News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

dmc493

This says it all....

"
I was promoted to oversee efforts on a mission-critical EPCOT transformation initiative, managing 25+ separate project elements and aligning teams on a holistic, concept-to-delivery creative vision (500+ team members and 1,000 combined partners, collaborators, and stakeholders). In this capacity, I serve as the single accountable WDI leader for the EPCOT project, including master planning, story and concept, detailed design, and delivery/construction elements.

💠 Oversaw the largest redevelopment of a Disney theme park in its 65-year history (multi-year transformation of EPCOT), from nascent vision to reality, with the early results well-received by the public.

💠 Led a reengineering initiative that fixed issues with a major component (groundbreaking new attraction); project is proceeding effectively, with a doable scope delivery and a unified project team.

💠 Created a process for team collaboration and talent utilization that is scalable to all of the Walt Disney World portfolio, including a common review structure, new leader placement, and diverse talent casting.

💠 Secured approval for a groundbreaking level of investment in record time. Fostered a tight alignment of the vision with business priorities.

💠 Achieved the right balance between the EPCOT legacy and new strategies. Zero-baselined all casting, brought in top talent, modified the leadership structure, and recruited externally to elevate creative efforts."

Note that this includes the "mistake on the lake"
Are the decorative bullet points your doing or Mr Zach’s?

akileese

They need to find a way to reboot the muppets ip. I feel like ever since Jim Henson passed away muppets have never been the same and nothing has really lived up to the past quality of the muppets.
I really enjoyed the Brian Henson movies from the 90s (Christmas carol, treasure island), even if they were different from Jim's muppets.

The James Bobin movie from 2011 did pretty wel financially, most wanted less so. I really enjoyed Muppet Haunted Mansion too.

The Muppets are really at their best as a weird variety show. Muppet Mayhem was fantastic and I really wish it would have gotten more than one season. I'm not sure how you get it back into the cultural forefront without Jim Henson though. Frank Oz is wonderful, but he's also 80 years old.

Quietmouse

I’m not sure how much it would take for Disney to purchase the paw patrol ip, but if they were able to snag it, that would fit perfectly in dhs.

Paw patrol is a monster ip, that is beloved by boys and girls. My daughter has been a paw patrol fan for over 4 years now, if for no other reason then the small figurines and play sets they sell.

Right now you can only experience a small theme park area at mall of America in Minnesota with paw patrol rides and meet and greets.

I think it could be a great addition to the Disney ip catalogue and be a huge hit in the theme park.

999th Happy Haunt

I’m not sure how much it would take for Disney to purchase the paw patrol ip, but if they were able to snag it, that would fit perfectly in dhs.

Paw patrol is a monster ip, that is beloved by boys and girls. My daughter has been a paw patrol fan for over 4 years now, if for no other reason then the small figurines and play sets they sell.

Right now you can only experience a small theme park area at mall of America in Minnesota with paw patrol rides and meet and greets.

I think it could be a great addition to the Disney ip catalogue and be a huge hit in the theme park.
I would put a million dollars on Disney never putting Paw Patrol in any of their parks.

Castle Cake Apologist

Considering the limited paying crowd it actually gets (not free Internet “support”), Muppets would be very appropriate for the Mickey Shorts theater. They could give it a nice facade and actually fill those seats, maybe even enough to even make it a lightning lane. Can then open the way to use Grand Ave for something with more appeal to the paying crowd

10 minute wait on a hot Saturday afternoon
View attachment 810123

It's a continuously-playing theatre show. That's typically how the waits for those work, so I'm not entirely sure what you think this proves. The "wait" would just be the amount of time until the next show.

There's no queue of people loading into a vehicle, just a lobby of people waiting for a set time. I can't imagine how this concept isn't obvious.

Last edited:

Horizonsfan

I wonder if wires got crossed on the Triceratops Spin thing. Perhaps it was intended to replace MV3D if the Monsters coaster building is built behind Mama Melrose?

As is, there's not enough clearance for TS and circulation paths back in the Muppets Courtyard. Even if you demo Stage 1, there's not enough. The only way you could squeeze it in would be to heavily modify/remove Mama Melrose or in place of MV3D's theater.

Regardless, if Monsters does come to AC, a re-skinned Triceratops Spin seems like a great 2nd attraction to help fill out the land along with a playground.

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

It's a continuously-playing theatre show. That's typically how the waits for those work, so I'm not entirely sure what you think this proves. The "wait" would just be the amount of time until the next show.

There's no queue of people loading into a vehicle, just a lobby of people waiting for a set time. I can't imagine how this concept isn't obvious.

Based on some of the accusations lobbed at Muppets, Disney doesn't have a single successful non-live theater show. They all have super low wait times. Even the cutesy, IP-stuffed darling that is PhilharMagic. No one ever suggests ditching that one.

Imagine if Muppets actually could get up to like a sixty minute wait. It barely even has a physical line. They'd need like two dozen stantions snaking around the place, blocking the exit at the back.

Jrb1979

This actually does happen, though. We know they've cancelled and changed announcements nearly last minute for D23 before.

Plus, it' s not that unusual for large corporations. I work with some even bigger than Disney, and you'd be surprised how often major plans are still in flux and subject to change or outright cancellation very late in the process.
IMO it's all cause they announce these things way too early. D23 announcements should be for things that have shovels in the ground on.

djlaosc

I really enjoyed the Brian Henson movies from the 90s (Christmas carol, treasure island), even if they were different from Jim's muppets.
It would be good if they reopened "It's A Wonderful Shop" as Muppets Christmas Carol, especially if they were to look to remove Liberty Square in the future (is Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe the only other in-park Christmas Shop in a WDW Park? EDIT: As pointed out below, Germany in Epcot has a Christmas shop.) I suppose if Muppets did move to Liberty Square, they could still keep the shop.

If all of this talk over the past week made Disney want to give one final (cheap) go to the area, before possibly relocating Muppets, depending on the future of Hall of Presidents/wherever the plan to move them would move them to, how cheaply could they:
  • Reopen It's A Wonderful Shop, rethemed to Muppet's Christmas Carol
  • Reopen Stage 1 Company Store with Muppets merchandise
  • Retheme Mama Malrose, adding Swedish Chef (screen like the Cruise Line restaurants?) or Muppet Character Meal
That could potentially allow them to see how well the Muppets could do, as to what level of investment to give them in the future.

The area as is is a continuously running show (won't have long waits), 2 closed shops, a quick service restaurant that the internet actively tells people to avoid, and a hidden away table service restaurant. The Muppets deserve more than that.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Walt Disney himself had the company(his brother) buy the rights to Zorro and used the property, that was not his, to produce a tv show after acquiring the rights and keep the character in the park, even though the show was rarefuly that successful compared to other properties.

Big Hero Six through Marvel was aquired.

They are not all Toy Story or Mickey.

However, they are not all Star cruiser or Cars 3 or Wish either.

Muppets have their highs and lows but are evergreen. Even when it is not an easy thing to be. ;-)
The vast majority of what’s in DHS was acquired or is/was licensed.

MMRR, Frozen, Little Mermaid, BATB, and Frozen shows/attractions are the only ones organic to Disney.

All the Pixar attractions are based on pre-acquisition properties; the Lucasfilm attractions (other than SWGE) were licensed. Same with TOT/RNRC.

If anything, Disney’s owned the Muppets (2004) longer than Pixar (2006) and Lucasfilm/Indy acquisitions (2012).

WorldExplorer

It would be good if they reopened "It's A Wonderful Shop" as Muppets Christmas Carol, especially if they were to look to remove Liberty Square in the future (is Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe the only other in-park Christmas Shop in a WDW Park?)

Germany in the World Showcase has a general Christmas shop on one side (snowmen, Santas, etc.) then a more Disney one on the other.

Jrb1979

Good.

I mean, come on. The puppet theater is gonna disappear sooner or later. Again, it was removed from Disneyland and nobody shed a tear. (Where were you THEN, Josh Gad?)

The VAST majority of parkgoers will enjoy a Monsters Inc. Land more than they ever enjoyed the puppet theater.

(Again, I'd prefer Roger Rabbit as a replacement, but oh well...)
A lot of the new GP only care about flashy and thrills. Could care less about the theme of the park. Instead of being transported to a Western themed land they want to hear "Kachow Kachow"

Brer Panther

@Brer Panther I would argue that we need Family Guy and The Simpsons in the parks ASAP.
In the words of Mike Wazowski, is that a joke? Tell me you're joking.

Paw Patrol is owned by Nickelodeon, right? The only way I could see Disney gaining ownership of Paw Patrol is if they buy Nickelodeon... which I believe is owned by Paramount. And I can't see Paramount selling Nickelodeon, to Disney would have to buy Paramount as a whole. I'm having difficulty picturing that.

CoasterFan27

A lot of the new GP only care about flashy and thrills. Could care less about the theme of the park. Instead of being transported to a Western themed land they want to hear "Kachow Kachow"
If that was remotely true people would go to six flags and save the $300 a night at Disney. Or at least be at universal rather than Disney which we've seen from stats isn't happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom