Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

captainkidd

Because we like having the freedom of leaving at our whim, and it's a habit. On our first trip we weren't on the dining plan so we just went back to the car to eat lunch.

But driving, your STILL not on your own whim any more than if you take the bus. You still have to get back to the TTC, whether it be by monorail or ferry. You're still relying on Disney Transportation. And then, depending on where you parked or how tired you are, you may have to depend on the tram. It would be much faster just to take the bus. Why anyone would go back to their car to eat lunch is beyond me. If you want to bring your lunch, they allow you to do so in the park. Why go back to your car?

I think the point people are making is it will affect those staying at the monorail resorts more because they are paying for the privlage of the monorail. They're not making a choice - They're being forced into something. You're making a choice to make things more complicated for yourself than it needs to be.

captainkidd

aren't we all, in reality, paying for disney transportation including the monorail?

The 3 most expensive resorts on Disney property are on the monorail line. The people staying at those resorts are paying for the convenience of having the monorail. If you're staying at any other resort, you're not paying for monorail convenience.

captainkidd

I'm not dancing around your point - I simply disagree with it. Yes, you will be impacted by a few minutes, but in the grand scheme of things I believe you will be far less impacted by the monorail closure than monorail resort guests, and you're paying far less anyway for your accommodation, and you have no official reason to use the monorail to get to and from the parks since you still have the bus that's always been provided to you. As a monorail resort guest, I feel almost wronged by this decision. If I were staying at a non-monorail resort (as I will be doing in a few days), I would be indifferent.

Exactly. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this.

Obi

sent an email to the folks at disney asking them if the difference in price, from the other deluxe resorts, is mainly due to the convenience of using the monorail. i also asked if there were other contributing factors in the difference in price and if they were the main reason for the difference or just smaller factors.

draybook

I think the point people are making is it will affect those staying at the monorail resorts more because they are paying for the privlage of the monorail. They're not making a choice - They're being forced into something. You're making a choice to make things more complicated for yourself than it needs to be.

So, can you tell me which caliber of gun is being held to their heads to make them choose a monorail resort?

captainkidd

So, can you tell me which caliber of gun is being held to their heads to make them choose a monorail resort?

Obviously, no one is "forcing" them to choose any resort. I meant guests who choose to pay to stay at a monorail resort are now being forced to get around by alternate means. As a guest of Pop Century, you're not being forced to get around any differently, and by any other means than what you are paying for (bus). However, the monorail and it's services, during park hours AND Extra Magic Hours has always been a perk for those willing to shell out the cash to stay at a monorail resort.

It's not a perk for those staying at a non-monorail resort. It's their right to ride it if they want to, but Disney has never promoted the monorail to any resort other than the 3 on the line.

devoy1701

sent an email to the folks at disney asking them if the difference in price, from the other deluxe resorts, is mainly due to the convenience of using the monorail. i also asked if there were other contributing factors in the difference in price and if they were the main reason for the difference or just smaller factors.

All of that is available on their website or on the fact sheets on this website and others like allears.net. The most expensive Deluxe resorts are on the Monorail Line (Contemp, Poly, GF), followed by the Boardwalk Area Resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht, Beach). This is because of transportation options and proximity to the parks.

The Monorail resorts have ease of access to 2 theme parks via the monorail, and are adjacent to the flagship park. You can literally be taken from the Poly or GF to MK in about 3 mins.

Boardwalk area resorts are also within close proximity to 2 theme parks, yet they don't have monorail access, and they aren't close to MK.

The other deluxes, WL and AKL only have ease of access to one park, even though WL has water transportation. Hence why they are the cheapest of the Deluxe resorts.

So looking at the 3 sets of deluxes, the only differentiating factor between set one and two is that set one is close to MK and has Monorail access...which means those 2 factors go into the rack rates for the rooms of those resorts.

draybook

Where are these promotions at? I've never seen anything that said "hey, you people staying at the monorail resorts, we've got a monorail for you"!

Obi

i'm not on one side or the other of this issue...

i'm just trying to figure out if that much of an increase to stay at one of the resorts along the monorail line is strictly because of the monorail or if there are other perks that go along with staying at one of these resorts...

when i was booking my reservations i did check out disney's website. they did have the amenities pages that showed what was offered and so on. a lot of the deluxes were the same in this area. however, there were some differences too, although minor ones. things like a newspaper left at your door every morning is for some of the deluxe resorts but not all.

this is the reason i sent the email. trying to find out from disney if the huge difference in price was due to the convenience of the monorail.

captainkidd

Where are these promotions at? I've never seen anything that said "hey, you people staying at the monorail resorts, we've got a monorail for you"!

Are you serious? Newsflash - A benefit of staying at the Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin is that it's within walking distance to Epcot. By all means, feel free to take a bus from any park to one of those resorts to enjoy the stroll to Epcot. Why anyone would want to do this when the bus from their own resort drops them off at the front gate is kind of bewildering, but whatever floats your boat.

But if you insist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSVDFJ8GDw
24 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSY5JrBvxo
1:00 mark

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hotels/?sortBy=nG:hasResortCategoryFacet&fv_78513=on
Click on transportation options, then click on monorail. That should clear up any confusion for you.

draybook

However, the monorail and it's services, during park hours AND Extra Magic Hours has always been a perk for those willing to shell out the cash to stay at a monorail resort.

It's not a perk for those staying at a non-monorail resort. It's their right to ride it if they want to, but Disney has never promoted the monorail to any resort other than the 3 on the line.

Are you serious? Newsflash - A benefit of staying at the Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin is that it's within walking distance to Epcot. By all means, feel free to take a bus from any park to one of those resorts to enjoy the stroll to Epcot. Why anyone would want to do this when the bus from their own resort drops them off at the front gate is kind of bewildering, but whatever floats your boat.

But if you insist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSVDFJ8GDw
24 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSY5JrBvxo
1:00 mark

I'm waiting for something telling me that us peons weren't intended to use the monorail during EMH. Yes, it's a perk for those on the resort line but if the monorails were open to all on site guests during EMH, then it affects all of those guests. That's as cut and dry as it gets, no emotions, just facts.

However, I've already admitted that the monorail perk is part of the price, but isn't another perk of the resort line the location? I don't know about you but I can't see the MK from my room at Pop.

Uncle Lupe

Those videos only state access to the park, never operating hours or a guarantee to get you back to you resort all hours of the night. Most the recent posts that I have read are coming off as I am better then you because I pay more for my room. So Disney owes me something for slashing the monorail hours and making me take a filthy bus with the peasants.

All the attractions are not available during EMH so why would all modes or transportation?

devoy1701

I'm waiting for something telling me that us peons weren't intended to use the monorail during EMH. Yes, it's a perk for those on the resort line but if the monorails were open to all on site guests during EMH, then it affects all of those guests. That's as cut and dry as it gets, no emotions, just facts.

However, I've already admitted that the monorail perk is part of the price, but isn't another perk of the resort line the location? I don't know about you but I can't see the MK from my room at Pop.

This has already been acknowledged. Monorail and proximity to MK are two main factors that go into the cost of the Monorail resorts.

Those videos only state access to the park, never operating hours or a guarantee to get you back to you resort all hours of the night. Most the recent posts that I have read are coming off as I am better then you because I pay more for my room. So Disney owes me something for slashing the monorail hours and making me take a filthy bus with the peasants.

All the attractions are not available during EMH so why would all modes or transportation?

I don't get that impression that people are being snooty about it. It's clear that the cost of the monorail resorts is related to having access to the monorails and you have a reasonable expectation that if you are staying at a Monorail resort, you should be able to utilize the monorail during your visit to get to and from the parks. I don't think your analogy of attractions and transportation modes during EMH works here as again, the monorail service directly to your resort isn't available to all onsite guests in the first place so it doesn't impact everyone attending EMH.

While Draybook will continue to argue just for the sake of arguing, it is perfectly acceptable to say that in most cases, if you are staying at one of the Value Resorts or one of the Moderate Resorts, you will not be inconvenienced by this management decision like those who are staying at a Monorail Resort.

draybook

While Draybook will continue to argue just for the sake of arguing, it is perfectly acceptable to say that in most cases, if you are staying at one of the Value Resorts or one of the Moderate Resorts, you will not be inconvenienced by this management decision like those who are staying at a Monorail Resort.

Please inform me on the difference in inconvenience between a Pop guest like me and someone staying at the GF. All I've heard is people yapping about how my inconvenience is "minor" compared to theirs. Well, I can't understand how that is if nobody wants to explain the process.

devoy1701

Please inform me on the difference in inconvenience between a Pop guest like me and someone staying at the GF. All I've heard is people yapping about how my inconvenience is "minor" compared to theirs. Well, I can't understand how that is if nobody wants to explain the process.

Because most of the guests who stay at a Value Resort (or any non MK Resort) get to the MK via bus. When they leave the MK, most of the guests who stay at a Value resort will exist the turnstyles and head east to the bus loading area and board their bus back their Value Resort.

The majority of Value Resort guests do not drive their cars to the MK parking lot (if they even have a car with them) and get to MK via the Monorail. Hence, the majority of Value Resort guests do not rely upon the Monorail as a means to get them to and from the MK.

People that stay at a MK area Monorail Resort do infact rely most heavily upon the Monorail to get them to and from the MK. Hence, they are more greatly impacted.

It's not rocket science.

Uncle Lupe

I had the impression that the theme park views and elaborate theming was the reason the price difference in resorts. If you want a park view at any resort you are going to pay more. What are the park views from Wilderness Lodge like?

Kamikaze

Because you are, as a Pop Guest, entitled to bus service to MK. This change does not change that service. Just because you are choosing your own transportation method does not make it somehow Disney's fault that choosing your own method of transportation is inconvenienced when they have already supplied you with an easier, more efficient method of getting to the park. If you choose to make the trip more difficult, that is your fault, not Disney's.

Thats the difference. People at the monorail resorts are not choosing to take a different transportation method. They are having that choice enforced on them.

I had the impression that the theme park views and elaborate theming was the reason the price difference in resorts. If you want a park view at any resort you are going to pay more. What are the park views from Wilderness Lodge like?

The WL does not offer theme park views. It is too far away for that.

devoy1701

There aren't any catagories for Theme Park view at WL.

And we're talking about base price points at these resorts, not theme park views, or garden views, or woods views, or standard. The base prices for the cheapest rooms at each of those resorts vary because of proximity to the parks, which park they are closest to, and ease of access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom