News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Surferboy567

Yeah he made it clear that his opinion of it going in muppets courtyard was purely speculation. His reasoning is pretty sound though, he cited the fact that muppets courtyard is the far cheaper option compared to animation. Just once, I’m asking for Disney to be cool just once and put this in animation courtyard where it belongs.
The reasoning is indeed sound. He just kinda came
off a little more upset about the rivers and I think that may be influencing how he feels.

I’m not saying it’s impossible muppets is going to be torn down but the new information definitely has me feeling more optimistic then I was before.

Mr. Sullivan

The Star Tours queue is more immersive than almost all of Galaxy's Edge though.
That I don’t think is ultimately the Star Tours sticking point.

The sticking point is that it’s already odd to have Star Tours where it is and have Galaxy's Edge where it is, both separated by MuppetVision. Odd enough that I’m shocked Muppets didn’t get axed for part of Galaxy’s Edge. The only reason it didn’t in my mind is because that courtyard is relatively isolated enough that they sorta kinda get away with it.

But I don’t see a world where Monsters goes where Muppets is and they do nothing about Star Tours. They’re not gonna get away with a whole major land splitting the two Star Wars areas in half, especially not when Star Tours’ location makes positioning awkward and eats land they could use. But they’re also not going to move Star Tours to Galaxy’s Edge for a multitude of reasons. And, finally, I don’t think they’re gonna get rid of Star Tours either despite it’s popularity shrinking with Galaxy’s Edge open.

That to me is one of the most compelling reasons why I don’t think Monsters is going there. Logistically it doesn’t make sense, even for the crazy stunts Disney has liked to pull the last decade.

Surferboy567

Because the newer version isn't nearly as good as the original attraction, because the outside still looks like a studio set, because there is an immersive Star Wars land right behind it and its weird to have this ride sitting outside of that. Disney isn't going to move Star Tours to GE, so just get rid of it and build something new.
This is a bad take in my opinion, studios can use any ride it can get. Star Tours is a decently popular ride, and is constantly updated and kept fresh. I’d be sad to see it go, sure maybe you can retheme it eventually down the line but losing it when the studios is about to become a construction zone is not a smart idea.

It’s also in my opinion, a perfectly fun serviceable ride. Is it groundbreaking? Not really but it’s an enjoyable attraction. Is it a little weird to have a random Star Wars ride disconnected from GE? Perhaps, but I don’t think that means rip it out.

Last edited:

The Leader of the Club

But I don’t see a world where Monsters goes where Muppets is and they do nothing about Star Tours. They’re not gonna get away with a whole major land splitting the two Star Wars areas in half, especially not when Star Tours’ location makes positioning awkward and eats land they could use. But they’re also not going to move Star Tours to Galaxy’s Edge for a multitude of reasons. And, finally, I don’t think they’re gonna get rid of Star Tours either despite it’s popularity shrinking with Galaxy’s Edge open.
Mark my words, if MuppetVision goes the next thing in this park to go is Star Tours. Maybe it’s just a retheme to Incredibles, Big Hero 6, or some other IP, but they won’t have Monsters be the buffer between Star Wars experiences like MuppetVision was.

lazyboy97o

I've mentioned this space before in regards to the offices, but when I do, I don't mean that they should convert the hotel itself into office space. What I mean is this land has already been developed to host a dwelling so it would make sense to construct a new office space here after demolishing the old building because it wouldn't require them to do any sort of pre-development work like tree clearing, plumbing routing, etc. It's there already.
Site work is not some big obstacle and would still have to be done.

The sticking point is that it’s already odd to have Star Tours where it is and have Galaxy's Edge where it is, both separated by MuppetVision. Odd enough that I’m shocked Muppets didn’t get axed for part of Galaxy’s Edge. The only reason it didn’t in my mind is because that courtyard is relatively isolated enough that they sorta kinda get away with it.
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue was developed as a prequel era experience. That doesn’t align with the very specifically defined timeline and setting of Galaxy’s Edge. They were deliberately kept separated when the project switched from being more general in time and place to being something very specific.

doctornick

If Monsters goes to AC does that mean they still have future plans for Zootopia or would putting Monsters in AC prevent that???
It would depend on specific plans and specific backstage usage but IMHO there’s plenty of space backstage behind AC to fit both Monsters Inc and Zootopia. I’d fill that up first then you can talk about using the stunt show area (or even the BatB theater which has an expansion pad next to it). I would do all of that before I’d even consider touching Muppets or Star Tours.

WoundedDreamer

The Star Tours queue is more immersive than almost all of Galaxy's Edge though.
100%. I’ve always believed that the queue to Star Tours represented the key to a good Star Wars land. The Star Tours queue has several show scenes you go by. Imagine a land with similar show scenes spread throughout it.

I think that’s what’s missing from Galaxy’s Ledge. Imagine a land filled with droids and aliens living their lives. It doesn’t have to be a complex stuntronic. Instead, it could be a few droids or aliens shooting the breeze about the latest happenings. That’s what the Star Tours queue does so well. It makes the world feel real.

Instead, the land is dead. All the life is in Smuggler’s Fun and Rise of the Rebellion. The most lively character outside of those rides is the droid turning the Ronto roast.

Star Tours is still probably the most convincing Star Wars in the park. 😂

DomVF07

Found this today, take with a grain of salt?

IMG_2956.jpeg

WoundedDreamer

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue was developed as a prequel era experience. That doesn’t align with the very specifically defined timeline and setting of Galaxy’s Edge. They were deliberately kept separated when the project switched from being more general in time and place to being something very specific.
Absolutely right, but at this point both the strict continuity of the Galaxy’s Edge and Star Tours is being eroded.

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, as you note, was set between the events of the prequels and original trilogy. It was a way to incorporate some of the Separatist battle droid holdouts, Imperial Stormtroopers, and the beginnings of the Rebel Alliance in one ride. It made some sense canonically, though one could easily argue that it stretched believability (there was another battle over Coruscant that looked exactly like the one fought decades before… convenient).

But that attempt at continuity has been eroded under Disney’s watch. They have featured show scenes set in Episode 7, Episode 8, Episode 9, Andor, the Mandolorian, and Ashoka. You could argue that the Andor and Ashoka ones fit, but the rest are off by decades. Star Tours is no longer coherent, and I doubt Disney cares.

Add to that the news that Baby Yoda and Mando are being added to Smuggler’s Fun, and you’ll be jumping back in time decades when boarding the attraction compared to the rest of Batuu.

Is Star Tours in Batuu absurd? No more absurd than Baby Yoda in Batuu. I suspect that from now on Disney isn’t going to let Star Wars continuity get in the way of what they want to do. That could mean Star Tours is relocated, but that would take considerable cost. So, it would need a strong impetus.

In short, I doubt this is what will happen, but I don’t think continuity is what will stop them.
Found this today, take with a grain of salt?

View attachment 810432
I hope this is true! If it is, Disney should come out ASAP and put this controversy to bed. They could win easy points with the fans and turn a negative story into a positive narrative with a simple blog post! Disneyland Paris faced fan concerns after D23 when the concept art for their Lion King ride featured characters from the reboot. They put out a simple statement with assurances that it would be based on the original animated film. And like that, worry in amongst fans dissipated and excitement grew.

Disney’s D23 announcements, which were supposed to create excitement, have instead divided Disney fans. Finding out Muppets has been spared would bring happiness to many!

Again, if this is true, Disney should let us know!

GravityFalls

I'm not sure if Zootopia would be a good fit for a park with a Monsters Inc area. While the films themselves and the attractions the lands feature are vastly different, at the end of the day both are city-scape environments. It's the same sort of vibe in both areas. Disney Parks thrive when there is a juxtaposition between lands. I'm guessing it was an either/or decision between Zootopia and Monsters and the decision was to go with Monsters.

rct247

Doubt it. Echo Lake/Indy/Star Tours (Potentially the Theatre of the stars) are all next on the chopping block. All of which are sizable expansion pads to house Zootopia. My guess is Zootopia is earmarked for Indy.

I would think Monsters could be Animation Ctyd with Zootopia (if it has to go in DHS) could work out nice in Muppets (if Muppets needed to be replaced). The Grand Ave facade would be fitting for the interactive characters on the building facades like Shanghai (with the proper room behind them as well to house the equipment). Muppets would become a dark ride, but not the same as in Shanghai, and the existing buildings could still be modified like we are saying with Muppets to Monsters. Imagine Mama Melrose or PizzaRizzo becoming something like themed to Little Roditia with Mr. Big, Fru Fru, and Grandmama with a nice Easter egg nod to Rizzo also being a rodent.

All that said. I am for keeping Muppets at DHS.

TrainsOfDisney

I wish people would be honest with themselves and say Galaxy’s Edge is the Star Wars they don’t like, and just call it a day there. People really do just go onto the internet and say things.
The land has its issues. I thought force awakens was pretty good - I’m not against all the new stuff. But what makes me smile the most is r2 and c3 p0 arguing in the star tours que - I wish I could just watch that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom