Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Does anyone on here have the cost figures for what a monorail actually costs?

I keep seeing suggestions on here to "simply" buy/build new monorails like they can head down to the local Monorails-R-Us and take advantage of a Groupon or something and just pick up new monorails willy-nilly.

I've seen some figures online that range between 3.5 million and 11 million each when the last set were purchased, but don't know how much I can trust those numbers.

Anyone have a good estimate of the true cost if they were to get a brand new monorail?

Kamikaze

I keep seeing suggestions on here to "simply" buy/build new monorails like they can head down to the local Monorails-R-Us and take advantage of a Groupon or something and just pick up new monorails willy-nilly.

I've seen some figures online that range between 3.5 million and 11 million each when the last set were purchased, but don't know how much I can trust those numbers.

Anyone have a good estimate of the true cost if they were to get a brand new monorail?

Quite simply: A lot. The number for the current trains (started service in 1989) was $11 million. Even just adjusting those to inflation, you're talking $20m per train. I venture to guess that the actual cost would be even higher than that.

It's basically 7/10ths of a mile for that walk. It's roughly the same walk as from Spaceship earth to the American Adventure.

Not a walk I'd want to do at 2am after a 15+hr day. But that's just me

If they put another little bridge in to cross over to GF it would be 1/2 a mile beyond the resort monorail stop. After a 15+ hour day I don't think I would want to either, but I also wouldn't want to stand in line for more then 20 minutes when I could be back in the room already asleep. Given this option at DHS we choose the walk to BC. But then again we don't go to the park for 15 hours at a time, 5-6 is enough for us then we go back for a break, then back for more.

I still think it would help might lessen the need for more busses and boats during this time and increase choice and therefore customer satisfaction.

Pioneer Hall

The only way to get your hands on that information is to work in the area. Even if someone was privy to that information here, they would be out of their minds to share it with us. That stuff is strictly confidential.

TestTrack

They will still be running the resort boats (the ones that drop off at GF and Poly) and at that time of night I can guarantee you will probably get on the first boat at the dock.

The reactions of some of these people is absolutely absurd. EMH Evening at MK is ONE NIGHT out of the week people. Unless you're planning on staying 3 weeks and hitting every MK Evening EMH this change is going to affect you VERY little. Get over yourselves.

What about Epcot?

During the time I will be there MK closes at 8-9PM so EMH honly goes to midnight. Epcot closes at 9:30 so that also lets me stay there to 12:30AM. Taking advantage of these hours is huge when we are there. Staying at the Poly, I am still renting a car but boy does it seem stupid to end up having to use it to get to a monorail serviced park. Part of our justification for going to Poly is the ease of getting from park to park.

This decision is pure BS, I will be writing.

Lee

Adventurer
Quite simply: A lot. The number for the current trains (started service in 1989) was $11 million. Even just adjusting those to inflation, you're talking $20m per train. I venture to guess that the actual cost would be even higher than that.

No way would it cost that much. Plenty of companies out there can build new trains for a lot less. $20mil should replace the whole fleet, if properly contracted.

bryPOD

Seems like a bad move, honestly. I once enjoyed a nice night at the Poly, only to take the monorail to MK to enjoy the last hour of an EMHs.

Buried20KLeague

This is the kind of thing that has DL getting my money for the foreseeable future. We've got 2 trips completed to DL in the past 4 months with two more planned in the next 5. Probably another aftr Carsland opens. That's all money WDW won't see.

Nothing about WDW is begging me to visit right now. There's plenty at DL.

I suggest all of you that can, do the same.

space42

And no one here can tell us that the Walt Disney Company has less money now than it did in 1989. How in the world did they manage to replace the entire fleet then without running the company into the ground? Keep in mind that was just 7 years after expanding the Monorail to include EPCOT Center along with building that park.
1989 was also the same year they built MGM studios - but now people excuse Disney for not upgrading / replacing the monorail because they are expanding Fantasyland?

Justify it all you want.. Disney has the money, but they can get away with not spending it and people will defend it as 'smart business'.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pocket money.

Thrill

And no one here can tell us that the Walt Disney Company has less money now than it did in 1989. How in the world did they manage to replace the entire fleet then without running the company into the ground? Keep in mind that was just 7 years after expanding the Monorail to include EPCOT Center along with building that park.
1989 was also the same year they built MGM studios - but now people excuse Disney for not upgrading / replacing the monorail because they are expanding Fantasyland?

Justify it all you want.. Disney has the money, but they can get away with not spending it and people will defend it as 'smart business'.

They also opened Wonders of Life that year, if I remember correctly. And this was a few years after it was looking like Disney would end up being sold.

I just don't get how anyone, as a consumer, can justify a company cutting costs and cutting quality. You're spending more money than ever to visit WDW, and the quality you're getting in return is decreasing.

Uncle Lupe

I call for a vote of no confidence.

It may only affect you a few days a year if you are lucky but that could turn into a real suck-fest.

How long after EMH in the evening to the buses run?

Today's decline in standards becomes tomorrow's normal in standards and that is sad trend happening all over the resort.

TalkingHead

I find it interesting how so many people comment on how cheap Disney is when they make a change people don't like, but never comment positively on the money they do spend. When you're running a vacation empire you can't just thrown money around like its worthless. Whether the majority here agrees with it or not, they are investing a lot of money into the MK right now in the FLE. I could probably go on for a while with other maintenance projects, resort builds and rehabs, new Star Tours, etc...but I digress.

The trains at Disneyland were literally falling apart. No joke, they actually put nets underneath areas of the track to catch monorail parts. If DL didn't replace their trains then they would have had to get rid of their monorail system altogether. A single monorail train would cost millions of dollars, and there is a big difference between affording something and making a sound investment at the right time. I can afford a BMW right now, but that doesn't mean it would be wise of me to go out and purchase one so I won't. Big business with a big reputation doesn't mean that you have unlimited resources. Unfortunately if we went by the demands of the fan population Disney would probably have the best bankrupt parks in the world.

There is an important lesson that I learned in life from some of the work experiences I have had. It is very easy to criticize something until you experience the challenges first hand. Since I learned some of those lessons the hard way and have had to apologize to those I criticized in the past I now look at things with a bit of a more open mind. Don't let the fairytale story behind Disney make you think that they aren't a company with a desire to make money. Walt might have been a dreamer and innovator, but he also wasn't stupid. Him and Roy knew how to make money and that still holds true today.

Anyone who can defend what's going on at WDW now is an apologist of the highest degree.

Bilk the customer.

Offer less.

Maximize profits in the short term.

That's Disney's sound business strategy in Florida.

BalooChicago

No way would it cost that much. Plenty of companies out there can build new trains for a lot less. $20mil should replace the whole fleet, if properly contracted.

Even if they only went to Bombardier, when the current fleet was built they were essentially one-offs with start-up costs, etc. Bombardier is building monorails for cities around the globe, and is even building a new monorail test track. New WDW trainsets would essentially be "semi-custom" and not need as much development as they did in the 80s.

draybook

Not that I support this event, but how can there be any healthy person complaining about the walk to the Contemporary? If you've been walking the park for "15 hours" as some have said, then that little stretch should be a piece of cake. Yeah, you're paying for the perk, but until enough people stand up against TDO and get this changed then you have to adapt.

I see everyone's point though. I'm just a little guy staying at PoP but I think it will be interesting to see all of those people trying to leave after EMH, and I'm going during off-season in September.

Scuttle

It may only affect you a few days a year if you are lucky but that could turn into a real suck-fest.

Today's decline in standards becomes tomorrow's normal in standards and that is sad trend happening all over the resort.

Ya so very true. It use to be and up until a few years back that people didn't mind spending a S**t ton of money to visit WDW because of extraordinary customer service. This has totally changed and it shows that Disney just wants to soak up as much money as possible. Go back to your values and standards my god. Believe in them and never abandoned them. I thought Disney was high quality branded entertainment. Not so much anymore!

Kamikaze

I have to disagree with you here. Look at the cost of other monorail systems being built around the world (not World) and $15-20m per train is probably more than accurate.

Another no-confidence vote? How did that turn out last time? Not so good, as I remember. You kicked out the guy that saved the company for Iger. Can't imagine who would be next.

draybook

I wonder how many people will be trying to use the "reservation excuse" at the Contemporary to save themselves from having to get back to the TTC?

AMartin767

Tell Disney your not happy with this decision

Hello everyone. I have to start by saying that I believe this decision is right up there with some of the worst that Disney Park Operations has ever made. The logistical and financial impacts that can occur from such a decision are substantial.

I put in a call to Guest Communications at the park:

1-407-824-2222

and spoke with a very nice cast member to voice my disappointment with the decision. Not surprisingly, the first two numbers I called led me to cast members who were just as surprised by the decision as the rest of us. I voiced my reasons for disappointment very calmly and clearly over a 15 minute or so call. At the end of the call, the cast member thanked me for my comments and suggested strongly that I put my thoughts in writing through email. I am encouraging anyone/everyone here as well as those you know to do the same. The cast member assured me that writing was the most effective way to communicate your concerns. Here is the email address she provided for this communication:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

If you feel as strongly as I do about the serious nature of this decision, please take the time to write to Disney and let them know. I only add this, please be kind and considerate with your words. I know you may be very upset by this situation but we should all continue to be respectful of Disney and its employees when making these types of communications. Argue your points as to why this is a bad idea, don't just write to complain without offering valid points of contention.

Thanks and hopefully this decision won't stand as a permanent one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom