News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Fox&Hound

There's bubbles at least as a physical effect. But more importantly there are Animatronics that would need to be moved and installed and they have to have some way for a costumed cast member to come out as Sweetums. None of that seems like anything impossible to do with a new theater but I would submit that it would be a bit more costly than simply porting a show that is just the 3D film.

But my point would remain that the most cost effective thing would be to just keep MV where it is and make any additions actually additions by building in places that are underutilized or backstage or undeveloped. The Launch Bay footprint + backstage there is the most logical place for anything right now. Once that large area is filled - which should be with multiple rides along with food/merch - then you can consider "upgrading" other areas of the park by maybe replacing things. But even then I would consider replacing the IJ stunt show or the BatB show (which has an expansion pad next to it) before MV/Grand Avenue.

Personally, the only thing that should be considered to replace MV in the short term (say the next 10 years) would be if they wanted to expand Galaxy's Edge to connect to Star Tours. Anything else there are much better locations in the park for virtually anything they want to do.
Costumed…cast member..as Sweetums?!? Ummmm what are you trying to imply? That, my friend, is the real deal.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I think they're going to announce any kind of news about location it'll be during the week. They rarely announce things on the weekend unless it's the expo or some weird thing like how Bob Chapek got fired.

Disstevefan1

If they are going to destroy Muppets, I think they are going to keep quiet as long as possible, but if they are going to do the right thing and put it at the launch bay, they will announce that sooner rather than later.

I am hoping they showed two different pictures because there is still internal fighting going on; the folks who want to do it as cheap as possible, and the folks who care about the guests.

lazyboy97o

THat's because all of those are built into the other parks. Magic Kindgom for example has the Utilidoors and the offices over Main Street USA. Epcot has their own tunnel but also has lots of spaces dispersed throughout the park. Most of the country pavilions have second floor offices and warehouse space behind the pavilions for example and the building wings on either side of the park entry gates are also office space. Unfortunately with Animal Kingdom I've never been back stage so I can't speak to that. Ok so with regards to Hollywood Studios, That park is unique in that it was originally built as a Working sound stage with the theme park being secondary. As part of this it was built quite fast and thus most of the office space is back stage and built with adaptability in mind. The downside to this is Hollywood Studios today is being forced to redevelop a lot of backstage offices and other necessary structures to allow for the park expansion.
A lot of those spaces weren’t really designed but filled in over time. But that sort layering is what should be done and can be done with new projects. Some great recent examples are entertainment having rehearsal and office space above the maintenance facilities for Hagrid’s or the offices integrated into Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disneyland. Parks having to redevelop backstage facilities is nothing new because they are often an over site as money is focused on guest areas.

But, Disney’s Hollywood Studios also clearly has excess office space as evidenced by the Twitter escapades of an employee who works there but isn’t actually doing anything related to the park. That office space includes work that absolutely could be done in another location.

bwr827

It means guests are willing to wait 10 minutes to experience the attraction, currently. And willing to wait 9 times as much (90 minutes) for the Tower of Terror attraction. Tower of Terror is a shorter experience but with higher capacity per hour, so makes the 90 minute vs. 10 minute difference even more significant (people willing to wait longer on a ride that moved through people quicker and is ultimately a shorter-lived experience)

Im not a Muppets die-hard, but feels like a better fit for a smaller theater. If it doesn’t have as much mass appeal, it at least remains available for a more niche crowd that still wants to enjoy it
Plus it would land even better in a smaller space, provided they invest in the physical effects to provide the full show.

Conan O’Brien talks about a concept called “comedy compression” referring to the energy of a live audience in a smaller space.

roj2323

A lot of those spaces weren’t really designed but filled in over time. But that sort layering is what should be done and can be done with new projects. Some great recent examples are entertainment having rehearsal and office space above the maintenance facilities for Hagrid’s or the offices integrated into Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disneyland. Parks having to redevelop backstage facilities is nothing new because they are often an over site as money is focused on guest areas.

But, Disney’s Hollywood Studios also clearly has excess office space as evidenced by the Twitter escapades of an employee who works there but isn’t actually doing anything related to the park. That office space includes work that absolutely could be done in another location.

Speaking of Runaway Railway, Hollywood Studios actually has a second floor break room for costumed characters. I used it often as a Custodian as there's daily large bathrooms and a water fountain that's ice cold. From what I remember (I haven't worked there in 10 or so years) it's just under 2,000sq ft. It really was one of the nicer perks of working the Chinese theater trash / bathroom zones. Provided you asked nicely the costumed character team was cool about letting you take your breaks in there. There's also lockers downstairs where I kept Gatorade powder, my rain gear, and spare socks. That whole ride building actually has a lot of hidden spaces partially due to the irregular space. Basically if it made a triangle they turned it into storage space.

YodaMan

I wonder if wires got crossed on the Triceratops Spin thing. Perhaps it was intended to replace MV3D if the Monsters coaster building is built behind Mama Melrose?

As is, there's not enough clearance for TS and circulation paths back in the Muppets Courtyard. Even if you demo Stage 1, there's not enough. The only way you could squeeze it in would be to heavily modify/remove Mama Melrose or in place of MV3D's theater.

Regardless, if Monsters does come to AC, a re-skinned Triceratops Spin seems like a great 2nd attraction to help fill out the land along with a playground.

Maybe I’m being obtuse, but isn’t there enough space in the small parking lot by the exit of the show? It’s been mentioned a few times as an Armchair Imagineer idea. The last of the Streets of America facades back there are almost completely demolished and if they move those few backstage parking spaces they could comfortably fit Triceratops Spin.

A5CAF692-E317-4216-A9EE-9F0DB8A72052.jpeg

It used to have an outdoor extended queue - I’m not sure if it still exists.

It does still exist. It’s not often used for Muppets (demand would have to exceed the capacity of about 550 guests every 17.5 minutes), but Rise of the Resistance will use it as additional space as well (often at opening or when reopening from a downtime when they have a large surge of guests).

It means guests are willing to wait 10 minutes to experience the attraction, currently. And willing to wait 9 times as much (90 minutes) for the Tower of Terror attraction. Tower of Terror is a shorter experience but with higher capacity per hour, so makes the 90 minute vs. 10 minute difference even more significant (people willing to wait longer on a ride that moved through people quicker and is ultimately a shorter-lived experience)

Im not a Muppets die-hard, but feels like a better fit for a smaller theater. If it doesn’t have as much mass appeal, it at least remains available for a more niche crowd that still wants to enjoy it

I still think you’re underestimating the demand that Muppets meets. MV3D can churn through about 550 guests every 17.5 minutes. The Mickey Shorts Theater holds less than half of that. Throughout the entire afternoon the demand for MV3D exceeds the capacity that Mickey Shorts Theater would offer while offering almost no queue space. Moving it to a smaller venue wouldn’t solve every problem.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom