News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We're intentionally getting conflicting information because there's obviously two high-level employee/executive factions still internally fighting over this. One wants in MC, one wants in AC. They are fighting for many different reasons such as costs, having to move office locations, future expansion ideas in the two plots, even wanting to just preserve Muppetvision. If the location was known they would have announced this with the Monsters blog post a few days after D23 like they did with Cars.

News and "leaks" are meant to conflict with each other because each side wants to get over the other. The articles and social media campaign to save MV was very planned and got the backlash they wanted, with connections to influencers and even journalists to set it up up to a month before D23. That response might save MV, but at the very least will ensure Muppets will have some attraction going forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if it still isn't decided, there's no indication it is. Whoever is supporting MV is going to fight for it until the very end too, as I think they have since they first planned it there. So really, we can't know anything about this until it comes from the mouse's mouth. Which can be tomorrow, or months from now, who really knows.

It really doesn’t work that way. It will be placed for the most advantageous spot and also to maximize the overhead costs long term.

The “factions” are only kids playing in the sandbox…dad will tell them to pipe
Down

TimeDuck

Is the office space really an issue that could sway a decision? I would hope not. Is there anyone important enough in those offices that could actually influence the decision? I get that there are costs associated with relocating offices but they are dropping billions on theme parks so that cost cannot be anything more than a rounding error.

If this response proves Muppets is still popular, instead of replacing Muppets Courtyard and cramming the Muppets somewhere else in the parks why not keep Muppet Vision and add a new ride and/or play area for kids to go from a mini-land to a full blown land. Splash area, slides, interactive houses maybe even a simple dark ride or some form of flat ride(s). We all know the park needs more for kids without height restrictions.
Definitely a factor, you're destroying office space that costs money and will have to relocate all those employees.

People are under the misconception that DHS and WDW are working with blank checkbooks. This isn't the case at all, the money is very finite. WDW has been alotted a budget, and DHS has a certain amount of that budget, and Monsters Courtyard has a piece of that budget. And they've "hired" WDI to help spend it. So no matter what, if you're spending money on one thing its going to come out of somewhere.

The money they could/would save by not razing office buildings to place it in Muppets Courtyard would absolutely give us a "better" land. And likewise the money they could/would spend to place it in Animation Courtyard will surely come out of a different part of the land.

They're not all just sitting around trying to decide if they should make everyone miserable or not to save a relative $10

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It really doesn’t work that way. It will be placed for the most advantageous spot and also to maximize the overhead costs long term.

Down
I've always found it funny when Disney tries to do stupid, lazy, and unpopular things to try to save a couple of pennies in development, and then still vastly overspends budgets by millions without worry.

bwr827

Down
Not so — the truth is Disney head office is the Sharks vs. the Jets.

It’s been nearly two weeks of finger-snapping dance fights ever since D23.

Or, you know, it’s just a hierarchical organization with clear decision rights.

monothingie

Premium Member
Don't forget about all the extra bonuses that go around for such a job well done!
So you're telling me when they parade around on stage at PR events with retro EPCOT Center T-Shirts that it's all fake and designed to appeal to low-information pixie dusters who would happily wait on line for 3 hours to buy a $60 plastic popcorn bucket?

lazyboy97o

Definitely a factor, you're destroying office space that costs money and will have to relocate all those employees.

People are under the misconception that DHS and WDW are working with blank checkbooks. This isn't the case at all, the money is very finite. WDW has been alotted a budget, and DHS has a certain amount of that budget, and Monsters Courtyard has a piece of that budget. And they've "hired" WDI to help spend it. So no matter what, if you're spending money on one thing its going to come out of somewhere.

The money they could/would save by not razing office buildings to place it in Muppets Courtyard would absolutely give us a "better" land. And likewise the money they could/would spend to place it in Animation Courtyard will surely come out of a different part of the land.

They're not all just sitting around trying to decide if they should make everyone miserable or not to save a relative $10
It’s also possible that the park makes money on the animation building. The business units that aren’t directly related to the park are probably paying to use that space.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

From what the insiders here have shared MI land will potentially be more extensive at AC than at MC. It was posted a while back that if they go with AC there is enough room for a show too but not so with muppets. I understand that they don’t have unlimited budgets but office space is relatively cheap compared to building customer facing attractions and I can’t imagine the higher up people making this call would care one bit about telling workers they need to move their desks. That happens all the time with corporations. I really can’t imagine the office move would be a large factor. If they go with Muppets to save some money it will probably be to build a smaller land not to save money on office space.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s also possible that the park makes money on the animation building. The business units that aren’t directly related to the park are probably paying to use that space.
That makes a lot more sense as a reason, but wouldn’t the call for this type of decision be higher up the food chain? Someone running DHS may want to preserve that revenue stream for the park P&L but it’s internal revenue so net zero for TWDC. If they allow the decision to be made at the lower level there could be a lot more incentive to pick Muppets.

monothingie

Premium Member
From what the insiders here have shared MI land will potentially be more extensive at AC than at MC. It was posted a while back that if they go with AC there is enough room for a show too but not so with muppets. I understand that they don’t have unlimited budgets but office space is relatively cheap compared to building customer facing attractions and I can’t imagine the higher up people making this call would care one bit about telling workers they need to move their desks. That happens all the time with corporations. I really can’t imagine the office move would be a large factor. If they go with Muppets to save some money it will probably be to build a smaller land not to save money on office space.
It's not that simple.

They can shut Muppets Today and start demolition tomorrow.

Assuming that the AC Office Building is important to operations, they have to find or build a suitable replacement location, then start moving people and equipment without disruption to operations. This takes time. It is also something that likely would have started happening already if AC was the location for MI because it is not guest facing.

Bocabear

may I present the empty and ready for development Galactic Starcruiser Office Park... 100 deluxe offices each with private bath await...Corporate cafeteria in place...Plenty of room for additional buildings...and would permanently move the office space out of the footprint of the park allowing for more and future development...

CJR

"Disney never adds anything new." -John, the park guest

"We'll add a Monster's Inc ride in place of The Muppets." - Josh D'Amaro

"No, not The Muppets! It's a timeless show and a favorite of ours. Disney never ADDS anything new!" - John, the park guest

"We're adding a Monster's Inc ride, why are you upset?" - Josh D'Amaro

If they announced this at D23, I would have loved to see a Naked Gun style face palm moment.

Disstevefan1

"Disney never adds anything new." -John, the park guest

"We'll add a Monster's Inc ride in place of The Muppets." - Josh D'Amaro

"No, not The Muppets! It's a timeless show and a favorite of ours. Disney never ADDS anything new!" - John, the park guest

"We're adding a Monster's Inc ride, why are you upset?" - Josh D'Amaro

If they announced this at D23, I would have loved to see a Naked Gun style face palm moment.
So true.

If Disney used NEW UNDEVELOPED LAND or even unused areas (like the launch bay) folks would love this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom