News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

WorldExplorer

My other concern is that the architecture shown in the Monsters land concept art simply doesn’t look interesting—most of the neighborhood section just looks like generic human-world buildings.

Monsters, Inc. is a very good movie, but if I had to pick films where I would like to have a whole land themed to them it would absolutely not make the list. It was a normal place with some fun details. It's amusing for a queue to a ride, but a whole land? If you're going to try and replicate a movie setting, go for something more out there.

Especially if there are rumors they also want to do Zootopia; even if you like the idea, that's pretty much the same thing, except in Zootopia the little fake door is for a hamster instead of a small monster.

It comes across like they just picked whatever would be the easiest thing to pull off.

Last edited:

splah

That seems like a losing scenario. Monsters would be super small then right? Sure, we keep muppets but seems to be a hefty cost.
i wish mini lands would glow away.

I don't think there is anything wrong with just building the door coaster inside the factory and saying here it is. Not every new addition needs it's own land. You can build up the placesetting in the queue.

if they went back to broad ideas, frontier, tomorrow, fantasy, adventure, that gives you the freedom to drop a bunch of stuff close together without having to devote so much space to non-attraction ip based placesetting

zootopia, hard pass, i didn't enjoy the move or the look of the new land, it seems very matte and plastic looking. both were trying too hard

Cars, radiator springs is awesome. but our cars will just be wilderness, which i love national parks, but don't call it a cars land. go ahead kill off frontierland and make it wilderness land

villians will be what i'm describing where there are hints of different properties throughout the general land.

GravityFalls

The best version of this land would have interactive set pieces activated by magic bands similar to Harry Potter and Mario at Universal. That way the land becomes a sort of secondary attraction. A good example of this would be "Ride and Go Seek" at Tokyo Disney, it's a ride (obviously) and not a whole land, but it shows how you can pull off that interactivity within the world of Monsters Inc.

djlaosc

I personally would rather see this be a phase 1 of a multi-phase Fantasy Springs type expansion with a dash of (a better done) Pixar Pier. I actually don't hate the Zootopia idea as much as most. And, I am not against the multi-IP land if done well. Monsters Inc., Zootopia and Incredibles could all easily be city-scape based, adding some level of continuity. And, I think that would be a compelling replacement behind Animation Court. Again, you could easily start with Monsters and build from there. It would even give a little conceptual throw back to the Streets of America area of the park.

Not saying it would happen. Rather something like that would make far more sense to me than cramming it into Grand Avenue.
Streets of Animation (SoA)

Rockishcoco

Grain of salt here but I work at the Springs and had a family visit my store this morning who mentioned something interesting to me. The father was discussing how his daughter (a Disney employee) was starting work from home because her office was being shutdown. I asked and he did say she was behind Rock N Roller Coaster at Hollywood. So add that onto the tweet from a couple days ago for whatever its worth.

999th Happy Haunt

While Zootopia is being considered now, maybe Imagineers will get an idea for some other land they will want to do instead. Still hoping that we get some sort of Disney Animation area proper.
1724156562518.gif

doctornick

Just my opinion, but if they were serious about a larger expansion, they could have done it instead of Monster's.

If it's Zootopia, for example, it's already a popular IP with a sequel on the way. Nothing is prohibiting them from doing that right now.

Except money, but that was a problem five years ago and will still be a problem five years from today.

It's entirely conceivable that they are are going smaller at DHS right now while they do bigger and more costly projects at DAK and MK. And then they might spend a greater amount at DHS later in the next decade once they aren't spending as much in a fiscal year at other parks.

I'm not saying that Zootopia is definitely coming or that DHS will see some ridiculous builds in 2030 or later, but the way they have framed the park investment it would make sense if that is being planned that way at the moment (but plans can change).

Quietmouse

It's entirely conceivable that they are are going smaller at DHS right now while they do bigger and more costly projects at DAK and MK. And then they might spend a greater amount at DHS later in the next decade once they aren't spending as much in a fiscal year at other parks.

I'm not saying that Zootopia is definitely coming or that DHS will see some ridiculous builds in 2030 or later, but the way they have framed the park investment it would make sense if that is being planned that way at the moment (but plans can change).

I would also argue aside from those points, monster inc is still a pretty popular ip.

My daughter watched monster inc for the first time months ago and is obsessed. She turns on Disney plus every morning and watches the movie.

So I think that ip could really be entering classic territory alongside Toy Story.

Surferboy567

What do you think they’ll say? It could go either way, but with the evacuation of the offices and such
Honestly, I think I’m 55/45, in favor of AC. Which as some remember only a few days ago I was 60/40 in favor of AC. The reporting is so neck and neck I really don’t know where it’s gonna go anymore.

To be honest though, if it’s muppets I’ve kind of begrudgingly made peace with it. I’ll miss the muppets and I really hope it goes in AC but if it doesn’t I’m still going to be excited for Monstropolis it’s an attraction I’ve wanted for so long. The land has to be done right though. I’m a huge muppets fan and they need to be given a place in WDW, I’m not sure what that looks like but something. To be really honest and fair to Disney, if they are going to close something in Studios I understand why they would choose Muppets. I’m not saying I want it to happen, but I understand why. It really is a matter of time before something closes it. In terms of the space it takes up in the park it’s prime real estate in between a giant draw of the park (Galaxy’s Edge) and a decently popular simulator ride of the same theme. These discussions are going to happen anyways until that day comes.

On the other hand, we have some pretty compelling evidence for AC beyond insider reports. That’s why I still think it might go there. We have heard that something is going on with those offices, it lines up way too nicely with the D23 announcements so I believe something has to be going on there. Where there is smoke there is fire they say.

One of the chief reasons I hope it’s AC to be honest is because I want the land to be bigger. That space enables that to happen. AC is also not a heavily trafficked part of the park no one goes though and it feels like it’s been stuck in time for the better part of 10-15 years. It also doesn't feature a favorite attraction that I’d be sad to see go.

EDIT: Another thing I guess in favor of it going in Muppets. The amount of time they are waiting to announce this is suspicious. They could just have not made up a decision yet, but I feel like if it was going to go in AC they would have just said it. I don’t think many people are gonna care if it replaces Launch Bay, Disney Jr, possibly Mermaid. Muppets fan would take a collective sigh of relief. The fact that they haven’t announced it yet worries me a little bit. On the other hand though, leaving the announcement for Friday on the anniversary announcing they are gonna close Muppets doesn’t seem right either.

I just hope they make the right choice and put this in AC.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

By the way where did everyone hear this Friday rumor? Is it purely because of the anniversary?

EDIT: The rivers of America closure was announced the Monday after the panel. Anyone remember what time they announced it?

Sneaky

By the way where did everyone hear this Friday rumor? Is it purely because of the anniversary?

EDIT: The rivers of America closure was announced the Monday after the panel. Anyone remember what time they announced it?
Jim hills podcast
And it was at 9:00 on Monday

ednamodedarling

Is it possible that both can be true? Maybe the office is being torn down to make room for a second expansion pad. All the while Monsters is already under construction on the other side of the park. This would mean they could build twice as fast in the AC plot if an expansion were announced for that area in 2026.

Purduevian

I will preface this by saying that I was told by two different sources that this is replacing Muppets. With that said, if the coaster is the primary attraction with no secondary attraction, is it unreasonable to shift the Muppets entrance to Grand Avenue, have the brick facade integrated into Monstropolis and satisfy both things?
I think the exit is a lot more challenging. The entrance only needs to move/be extended like a dozen feet to get to Grand ave main street. However, the exit dumping you into monstroplois would be jarring. There might be room between MV3D and RoTR to make an exit path loop back up. However, if you make an exit bath between MV3D and Monstropolis you now loose sqft for the new land and have to build some sort of blocking structure.

The other answer is to just say screw it and dump people into Monstropolis just like One man's dream dumps people into animation courtyard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom