Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

71jason

So Im confused, I guess I missed the part when making my reservation telling me that the monorail is going to be operating at any time I wish?

Clearly you are--did you even read my anecdote? There's a huge difference between "any time I wish" and "while the parks/restuarants/lounges along the monorail line are still open." Your straw man argument is invalid.

Transportation is being provided to Guests in form of water craft and motorcaoch...

No, it's not in all cases, as I explained. No way to catch a boat or bus from GF to CR, for instance.

I know I said somewhere 75 pages back or so people were concentrating too much on the MK--the real impact is on those guests who enjoy shopping and dining at the resorts. This rash plan did not take them into account.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Clearly you are--did you even read my anecdote? There's a huge difference between "any time I wish" and "while the parks/restuarants/lounges along the monorail line are still open." Your straw man argument is invalid.

No, it's not in all cases, as I explained. No way to catch a boat or bus from GF to CR, for instance.

I know I said somewhere 75 pages back or so people were concentrating too much on the MK--the real impact is on those guests who enjoy shopping and dining at the resorts. This rash plan did not take them into account.

Take the boat from the GF to the MK and make the 5 minute walk. It's not impossible at all.

Tom

Beta Return
Time for me to provide my personal opinion on this, after having experienced it first hand tonight.

We're staying at the Poly right now, and we took advantage of MK ENH tonight. I grabbed a hot dog from Casey's and enjoyed it while the crowd poured out of the park after EMH.

At 12:15 we headed to the Poly Resort Launch. The line, even then, was 3-4 boats away from us getting on. So, we went to the ferry instead. We arrived at the TTC at about 12:30 and then had to walk to the Hawaii building (another 10 minutes).

So, this was a roughly 25 minute process. Last night, we left the MK after Wishes (normal closing time) and rode the monorail back to the Poly. After waiting for 3 monorails, then stopping at the Contemp and TTC, it was at least 25 minutes.

So, compared 1:1, we didn't lose any time using the "new" system, but we were severely inconvenienced. Had we waited for a launch, we would have stood there for another 20-30 minutes while waiting for 3-4 boats to come. So instead we took the mass-transit ferry, but then had to hoof it back to our room, after an entire day of hoofing it.

So, I will indeed say that, for what I'm paying to stay here, I definitely feel that monorail service to my lobby is the least they could offer. The launches don't cut it. The ferry plus walking is not what I prefer for $300+/night.

Hopefully this is temporary. I DID see a tractor running around the resort or express loop while we were waiting for our boats home, so they ARE taking advantage of the time to work on the beam. Here's hoping they get everything fixed and correct this serious blunder in guest service.

Caveat: They definitely can't be accused of not warning anyone of the canceled service. They have big signs at every single entry and exit ramp from monorail stations indicating that the trains stop 1 hour after REGULAR closing time. The pilots also come on the speaker when nearing the MK during the evening hours and remind everyone of the alternate transportation options.

DonaldDoleWhip

So, compared 1:1, we didn't lose any time using the "new" system, but we were severely inconvenienced. Had we waited for a launch, we would have stood there for another 20-30 minutes while waiting for 3-4 boats to come. So instead we took the mass-transit ferry, but then had to hoof it back to our room, after an entire day of hoofing it.

So, I will indeed say that, for what I'm paying to stay here, I definitely feel that monorail service to my lobby is the least they could offer. The launches don't cut it. The ferry plus walking is not what I prefer for $300+/night.
Thank you very much for your input. I feel the same way. I'm absolutely fine dealing with the bus/boat from MK...when I'm paying WL prices or at least at an Epcot resort since they offer the convenient boat/walkway to 2 other parks. But a huge part of monorail resort appeal (to me) is currently gone, and while it doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world, it takes away some of the value of those resorts to me.

Seriously, the other deluxe resorts have lots of things going for them. WL/AKL have the most elaborate theming, YC/BC have the best pool, BW has the best nighttime activities, Swan/Dolphin offer deluxe amenities (including EMH) for a much better price, the Epcot resorts have the most central location overall, and the monorail resorts...are old and have monorail service.

Scuttle

It does sound like there making good progress. Hopefully the refurb will be done in couple months. I have still been told that this is actually temporary just no end refurb date yet.

71jason

Take the boat from the GF to the MK and make the 5 minute walk. It's not impossible at all.

Not "impossible," but very inconvenient with kids at 11:30 pm after a meal. Not what's expected of a 3- or 4-star resort--or what used to be expected of the Disney name.

Tom

Beta Return
Not "impossible," but very inconvenient with kids at 11:30 pm after a meal. Not what's expected of a 3- or 4-star resort--or what used to be expected of the Disney name.

Exactly. We did it last night, but after a day in the parks, the last thing you want is another 10-15 minute walk back to your room after standing in line for a boat and then on the boat for 10 minutes.

It's just simply not very courteous to the guests staying at their flagship resorts. Even one or two resort trains would get the job done. The other 10 can sit in the barn and get worked on. And they can work on the resort beam the other 5-6 nights of the week.

Communicore

Yesterday was an early EMH, started at 9, but the Wishes did not end until maybe 9:20 - and by that time it ended the monorails only had 40 minutes! Since this was an early EMH there were still a lot of people. I was a All-Star yesterday so I did not need the monorail.

Phantom Mickey

Maintenance Issues, long time coming

The monorails have long been a favorite for me. Personally, I liked the MK IV's better then the current box cars ( MK VI ) that run the beam.

I am familiar with electrical items, and that is some of the MONORAILS concerns.
When the monorails were new, with shiney copper bars for the 600vdc and those red insulators against a background of white cement, the whole rail looked clean and operable. One point of concern I had was that those nice red insulators were rated for 480v, not 600v. Over time I watched the red insulators turn from bright red to dull grey as they weathered. I might mention, those insulators are supposed to be inside, not in the weather. Insulators used in the weather are usually ceramic or glass.

As those nice red insulators weather, they turn a rough grey color and are subject to shorting or flash overs. If you have glanced up and noticed that amongst the many now greying insulators you see a bright red one, its because the insulator that was replaced failed or flashed over because the weather has broken down the media used for insulation.

That brings us up to today. The Copper bars don't usually wear, maybe needing to be polished but it is highly likely that all those little red insulators need to be replaced on all the beams.

Comment was made as to why they did not just close down one beam and run the other. the simple answer is, SAFETY. Those copper bars have 600vdc in them and workers would be very close to them. It just is not a safe working environment.

The trains are getting old as well. DisneyLand just went through the problem of Monorails ( MK V ) breaking down all the time and now have the new MK VII monorails. ( no air con )... the MK VI at WDW are starting to show age and beginning to break down like the MK V's did.

though I don't agree with the schedule change the DISNEY bean counters have come up with, I do agree the maintenance is long over due, what ever the cause.

the recent article in Mice Chat 08/30/2011, talks about the Monorails being shut down early and the terribly long lines waiting for an hour or longer for the ferry , irritated guests ( with actual heated encounters ) and little if any Disney Security to keep the peace. After an hour waiting, they walked off to to the Grand Floridian dock to wait another hour for the ferry.
Guests that had planned to take the monorail to the hotel were angry and agitated.

If you want the full scoop, you should see the article.

As for permanent or temporary... I am not an employee but it sounds like it will be permanent until the Monorails are eventually replaced. If this may be so, we can no longer plan on using the Monorail for transportation after the park closes.

Quote from Mice Chat article.......

I guess the moral of the story is:
1. Don't pay for a room on the Monorail, until it is running normally again.
2. Don't stay until park close for fear you might be stuck for hours on end.
3. If you are stuck, just wait until almost everyone else has been ferried across, before you go, so that you can avoid angry guests.

87 GN

I was in the world last week and saw them working after hours. I noticed the beams are being cleaned around MK, also saw alott of fresh cement patch work on the epcot beams while heading back to MK from HS on the bus. It does look like the extra work hours they are able to generate by shutting down early are being taken advantage of, they are making progress.

Pics of the cleaned beams
P1040572.jpg

P1040461.jpg

mgpan

Running for MNSSHP

Haven't seen this posted yet but apparently the monorail work was needed after after regular park close and during evening EMH this past week, but running just fine and not needed during MNSSHP. In other words, apparently when you're paying $300-400+ a night for a monorail resort room you aren't entitled (paying enough) to have monorail service for EMH. However, If you're paying the extra cash for a party ticket, apparently maintenance can wait.

COProgressFan

Haven't seen this posted yet but apparently the monorail work was needed after after regular park close and during evening EMH this past week, but running just fine and not needed during MNSSHP. In other words, apparently when you're paying $300-400+ a night for a monorail resort room you aren't entitled (paying enough) to have monorail service for EMH. However, If you're paying the extra cash for a party ticket, apparently maintenance can wait.

This highlights exactly what some of the problem was to begin with. Poor communication by Disney on when/where/why the monorail service changes were taking place in the first place. Give guests a clear schedule of when work is to take place and when the work is expected to be completed and people would be happier. It is unclear at this point whetherthe monorail will close during the rest of the party nights this year. They're just not saying (publicly) or don't quite know themselves.

googilycub

Sigh.

Tom

Beta Return

You're preaching to the choir (at least with me). I echo your thoughts wholeheartedly.

By definition, the park closes the minute MNSSHP starts, since the park is closed to the general public at that moment. Monorails should run for an hour and then stop, just like they do at an hour into EMH.

If they're running monorails through the entire party, that's a slap in the face to Monorail Resort guests.

Clamman73

This highlights exactly what some of the problem was to begin with. Poor communication by Disney on when/where/why the monorail service changes were taking place in the first place. Give guests a clear schedule of when work is to take place and when the work is expected to be completed and people would be happier.

Yeah....I don't understand why Disney didn't come out and say we have to reduce hours of the monorails to service the beams in order to provide a more reliable monorail experience. Sry for the inconvenience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom