News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

haveyoumetmark

I would much prefer AC and adjacent backstage areas to be earmarked and used for a larger, true expansion of the park’s borders that also helps with guest flow and navigation by making a connection with Sunset BLVD.

If the shortsighted decision is to use AC for this relatively small and compact Monsters project, thereby wasting this prime expansion plot, to save muppets for a few more years, that would be very unfortunate.

Fox&Hound

I would much prefer AC and adjacent backstage areas to be earmarked and used for a larger, true expansion of the park’s borders that also helps with guest flow and navigation by making a connection with Sunset BLVD.

If the shortsighted decision is to use AC for this relatively small and compact Monsters project, thereby wasting this prime expansion plot, to save muppets for a few more years, that would be very unfortunate.
As much as I love Muppets, I agree with this…

Stripes

Premium Member

There is plenty of parking space behind Muppets if they would like to proceed with a big expansion some time down the line.

James Alucobond

History has proven that it’s better to just use dead space at WDW than to wait for the promise of something a bit better 15 years from now. There is plenty of room elsewhere at this park to expand if they somehow box themselves out of further AC expansion (and they might not want to expand more here anyway since the buildings that aren’t Feature Animation are more critical to the function of the park and would have to be relocated nearby).

Surferboy567

Long post alert:

Beyond replacement speculation, I think it would be wise to shift the discussion toward this land being “compact”.

Monsters Inc is a property that really lends itself well to a proper theme park land. It’s got a huge world that I’d venture to guess people would be interested in exploring. I’ve wanted this door coaster for years as I believe a good chunk of everyone here does. I just don’t want it “half” done Monstropolis should be a decently sized land. The factory should be relatively big even bigger then the one in ride and go seek. That queue only features the main entrance of the factory. I’d like if the queue line for the door coaster would have us enter the factory walk though that same main entrance that ride and go seek has but then the queue line can continue though various rooms and facilities of Monsters Inc. The queue could then end when we enter the laugh floor which is one giant boarding station. From there we are raised into the door vault where the ride takes place.

Another thing, in the movie the door vault is a very large area. These rumors of a “compact” coaster scare me (pun intended). I think they can do well with limited space but I’m hoping for a more expansive coaster.

The actual “land” should also have stuff going on. Harry’s in the movie doesn’t look very large more like a typical sushi restaurant size you’d expect. That seems easy enough to accomplish on tight space. A show (as rumored) would also I feel fit the land well. I’d just move over the laugh floor currently in Magic Kingdom with updated graphics and technology. You could have the queue be us entering another entrance to the factory. A quick service while not required would also be nice for the land along with some kind of store. Character meet and greets should also be implemented in the land and I have a decent amount of certainty they will with the Sully in the concept art.

Maybe you could do something with Monsters University but that’s probably out of scope. Not sure how I feel about a children’s play area taking up valuable real estate if it is as “tight” as rumors indicate.

CoasterCowboy67

My memory is hazy, but isn’t that generally how Monstropolis is supposed to be aside from a standout structure or two and some punny language?
Agreed. I thought the charm of that film is Monsters living a life quite similar to humans, and go to 9-5 jobs. I think the architecture looks 90% similar until you notice the charming monster-specific details — claws, spikes, teeth etc. I love that about the style of the film and makes it perfect for DHS. It blends but also stands out.
Not everything at DHS needs to be another planet, time, or scale.

RSoxNo1

I will preface this by saying that I was told by two different sources that this is replacing Muppets. With that said, if the coaster is the primary attraction with no secondary attraction, is it unreasonable to shift the Muppets entrance to Grand Avenue, have the brick facade integrated into Monstropolis and satisfy both things?

Surferboy567

I will preface this by saying that I was told by two different sources that this is replacing Muppets. With that said, if the coaster is the primary attraction with no secondary attraction, is it unreasonable to shift the Muppets entrance to Grand Avenue, have the brick facade integrated into Monstropolis and satisfy both things?
That seems like a losing scenario. Monsters would be super small then right? Sure, we keep muppets but seems to be a hefty cost.

CJR

I would much prefer AC and adjacent backstage areas to be earmarked and used for a larger, true expansion

Just my opinion, but if they were serious about a larger expansion, they could have done it instead of Monster's.

If it's Zootopia, for example, it's already a popular IP with a sequel on the way. Nothing is prohibiting them from doing that right now.

Except money, but that was a problem five years ago and will still be a problem five years from today.

Surferboy567

Just my opinion, but if they were serious about a larger expansion, they could have done it instead of Monster's.

If it's Zootopia, for example, it's already a popular IP with a sequel on the way. Nothing is prohibiting them from doing that right now.

Except money, but that was a problem five years ago and will still be a problem five years from today.
I rather have the door coaster over Zootopia, but wouldn’t mind both.

Epcot82Guy

I personally would rather see this be a phase 1 of a multi-phase Fantasy Springs type expansion with a dash of (a better done) Pixar Pier. I actually don't hate the Zootopia idea as much as most. And, I am not against the multi-IP land if done well. Monsters Inc., Zootopia and Incredibles could all easily be city-scape based, adding some level of continuity. And, I think that would be a compelling replacement behind Animation Court. Again, you could easily start with Monsters and build from there. It would even give a little conceptual throw back to the Streets of America area of the park.

Not saying it would happen. Rather something like that would make far more sense to me than cramming it into Grand Avenue.

HMF

I personally would rather see this be a phase 1 of a multi-phase Fantasy Springs type expansion with a dash of (a better done) Pixar Pier. I actually don't hate the Zootopia idea as much as most. And, I am not against the multi-IP land if done well. Monsters Inc., Zootopia and Incredibles could all easily be city-scape based, adding some level of continuity. And, I think that would be a compelling replacement behind Animation Court. Again, you could easily start with Monsters and build from there. It would even give a little conceptual throw back to the Streets of America area of the park.

Not saying it would happen. Rather something like that would make far more sense to me than cramming it into Grand Avenue.
I think they should have kept the Pixar Place area from when Midway Mania was new. They could shove all the Pixar they want there and it would prevent Pixar stuff from showing up in inappropriate places, and it would keep the studio pretense.

RSoxNo1

So Muppets as a franchise is probably niche at this point. Disney absolutely invests in franchises that sell merchandise and movie tickets. They also have the Disney+ streaming data. The Muppets are not a driver of any of this.

I'd love it if they said they were doing a new Muppets show elsewhere (say Great Moments in American History taking over Hall of Presidents), but Disney may have just decided it's time to move on.

Thanks phoenicians

No idea if this is the plan, but I'm wondering if we don't actually hear about a location until D23 Brazil in November. I feel like they're going to have to announce some new info and considering all of the announcements we just got I'd expect all of the Brazil announcements to just be more details on last weeks announcements

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom