News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

How many iterations of “Hey look, that stuff’s a different scale!” can one park support? There’s already Toy Story Land. Monstropolis will be another. Zootopia would be a third.

?

Wouldn't Monstropolis be the same scale as our human world? And wouldn't Zootopia largely be that way as well (there are sections that are smaller like where the shrews were but the "main" area where Judy and Nick operate seems the same scale as our world)?

Purduevian

How many iterations of “Hey look, that stuff’s a different scale!” can one park support? There’s already Toy Story Land. Monstropolis will be another. Zootopia would be a third.
I'm confused. Aren't Mike and Sulley approximately human sized (they use human doors even if Sully has to duck).

In zootopia isn't everything scaled in approximately human proportions to the main animals (except little rodentia)

James Alucobond

At least there’s an attempt at forced perspective in the latter two, no matter how successful. Toy Story Land just doesn’t even try and concedes that nothing is to scale with anything else. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fox&Hound

I'm not sure if Zootopia would be a good fit for a park with a Monsters Inc area. While the films themselves and the attractions the lands feature are vastly different, at the end of the day both are city-scape environments. It's the same sort of vibe in both areas. Disney Parks thrive when there is a juxtaposition between lands. I'm guessing it was an either/or decision between Zootopia and Monsters and the decision was to go with Monsters.
I had this same thought recently. Both are city scapes with wacky creatures living there. Very similar and Zootopia is ANOTHER trackless ride very similar to Mickey.

James Alucobond

My other concern is that the architecture shown in the Monsters land concept art simply doesn’t look interesting—most of the neighborhood section just looks like generic human-world buildings.
My memory is hazy, but isn’t that generally how Monstropolis is supposed to be aside from a standout structure or two and some punny language?

Surferboy567

I think if it was news they knew the fans were happy to hear like they are going to put it in the launch bay instead of destroying Muppets we would hear it sooner rather than later.

The longer it takes, the less likely it will be good news for the fans in my opinion.
I agree with this, it also will be telling WHEN they announce it. If they announce it at a super random time they could be trying to bury it.

tallica

Here is a recipe for Disney to regain our respect and trust over next 15 years. Not everything I would do but a good next 15. This is the money Iger says he wants to spend.

Mk
  • Leave ROA and TSI alone, at least the lower loop.
  • Leave Hall of Presidents alone, unless it’s a Muppets retheme of HOP.
  • Leave Liberty Square alone. Period!
  • Put Villains behind Haunted Mansion (that’s going to be a huge win if done right) – expand the footprint to get the size right – make it big.
  • Put Cars behind BTM, but only if its Radiator Springs & Route 66 like California.. That’s actually thematically consistent and extends BTM to the 20th century.
  • Update Indy speedway – electric cars, Tron or other future theming.
  • Get something new in the front part of Tomorrow land.
  • Fix Tiana! It doesn’t work! Create a more complete New Orleans land too. I know it’s a later time period than BTM but we are stuck with that.
Epcot
  • Lots of damage already done. Fix the broken brand new stuff. Get rid of the horrible planter.
  • Get updated Imagination pavilion – should be number 1 Epcot priority..
  • Update SSE – but carefully.
  • Hope to God Test Track 3.0 is better than 2.0.
  • Add major rides to German and Japan as originally planned.
  • Add Brazil, India, Australia (take your pick).
  • Put something in Wonders of Life.
  • Slowly improve the horrible innoventions building they added.
  • Add a fountain.
HS
  • Monsters Inc . would be great land if placed at Animation Courtyard and Launch Bay.
  • Relocate Laugh Floor from MK
  • Give this land room to walk around.
  • Leave Muppets alone other than add new 3D film. All film-based attractions should be updated every 10 years.
  • Star Wars – there is no kinetic energy. Get droids circulating. Create air traffic overhead via drones (it’s a space port!). Build the deferred restaurant. Add some John Williams
  • Forget the use of the new trilogy as the theme.
  • Don’t touch Tower!
  • Streetmosphere!
Animal Kingdom
  • They are about to make several huge mistakes that don’t work. I wouldn’t do any of it, but that boat may have sailed.
  • The incredible complex theming here is our last line of defense from poor creatives.
  • New lands should echo the amazing non-IP work in Asia and Africa.
  • The new lands should be Americas and Australia.
  • I don’t even mind Tropical Americas and Encanto if done right.
  • Indy doesn’t belong here.d
  • Add another Pandora ride.
  • Figure out a show for the lagoon (not kites!).
Also play some John Williams in GE. He is the heart and soul of SWs.

Marc Davis Fan

My memory is hazy, but isn’t that generally how Monstropolis is supposed to be aside from a standout structure or two and some punny language?
That’s what I recall, too. My thought is that’s a reason against allocating too much space to the Monsters land. It bolsters the case for it being a mini-land. Or, they could invent new standout structures that aren’t in the films but would make sense in that world.

Unrelated to the above: If it goes in the Grand Park space, might it be possible to spare MV3D by moving its entrance to Grand Ave (so you’d walk clockwise around the building to the current front door via a new indoor corridor, and current front door would be obscured by the Monsters land facades)? Or, might they consider moving MV3D to Sunset Showcase or the current Mickey Shorts Theater (recognizing that would involve reworking things and making it smaller).

Last edited:

UNCgolf

This is an argument why building a Monsters Inc. land doesn't really make any sense. Building an attraction, absolutely, but there's no reason to build a whole land themed to something that just looks like a normal city.

But that's also why it fits well into DHS, because segments of that park are already themed that way. I still don't think it needs a tremendous amount of land, though -- build the attraction, maybe a QS restaurant, and that's that.

James Alucobond

But that's also why it fits well into DHS, because segments of that park are already themed that way. I still don't think it needs a tremendous amount of land, though -- build the attraction, maybe a QS restaurant, and that's that.
I generally agree, but I’m also not going to lose sleep if by “land” they mean what you said plus a playground and a couple facades for a show displacing Disney Jr. Both of those would be net gains for the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom