News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tha Realest

Walt Disney himself had the company(his brother) buy the rights to Zorro and used the property, that was not his, to produce a tv show after acquiring the rights and keep the character in the park, even though the show was rarefuly that successful compared to other properties.

Big Hero Six through Marvel was aquired.

They are not all Toy Story or Mickey.

However, they are not all Star cruiser or Cars 3 or Wish either.

Muppets have their highs and lows but are evergreen. Even when it is not an easy thing to be. ;-)
The vast majority of what’s in DHS was acquired or is/was licensed.

MMRR, Frozen, Little Mermaid, BATB, and Frozen shows/attractions are the only ones organic to Disney.

All the Pixar attractions are based on pre-acquisition properties; the Lucasfilm attractions (other than SWGE) were licensed. Same with TOT/RNRC.

If anything, Disney’s owned the Muppets (2004) longer than Pixar (2006) and Lucasfilm/Indy acquisitions (2012).

WorldExplorer

It would be good if they reopened "It's A Wonderful Shop" as Muppets Christmas Carol, especially if they were to look to remove Liberty Square in the future (is Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe the only other in-park Christmas Shop in a WDW Park?)

Germany in the World Showcase has a general Christmas shop on one side (snowmen, Santas, etc.) then a more Disney one on the other.

Jrb1979

Good.

I mean, come on. The puppet theater is gonna disappear sooner or later. Again, it was removed from Disneyland and nobody shed a tear. (Where were you THEN, Josh Gad?)

The VAST majority of parkgoers will enjoy a Monsters Inc. Land more than they ever enjoyed the puppet theater.

(Again, I'd prefer Roger Rabbit as a replacement, but oh well...)
A lot of the new GP only care about flashy and thrills. Could care less about the theme of the park. Instead of being transported to a Western themed land they want to hear "Kachow Kachow"

Brer Panther

@Brer Panther I would argue that we need Family Guy and The Simpsons in the parks ASAP.
In the words of Mike Wazowski, is that a joke? Tell me you're joking.
I’m not sure how much it would take for Disney to purchase the paw patrol ip, but if they were able to snag it, that would fit perfectly in dhs.

Paw patrol is a monster ip, that is beloved by boys and girls. My daughter has been a paw patrol fan for over 4 years now, if for no other reason then the small figurines and play sets they sell.

Right now you can only experience a small theme park area at mall of America in Minnesota with paw patrol rides and meet and greets.

I think it could be a great addition to the Disney ip catalogue and be a huge hit in the theme park.
Paw Patrol is owned by Nickelodeon, right? The only way I could see Disney gaining ownership of Paw Patrol is if they buy Nickelodeon... which I believe is owned by Paramount. And I can't see Paramount selling Nickelodeon, to Disney would have to buy Paramount as a whole. I'm having difficulty picturing that.

IMO it's all cause they announce these things way too early. D23 announcements should be for things that have shovels in the ground on.
Surely better to have flexibility if it turns out fan reaction isn't quite as expected? Slightly more chaotic but not stuck with construction teams on site and no way to back out imo

A lot of the new GP only care about flashy and thrills. Could care less about the theme of the park. Instead of being transported to a Western themed land they want to hear "Kachow Kachow"
If that was remotely true people would go to six flags and save the $300 a night at Disney. Or at least be at universal rather than Disney which we've seen from stats isn't happening.

roj2323

Sure, but none of the others parks have quite as big of a complex sitting right on the edge of the park. One of the benefits of a resort complex is you do have a larger property beyond the immediate park to place facilities. It is also possible to mix uses within a facility.
THat's because all of those are built into the other parks. Magic Kindgom for example has the Utilidoors and the offices over Main Street USA. Epcot has their own tunnel but also has lots of spaces dispersed throughout the park. Most of the country pavilions have second floor offices and warehouse space behind the pavilions for example and the building wings on either side of the park entry gates are also office space. Unfortunately with Animal Kingdom I've never been back stage so I can't speak to that. Ok so with regards to Hollywood Studios, That park is unique in that it was originally built as a Working sound stage with the theme park being secondary. As part of this it was built quite fast and thus most of the office space is back stage and built with adaptability in mind. The downside to this is Hollywood Studios today is being forced to redevelop a lot of backstage offices and other necessary structures to allow for the park expansion.

TrainsOfDisney

In the words of Mike Wazowski, is that a joke? Tell me you're joking.

Paw Patrol is owned by Nickelodeon, right? The only way I could see Disney gaining ownership of Paw Patrol is if they buy Nickelodeon... which I believe is owned by Paramount. And I can't see Paramount selling Nickelodeon, to Disney would have to buy Paramount as a whole. I'm having difficulty picturing that.
Paramount just got sold didn’t they? Not sure if that makes anything more or less likely.

V_L_Raptor

This says it all....

"
I was promoted to oversee efforts on a mission-critical EPCOT transformation initiative, managing 25+ separate project elements and aligning teams on a holistic, concept-to-delivery creative vision (500+ team members and 1,000 combined partners, collaborators, and stakeholders). In this capacity, I serve as the single accountable WDI leader for the EPCOT project, including master planning, story and concept, detailed design, and delivery/construction elements.

💠 Oversaw the largest redevelopment of a Disney theme park in its 65-year history (multi-year transformation of EPCOT), from nascent vision to reality, with the early results well-received by the public.

💠 Led a reengineering initiative that fixed issues with a major component (groundbreaking new attraction); project is proceeding effectively, with a doable scope delivery and a unified project team.

💠 Created a process for team collaboration and talent utilization that is scalable to all of the Walt Disney World portfolio, including a common review structure, new leader placement, and diverse talent casting.

💠 Secured approval for a groundbreaking level of investment in record time. Fostered a tight alignment of the vision with business priorities.

💠 Achieved the right balance between the EPCOT legacy and new strategies. Zero-baselined all casting, brought in top talent, modified the leadership structure, and recruited externally to elevate creative efforts."

Note that this includes the "mistake on the lake"

My buzzword bingo card is full.

ToTBellHop

I’ve actually waited in the MV extended queue during a recent December trip, so it’s there but not usually needed.

Critically, MV enjoys excellent GSAT scores. But, it doesn’t book Lightning Lanes and that is unfortunately a metric. I do think the response to its planned removal has been strong enough to at least make Disney take a breath. No idea what their final decision is/will be.

Sneaky

I’ve actually waited in the MV extended queue during a recent December trip, so it’s there but not usually needed.

Critically, MV enjoys excellent GSAT scores. But, it doesn’t book Lightning Lanes and that is unfortunately a metric. I do think the response to its planned removal has been strong enough to at least make Disney take a breath. No idea what their final decision is/will be.
Let’s hope people are right about it going in AC. the evacuation of the offices has to account for something.

CoasterCowboy67

It's a continuously-playing theatre show. That's typically how the waits for those work, so I'm not entirely sure what you think this proves. The "wait" would just be the amount of time until the next show.

There's no queue of people loading into a vehicle, just a lobby of people waiting for a set time. I can't imagine how this concept isn't obvious.
It means guests are willing to wait 10 minutes to experience the attraction, currently. And willing to wait 9 times as much (90 minutes) for the Tower of Terror attraction. Tower of Terror is a shorter experience but with higher capacity per hour, so makes the 90 minute vs. 10 minute difference even more significant (people willing to wait longer on a ride that moved through people quicker and is ultimately a shorter-lived experience)

Im not a Muppets die-hard, but feels like a better fit for a smaller theater. If it doesn’t have as much mass appeal, it at least remains available for a more niche crowd that still wants to enjoy it

doctornick

That can’t be as big of a deal as some are implying - otherwise Moana wouldn’t have gotten built and we wouldn’t have seen an update to Country Bears.

I can see it as something that determines how disposable an attraction is (see also TSI and the Liberty Belle) but not necessarily that they are worthless. I think to @ToTBellHop point, they probably wouldn't be very eager to remove/replace an attraction that has significant LL value.

djlaosc

It obviously isn't needed for most of the year to actually save you any time, but is it not useful for a park to have a couple of attractions like this and Star Tours to where it won't necessarily save you a lot of time (although Star Tours will save more time than Muppets), but could psychologically make guests feel better about the amount they have spent?

It's not a lot, but would guests feel better to spend (using today's price of $22):
  • $7.33 per attraction on 3 attractions (initial selections), or
  • $4.40 per attraction on 5 attractions (initial selections + Muppets + Star Tours)
---
  • $4.40 per attraction on 5 attractions (initial selections + 2 useful attractions), or
  • $3.14 per attraction on 7 attractions (initial selections + 2 useful attractions + Muppets + Star Tours)

Surferboy567

Hopefully we find out soon so we can finally put this to bed. @marni1971 even alluded to an announcement tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom