News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Joel

I wish people would be honest with themselves and say Galaxy’s Edge is the Star Wars they don’t like, and just call it a day there. People really do just go onto the internet and say things.
Sorry, what I should have said is that this one droid alone makes the Star Tours queue more immersive than most of Galaxy's Edge:

I love both Rise and Smugglers, but the rest of the land just doesn't feel very alive to me. I'm not immersed in what's going on around me because -- unless some stormtroopers just happen to walk by at that particular moment -- there really isn't much going on around me. It's certainly all very pretty to look at, though.

Or maybe I've just been lying to myself this whole time. I admit that I've never considered that possibility before.

Regardless, it'll be a sad day whenever Star Tours is replaced, but it would be absolutely ridiculous for them to do it until Studios has at least a couple more attractions than it currently does.

ToTBellHop

I never imagined Disney would leave this alone long enough that we’d arrive at some version of “they might as well remove Star Tours if they’re taking MuppetVision out. And toss out Indy and the only substantial body of water in the park, too.”

We will get this park shrunk down to the size of one Epcot pavilion as originally planned in no time! Nature is healing.

JustInTime

I feel if they randomized Smuggler’s Run I’d be okay with a Star Tours retheme. It’s fun but I don’t have any attachment to the ride like I do muppets.

Sneaky

I feel if they randomized Smuggler’s Run I’d be okay with a Star Tours retheme. It’s fun but I don’t have any attachment to the ride like I do muppets.
Yeah same. I wouldn’t mind star tours staying. It’s a tony Baxter classic, and legit changed theme parks forever. IMO we don’t have a lot of modern theme park stuff with our fav characters and worlds without star tours. a goat. IMO it, muppets, and tower of terror deserve to stay as DHS’s “classics”

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Disney can use Black Panther in Florida? Wow — we need a Wakanda land asap. Expand DHS.
The rumor for years has been that Wakanda and all the side characters are fair game in Florida, but that Black Panther himself (and likely anyone using the title) is not allowed since he debuted in Fantastic Four comics

Hence why past rumors pointed to a Wakandan Technology Outreach Pavilion hosted by Shuri in World Discovery or a fake World Showcase Pavilion for Wakanda replacing the generic African outpost. Both concepts that wouldn't require Black Panther or a big E-Ticket where the lack of Black Panther would feel weird.

Admittedly was never sure how legit these rumors were though

mattpeto

The rumor for years has been that Wakanda and all the side characters are fair game in Florida, but that Black Panther himself (and likely anyone using the title) is not allowed since he debuted in Fantastic Four comics

Hence why past rumors pointed to a Wakandan Technology Outreach Pavilion hosted by Shuri in World Discovery or a fake World Showcase Pavilion for Wakanda replacing the generic African outpost. Both concepts that wouldn't require Black Panther or a big E-Ticket where the lack of Black Panther would feel weird.

Admittedly was never sure how legit these rumors were though
Excuse the Marvel lack of knowledge, but guessing Deadpool is not usable at WDW as well?

ppete1975

I dont think star tours needs to be removed, just rethemed. The building is fine, the ride itself is fine but a new experience would be amazing. I really wonder if they couldnt use it as a black box.
First Im a huge star wars fan but now with galaxys edge, star tours is an empty walkon most times.

Why not remove all the star wars branding, send the ATAT to my house for display, then make the queue all about disney history or do like disneylands mickeys runaway railroad, you could also show movie props ala great movie ride.

The ride itself would be a black box, no characters or anything and your safety spiel would introduce you to classic disney and classic hollywood. Then the attraction starts, you dont know what movie you will be in but they could use the randomizer to change it every ride.

This would give movies like chitty chitty bang bang, walle, fox and the hound, bambi, roger rabbit, the rescuers a place in the park and something completely new.. you could randomize 2 or 3 adventures or one really long one, and maybe you start out with 20 different ones and add new ones every year.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Excuse the Marvel lack of knowledge, but guessing Deadpool is not usable at WDW as well?
Not an expert on the contract, but I'd assume since he's a mutant who works with the X Men pretty regularly with a backstory tied closely to Wolverine/Weapon X that he would be off limits.

They can use Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr Strange, and presumably Eternals. I could also see Shang Chi, Moon Knight, and Werewolf by Night unless I'm missing something. I've heard Blade before but i really don't know. I've also seen speculation on Ms Marvel, but she's likely too connected to Captain Marvel to be used.

But any Avengers, Fantastic Four, or X-Men (or any characters/locations introduced in those comics) are off limits. As well as any characters featured in the artwork around Marvel Superhero Island

ctrlaltdel

I feel like Star Tours is very safe, despite my memory being that the initial speculation it would go away in both parks with Galaxy's Edge. It has not only endured, but thrived with nearly yearly additions to the ride. The technology isn't as thrilling when it first debuted, but it is a reliable crowd pleaser. There is zero reason to take it out, if anything, DHS could use 3-4 more rides like it, a ride that isn't quite an E-ticket anymore and something you can do most times with a sub-hour wait.

Ironically, Galaxy's Edge (at least initially), being so timeline constrained helped it. It obviously is not concerned with accurate canon at all, and allows you to potentially see many favorites from all over the franchise.

doctornick

I dont think star tours needs to be removed, just rethemed. The building is fine, the ride itself is fine but a new experience would be amazing. I really wonder if they couldnt use it as a black box.
First Im a huge star wars fan but now with galaxys edge, star tours is an empty walkon most times.

Why not remove all the star wars branding, send the ATAT to my house for display, then make the queue all about disney history or do like disneylands mickeys runaway railroad, you could also show movie props ala great movie ride.

The ride itself would be a black box, no characters or anything and your safety spiel would introduce you to classic disney and classic hollywood. Then the attraction starts, you dont know what movie you will be in but they could use the randomizer to change it every ride.

This would give movies like chitty chitty bang bang, walle, fox and the hound, bambi, roger rabbit, the rescuers a place in the park and something completely new.. you could randomize 2 or 3 adventures or one really long one, and maybe you start out with 20 different ones and add new ones every year.

In a broad sense, I think retheming Star Tours to a different property would make sense. Especially if they don't want an odd vestige of Star wars outside of Galaxy's Edge. There's nothing wrong with the ride mechanics and its very flexible and with 6 bays in DHS it has great capacity (part of the reason it never gets overwhelming wait times).

That being said - me sounding like a broken record - there is absolutely no reason to spend the money right now to change ST when the park has a ton of other needs. The park needs as many rides as possible ride now and ST provides good capacity and the randomization is great for re-rides in a park starved for attractions.

If/Once they build Monsters In and Zootopia and maybe another thing and have increased the number of rides in the park to over a dozen, then okay they can consider doing something to ST. Until that point, like a decade from now or even further down the road, they shouldn't touch it and fix actual issues in the park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not an expert on the contract, but I'd assume since he's a mutant who works with the X Men pretty regularly with a backstory tied closely to Wolverine/Weapon X that he would be off limits.

They can use Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr Strange, and presumably Eternals. I could also see Shang Chi, Moon Knight, and Werewolf by Night unless I'm missing something. I've heard Blade before but i really don't know. I've also seen speculation on Ms Marvel, but she's likely too connected to Captain Marvel to be used.

But any Avengers, Fantastic Four, or X-Men (or any characters/locations introduced in those comics) are off limits. As well as any characters featured in the artwork around Marvel Superhero Island

I am not sure where people get this idea from? The contract states that a character must be "more than an incidental element of an attraction", I would thinking being shown in artwork would be considered incidental.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But they are still promoting a property that is owned by Disney. Therefore, driving more engagement & merch sales for an IP that is not universal grown. Truly think that the Marvel area will be gone within the next decade.

** especially if Universal were to buy DC or WarnerBros entirely.

Keep in mind that the licensing fee for Marvel can only increase at the rate of inflation, so Universal is paying a bargain price for a very valuable IP. If they had to licenses something else for that area they would probably end up having to pay a lot more for something that is no where near as popular.

SCOTLORR

Mark my words, if MuppetVision goes the next thing in this park to go is Star Tours. Maybe it’s just a retheme to Incredibles, Big Hero 6, or some other IP, but they won’t have Monsters be the buffer between Star Wars experiences like MuppetVision

I could see a San Francisco area featuring Shang Chi and Big Hero 6 at the studios at some point.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I am not sure where people get this idea from? The contract states that a character must be "more than an incidental element of an attraction", UI would thinking being shown in artwork would be considered incidental.
Admittedly I never read it myself, just had it explained from others. But with your track record here, I trust you much more than just about anyone else on the topic

ppete1975

As I have said before though, they need to fix the ATAT. Box in the other side. The reason its only done on one side, is the same reason the streets of america had the huge backdrop, and were just fronts. It is to show how movies are made and they dont build things they dont need to. The entire reason it was built the way it was and easily seen, is to show movie magic which is what the park WAS. Now that none of that exists now, it makes it look cheap.

Which is so sad, because i remember being awed the first time i saw it in 1993, this was a time when star wars was basically buried and forgotten. To see the ATAT there made my jaw drop. Its amazing how far we have come since then, with star wars and what we expect from a theme park.

Sneaky

As I have said before though, they need to fix the ATAT. Box in the other side. The reason its only done on one side, is the same reason the streets of america had the huge backdrop, and were just fronts. It is to show how movies are made and they dont build things they dont need to. The entire reason it was built the way it was and easily seen, is to show movie magic which is what the park WAS. Now that none of that exists now, it makes it look cheap.

Which is so sad, because i remember being awed the first time i saw it in 1993, this was a time when star wars was basically buried and forgotten. To see the ATAT there made my jaw drop. Its amazing how far we have come since then, with star wars and what we expect from a theme park.
Yeah. “Studio” DHS is pretty much gone, as much as we can argue if it was the right or wrong move. I agree on stuff like the ATAT being fixed. Maybe a whole new exterior for Star tours too? I still think, whatever the new direction is, the name is staying. Imo the “studios” name has been around long enough that it’d be kidna strange Changing it. Besides, do we really want “adventure world” or “disneys kalideiscope XL park” as the name?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom