Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

flynnibus

Premium Member
They will still be running the resort boats (the ones that drop off at GF and Poly) and at that time of night I can guarantee you will probably get on the first boat at the dock.

The launches are very under utilized now because they aren't the preferred method. Make them the ONLY method and your assumption falls apart.

The reactions of some of these people is absolutely absurd. EMH Evening at MK is ONE NIGHT out of the week people. Unless you're planning on staying 3 weeks and hitting every MK Evening EMH this change is going to affect you VERY little. Get over yourselves.

Check your own calendar - it's two nights a week during the summer. And again.. customer service. It doesn't matter if you ate 15 meals at the resort.. you still expect service at the 16th meal. Or if I'm there 3 days, or 10 days, I expect the same level of quality and experience on everyday of my trip.

If I'm going there for a week, why should almost 1/3rd of the time should I not have the monorail available to go home from the MK?

jlandis44

This is a very interesting debate, but can someone help boil this down...I've seen this question asked, but not answered (admittedly I didn't read a subset of the posts...very long thread)...

I always drive to FL from MD. (The TSA and airlines in general are evil.) I always stay on property to use the EMH. I most always drive my personal car to the parks to avoid wasting time waiting for Disney Transportation to show up. So, does this change mean that when I park my car at the TTC, if I stay for EMH beyond the 1 hour after closing window, I will have to take the big, slow ferryboats from MK to the TTC? I've just never paid close enough attention to the transportation situation at MK since I always used the monorail, but do they even run busses from MK to the TTC? That seems a little bit like a huge waste of fuel...anyway, how do non-monorail resort guests who drive their own vehiches get back to those vehicles during evening EMH, and what are the available options without a monorail? Just want to understand the complete picture before I pass judgement on this change. Thanks!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This is a very interesting debate, but can someone help boil this down...I've seen this question asked, but not answered (admittedly I didn't read a subset of the posts...very long thread)...

I always drive to FL from MD. (The TSA and airlines in general are evil.) I always stay on property to use the EMH. I most always drive my personal car to the parks to avoid wasting time waiting for Disney Transportation to show up. So, does this change mean that when I park my car at the TTC, if I stay for EMH beyond the 1 hour after closing window, I will have to take the big, slow ferryboats from MK to the TTC? I've just never paid close enough attention to the transportation situation at MK since I always used the monorail, but do they even run busses from MK to the TTC? That seems a little bit like a huge waste of fuel...anyway, how do non-monorail resort guests who drive their own vehiches get back to those vehicles during evening EMH, and what are the available options without a monorail? Just want to understand the complete picture before I pass judgement on this change. Thanks!

I attended an EMH night at MK over Memorial Day Weekend, and I seem to remember the ferries running to the TTC. And I only say that because I was standing in line for the ferry back to the Wilderness Lodge at the time. I can't see there being a further reduction in transportation options on these nights with the monorails being taken out of the equation, particularly with so many guests doing the same thing as you. I too often drive my car when staying on-site, since it can often be an easier option than using Disney transportation (we like to stay at the FW cabins, where the busses can be onerous to take).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Yes you'll be going on the ferry back to the TTC once the monorail system stops operation 1 hour after regular park close.

At busy times they also run busses from MK to TTC, but that is fairly rare.

Pioneer Hall

Yes, you most likely will be taking the Ferry Boat since they probably won't run a bus to the TTC.

misterID

I think there are a few people forgetting that you're supposed to have high expectations for WDW resorts. And you know what, they wanted to exceed those expectations. That's why they call you a guest and not a customer, or visitor.

They charge a lot of money for what they offer. But it's always been worth it... Now, not so much. I don't mind the increased ticket prices and such, I really don't. Not when you see that there's a reason for it, as in expanding, plussing, upgrading your park, like at DLR, not cutting back and cutting corners and upping the price to cover your dropped attendance. And really, this isn't just about the monorail.

If they were repairing things at Disney with duct tape and chickenwire, out in the open, for everyone to see, we'd have the same people saying in this thread "Look at it from their perspective... It's about cost. It's good business sense... It cost a lot to maintain an attraction... You know how much it would cost to actually repair that?... Look how long that ride operates... Just don't go anymore!"

I'm sure TDO loves you, guys. :)

We all know that TWDC if a master at creating feedback surveys that create the data that they want to hear.

Well, if DLR starts performing better fiscally, and WDW starts performing worse fiscally, it should send a message that maybe the DLR business-model is the one that should be followed at both parks. I realize that it's highly improbable that this one event will cause that to occur, but it could occur over time. Just like if ticket sales were $300m for Cars 3 but only $30m for Pirates 4 (obviously not the actual case, used for illustrative purposes only). Which one do you think would get the "future investment" of another sequel?

Of course, the problem is that if it did occur at the parks, Disney would likely just concoct some survey to explain away why it happened and bring the same cuts to DLR.

As for this news in general, I think it's very indicative of "Declining By Degrees," and regardless of whether Disney expressly advertises "full-time monorail service at the Deluxes," guest perception is what matters. If this causes a decent number of guests to jump ship and stay at the Swlaphin or even a Disney moderate, then it was a bad (business) decision. If bookings don't really change, and only a few fanboys online (many of whom probably don't stay at Deluxe resorts anyway--so truly their opinions don't matter) complain, it's a victory.

We've never stayed at a MK Deluxe, anyway, so I really can't get too up in arms over this. It does re-affirm my decision to stay at the Epcot Deluxes, though.

These!

Cosmic Commando

The monorail serves 3 of 23 resorts on property. The majority of guests are unaffected by this change. The only ones that are are the ones that decide to stay until 3 am when the park closes at midnight and I can tell you from having personally worked many an EMH night that thats not a lot of people. And those people are a representation of the guests staying across property. The minuscule amount of them that are staying at a monorail resort I'm sure does not justify the cost of keeping the monorail lines up that late.

83% of resort guests have to take a bus regardless. Is it really going to kill you to take on or worse, walk across the street, on the off chance you're there that late one night out of your trip?

1. What about January 2012, when MK will be closing at 8 for 18 out of 31 days? Keep in mind that includes the post New Year's period. From January 9-31, it closes at 8 P.M. 18 out of 24 days. This means monorail service stops at 9 on the MK/resort line, before Illuminations ends and before many people would be done with dinner at monorail resort restaurants. DtD is NOT a quick jaunt from the MK resorts!

2. What about party nights? MK is just as closed for MNSSHP and MVMCP as it is for EMH. Maybe more so. That means service stops at 8.

3. These monorails have been in service for 22 years. That is as long as any domestic (don't know about Japan) Disney monorails have been in service.

Pioneer Hall

1. What about January 2012, when MK will be closing at 8 for 18 out of 31 days? Keep in mind that includes the post New Year's period. From January 9-31, it closes at 8 P.M. 18 out of 24 days. This means monorail service stops at 9 on the MK/resort line, before Illuminations ends and before many people would be done with dinner at monorail resort restaurants. DtD is NOT a quick jaunt from the MK resorts!

2. What about party nights? MK is just as closed for MNSSHP and MVMCP as it is for EMH. Maybe more so. That means service stops at 8.

3. These monorails have been in service for 22 years. That is as long as any domestic (don't know about Japan) Disney monorails have been in service.

As has been normal with the monorail operations, it will probably still run one hour after the latest park closing on the line. So even if the EMH hours at the MK start at 8, I don't see the Monorail shutting down before 10 to get the regular day guest out of Epcot.

This was planned for a long time. The personalized bricks in front of the Magic Kingdom and in the Poly/GF area were advertised as a "Walk Around the World" because they were originally going to link everything together. It's a great shame it was never finished.

I think now they have a perfect motivation to finish the project.

Lee

Adventurer
*sigh*

I believe the term is "declining by degrees."

Doesn't matter how many guests it effects. Doesn't matter if they think they can save a few bucks.

It's the loss of a Disney service that was (and still should be) taken for granted.

If I recall correctly, and I believe I do, COURTESY comes before EFFICIENCY in the Keys to the Kingdom.

Or has TDO lost their copy of that list....

:(

puntagordabob

As has been stated before in the thread, the ferry boats will continue to run for guests at both the GF and Poly. And for those handicapped/ECV guests, there are boats large enough to accommodate them as well.

The boats I have boarded to the resorts from the MK to the Poly/GF have forced me to fold my teenage son's wheelchair and "bearhug" carry him aboard.... not sure which boats you were riding but they certainly were not the ones I have apparently experienced.

Also...your mention of the boats forgets those who are at the Contemporary Resort who are apparently just plain on their own to get back to their resort.

That seems a little bit like a huge waste of fuel...anyway, how do non-monorail resort guests who drive their own vehiches get back to those vehicles during evening EMH, and what are the available options without a monorail? Just want to understand the complete picture before I pass judgement on this change. Thanks!

Walk or maybe ride a boat to the Poly and walk from there... of course there is the question of the ride back to your car. Certainly no tram service from the Poly....and back at the TTC with no monorails I wonder if the next extension of their logic will be no trams.... all and all it sounds distressing.... suppose we will have to wait to see how they work "Plussing" of the transportation system.

I think there are a few people forgetting that you're supposed to have high expectations for WDW resorts. And you know what, they wanted to exceed those expectations. That's why they call you a guest and not a customer, or visitor

+1 !!!!! Disney spent decades building up this "expectation" as their corporate policy.... this move on their part is a glaring inconsitency with what we have been taught by them to expect.

I'm sure TDO loves you, guys. :)

I imagine they do... of course who is not to say that some of those who support this change do not actually work for TDO and are simply seeding the discussion!?!?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, does this change mean that when I park my car at the TTC, if I stay for EMH beyond the 1 hour after closing window, I will have to take the big, slow ferryboats from MK to the TTC?

Yes, you'd take the ferry to TTC, and then walk or tram to your car.

The MK is a park you may consider riding your resort bus to though.. since the resort buses skip the TTC.. but you get to deal with the human sea that is the MK bus terminal. It all depends on timing

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The boats I have boarded to the resorts from the MK to the Poly/GF have forced me to fold my teenage son's wheelchair and "bearhug" carry him aboard.... not sure which boats you were riding but they certainly were not the ones I have apparently experienced.

Also...your mention of the boats forgets those who are at the Contemporary Resort who are apparently just plain on their own to get back to their resort.

The motor cruisers that currently run between MK and FW/WL can accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs without any changeover....

The Contemporary also has motor launches that travel between the resort and MK. But I'm sure the motor cruisers would be placed into service for stops there as well, both because they can carry more people, and for their handicap accessibility.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
*sigh*

I believe the term is "declining by degrees."

Doesn't matter how many guests it effects. Doesn't matter if they think they can save a few bucks.

It's the loss of a Disney service that was (and still should be) taken for granted.

If I recall correctly, and I believe I do, COURTESY comes before EFFICIENCY in the Keys to the Kingdom.

Or has TDO lost their copy of that list....

:(
safety over courtesy

Kamikaze

And for the nth time, if it's not a lot of people, it shouldn't be a lot of train needed to maintain the service for them.

The monorail, holding less than 400 guests at once, has always been horribly inefficient for guest transportation. That is the major reason why it was never expanded to other resorts. Other than cost, of course.

I drive.. so will they still have the ferry avaliable to people to drive?I stay @ POP usually but always rent a car

Of course.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Late to the party here.

This can't be considered anything other then a cost cutting measure. You claim maintenance issues, monorails running too many hours. Simple solution, build more monorails.

Lee

Adventurer
safety over courtesy
And that applies in this instance how?

If there is a safety issue with the trains or the rail, it should be addressed immediately. Any and all repairs should be made with no delay so as to allow the Monorails to maintain a full schedule of service.

Surely the thought process isn't "the trains/rails are unsafe, so rather than fix them let's just use them a few hours a week less. That way we won't have to spend any money to repair/replace them."
(Though that wouldn't be surprising....)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom