Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

freediverdude

That will be a cold boat ride back to Grand Floridian or Polynesian late at night during the winter, or making those people get on buses. I think they will get some complaints once the weather gets cold. I certainly would be a bit miffed to be paying those prices and have that happen.

captainkidd

So if they have 1 line that supports people from offsite or non monorail hotels, then the people that use them are affected, correct? And those same people are also paying for the privilege of using the monorails, right?

So I understand that people at the resort loop are getting reamed by this decision, but to say that they're the only ones affected is incorrect. They make the choice to stay there, just like I make the choice to drive to the MK.

Kidd, I understand what you're talking about, but I'm sure it doesn't say that only the resort loop people are able to use the monorails after park closing, does it?

Another reason we like to drive ourselves is that when we're in our own car, we can go straight off site if need be, such as a Steak N Shake run or maybe to Walgreens.

One thing you're forgetting here - Offsite guests aren't allowed to attend Extra Magic Hours, so it doesn't affect them in the least.

As for the non-monorail resorts, as has been said time and time again, it is your choice to drive to the Magic Kingdom. You could easily take the bus, which is what you pay for when staying at Pop Century. Monorail Resort guests are paying a premium for monorail access. They are actually losing out on something.

On a personal level, I think after park hours (or resort restaurant hours) the resort line should be reserved just for guests staying at a monorail resort. I know that sounds snobbish, but really, it's no different than someone staying off-site parking their car at any Disney Resort just to use the bus system. Non-monorail guests should only use the TTC line after hours. But, that's my opinion and not the way it is.

EvilQueen-T

well if nothing else maybe more people will leave the park before the monorail stops running and the rest of us will have shorter wait times for the last two hours of emh :shrug:

Kamikaze

On a personal level, I think after park hours (or resort restaurant hours) the resort line should be reserved just for guests staying at a monorail resort. I know that sounds snobbish, but really, it's no different than someone staying off-site parking their car at any Disney Resort just to use the bus system. Non-monorail guests should only use the TTC line after hours. But, that's my opinion and not the way it is.

The simple fix, of course, would be to run only the resort line after park closing+1 for those additional two hours.

fosse76

From a Disney resort transportation standpoint, Disney has done nothing wrong to you. You're paying $80-100 a night and you still receive the bus service that's always been offered to you.

Well, that may or may not be true. Unless Disney has purchased additional buses (or use buses that would typically be out of service for the night), the buses now being used at the Deluxe monorail resorts will have to come from the buses that generally would be servicing non-monorail resorts, so it CAN have an effect. The bus service is inadequate already, this only makes iot worse.

DonaldDoleWhip

Well, that may or may not be true. Unless Disney has purchased additional buses (or use buses that would typically be out of service for the night), the buses now being used at the Deluxe monorail resorts will have to come from the buses that generally would be servicing non-monorail resorts, so it CAN have an effect. The bus service is inadequate already, this only makes iot worse.
That's an extremely indirect effect. The buses are supposed to run approximately every 20 minutes, and I'm sure that they still will.

puntagordabob

Guests staying at monorail resorts pay a huge premium for monorail access, as seen by the price difference between GF/Poly and WL. Now, these guests will lose that feature during EMH. Guests at other Disney resorts are unaffected, in terms of what Disney actually offers them, because their transport options have remained the same. The fact that you choose to drive to MK makes you an exception to the rule, whereas virtually all guests at GF/Poly expect the monorail to get them to/from MK and Epcot.

Agree.

Wow, talk about thick headed. Yes, it's my decision to drive to the MK. And it's other people's decision to pay that extra sum to stay at a monorail resort. Myself and those fortunate people who stay at the monorail resorts will still be standing together waiting on a ferry come this September. Well, that is if they associate with people from "my group".

is this your group my group association crap?

I think you must be related to my wife. All you've done is dance around my point, trying to validate it by suggesting that I'm upset about the situation. I'm not, but everyone who uses the monorail is affected. Case closed, have a good night.

Your use of a car to drive to the MK is not what the mass majority of POP Century guest would do..... they would take the Bus since its the most direct way to return to the resort. SO WHY would the mass majority take a monorail to leave the MK to return to POP CENTURY???? So therefore the NORMAL affect of this change on a POP Guest would be minimal.....where as it would be substantially more for us at the monorail resorts...heck at the CR we do not even have the option of a boat!

The 3 most expensive resorts on Disney property are on the monorail line. The people staying at those resorts are paying for the convenience of having the monorail. If you're staying at any other resort, you're not paying for monorail convenience.

Well I agree with your point...though I disagree with your part about a non-monorail guest not paying a bit for the monorails because I think they do though a much smaller percentage of their room rate.

Where are these promotions at? I've never seen anything that said "hey, you people staying at the monorail resorts, we've got a monorail for you"!

I belong to DVC and my home resort is the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort... EVERY video ad that I can recall or brochures touted the easy access of the monorail for our stay.....seems to me the IMPLIED perk here is the monorail is there for our use when we are done spending the evening at MK or EPCOT.....there were no *s there denoting "except during EMH" lol

All the attractions are not available during EMH so why would all modes or transportation?

I do not see any connection between an attraction being closed and a form of transportation to my resort as being even remotely similar....

Please inform me on the difference in inconvenience between a Pop guest like me and someone staying at the GF. All I've heard is people yapping about how my inconvenience is "minor" compared to theirs. Well, I can't understand how that is if nobody wants to explain the process.

OK.... If I am at the MK and want to return to the POP Century Resort I walk to the bus stop....board...and off I go....

If I am at the GF Resort I normally hop onto a monorail and off I go....

THESE are the two most convenient routes to these resorts....

What about the boats??? Well they are slow...small..and Oh yeah they are not a lot of fun during the frequent storms here in Florida (lightning and being in an open boat while its raining = magical?) If you are in line for the boats and a storm approaches they shut them all down.... GOOD TIMES! If you are a Guest at the Contemporary Resort you do not even HAVE a direct boat to your resort.....of course you can walk...but what about if a storm is coming or already there.... rather than boarding a monorail you are forced to stay put for however long it storms. MEANWHILE YOU have made it to the bus stop, boarded your bus, and back at your resort relaxing........

My Point seems pretty clear to me.. How about you?

I can see how a smaller boat would be a pain, but then I'd have to ask how many people are actually staying at those resort line hotels at the end of EMH. Would that number be enough to clog up those boats, as opposed to the people staying at other hotels that use the TTC?

Just a question......

Three really close resorts with large Guest capacity all who apparently enjoy the proximity of the MK.....I would say depending on the end time of the EMH there could be quite a few. AND LET US REMEMBER that there would be random surges of Guests leaving after the 1 hour 1 minute making those boats a problem at random intervals throughout the night since the monorail (with a high capacity) would not be availible.

Right, but in the end all 3 lines will be shut down 1 hour after MK closing. Is that correct?

Thats what I understand to be their plan.

So if they have 1 line that supports people from offsite or non monorail hotels, then the people that use them are affected, correct? And those same people are also paying for the privilege of using the monorails, right?

So I understand that people at the resort loop are getting reamed by this decision, but to say that they're the only ones affected is incorrect. They make the choice to stay there, just like I make the choice to drive to the MK.

Non-Monorail Guests pay a substantially smaller dollar amount for the privilege....

Yes people make the choice to stay there because they expect amongst other things the perk of riding the monorail to and from their resort to the various restaurants, activities, and of course the MK and EPCOT.... for ALMOST 40 years THIS HAS BEEN the Practice of the WDW resort....

I pointed out why this change affects the monorail resorts far more than for those who are not staying there.....I will not repeat it again...

As for your choice to drive to the TTC (then hop a monorail or ferry the remainder of the way) that is wonderful and is your choice...but as stated before it really doesnt change the fact the the mass majority of non-monorail resort Guests would tend to take the bus from the MK Exit.....

They close the Express rather early though and use the resort monorail for both the onsite guests and offsite guests.... so your suggestion if implemented would disallow the express monorails some of their maintainence time...

puntagordabob

Good point...and likely would be precisely the case.....

That's an extremely indirect effect. The buses are supposed to run approximately every 20 minutes, and I'm sure that they still will.

:ROFLOL: Key words there are in Bold.....

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where are these promotions at? I've never seen anything that said "hey, you people staying at the monorail resorts, we've got a monorail for you"!

Yes, that deserves...
facepalm.jpg

carly200

From a Disney resort transportation standpoint, Disney has done nothing wrong to you. You're paying $80-100 a night and you still receive the bus service that's always been offered to you. Monorail access is a huge part of why people pick the monorail resorts. Again, people choose those resorts (and pay easily $350-500 a night during many times of the year) for monorail access. You don't choose Pop primarily so you can take the monorail to MK, since the official Disney transport from Pop to any park is a direct bus.

And again, your inconvenience is smaller. Guests at Poly/GF have been able to get to and from MK in 10-15 minutes. With bus service and crowded boat service (since the boat only holds about 35), I expect a much longer commute. There's just no other option for these guests. Your trip will be impacted by 5 minutes at most, since you take the enormous ferry directly to TTC.

Hey, what a nonsense, I completely agree with draybook. The Disney Bus-system is a pain in the a... yes, it works, but it takes forever to get you anywhere... (bad route planing, packed busses...)
I wish they improved on that a lot (using expresslanes and backroads), because there is a lot of potential.

But I remember since I visited ~20 years ago (many times since then...), that Monorail transportation was "the thing", so I was (whether staying on property or not) using it to the magic kingdom or to epcot as a fast means of transportation (the ferry-boats, etc. are like slow-motion)

So just because donald thinks that "monorail-access" is a promised means of transportation for the resorts around the lagoon, I cannot see why this really should be the case...
What makes you think that paying $400/night guarantees you Monorail access? You are just paying for an overpriced (old) hotel, that looks kinda cute and is located in the heart of "old WDW".... that's it....

In the end, yes, reducing monorail service is a big inconvenience probably more for some than for others, but I don't see how paying for (e.g.) the GF actually
promises you on that means of transport...

Monorail access to more resorts + DTD would really give a boost in transportation....
Or a Maglev line to Orlando Airport... take the German Transrapid, great technology, running in Shanghai at really high speeds... that is an attraction (and transportation of the future)... (including low maintenance)

flavious27

and AKL... and Yacht and Beach... and Boardwalk..

I always keep forgetting about them, well akl atleast, I always think of the yacht / boardwalk / beach club as just dvc resorts. But still proves my point that the difference between the monorail resorts is beyond being a monorail resort.

DonaldDoleWhip

I always keep forgetting about them, well akl atleast, I always think of the yacht / boardwalk / beach club as just dvc resorts. But still proves my point that the difference between the monorail resorts is beyond being a monorail resort.
No, it doesn't prove your point, since Poly and Wilderness Lodge are very similar resorts (elaborately themed, family friendly, two pools, MK area) with the key difference being monorail access for Poly. And right now, Poly costs 52% more than Wilderness.

Hey, what a nonsense, I completely agree with draybook. The Disney Bus-system is a pain in the a... yes, it works, but it takes forever to get you anywhere... (bad route planing, packed busses...)
I wish they improved on that a lot (using expresslanes and backroads), because there is a lot of potential.

But I remember since I visited ~20 years ago (many times since then...), that Monorail transportation was "the thing", so I was (whether staying on property or not) using it to the magic kingdom or to epcot as a fast means of transportation (the ferry-boats, etc. are like slow-motion)

So just because donald thinks that "monorail-access" is a promised means of transportation for the resorts around the lagoon, I cannot see why this really should be the case...
What makes you think that paying $400/night guarantees you Monorail access? You are just paying for an overpriced (old) hotel, that looks kinda cute and is located in the heart of "old WDW".... that's it....

In the end, yes, reducing monorail service is a big inconvenience probably more for some than for others, but I don't see how paying for (e.g.) the GF actually
promises you on that means of transport...

Monorail access to more resorts + DTD would really give a boost in transportation....
Or a Maglev line to Orlando Airport... take the German Transrapid, great technology, running in Shanghai at really high speeds... that is an attraction (and transportation of the future)... (including low maintenance)
Wow. I'm both honored and perplexed that your second post in three years was angrily directed at me. Honestly, I don't care what you think.

Okay, the bus system is a pain. That's more than I would say. I'm actually perfectly fine with the buses...if that's what I paid for. At WL, I have to take a bus everywhere except MK, where the bus or boat is an option. I do it, and I'm fine with it. At Pop, in particular, you're basically paying for beds, Disney theming, a pool, and buses to the airport and parks. I bet 99% of people there are fine with the Disney transport that they've been provided.

And yes. I do think that paying for GF should guarantee you monorail access during MK and Epcot's hours of operation (except in the case of an unexpected emergency). It's been that way since GF opened - why wouldn't I expect it? Go to Disney's website and look at Grand Floridian, then click transportation. It says "monorail or boat" to Magic Kingdom. Both have always been an option. And for some guests (handicapped), the boat isn't an option, so they can only take the monorail. A lot of people choose the monorail resorts for this reason, since the monorails are very handicapped and stroller-friendly. Why doesn't the website say "monorail or boat or bus during Evening Extra Magic Hour"? It's misleading. Then look at Pop. The website says bus transportation is provided everywhere. That's what people pay for.

And it's not just because Donald says so. There wouldn't be over 700 posts in this thread if it was only one person who was upset by the decision. And on other websites (DISboards), the discussion has been even hotter and with more people involved. It's not just one angry entitled person - it's many repeat guests at the monorail resorts.

puntagordabob

)

Just so you know... $400 is a cheap room along the monorail route... at my home resort of Bay Lake Tower youll pay $415 for the cheapest room at the cheapest season...that same room is $600 during season...this is the cheapest worst location room at the resort (sleeps 5).... most expensive room is $1,890 for the cheapest season and $2,605 for the same room during season (sleeps 12)...Not that the prices REALLY matter...but I just wanted you to have a perspective as to some real world numbers. (at least for the Bay Lake Tower...) Those of you who are familiar with the other monorail resorts can chime in on prices their if you want....

No, it doesn't prove your point, since Poly and Wilderness Lodge are very similar resorts (elaborately themed, family friendly, two pools, MK area) with the key difference being monorail access for Poly. And right now, Poly costs 52% more than Wilderness.

Wow. I'm both honored and perplexed that your second post in three years was angrily directed at me. Honestly, I don't care what you think.

Okay, the bus system is a pain. That's more than I would say. I'm actually perfectly fine with the buses...if that's what I paid for. At WL, I have to take a bus everywhere except MK, where the bus or boat is an option. I do it, and I'm fine with it. At Pop, in particular, you're basically paying for beds, Disney theming, a pool, and buses to the airport and parks. I bet 99% of people there are fine with the Disney transport that they've been provided.

And yes. I do think that paying for GF should guarantee you monorail access during MK and Epcot's hours of operation (except in the case of an unexpected emergency). It's been that way since GF opened - why wouldn't I expect it? Go to Disney's website and look at Grand Floridian, then click transportation. It says "monorail or boat" to Magic Kingdom. Both have always been an option. And for some guests (handicapped), the boat isn't an option, so they can only take the monorail. A lot of people choose the monorail resorts for this reason, since the monorails are very handicapped and stroller-friendly. Why doesn't the website say "monorail or boat or bus during Evening Extra Magic Hour"? It's misleading. Then look at Pop. The website says bus transportation is provided everywhere. That's what people pay for.

And it's not just because Donald says so. There wouldn't be over 700 posts in this thread if it was only one person who was upset by the decision. And on other websites (DISboards), the discussion has been even hotter and with more people involved. It's not just one angry entitled person - it's many repeat guests at the monorail resorts.

LOL at the bold and agree with your post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom