News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Nickm2022

Let's take a break from debating muppets for a moment.
1. Is there an actual difference in content inside the land between the two sites. For example does AC mean an additional ride, or MC mean extended Montropolis, etc? These are just examples, but do the two proposals differ in what will be included.
2. What are the actual confines of the land. Does MC also include tearing down Star Tours finally? What does AC mean for Brown Derby and Little Mermaid, and would it connect to the back of Sunset.

I think these questions are more important, because I think if we are gaining more by losing one thing, or losing more by gaining little makes me question where to put it.

TrainsOfDisney

Does MC also include tearing down Star Tours finally?
There is a mandatory fire access lane between muppets and star tours - so that in itself would make it difficult. I’m also guessing they are hoping to get rights to Marvel and retheme Star tours for a quick open while they build a campus at the old backlot and Indy space.

What does AC mean for Brown Derby and Little Mermaid, and would it connect to the back of Sunset.

Brown derby would be fine.
Mermaid they can do whatever they want with - it could be included in the plans or it could remain separate.

The connection to sunset can happen right now if they want to.

UNCgolf

There is a mandatory fire access lane between muppets and star tours - so that in itself would make it difficult. I’m also guessing they are hoping to get rights to Marvel and retheme Star tours for a quick open while they build a campus at the old backlot and Indy space.

Brown derby would be fine.
Mermaid they can do whatever they want with - it could be included in the plans or it could remain separate.

The connection to sunset can happen right now if they want to.

I don't think there's any way they get the Marvel rights. There's no reason for Universal to give them up barring some kind of insane offer, but then it wouldn't be worth doing for Disney.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't think there's any way they get the Marvel rights. There's no reason for Universal to give them up barring some kind of insane offer, but then it wouldn't be worth doing for Disney.
You know they want them - it’s just a matter of time. At the very least universal will keep a few and let Disney use the rest.

the_rich

Well eventually universal is gonna have to either retheme the rides or replace them. Would they really spend all that money promoting something they don't own?

Moth

1. Is there an actual difference in content inside the land between the two sites. For example does AC mean an additional ride, or MC mean extended Montropolis, etc? These are just examples, but do the two proposals differ in what will be included.
2. What are the actual confines of the land. Does MC also include tearing down Star Tours finally? What does AC mean for Brown Derby and Little Mermaid, and would it connect to the back of Sunset.

I think these questions are more important, because I think if we are gaining more by losing one thing, or losing more by gaining little makes me question where to put it.
From what I've heard between both plans...

•AC means a show is in the cards, along with the playground. MC is just the coaster and playground, I don't know about the show being apart of MC plans.
•MC plans have Star Tours still standing.
•Monsters is likely going to the far back of AC (Launch Bay+feature animation) Mermaid will still be there, so will Brown Derby reportedly. Bit less clear on BD. Mermaid could possibly have a rerouted entrance that hides the building from Monsters using a facade.
•Leaning yes on Sunset connection.

doctornick

“Finally”? Why would anyone suggest that removing Star Tours is a positive?

doctornick

Well eventually universal is gonna have to either retheme the rides or replace them. Would they really spend all that money promoting something they don't own?
Universal has the Marvel rights in perpetuity (if they want them). They have no reason to ever have to replace those rides and the land.

At most we might see Disney paying to share the Marvel rights or being able to use some additional characters that Uni isn’t using but even that is a big long shot.

CJR

•AC means a show is in the cards, along with the playground. MC is just the coaster and playground, I don't know about the show being apart of MC plans.
•Monsters is likely going to the far back of AC (Launch Bay+feature animation) Mermaid will still be there, so will Brown Derby reportedly. Bit less clear on BD. Mermaid could possibly have a rerouted entrance that hides the building from Monsters using a facade.

I think of the Launch Bay replacement similar to Tom Sawyer Island going away. Does anyone in mass really visit Launch Bay?

It's going to be a big capacity gain there. I'd bet more people will spend time just roaming Monstropolis than, not counting the ride, there are currently in Launch Bay on an average day.

I think MC would also be a small capacity gain, but the demand it's bringing to the park would do more harm than good, in that spot.

Better put (IMHO), if it's in MC, people are still unlikely to visit Launch Bay on an average day; if it's in AC, people are more likely to still visit Muppets.

One big reason I could see them wanting MC regardless, is that less demolition time likely equals a faster opening turnaround and they are likely trying to catch up with marketable attractions, after dragging their feet for years.

doctornick

If there’s an extra attraction in the AC location in addition to keeping Muppets, it is ridiculous how much better an option that is for guests.

akileese

As long as they can move merch yes. The only thing I could see breaking this would be them acquiring WB and buying out DCs rights from Six Flags. This would be ironic since that was the original plan for SHI.

That said, I imagine they'll keep retracking and refurbing as long as they can since there's more important things to worry about.

lazyboy97o

There is a mandatory fire access lane between muppets and star tours - so that in itself would make it difficult.
Access has to buildings has to be provided but access to the interior of the park does not have to be at specific points. They can be moved and other access points utilized.

Yes. Half of their new park is stuff they don’t own.

TrainsOfDisney

I think of the Launch Bay replacement similar to Tom Sawyer Island going away.
Launch Bay does nothing to enhance the atmosphere of the park. Similar to Tom Sawyer there is lots of history that will be lost that makes me a little sad -

If it was my park that would be a “Magic of Disney Animation” building like at DCA with special exhibits for the movies that were made there.

But….. that won’t happen anyways so I have no real care I guess.

TrainsOfDisney

Access has to buildings has to be provided but access to the interior of the park does not have to be at specific points. They can be moved and other access points utilized.
Yes, anything is possible but it would be some extra layers. Not sure who all has to approve and sign off on that kind of thing.

lazyboy97o

Yes, anything is possible but it would be some extra layers. Not sure who all has to approve and sign off on that kind of thing.
It’s not actually any extra layers. Providing fire access is just part of designing a building. Regardless of what project they do the civil engineer and architect are going to design and document access. It gets submitted for approval just like everything else as part of getting the building permits.

The bigger issue with the access roads is that they sometimes have utilities buried underneath them that service the park. Moving those is a bigger undertaking than sending firetrucks a different way.

lazyboy97o

How to Train Your Dragon is the only property going into that park where Universal owns the characters.

Obviously Universal has a history of making movies about the classic monsters but those characters are in the public domain and never owned by Universal.
Universal owns their interpretation of the characters, with the park featuring new interpretations.

djlaosc

So, based on the map that I put in here yesterday (now with added orange area showing what you have said above), do you think that this orange area is where they would look to be building Monstropolis?
1724009827545.png

If so, that looks as though it would divide any remaining potential expansion space in half (obviously I would imagine that they would need to keep/relocate some of the buildings currently backstage.

Is there anything in the yellow area that you know that they would not remove? If not, then it looks like there could potentially be enough space for Zootropolis, and/or Springfield, and/or Metroville to be built, depending on what they were planning for the land, especially if they included RnRC at some point in the future.

Looking at the above, it would look as though the closest connection to Sunset Boulevard would be beside Anaheim Produce - do you think that this would be where it would connect for now (until a later expansion may join beside RnRC)?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom