Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

njDizFan

If Coke tasted like ______, I wouldn't keep buying more Coke and hope they change it back. I would stop buying Coke.
But what if you still really liked Coke, and in comparison it was still better than it's competitors but wished they would bring back the original forumla.

peachykeen

what year did monorails start running the resort rails for EPCOT emh? You guys have to account for that in these calculations of operating hours(which, btw, I find quite interesting). If EPCOT is open for EMH, resort rails were running.

Disney makes a lot of budgetary decisions, sure, but I can't see how this was budgetary. From what I've been told, there is an extremely long list of things to be done to the monorails. They DO have 11 of them to do consistent maintenance on. Perhaps this influences why they have given no end date.

Also from a cost perspective, I don't know what the electricity costs to run monorails, but from a labor stand point, they are not saving much. In lieu of what 3 trains running on resort loop during EMH(3 pilots + 5 platforms + central, coordinator, and breakers), they are running 2 launches and 2 ferryboats.(8 pilots, coordinator, and breakers) you're talking a couple people difference in operational need. Boats burn gas, monorails burn electricity, so I can't see how, for the little amount of time they are being down, it's making a big difference cost wise. Just my opinion of course.

This change is costing Monorails a huge amount each week. I know the numbers but will not share them here, but suffice to say that the cost of renting the buses and boats as well as the people doing the maintenance on the trains and beams is a big expense and is definitely NOT saving the department any money. So for all the arguments going on about this change, "cost savings" is the least valid.

devoy1701

This change is costing Monorails a huge amount each week. I know the numbers but will not share them here, but suffice to say that the cost of renting the buses and boats as well as the people doing the maintenance on the trains and beams is a big expense and is definitely NOT saving the department any money. So for all the arguments going on about this change, "cost savings" is the least valid.

renting buses and boats?

peachykeen

renting buses and boats?

Yep. Monorails (as a department) actually has to PAY to rent the buses, and its not a cheap rate either. I've always said, the way that each department nickles-and-dimes each other is ridiculous, we work for the same company! But I digress.....

Each bus that is used during EMH to run between MK/WL/PO/GF is paid for by Monorails.

Pioneer Hall

Yep. Monorails (as a department) actually has to PAY to rent the buses, and its not a cheap rate either. I've always said, the way that each department nickles-and-dimes each other is ridiculous, we work for the same company! But I digress.....

Each bus that is used during EMH to run between MK/WL/PO/GF is paid for by Monorails.

Every big company seems to work that way though. It was no different when I was working at one of the major investment banks. Every cost center has their budget and they change the other one. If my computer had to be repaired then my cost center paid the tech dept to do it. Funny how it works, but it is the only way to make sure that each area keeps to their budget.

Also, WL always has buses that run to and from the MK.

peachykeen

Every big company seems to work that way though. It was no different when I was working at one of the major investment banks. Every cost center has their budget and they change the other one. If my computer had to be repaired then my cost center paid the tech dept to do it. Funny how it works, but it is the only way to make sure that each area keeps to their budget.

Yes this is true but I think "Transportation" would have fallen under the same cost center. But like I said, I digress.

But now the WL bus also stops at Contemporary so we are absorbing that extra stop.

Kamikaze

Yes this is true but I think "Transportation" would have fallen under the same cost center. But like I said, I digress.

But now the WL bus also stops at Contemporary so we are absorbing that extra stop.

Yeah, I never realized that monorails and buses were a different department, I thought transport was all the same division.

devoy1701

Cool. Thanks for the insight. The way you worded it with "renting" threw me off, but I know exactly what you mean as I deal with cost centers regularly when I travel for my company for different reasons. I also would not have thought that Buses fell under a different Cost Center than Monorails, but then again, each method of transportation has very large fleets in perspective, so I guess it would be understandable that buses would be accounted for separately.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes

well that's even more data for my argument then. Saying this is a move to save the company money while charging guests more isn't valid. Glad to have the extra info on my side :animwink:

BigThunderMatt

Yeah, I never realized that monorails and buses were a different department, I thought transport was all the same division.

Monorails, busses, and watercraft are all separate independent divisions of the larger transportation operations line of business. The same can be said of most lines of business. Not all attractions at Magic Kingdom fall under one "attractions" banner, per se. Attractions are grouped into subgroups each with their own management team.

Very few lines of business are directly in charge of any one specific facet of that line of business.

jakeman

But what if you still really liked Coke, and in comparison it was still better than it's competitors but wished they would bring back the original forumla.
Why would I drink ______ Coke just because it is what I was used to?

If I don't like ______ Coke, then I don't buy ______ Coke.

devoy1701

i get the analogy, but I think there are major differences between vacationing at a theme park versus drinking a coke. One being (as I mentioned many times) noticing the declining degrees of the experience doesn't necessarily equate to having a terrible vacation.

jakeman

i get the analogy, but I think there are major differences between vacationing at a theme park versus drinking a coke. One being (as I mentioned many times) noticing the declining degrees of the experience doesn't necessarily equate to having a terrible vacation.
Not to the corporation.

In one case they have your money. In another, they don't.

Which do you think they care more about?

njDizFan

The analogy is slightly flawed but I still don't think the OPs understands my response. You still drink the __________ coke because you still prefer it over all of it's competitiors but you wish they would bring back the original forumla. that is why Coke is still getting your beverage $$$s

flynnibus

Premium Member
Simple.. if you think WDW has become new coke... goto Disneyland for the original blend or go on a Disney Cruise to get the real good new stuff

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom