Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

BigThunderMatt

I do not think this change will last long. The hotels on the monorail all have the big spenders staying at them and they will be heard. Who every approved this one has a hole in thier head.

If the monorails are as behind on maintenance as I've heard, I think this is one change that, despite guest complaints, will not be reverted.

Quite frankly I could care less. The monorail is less reliable than the buses (which are pretty unreliable) and carries far fewer people than other forms of transport. Magic Kingdom in mind, the ferryboat may get a long line but one boat eats up considerably more of that line than any one monorail train can.

carly200

When was the last time you were at BG? I was there in 2009 and I was taken aback about how 'low' it was and reminded me of a six flags with a few animal exhibits sprinkled in.

I think it was late summer '09 too... towards Halloween, since some of the Halloween stuff was out already
I really liked how the park was in good shape; the people where friendly...

well, I also liked the attractions, that might have done a little about my impression as well.

I just thought the theming was great, and the upkeep of the park as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Disney enthusiast; But usually when I visit other parks/attraction I measure them against Disney... in that case I did it other way around...

what did you not like about BG?

(hm, maybe we should move such a discussion to a different thread... or maybe it is good to get people off the monorail topic ;-) )

flavious27

Never mind, found my answer in post 51 lol

Wouldn't blame you for not reading past the first 40 posts.

Disney just doesn't seem to care.

Which is part of the problem.

I do not think this change will last long. The hotels on the monorail all have the big spenders staying at them and they will be heard. Who every approved this one has a hole in thier head.

Yeah, but I would think that disney did research and found out if the biggest per cap spenders would complain.

celluloid

Seriously? If its that big of a deal, why not just rent a car?

That is a horrible way to look at it when a Disney difference kind of service is taken away from the paying guest. The person's complaint that you quoted is the same and just as valid as all the others.

They were in the wrong for doing this to guests and not planning accordingly.

draybook

Don't get me wrong, I am a big Disney enthusiast; But usually when I visit other parks/attraction I measure them against Disney... in that case I did it other way around...

We did the same thing when we went to US/IOA and Disney in December of 09. US/IOA was decorated better than the MK in our opinions. The cocoa and cookies are not worth the price to us.

menamechris

That is a horrible way to look at it when a Disney difference kind of service is taken away from the paying guest. The person's complaint that you quoted is the same and just as valid as all the others.

They were in the wrong for doing this to guests and not planning accordingly.

Again, would you rather the monorail continue to break down? Or would you like them to actually work on the monorail and give it the kind of maintenance it requires (and has been ignored for fear of this exact sort of reaction). The ironic thing- I have a feeling if we took a poll of how many people on here actually pay for a monorail resort - we would find not many actually do or will - but their point and opinion is so important. There are MANY other reasons to stay at one of these resort EXCEPT for the monorail during extra magic hours. Anyone who has actually stayed at one would probably agree. If they were cutting off all transportation during EMH, I could see the argument - but Disney is still going to get you where you need to be whether via boat or bus. I am seriously astounded at the outrage over something like this - when there are obviously more pressing issues going on at WDW...

draybook

You're right Draybook, I'm being a child right now and am oozing irony by continuing to post OT stuff in response to your posts. I'm sorry that I can't be a big boy and put my big boy pants on today, but perhaps tomorrow I will feel like my actual age and will address you in a PM like I told you to do with that other poster. I realize that I'm not in charge here, but I wanted to act like it. I hope we can still be friends after I've grown up.

No problem buddy, I totally understand. I'll pm you later when I get off of work and we can go out and have a beer or two! :wave:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Again, would you rather the monorail continue to break down? Or would you like them to actually work on the monorail and give it the kind of maintenance it requires (and has been ignored for fear of this exact sort of reaction). The ironic thing- I have a feeling if we took a poll of how many people on here actually pay for a monorail resort - we would find not many actually do or will - but their point and opinion is so important. There are MANY other reasons to stay at one of these resort EXCEPT for the monorail during extra magic hours. Anyone who has actually stayed at one would probably agree. If they were cutting off all transportation during EMH, I could see the argument - but Disney is still going to get you where you need to be whether via boat or bus. I am seriously astounded at the outrage over something like this - when there are obviously more pressing issues going on at WDW...

Well, I actually do stay at the monorail resorts exclusively, and I totally disagree with you on every one of your above points. To me, it's a pressing issue. It's called a difference of opinion. It happens.

Either way, my emails expressing my displeasure with this change in policy have been sent to guest services and various WDW executives. I will post any response if and when I receive one.

Tom

Beta Return

The monorail is a perk, and also a "weenie" in Walt's terms. It's a perk of staying at those 3 resorts...a perk which those guests are paying dearly for. It's also a weenie that encourages guests to stay at those 3 properties instead of one of the other Deluxe Resorts. They are taking away an amenity that is being specifically paid for by the guests of that resort. Yes, they're swapping out one mode of transportation for another, but I am paying extra to ride the monorail. I can ride a bus at one of the other 22 hotels.

As for the maintenance argument, that holds no water. I'm sure we'll never find out for sure, but I'd be willing to bet a chunk of change that Disney isn't going to have a crew working on each of the 11/12 trains every single night. Besides, the barn only holds 10 trains, which is why at least two stay out each night and park at a station.

What's the harm in running one train on the resort loop for another couple of hours while they work on the other 10 trains? Or keep one on Epcot and one on Resort on Epcot EMH nights, and work on the other 9. They can't possibly maintain all 12 trains at once, so why not devise a "compromise" plan that allows deluxe resort guests to ride at least one monorail back to their rooms?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As for the maintenance argument, that holds no water. I'm sure we'll never find out for sure, but I'd be willing to bet a chunk of change that Disney isn't going to have a crew working on each of the 11/12 trains every single night. Besides, the barn only holds 10 trains, which is why at least two stay out each night and park at a station.

What's the harm in running one train on the resort loop for another couple of hours while they work on the other 10 trains? Or keep one on Epcot and one on Resort on Epcot EMH nights, and work on the other 9. They can't possibly maintain all 12 trains at once, so why not devise a "compromise" plan that allows deluxe resort guests to ride at least one monorail back to their rooms?

Not to stick my head in the middle of this discussion, but I do believe the maintenance being conducted is not only on the trains, but the track as well. Which would of course mean nothing could be running while that work was being conducted....

Monorail_Orange

Not to stick my head in the middle of this discussion, but I do believe the maintenance being conducted is not only on the trains, but the track as well. Which would of course mean nothing could be running while that work was being conducted....

But again, then the resort monorail change should be temporary (i.e. fix the resort beam, then use your leftover trains to operate just the resort beam through EMH), all information right now states that this is a permanent change...the beams need THAT much work? Truly that sounds more like a complete replacement scenario than "maintanence." If this were purely temporoary, it wouldn't bother me, but the so called "permanent" change is what doesn't pass the smell test for me.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
But again, then the resort monorail change should be temporary (i.e. fix the resort beam, then use your leftover trains to operate just the resort beam through EMH), all information right now states that this is a permanent change...the beams need THAT much work? Truly that sounds more like a complete replacement scenario than "maintanence." If this were purely temporoary, it wouldn't bother me, but the so called "permanent" change is what doesn't pass the smell test for me.

From what has been stated here (and elsewhere) many of the "patches" that have been done throughout the various lines are all in need of repairs which would prevent the running of trains. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that was the impression I got.....:shrug:

Monorail_Orange

From what has been stated here (and elsewhere) many of the "patches" that have been done throughout the various lines are all in need of repairs which would prevent the running of trains. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that was the impression I got.....:shrug:

And let me be very clear, I'm not disputing that in the least. My point is more once they've made those repairs (even if that means several months of the monorail closing one hour after regular park close), shouldn't some monorail service be restored? Right now, that's not what TDO is saying, they are saying this is a permanent change, as in even after those beam issues are resolved, that just doesn't make sense.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And let me be very clear, I'm not disputing that in the least. My point is more once they've made those repairs (even if that means several months of the monorail closing one hour after regular park close), shouldn't some monorail service be restored? Right now, that's not what TDO is saying, they are saying this is a permanent change, as in even after those beam issues are resolved, that just doesn't make sense.

I guess much of that will depend on just how damaged the lines and/or the trains are.....:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom