Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
We always take advantage of extra hours and the ferry has always been running. Besides, if they close the monorail then they'll have to run the ferry, regardless of it's past schedule.

Exactly.

Unless they're going to tell guests to swim across Bay Lake... :lookaroun

draybook

Lol. That's funny because I'm leaving on the 15 to stay stay at the beach club for 3 nights.

We're staying from the 7th til the 15th at Pop. Not going back next year though, as we're going to DL and to see my family that I haven't seen since 1992.

Kamikaze

We're staying from the 7th til the 15th at Pop. Not going back next year though, as we're going to DL and to see my family that I haven't seen since 1992.

So basically, this wouldn't effect you at all, since you aren't staying at a monorail resort.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So basically, this wouldn't effect you at all, since you aren't staying at a monorail resort.

Well actually it would because all those people who are swearing off of staying at a monorail resort due to "limited" monorail service will be clogging up spots at non monorail resorts and this could eliminate availability, drive up prices, and cause generally a grouchy atmosphere at said non monorail resorts.

Kamikaze

Well actually it would because all those people who are swearing off of staying at a monorail resort due to "limited" monorail service will be clogging up spots at non monorail resorts and this could eliminate availability, drive up prices, and cause generally a grouchy atmosphere at said non monorail resorts.

As if. All the people swearing they won't stay there still will. And if they don't, someone else will.

If you figure you pay a 26% premium to stay at the Poly vs the Wilderness Lodge (most comparable) - and you figure ALL of that 26% is the monorail (which it isn't), then shutting down the monorail for 4 hours (the max - about 2% of cost for the day per hour) per night would be an 8-10% discount on the room per night, so instead of $400 a night it would be $360. Would these imaginary people book it now?

DonaldDoleWhip

As if. All the people swearing they won't stay there still will. And if they don't, someone else will.

If you figure you pay a 26% premium to stay at the Poly vs the Wilderness Lodge (most comparable) - and you figure ALL of that 26% is the monorail (which it isn't), then shutting down the monorail for 4 hours (the max - about 2% of cost for the day per hour) per night would be an 8-10% discount on the room per night, so instead of $400 a night it would be $360. Would these imaginary people book it now?
1. We already changed our ressie from GF to WL as a result of the decision. I agree that not many people will actually change their ressie (which is why Disney can easily get away with this), but there are still people out there who are putting their money where their mouth is.

2. The least expensive room at WL right now is $260 rack rate. Poly's least expensive room is $395 rack rate. Usually, they both receive the same discount (or the discount available for Poly isn't as good). So compared to staying at WL, Poly costs 52% more.

3. Again, I don't care about total monorail operation hours. EMH is a heavily advertised resort perk, and it's when many guests plan to spend their late nights at MK. So if twice a week I can't get to/from MK on the monorail during EMH, that's a big problem for me.

Clogging up spots? If only 50 families change their ressie due to this, they probably won't all be at the same resort at the same time anyway. I'm quite aware that most people either aren't aware or don't care about this, so good for them. It's not like the people who feel bothered by this make up a noticeable majority, and once we get to WDW (at a non-monorail resort), it's not like we'll be cranky and bitter and create "a grouchy atmosphere" in some sort of tangible way. I'm sure that most people here who complain about something on the boards are happy when they're actually at WDW. That doesn't make the complaint invalid (and it seems like there have been many new things to complain about this summer, even after an early ticket price increase).

Scuttle

Ya I'm saving up money for us to go to Disneyland next year. Can't wait to finally go! As much as I love WDW I'm very excited to finally visit the original and ride Toad.

Kamikaze

2. The least expensive room at WL right now is $260 rack rate. Poly's least expensive room is $395 rack rate. Usually, they both receive the same discount (or the discount available for Poly isn't as good). So compared to staying at WL, Poly costs 52% more.

Yeah I messed up my original math, but its not 52%, its roughly 34%. ($260 vs $400, for round numbers sake).

200 of 400 = 50%
250 of 400 = 62.5%
275 of 400 = 68.75%
300 of 400 = 75%

Even with those numbers, its still only a 12-15% reduction in room cost at max shutdown ($340-$350 a night)

3. Again, I don't care about total monorail operation hours. EMH is a heavily advertised resort perk, and it's when many guests plan to spend their late nights at MK. So if twice a week I can't get to/from MK on the monorail during EMH, that's a big problem for me.

You still get the EMH perk. You just can't get there or back (after its already been running for an hour, mind you) by monorail. If having the monorail for every other hour besides those 6 per week (2x2 MK EMH, 2 Epcot EMH) isn't worth the extra $140 per night, then its your prerogative to change.

But in reality, Disney should just cut monorail resort room prices by 6% per night while this is in effect. That is 3% per hour that the monorail could be running that a park is still open for EMH (or a party, I guess).

DonaldDoleWhip

Yeah I messed up my original math, but its not 52%, its roughly 34%. ($260 vs $400, for round numbers sake).

200 of 400 = 50%
250 of 400 = 62.5%
275 of 400 = 68.75%
300 of 400 = 75%

Even with those numbers, its still only a 12-15% reduction in room cost at max shutdown ($340-$350 a night)

You still get the EMH perk. You just can't get there or back (after its already been running for an hour, mind you) by monorail. If having the monorail for every other hour besides those 6 per week (2x2 MK EMH, 2 Epcot EMH) isn't worth the extra $140 per night, then its your prerogative to change.

But in reality, Disney should just cut monorail resort room prices by 6% per night while this is in effect. That is 3% per hour that the monorail could be running that a park is still open for EMH (or a party, I guess).
Your math is flawed. Staying at WL is about 34% cheaper than staying at Poly. But staying at Poly is about 52% more than staying at WL. They are not the same number. The premium for staying at Poly is 52% (since you're paying 52% more than you would've paid to be at WL).

And yes, you still get the EMH perk, but you no longer get the monorail during EMH (which is 3 nights per week in August). Guests at Pop get EMH and bus service. Guests at WL get EMH and bus/boat service and pay significantly less despite having the other amenities of a deluxe resort. So no matter what, Poly/GF guests are really losing out since the premium for those resorts is directly related to the monorail.

Kamikaze

Your math is flawed. Staying at WL is about 34% cheaper than staying at Poly. But staying at Poly is about 52% more than staying at WL. They are not the same number. The premium for staying at Poly is 52% (since you're paying 52% more than you would've paid to be at WL).

We're not talking about moving from WL to Poly, its Poly to WL, as in how much you'd save because of this. If you're going to book WL beforehand and this was a problem, obviously you're not going to upgrade to Poly.

And yes, you still get the EMH perk, but you no longer get the monorail during EMH (which is 3 nights per week in August). Guests at Pop get EMH and bus service. Guests at WL get EMH and bus/boat service and pay significantly less despite having the other amenities of a deluxe resort. So no matter what, Poly/GF guests are really losing out since the premium for those resorts is directly related to the monorail.

Both Poly and GF also have boats to MK. And with this, during EMH, they will also have bus service to the appropriate park.
Also, it doesn't matter how many times a week EMH is. Its a 'per night' room rate that you're paying, so thats what you're comparing. On those nights, you're losing a maximum of 2 hours of service while EMH is open and another after close. So 3 hours max. Hence a 6-9% rate reduction.

DonaldDoleWhip

We're not talking about moving from WL to Poly, its Poly to WL, as in how much you'd save because of this. If you're going to book WL beforehand and this was a problem, obviously you're not going to upgrade to Poly.

Both Poly and GF also have boats to MK. And with this, during EMH, they will also have bus service to the appropriate park.
I see what you mean. But still, I think it's a wording thing. The discount from staying at WL vs. Poly is 34%, but the premium to move from WL to Poly is 52%. I agree that in my case, I was moving down (from GF to WL), so the discount is more relevant to me. But in determining what the premium for monorail access is, you have to look at the number to upgrade from WL to Poly (which is 52%). The 34% is the discount you receive for sacrificing being at the Poly.

And re. Poly/GF having bus/boat. Exactly. All they'll have during EMH is what WL currently has (except it will be worse since the boat is already shared and the bus probably will be shared as well, while WL has its own bus and boat). I don't care if the monorail is available for the rest of the day. If it's not available when I need it, then it's no better than being at WL.

captainkidd

I don't care about this as we don't bother with EMH at night at Epcot. As for MK, if we did it, a boat back would be fine with me.

Nevertheless, still another cheap cut made by Disney.

draybook

Ok, I'm confused. Why do people think that those staying at NON-Monorail resorts won't be affected by the change? We drive out rental from Pop to the parks. I have to take the monorail/ferry back to the TTC. So yes, I'll still be affected, I just won't be getting my wallet gouged for staying closer.

DonaldDoleWhip

Ok, I'm confused. Why do people think that those staying at NON-Monorail resorts won't be affected by the change? We drive out rental from Pop to the parks. I have to take the monorail/ferry back to the TTC. So yes, I'll still be affected, I just won't be getting my wallet gouged for staying closer.
I would guess that the ferry has a reasonably good capacity, since there's usually 2 of them and the trip only takes about 7 minutes if I remember correctly. If most guests using EMH rely on Disney transport to get back to their resort, then it's not like the ferry will be overly crowded at 2 AM on an EMH night. You still have an efficient, fair-capacity option to reach the TTC.

Guests at GF/Poly have a shared boat that only seats about 35 people and isn't handicapped-accessible. So that boat isn't a good option if hundreds of people want to get back to GF/Poly (and for some guests, it's not an option at all). So it sounds like they're adding bus service from GF to Poly to compensate, but the bus/boat is no different than what Wilderness Lodge receives for significantly lower room rates.

And besides, if you're staying at Pop, you still have the option of bus service that Disney provides straight to/from MK. You just choose not to use it. Guests at Poly/GF can't just walk or drive to MK. I'd say it's a bigger issue for GF than Poly, since Poly is still a very short walk from the TTC.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Guess I should have included a :p or possibly a :lookaroun in my original post.

Kamikaze

Because that is completely your choice to drive to the parks. You can take the bus and not be effected. Plus, it only effects you at MK if you drive. Epcot you don't have the extra step to worry about.

EvilQueen-T

we have a 3 night trip booked at the poly (discount of course) and when i saw this thread i emailed them and they confirmed that starting in august the monorail would only run one hour after the end of regular hours not through emh. the tone of the email sounded like they plan for it to be permanent.

i specifically booked a monorail resort this trip because i'm traveling alone with my granddaughter and we always do emh and avoid the hottest part of the afternoon. i NEVER take the boats they're soooooo slow and if i knew i'd be on a bus anyway i'd have booked at pofq again and saved some money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom