News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sneaky

Even if they are backing out of it, they’d have to announce by next week as that starts the beginning of September. They also probably need to file permits soon.
Just listened to the part:
They recorded it on friday the 16th
It was gonna be released on this friday, after the markets closed
They are apparently backing away from it now
Thats what he said and how he worded it

Bugsy

I still wonder who likes tthe Muppets over losing rivers of America. The muppets movie is so old. rebuild it or give me a better than the 1990s 3D movie. Take it down for Monsters, please!

erasure fan1

So Muppets as a franchise is probably niche at this point.
I wouldn't say probably, I'd say it is.
Disney absolutely invests in franchises that sell merchandise and movie tickets. They also have the Disney+ streaming data. The Muppets are not a driver of any of this.
Are we really sure? The Muppet store has been all but shuttered for a decade before it closed for covid. 90% of what Disney has produced has not been good, to be kind. The one show that was received really really well, won awards, had a number album, that was a great relaunch jumping off point, they cancelled. So for me, it's a bit hard to say I agree when Disney has handled the IP so poorly.

Surferboy567

I still wonder who likes tthe Muppets over losing rivers of America. The muppets movie is so old. rebuild it or give me a better than the 1990s 3D movie. Take it down for Monsters, please!
This is gonna sound blasphemous but I’m going to say it anyways.

I don’t mind losing rivers of America and TSL as much as Muppets. TSL I never really cared about but understand the historical significance so I’m ok with that going. Rivers I’m less ok with losing but I still think a cars land in theory could be fantastic. RSR is one of the best rides Disney has created that’s my opinion.

As for Muppets, yeah it’s old but the Muppets have always had a special place in the hearts of Disney fans. Mainly because the muppets have been underutilized for so many years. It‘s great for them to have a “permanent“ spot in the parks and has become a fan favorite. Like I said above, I understand why they’d target the muppets for removal but I don’t want it to happen. I am pretty excited though for Monsters, I truly believe it’s a slam dunk idea.

Hoping they put it in AC so Muppets doesn’t need to close. Studios also cannot afford to close another attraction. Monsters would in theory be bigger in AC as well.

Surferboy567

Are we really sure? The Muppet store has been all but shuttered for a decade before it closed for covid. 90% of what Disney has produced has not been good, to be kind. The one show that was received really really well, won awards, had a number album, that was a great relaunch jumping off point, they cancelled. So for me, it's a bit hard to say I agree when Disney has handled the IP so poorly.
I liked Muppets Haunted Mansion (come to think of it I watch it every Halloween now since it‘s release), but to be fair Disney doesn’t really try and do anything substantial with the muppets since the movies (which for what’s its worth I largely enjoyed most wanted has some weird stuff in it but was enjoyable). The first muppets project under Disney with Jason Segel is borderline a classic in my house. It’s quoted all the time, and man or muppet is a favorite song.

Muppets Now though is TERRIBLE.

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

I'd rather keep the River and Island than Muppets. But I also don't see a great reason why we should have to lose either to grow the parks. They can both stay and there's still plenty of space to expand.
I do wonder why they don't open the store. I have to imagine that would help sales of Muppets merchandise.

RSoxNo1

I think you're agreeing with me. In short, I don't think Disney views The Muppets as a franchise worth investing in. In fairness, I think they've given them a fair shake, even produced some solid content and people didn't really care.

With that said, I think Muppet fans would be more than willing to accept a new attraction elsewhere on property. Some possible candidates:
  • Sounds Dangerous Theater
  • DHS Cars Theater
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Muppets seasonal overlay on Haunted Mansion?

Sneaky

I think you're agreeing with me. In short, I don't think Disney views The Muppets as a franchise worth investing in. In fairness, I think they've given them a fair shake, even produced some solid content and people didn't really care.

With that said, I think Muppet fans would be more than willing to accept a new show elsewhere on property.
I agree, but I don’t think the muppets are permanently broken. Maybe, unfortunately, they need to go to sleep for a little while, and then come back with a new creative head or team with a new vision when the muppets are ready again.

Surferboy567

Why did you choose violence today?
That’s always been my stance, I mean no violence toward anyone. I’ve never liked TSL and don’t lament its loss.

I respect everyone’s opinion toward the area though. I was upset when a bunch of recent attractions closed so I definitely understand what it’s like to lose fond areas of the park.

Surferboy567

I think you're agreeing with me. In short, I don't think Disney views The Muppets as a franchise worth investing in.
As much as I hate to agree with you, I do in this case. That is kinda why I have made peace with the fact that Muppets may be removed. Like I said though, I don’t want that to happen.
I agree, but I don’t think the muppets are permanently broken.
I also agree with this perspective.
  • Muppets seasonal overlay on Haunted Mansion?

I’d like that. Your idea brought me back to this video someone made a while ago. It’s rough but it gets the idea across.

Last edited:

Purduevian

I'd rather keep the River and Island than Muppets. But I also don't see a great reason why we should have to lose either to grow the parks. They can both stay and there's still plenty of space to expand.
Playing devil's advocate here...

Staffing has to be a pretty large reason here. The Orlando market is pretty much tight on available workers for theme parks. Now add in that a new theme park is opening next year.

bwr827

I’d keep the Muppets over TSI, but would retain at least some of the river if possible while seeing the Muppets go.

doctornick

In terms of how it affects guest experiences at their respective parks, I think losing MuppetVision is worse than the RoA just because of the limited options of attractions at DHS.

Losing the RoA and Liberty Belle hurts a lot from a theming prospective but you can still have plenty of other stuff to do at that park without them.

Disstevefan1

The big lie that Disney spins is this stuff as expansion when its actually "destroy and replace".

Folks who defend Disney, say destroying Muppets is an "increase in capacity" as more folks will go in the Monsters ride than attended Muppets.

By my math, if they kept Muppets AND ADDED Monsters in an unused area, THAT is an expansion and would literally increase capacity as you have folks still enjoying Muppets AND folks going on Monsters.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom