Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

DonaldDoleWhip

No, I said it as a matter of fact. It's a part of life. Once many people have done it perhaps, and realize that taking a boat instead of the monorail hasn't ruined their vacation, perhaps they will accept it. Or - if they don't see the value in a hotel on the Seven Seas Lagoon anymore, they will just stay elsewhere. This is not ruining the magic of Disney, folks. It will affect most people MAYBE one night of their vacation. I guess I am saying - pick your battles. This is not one to get in hissy about...sorry..
People "get into a hissy" about the broken yeti, which affects about 5 seconds of their vacation. I'm not too upset about the yeti, but I can accept why others are. To me, this is a battle worth picking (and we're at WL and enjoying every second of it, buses and cheaper room rates and all).

Tom

Beta Return
Just my 2 cents.

The monorails are 1 of the major plusses of staying close to the MK and Epcot. It influenced our decision on the purchase of BLT for our DVC. We like to plan our trips well in advance so the 11 month window and being on a monorail resort worked well for us.

The problem is once again, we pay more and get less. The price goes up and the level of service declines. This has gone on now for many years. Little things, the loss of fireworks, decreased hours, the loss of fantasmic on a nightly basis, now the loss of easy refills on cups at the value resorts. I could list things on and on for hours. I dont want to bring up a debate on any 1 thing but simply illustrate the cuts that seem to never end.

We pay more every year and get less. On our recent trip, July 14-23, 2011 I talked to a coordinator at the MK bus area. We had an incident where a bus missed the Contemporary going to DHS. We asked 4 bus drivers where the bus was and it still managed to be over an hour to get there. Even after a driver asked the question and we heard the answer, 5 minutes.

I was also told that currently they are using contract busses and drivers. I actually saw a few of them. They DONT have enough to handle the current passenger load. How can we expect busses to handle extra passengers if they dont have enough to have the loads with a Monorail.

I also found out that they have 50 new busses coming this fall. THey also plan to hire some new drivers. If they can afford 50 busses, why not get 2 new monorails too. Certainly 1 monorail is cheaper to operate that the equivalent amount of busses. Cleaner for the environment too. If they were to purchase 2 new monorails, they could take the oldest out of service and overhaul it. "Give it a facelift". That certainly makes sense to me. With that they could complete update the entire fleet and never really upset the status quo.

I dont know what the answer is but I suspect the are considering their current decisions. With all the issues with transportation lately, they definately need to get back to what made Disney Parks what they are.

I am afraid that if they cut much more from their day to day operations, they will become just an average place, a fleeting memory of the more than exceptional powerhouse that it once was.

I am starting to get concerned with the direction of management on the level of service or apparent lack thereof.

Just my 2 cents. Not trying to upset anyone, just my POV

Well said.

Communicore

Right about now I am among a mob of tired and angry guests waiting to board at the MK station. The express is shut down and there were supposed to be Red and Blue on the resort line but Blue has broken down. Now Blue has arrived and there is a mad rush to board it!

Communicore

They have turned everyone away from Blue! Spoke too soon! Gotta wait for Red, the one and only monorail left! The crowd is extremely mad and the line is now all the way to the bottom!! As I type this Teal has arrived. This is pathetic!!!

Communicore

Boarded Teal and we are squeezed like a can of sardines. We are not going anywhere because guess what?? Blue is stalled in front of us and we could very well be stuck here for awhile!!!!

puntagordabob

Boarded Teal and we are squeezed like a can of sardines. We are not going anywhere because guess what?? Blue is stalled in front of us and we could very well be stuck here for awhile!!!!

All those years of doing just $barely$ what was required (rather than what they darn well knew was needed) is coming back to not only haunt TDO, but in fact everyone it seems...

Cosmic Commando

All those years of doing just $barely$ what was required (rather than what they darn well knew was needed) is coming back to not only haunt TDO, but in fact everyone it seems...

The movers and shakers in TDO were snuggled safely in their beds at 2:15 A.M.
this morning. They'll come in on Monday morning, when someone will tell them that there were serious monorail problems early Saturday morning. The response: "But they're working now, right? Good."

puntagordabob

this morning. They'll come in on Monday morning, when someone will tell them that there were serious monorail problems early Saturday morning. The response: "But they're working now, right? Good."

...Or the opposite...."those pesky monorails...Perhaps we should run less monorail trains.... and provide more busses!"

flavious27

Yeah, unless guests were smart enough to upload hundreds of photos of how bad it was.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
This is becoming comical at this point.

And I say that as someone who doesn't typically stay at a monorail resort, and therefore doesn't rely on it to get me back to the resort.

EvilQueen-T

Over on Dis boards there are 2,388 posts as of this moment on this very same topic....lol

this one had over 40,000 views so not surprised that either sites threads are still going. people are use to using the monorail, want things to go smoothly, and be available when they're coming and going to disney locations. i think we rely so much on the monorail just because in the past it was quick and easy. i'm REALLY interested in how things will run come next week when they stop the monorail before the end of emh at mk. i wonder how they'll do things when mnsshp and the christmas hard ticket events start????

Cosmic Commando

Yeah, unless guests were smart enough to upload hundreds of photos of how bad it was.
I think you would need something the local news could sink their teeth into, like a youtube video of someone being trampled (not that I'm recommending it). Pictures of a crowd can only look so bad unless there was a line of people waiting for the ferry back to the hub or something crazy like that. Even then, the average person is not going to understand what that means. They will understand "I might get trampled leaving Magic Kingdom after the fireworks." Crazy crowds happen all the time. I left MK right after MSEP (I know) in early May. The bus stop for Pop is the furthest away, and I'm not even kidding that the line for the bus reached nearly the entire length of the bus shelter. It was ridiculous! I was beside myself, but I was still on a bus in about 15 mins. If you took a picture of the line when I got in, while it would look bad, Disney would say something like, "We know that guests may experience waits during times of peak demand, but we do our best to minimize and blah blah..." If you want a real reaction from Disney, you need to embarrass them.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Can't believe this thread is still going.......

It's been a ridiculously slow news week, WDW wise.

And since D23 is fast approaching, I wouldn't expect any sort of announcements until then. Which means people will have very little to talk about, so we'll keep going around the circle with topics like this.

flavious27

I think you would need something the local news could sink their teeth into, like a youtube video of someone being trampled (not that I'm recommending it). Pictures of a crowd can only look so bad unless there was a line of people waiting for the ferry back to the hub or something crazy like that. Even then, the average person is not going to understand what that means. They will understand "I might get trampled leaving Magic Kingdom after the fireworks." Crazy crowds happen all the time. I left MK right after MSEP (I know) in early May. The bus stop for Pop is the furthest away, and I'm not even kidding that the line for the bus reached nearly the entire length of the bus shelter. It was ridiculous! I was beside myself, but I was still on a bus in about 15 mins. If you took a picture of the line when I got in, while it would look bad, Disney would say something like, "We know that guests may experience waits during times of peak demand, but we do our best to minimize and blah blah..." If you want a real reaction from Disney, you need to embarrass them.

Well if the local media showed an youtube video, it would probably be a family of like 6 from the nyc metro area with all of the kids in disney attire and under the age of 6. A video that would embarrass disney would be a stressed out cm telling guests they should just take a bus or walk, riding on the monorail isn't a right but a privilege.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Sheeple get treated like sheeple should...if you are reading this forum then you are not the average guest....Don't act like part of the herd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom