could expand back into parking if needed.

Schmidt

Hate is a strong word and is the incorrect word. I am a HUGE Disney fan. My family has spent FAR TOO MUCH money on all things Disney and continues to.

Every wall, shelf, flat surface in my home has some sort of Disney. My guest bathroom is Haunted Mansion themed, my main bathroom is Pirates of the Caribbean themed. My office is wall to wall Disney stuff. I could go on.

Its funny on my last visit to EPCOT, I had to have a cool EPCOT Magic Band Plus!! I saw a very cool one with a EPCOT logo on the face of it and grabbed it and $42 dollars later I was the owner of my Magic Band +. When I got home I realized it was a Harmonious band, LOL. I still like it.

I am a huge Disney fan and my passion is why I have strong opinions when I do not like something. If I did not care about WDW, nothing TWDC did or did not do would not bother me.

I was so happy they ADDED TRON to MK!!!!!!! It was a dream come true for me as WDW is my home resort and I knew I would never go to China! There are folks who think adding TRON was a mistake?? I don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

I am still mad at how Disney destroyed the people mover at DLR and its not my park and I will never visit it.

Horizons was my favorite attractions and I am sad its gone, but I truly like Mission Space and there are many haters of Mission Space, again I don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

If you read my posts, you know I miss the Osborne lights 😭 I would have paid the price of a hard ticket event to see that every year.

I loved the ride system Universe of Energy had (and I would have kept it) , but Guardians looks great but I have not been on it yet.

I enjoyed Maelstrom and I ALWAYS WATCHED the movie at the end, but I like Frozen too.

I think right now, my gripe is even though WDW has the "Blessing of size" Disney feels the need to "destroy and replace" at the same time DLR is EXPANDING!!!!!

Folks who think the "destroy and replace" Disney is doing at WDW instead of EXPANDING is OK, I just don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

Horizons was my favorite attraction and I am sad its gone, but I truly like Mission Space and there are many haters of Mission Space, again I don't get it but folks are free to think what they think.

Thanks for listening.
I like this. Fair points! I get it. Disney does upset me too. Quite a bit actually but more for the way they are raking people over the coals these days. Just back from Disney, a moderate sit down dinner for 4 shouldn’t cost 400-500. That’s absurd.

Anyway didn’t mean to take it personal.
Like you I give it to Disney when they deserve it but as a whole I feel like D23 was a Grand Slam. Now will they deliver? We will see but I’m going to hold onto my optimism for now.

Disstevefan1

I like this. Fair points! I get it. Disney does upset me too. Quite a bit actually but more for the way they are raking people over the coals these days. Just back from Disney, a moderate sit down dinner for 4 shouldn’t cost 400-500. That’s absurd.

Anyway didn’t mean to take it personal.
Like you I give it to Disney when they deserve it but as a whole I feel like D23 was a Grand Slam. Now will they deliver? We will see but I’m going to hold onto my optimism for now.
The prices are nuts and I admit we still pay them too. My kid and I went to Tiffons in AK a few weeks ago and yes paid way too much for what we got for sure. The best part was the wonderful, glorious, AC!!

I am not feeling good about their decisions about replacing instead of expanding on new undeveloped land, but as I have said many times, Disney will do what Disney will do and nothing we say here will change it. For me, these boards are good therapy 😀

Who knows, maybe it will be great! I will show up in any event 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom