Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

thelookingglass

For those of you advocating complaining to Guest Services, in the unlikely event that a CM was fired for being disgruntled, who do you suppose is going to replace that CM?

Answer: another minimum-wage disgruntled employee.

You want better CMs, then get Disney to make their jobs more attractive by raising wages and fixing the management promotion system.

Until that happens, you'll continue to see larger numbers of CMs who are only working at WDW because "it's just a job until something better comes along."
But to make that happen, enough complaints need to happen for Disney to realize there is a problem and take action.
This thread is way off track. :shrug:
you know what else is off track? the monorails during evening EMH!

DonaldDoleWhip

And those 100's of posts mostly represent the handful that just want to complain about everything. Complaints become very watered down when they are trivial things. Complain about park quality, lack of attractions, service but to complain about something that honestly adversely affects ZERO people is just missing the point. Like I said, u can just as quickly take a bus, boat or walk.
Don't generalize. For me, this was one of the most upsetting stories I've ever read on wdwmagic. I'm a frequent monorail resort guest, and the fact that the monorails have become so unreliable that guests won't have access to them during EMH is saddening. And it directly affects my vacation, to the point that we actually stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Swan instead of GF recently (for basically half the price) and had an amazing time.

And no, you can't say the people on this particular thread complain about everything. I complain about the things that most upset me. I've never complained about the yeti being broken (even though I ride EE quite often and saw it once or twice in A-mode), I don't complain about Pleasure Island, Imagination, Wonders of Life, DHS or AK being half-day parks, MK not receiving an E-ticket in over 20 years, etc. But this was a priority to me, and you have no right to take that away just because you have a different opinion. For us, a huge part of the $400-500 a night that the monorail resorts charge is having access to the monorail whenever I want it (during reasonable operating hours). If I have to take a bus/boat when I actually need the transport, I might as well stay at a cheaper but just as nice hotel.

71jason

yes, which means there are many people who are self centered in thinking their dinner reservations or inability to get on a monorail, when they are provided clear alternatives, are more important than the safety and happiness of millions of other guests.

ppl need to get OVER themselves and look at the big picture.

Sorry old message board friend, but I had my first real life experience with this issue this week, and the alternatives are far from "clear." Met a family staying at CR who had dinner with the fireworks at Narcooses, I'm guessing a 10 pm ADR. Tried to catch a monorail around 11:15, service had already stopped because MK closed at 10. Asked a manager (a friendly acquaintance of mine), she paused, then suggested maybe they could boat to MK, then walk to CR. That is not a true alternative at 11:15 at night, and it was obvious management had not been briefed on this potential issue. Things were fine in the busy season with service to midnight, but once service cuts off at 10 pm, there are going to be a lot more problems. As we've discussed plenty of times in various PI threads, not every WDW guest is tucked in at 9 pm.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sorry old message board friend, but I had my first real life experience with this issue this week, and the alternatives are far from "clear." Met a family staying at CR who had dinner with the fireworks at Narcooses, I'm guessing a 10 pm ADR. Tried to catch a monorail around 11:15, service had already stopped because MK closed at 10. Asked a manager (a friendly acquaintance of mine), she paused, then suggested maybe they could boat to MK, then walk to CR. That is not a true alternative at 11:15 at night, and it was obvious management had not been briefed on this potential issue. Things were fine in the busy season with service to midnight, but once service cuts off at 10 pm, there are going to be a lot more problems. As we've discussed plenty of times in various PI threads, not every WDW guest is tucked in at 9 pm.

I think this story perfectly illustrates both sides of the argument.

You are exactly right, a boat to MK, then walking to the CR is not much of an option at 11:15 at night. In fact, if it was my family I would be VERY aggravated.

However, is it really worth running the monorails and keeping them open to accommodate one family with a late dinner? I realize it probably affected more people then that one family. But at what number does it stop being smart and efficient to run the monorails.

They should have never let the monorails deteriorate to this point in the first place.

COProgressFan

yes, which means there are many people who are self centered in thinking their dinner reservations or inability to get on a monorail, when they are provided clear alternatives, are more important than the safety and happiness of millions of other guests.

ppl need to get OVER themselves and look at the big picture.

The big picture is that the value, service and quality of WDW has deteriorated over the years.

The monorail issue likely wouldn't be an issue at all if everything else at WDW was running perfect (which clearly it is not), and if preventative maintenance was taking place in the first place.

talonstruck

When we were there from the 14th till the 20th, we did not encounter one disgruntled or poor cast member. We did not stay at a Monorail Resort, basically because we couldn't afford to, but went out of our way from Riverside to ride the Monorails at least twice a day, just because I love the monorails. Never had an issue with the monorails, and we hit them at different times of the day and night on both the Epcot spur and Resort Spur. I did notice when we left at 1159pm from the Magic Kingdom on the 19th which was a EMH night at the magic kingdom, We had a private ride on the monorail around the whole loop, then where joined by maybe 5 people when we returned to the magic kingdom. So in my eyes was it really worth it to keep the Monorail open for like the 9 people that were riding it? As for "paying" for the monorail at the monorail resort, I do get it, i understand some peoples beef, but would you still be making the same complaint if they discontinue the Electric Water Pageant that a vast majority of resorts on site don't get the pleasure of seeing?

menamechris

So what would you have done during the winter months when the MK closes at 7? Probably the same thing...

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
So what would you have done during the winter months when the MK closes at 7? Probably the same thing...

The MK very rarely closes at 7, unless it's a party night.

Also, they weren't visiting during the winter months, they were visiting during the summer when everything is pretty much expected to stay open later.

71jason

The MK very rarely closes at 7, unless it's a party night.

Have you seen the schedule? There are a lot of party nights--they're the new DVC, it seems. ;)

In any case, even 11:00 is early by any reasonable standard, especially with fireworks at 10. The monorail restaurants in question are not fast food joints, over an hour for dinner is the norm, especially with the "fuzzy" reservation system.

I think this story perfectly illustrates both sides of the argument.

You are exactly right, a boat to MK, then walking to the CR is not much of an option at 11:15 at night. In fact, if it was my family I would be VERY aggravated.

However, is it really worth running the monorails and keeping them open to accommodate one family with a late dinner? I realize it probably affected more people then that one family. But at what number does it stop being smart and efficient to run the monorails.

They should have never let the monorails deteriorate to this point in the first place.

If you aren't going to run the monorails--despite four decades of precedent--you need to inform people of that when they make their ADRs, then also make sure the Narcoosees maitre d' is aware of the issue and can politely approach guests staying at a monorail resort to tell them this and offer a potential solution (including comping the meal if they have to skip dessert to catch the last monorail). Taking their money for a hotel and dinner, letting them walk up to a closed monorail station, then shrugging your shoulders and suggesting a boatride to a 15-minute walk...unacceptable for a 1-star, let alone an alleged 4-star resort.

Totally agree on your last point, tho. With basic upkeep--say nothing of Disney-level upkeep--this should not have been a problem.

das texan

Oh this sucks!

And I agree, this is really something Disney should communicate with guests when they make reservations. Going out for my first trip to the resorts in about 10 years. Now I learn of this?

This wont go over well, especially since I'm staying in GF specifically for the monorail. Awesome!

castlecake2.0

So Im confused, I guess I missed the part when making my reservation telling me that the monorail is going to be operating at any time I wish? Transportation is being provided to Guests in form of water craft and motorcaoch, although some people may feel this isnt as "magical", these are the transportation methods available.

DonaldDoleWhip

So Im confused, I guess I missed the part when making my reservation telling me that the monorail is going to be operating at any time I wish? Transportation is being provided to Guests in form of water craft and motorcaoch, although some people may feel this isnt as "magical", these are the transportation methods available.
It's called 40 years of precedent. Barring a random or emergency shutdown (which didn't occur very often until recently), the monorail was basically always there to transport guests to/from MK and Epcot during those parks' operating hours (including EMH, which is when I personally need the monorails). Now, that's not the case. If I see less value in the monorail resorts because of it, and choose to stay at Wilderness Lodge or Swan (significantly cheaper resorts) as a result, that's my choice. I have no requirement to stay at a more expensive resort if I don't feel I'm getting what I paid for, especially when there are deluxe (or deluxe-equivalent) resorts that cost around 50% less.

Tom

Beta Return
To keep the thread somewhat relevant, I'll offer my personal, first-hand experience with a trip back to the Poly after MK EMH this Sunday night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom