Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

captainkidd

Ok, I'm confused. Why do people think that those staying at NON-Monorail resorts won't be affected by the change? We drive out rental from Pop to the parks. I have to take the monorail/ferry back to the TTC. So yes, I'll still be affected, I just won't be getting my wallet gouged for staying closer.

With all due respect, why would you drive to the MK if staying at a Disney Resort, especially one with great bus service like Pop Century? Other parks I can see driving, but with the MK, quickest way from a non-monorail resort without question is to just the take the bus.

captainkidd

we have a 3 night trip booked at the poly (discount of course) and when i saw this thread i emailed them and they confirmed that starting in august the monorail would only run one hour after the end of regular hours not through emh. the tone of the email sounded like they plan for it to be permanent.

i specifically booked a monorail resort this trip because i'm traveling alone with my granddaughter and we always do emh and avoid the hottest part of the afternoon. i NEVER take the boats they're soooooo slow and if i knew i'd be on a bus anyway i'd have booked at pofq again and saved some money.

You can change your reservation. Don't stay someplace if you feel it's not worth the price.

draybook

With all due respect, why would you drive to the MK if staying at a Disney Resort, especially one with great bus service like Pop Century? Other parks I can see driving, but with the MK, quickest way from a non-monorail resort without question is to just the take the bus.

Because we like having the freedom of leaving at our whim, and it's a habit. On our first trip we weren't on the dining plan so we just went back to the car to eat lunch.

Because that is completely your choice to drive to the parks. You can take the bus and not be effected. Plus, it only effects you at MK if you drive. Epcot you don't have the extra step to worry about.

And that would be someone's choice to pay extra for a resort that will be losing that perk. See how fun the "choice" game is.

it might just be me, but it seems like perhaps people think I am complaining. That is not the case. The extra little wait at the end of EMH isn't going to bother us. I was just pointing out that the monorail issue affects everybody that goes to the MK via the TTC. yes we choose to drive to the MK, and there are those that choose to stay at a monorail resort.

DonaldDoleWhip

And that would be someone's choice to pay extra for a resort that will be losing that perk. See how fun the "choice" game is.

it might just be me, but it seems like perhaps people think I am complaining. That is not the case. The extra little wait at the end of EMH isn't going to bother us. I was just pointing out that the monorail issue affects everybody that goes to the MK via the TTC. yes we choose to drive to the MK, and there are those that choose to stay at a monorail resort.
I think the "choice game" doesn't work if your choices aren't similar in scale. Choosing to drive to MK is a much smaller decision than choosing which resort to stay at. People choose to pay a huge premium to stay at monorail resorts because of the convenient transport to MK. People choose to stay at Pop because it's cheap and they still receive bus transport everywhere. In terms of what Disney offers, guests of non-monorail resorts are unaffected. Guests at monorail resorts are affected.

bunnyman

I think the "choice game" doesn't work if your choices aren't similar in scale. Choosing to drive to MK is a much smaller decision than choosing which resort to stay at. People choose to pay a huge premium to stay at monorail resorts because of the convenient transport to MK. People choose to stay at Pop because it's cheap and they still receive bus transport everywhere. In terms of what Disney offers, guests of non-monorail resorts are unaffected. Guests at monorail resorts are affected.

I might have missed it in the numerous pages of postings, but are they adding buses in lieu of the monorails for EMH? I've stayed at both the Poly and the Wilderness. I know from the boats that you can have long waits if you just miss the boat and have to wait for the next one. The beauty of the Poly was you could try for the boats, and if you didn't see one you could take either the resort monorail or the express monorail and make the short walk from the TTC to the Poly.

Kamikaze

I might have missed it in the numerous pages of postings, but are they adding buses in lieu of the monorails for EMH? I've stayed at both the Poly and the Wilderness. I know from the boats that you can have long waits if you just miss the boat and have to wait for the next one. The beauty of the Poly was you could try for the boats, and if you didn't see one you could take either the resort monorail or the express monorail and make the short walk from the TTC to the Poly.

Yes, they are adding buses to go with the boat launches.

That doesn't even make sense. Your 'choice' would be akin to someone staying at GF walking to the MK because it would be easier than taking Disney transport.

draybook

That doesn't even make sense. Your 'choice' would be akin to someone staying at GF walking to the MK because it would be easier than taking Disney transport.

Actually, I was responding to someone saying it was my choice to drive to MK. Well, it's other people's choice to stay at the resort that loses the monorail privilege after park closing. The fact is that we'll both still be waiting on a bus or boat.

DonaldDoleWhip

Actually, I was responding to someone saying it was my choice to drive to MK. Well, it's other people's choice to stay at the resort that loses the monorail privilege after park closing. The fact is that we'll both still be waiting on a bus or boat.
You're still missing the point. The choice of your resort is a much bigger choice than choosing how you'll get to MK. In fact, the former choice encompasses the latter - people choose monorail resorts largely because of the monorail service to MK, while people choose Pop for a really cheap resort that has bus transport to all parks.

You still have the bus option that you always had, so regarding the transport that Disney offers you, your trip is unaffected. But guests at GF/Poly will be forced to deal with the bus/boat after EMH.

Obi

isn't everyone affected with having to take the bus/boat? i thought the only ways, at the time, to get to the mk park was either boat or monorail. when you get to the park you still have to take a monorail or boat over. now, they will add busses into the mix because they'll be shutting the monorails down an hour after closing.

doesn't this affect everyone since nobody will be able to take the monorail if they stay for the extra hours, regardless of the resort they are staying at?

DonaldDoleWhip

isn't everyone affected with having to take the bus/boat? i thought the only ways, at the time, to get to the mk park was either boat or monorail. when you get to the park you still have to take a monorail or boat over. now, they will add busses into the mix because they'll be shutting the monorails down an hour after closing.

doesn't this affect everyone since nobody will be able to take the monorail if they stay for the extra hours, regardless of the resort they are staying at?
The Magic Kingdom actually has its own bus stop at the entrance to the park. There's no second monorail/bus required for people taking the bus. So the only people affected are those that use monorail service to get back to their resort, and any resort guest who decides to drive to EMH.

draybook

The Magic Kingdom actually has its own bus stop at the entrance to the park. There's no second monorail/bus required for people taking the bus. So the only people affected are those that use monorail service to get back to their resort, and any resort guest who decides to drive to EMH.

This is what I've been saying the whole time. We choose to drive there because we like having the freedom to come and go at our convenience. We also prefer to roll 4 deep in a full size sedan as opposed to being pressed up against someone's sweaty back in a packed bus after 14 hours in the park.

People choose to shell out major bucks for a beautiful resort with the convenience of being able to take a few steps to the monorail.

Looks like both groups of people will be affected, aye?

DonaldDoleWhip

This is what I've been saying the whole time. We choose to drive there because we like having the freedom to come and go at our convenience. We also prefer to roll 4 deep in a full size sedan as opposed to being pressed up against someone's sweaty back in a packed bus after 14 hours in the park.

People choose to shell out major bucks for a beautiful resort with the convenience of being able to take a few steps to the monorail.

Looks like both groups of people will be affected, aye?
I don't think your group of people has as much to complain about. You yourself have admitted that your personal experience won't be that affected. In addition, most Disney resort guests take advantage of Disney-provided transport.

Your room rate at Pop has always included bus service to all parks. It still does. The fact that you decide to rent a car says nothing about the transport that Disney actually offers you as a resort guest.

Guests staying at monorail resorts pay a huge premium for monorail access, as seen by the price difference between GF/Poly and WL. Now, these guests will lose that feature during EMH. Guests at other Disney resorts are unaffected, in terms of what Disney actually offers them, because their transport options have remained the same. The fact that you choose to drive to MK makes you an exception to the rule, whereas virtually all guests at GF/Poly expect the monorail to get them to/from MK and Epcot.

828tnt

1. We already changed our ressie from GF to WL as a result of the decision. I agree that not many people will actually change their ressie (which is why Disney can easily get away with this), but there are still people out there who are putting their money where their mouth is.

2. The least expensive room at WL right now is $260 rack rate. Poly's least expensive room is $395 rack rate. Usually, they both receive the same discount (or the discount available for Poly isn't as good). So compared to staying at WL, Poly costs 52% more.

3. Again, I don't care about total monorail operation hours. EMH is a heavily advertised resort perk, and it's when many guests plan to spend their late nights at MK. So if twice a week I can't get to/from MK on the monorail during EMH, that's a big problem for me.

perhaps this is the better argument. not EVERYONE is actually AWARE of this reduction. most bookings are probably just "regular" people that are uninformed of such cutbacks. disney won't really have actual feedback until 12- 18 months from now when this sets in and is possibly forgotten.... or some other cutback takes it's place for us tedious "fanbois".

yay statistical average!

DonaldDoleWhip

and AKL... and Yacht and Beach... and Boardwalk..
Exactly. And with the exception of Contemporary's garden wing building (which is small and often used to place guests attending conventions), the monorail room rates all are higher than the rates of other deluxes. A particularly apt comparison is between Poly and WL. Both are deluxes in the MK area with 2 pools (one rocky pool and one quiet pool) with lively themes that appeal to kids, families, and even people looking for romance. Poly has the monorail and boat. WL has the bus and boat. WL's current rack rate for a standard room is $260, while Poly's cheapest room is currently $395. That's a significantly higher price, considering both resorts are deluxe.

perhaps this is the better argument. not EVERYONE is actually AWARE of this reduction. most bookings are probably just "regular" people that are uninformed of such cutbacks. disney won't really have actual feedback until 12- 18 months from now when this sets in and is possibly forgotten.... or some other cutback takes it's place for us tedious "fanbois".

yay statistical average!
Your points make sense. This decision seemed to be quietly announced, and while there have been heavy discussions on lots of different Disney fan sites, that isn't indicative of the actual guests at monorail resorts. I know we make up a minority. Many of these guests might be first timers and not even know what they're missing, but the number who will actually change plans over this is small. And in a year's time, there will be something else to complain about (and I'm willing to bet it will also affect a minority of guests, making it an easy decision to justify), so the monorail cutbacks will be forgotten by all those who weren't seriously affected by the decision.

draybook

I don't think your group of people has as much to complain about. You yourself have admitted that your personal experience won't be that affected. In addition, most Disney resort guests take advantage of Disney-provided transport.

Your room rate at Pop has always included bus service to all parks. It still does. The fact that you decide to rent a car says nothing about the transport that Disney actually offers you as a resort guest.

Guests staying at monorail resorts pay a huge premium for monorail access, as seen by the price difference between GF/Poly and WL. Now, these guests will lose that feature during EMH. Guests at other Disney resorts are unaffected, in terms of what Disney actually offers them, because their transport options have remained the same. The fact that you choose to drive to MK makes you an exception to the rule, whereas virtually all guests at GF/Poly expect the monorail to get them to/from MK and Epcot.

Wow, talk about thick headed. Yes, it's my decision to drive to the MK. And it's other people's decision to pay that extra sum to stay at a monorail resort. Myself and those fortunate people who stay at the monorail resorts will still be standing together waiting on a ferry come this September. Well, that is if they associate with people from "my group".

edit: what I'm trying to get at is that instead of arguing, can we not just agree that all parties that depend on the monorail will be inconvenienced. Some just pay more for the inconvenience.

DonaldDoleWhip

Wow, talk about thick headed. Yes, it's my decision to drive to the MK. And it's other people's decision to pay that extra sum to stay at a monorail resort. Myself and those fortunate people who stay at the monorail resorts will still be standing together waiting on a ferry come this September. Well, that is if they associate with people from "my group".

edit: what I'm trying to get at is that instead of arguing, can we not just agree that all parties that depend on the monorail will be inconvenienced. Some just pay more for the inconvenience.
From a Disney resort transportation standpoint, Disney has done nothing wrong to you. You're paying $80-100 a night and you still receive the bus service that's always been offered to you. Monorail access is a huge part of why people pick the monorail resorts. Again, people choose those resorts (and pay easily $350-500 a night during many times of the year) for monorail access. You don't choose Pop primarily so you can take the monorail to MK, since the official Disney transport from Pop to any park is a direct bus.

And again, your inconvenience is smaller. Guests at Poly/GF have been able to get to and from MK in 10-15 minutes. With bus service and crowded boat service (since the boat only holds about 35), I expect a much longer commute. There's just no other option for these guests. Your trip will be impacted by 5 minutes at most, since you take the enormous ferry directly to TTC.

draybook

I think you must be related to my wife. All you've done is dance around my point, trying to validate it by suggesting that I'm upset about the situation. I'm not, but everyone who uses the monorail is affected. Case closed, have a good night.

DonaldDoleWhip

I think you must be related to my wife. All you've done is dance around my point, trying to validate it by suggesting that I'm upset about the situation. I'm not, but everyone who uses the monorail is affected. Case closed, have a good night.
I'm not dancing around your point - I simply disagree with it. Yes, you will be impacted by a few minutes, but in the grand scheme of things I believe you will be far less impacted by the monorail closure than monorail resort guests, and you're paying far less anyway for your accommodation, and you have no official reason to use the monorail to get to and from the parks since you still have the bus that's always been provided to you. As a monorail resort guest, I feel almost wronged by this decision. If I were staying at a non-monorail resort (as I will be doing in a few days), I would be indifferent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom